Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doonbeg Beach/Donald Trump

Options
  • 12-02-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

With Mr Trump after buying Doonbeg Golf Course and resort could we be looking at restricted acess to the beach?He strikes me as the sort of guy who wouldnt think twice of blocking off the acess that crosses one of the holes to the beach.Also is there an other way to gain acess to the beach,this is the way i have used all the time ive been surfing there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I was thinking the same thing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Plenty of context here:
    http://longboardirl.fr.yuku.com/topic/5421
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055691621

As long as the WCSC maintains its good relations with management in the golf club then what Mr. Trump doesn't know wont hurt him.

How do the locals feel about the purchase? Good for the community?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Trump is loaded enough to build a tunnel under the fairway to keep everyone happy, 15M bargain, the last owners spent 175M doing it up already,

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

seachto7 wrote: »

Im sure they are happy about it will be a big boost to the area and keep the 200 people in the hotel employed not to mention create more jobs in the long run.

Trump Jr was on Today FM yesterday and the question was asked about beach acess and he said it will stay the same.

A tunnel could be a very strong possibilty there is room to do it and they arent short of a few bob either so im sure cost wont be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BZ wrote: »
    Im sure they are happy about it will be a big boost to the area and keep the 200 people in the hotel employed not to mention create more jobs in the long run.

Trump Jr was on Today FM yesterday and the question was asked about beach acess and he said it will stay the same.

A tunnel could be a very strong possibilty there is room to do it and they arent short of a few bob either so im sure cost wont be a problem.

he didn't understand the question. He thought it meant access to the club and its facilities. his answer reflected this. he went on to say it wont be an exclusive club where only the rich get access. Lots of clubs in America and other places are so exclusive no one living in the area can afford to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

There is a 2011 documentary about this very subject about trump and a links course in Scotland. You've been trumped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

BZ wrote: »
    With Mr Trump after buying Doonbeg Golf Course and resort could we be looking at restricted acess to the beach?He strikes me as the sort of guy who wouldnt think twice of blocking off the acess that crosses one of the holes to the beach.Also is there an other way to gain acess to the beach,this is the way i have used all the time ive been surfing there.

If you have a 4wd you can drive on to the beach at the southern entrance.

Anyone interview any of the locals yet to see what they think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I am a regular on the beach, as far as I know all the trouble with access had been sorted out.
    I'm sure if they buy the resort they'll have to accept that.
    There's a surfer's entrance and it'll stay that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I am a regular on the beach, as far as I know all the trouble with access had been sorted out.
    I'm sure if they buy the resort they'll have to accept that.
    There's a surfer's entrance and it'll stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Have surfed there for twenty years and was quite involved over the years on various issues down there, the access will stay.

As for mention of a tunnel, that would be a disaster and would never work, let alone be safe. The dunes are a dynamic system, you cannot introduce a fixed structure such as a tunnel. But again, personal safety fro users would be key and impossible to maintain. This issue / proposal was raised by a councillor during some of the review sessions years ago, it was ridiculous then and it still is.

Donald or his sons will be as welcome to paddle out at Doughie as the next lad, I would even let him take a set wave as he is a tourist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Sounds like your mellowing with age :D

What about his hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

What about his hair?

reckon that is best left on the beach, I am sure he has a little case for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Advertisement