Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pearl15

Can someone please help need knitting classes on a Passap Duomatic knitting machine for dummies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Hi guys!

Was wondering if you could direct me to some online knitting shops? I know of springwool but was wondering if there was a few more. I have tried ebay as well a few times but would just like to know if there is a few more out there that I could browse through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Hi guys!

Was wondering if you could direct me to some online knitting shops? I know of springwool but was wondering if there was a few more. I have tried ebay as well a few times but would just like to know if there is a few more out there that I could browse through :)

Hi,
    I've used thewoolshop.ie
    love knitting.co.uk

If you sign up to their newsletters they send you a free pattern and discount codes. Thewoolshop are brilliant as well. I get next day delivery most times from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I think I've already mentioned it on this thread, but I usually use:

Deramores
    Love Knitting
    Black Sheep Wools. Black Sheep have a brilliant clearance section and I've picked up more than a few bargains there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

kandr10 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've used thewoolshop.ie
    love knitting.co.uk

If you sign up to their newsletters they send you a free pattern and discount codes. Thewoolshop are brilliant as well. I get next day delivery most times from them.
    I think I've already mentioned it on this thread, but I usually use:

Deramores
    Love Knitting
    Black Sheep Wools. Black Sheep have a brilliant clearance section and I've picked up more than a few bargains there.

Awesome stuff!! Thanks guys! Being a big help :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Hello people complete newbie here, decided to get my first pair of knitting needles and some wool over Christmas. Here's x2pic of my first piece so far. Its an infinity scarf with two different types of stitch. Not perfect but pretty pleased to have made a wearable piece on my first attempt! :)

Please have a look and let me know if I did it right, its supposed to be bunny stitch + drop stitch. Also any criticisms welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Pearl15 wrote: »
    Can someone please help need knitting classes on a Passap Duomatic knitting machine for dummies!!

Hi, I can't help with actual lessons, and I have a different knitting machine to you, but to get you started you could search youtube and you will find video tutorials for the Passap,
    look at this search: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Passap+Duomatic+knitting+machine+&sm=3
    hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

Hi guys!

Aimee Rose is a very good wool shop based in Citywest SC.
    They also have a website...knittingcrochetwool.com and a facebook page too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Hi guys!

Check out this thread you might find something there:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291879&page=22

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Having found out about Continental knitting while working on my Christmas projects (a pair of jumpers for my niece and nephew) I decided to continue with my regular style (English) until I wasn't up against a deadline and try Continental after Xmas. So I started a novelty Hulk scarf for my son a few days ago and decided to do the fiddly bits at the start English style and then the bulk, which is just plain/purl in a straight line in Continental. So for the last two nights I've been knitting in this style with the help of some youtube tutorials.

I think it's going ok. I'm definitely not any quicker at the moment, probably be a bit slower in fact, but I bet if I get to grips with Continental knitting will be significantly quicker, with less risk of getting a sore arm from repetition. I can also imagine that colour work will be infinitely easier, as I kept getting in a mad tangle when doing my nephew's jumper. I'm finding tow things really difficult. One is that I haven't found a way to hold the wool in my left hand in a way that feels natural and the other is that I have to really work at making my stitches loose enough as it's very easy to end up with incredibly tight stitches when knitting this way. Other than that, I just don't feel like I'm knitting as I've always seen the act of knitting as a bit flamboyant and Continental is very minimalist in it's movements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I never knew what either term meant, but aftrer looking at a video I realised that I kinds knit like that, I have the yarn through my left middle finger and I pull the yarn through with the right needle.

Thats just the way I was thought but the nuns. My knitting does slant a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Hi guys!

Here are some more Irish ones:
    This is Knit Powerscourt Townhouse Centre
    Winnie's Craft Cafe Blackrock Dublin
    Vibes and Scribes Bridge st Cork.
    The Yarn Room online only

Also, on Ravelry, in the Irish Knitters group, there's a whole list of actual and online Yarn Shops(15 listed today, 11th Jan 2014) in Ireland, if people reading this would like to visit their local Yarn Shops in person,or try out new online ones. Or to find out if there's a yarn shop to visit in a place they are going to, etc. Do go check it out!:)
    Ravelry is free and easy to join, absolutely wonderful resource for all things yarny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Hi guys!

My sister and myself have found that the www.craftersbasket.com in Sligo fantastic. They are so helpful and very competitive in price.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I go to Knitwits and Crafty Stitchers in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I ended up ripping the neckband on my finished jumper last week and I knit another neckband and it turned out much better.

I started on a skirt during the week. It was turned out very well. The instructions had me doing it in parts and joining up the knitted bits using what they called a 3 needle join. It was turning out very well last night when I was doing the 3 needle join until I dropped a stitch. I tried to save it but it got lost into my knitting. I then had to rib back on the parts that I joined. I was able to save one piece of knitting but the other knit piece, I couldn't save. I'm knitting today redoing the one that I lost.

I'm making an alpaca DK lace hat & scarf at the moment. I'll post up pix when I'm done, but was wondering which would be the best way to block the scarf? The hat doesn't need to be blocked IMO

TIA! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Id try just pin and spray and if not happy move to steam from the iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Hi guys!

The Constant Knitter in Francis Street, Dublin 8 has a great selection and do online shopping. I haven't bought anything there yet but I've done loads of window shopping.........one day soon, when my unfinished projects aren't, I'll be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭emo72

someone wants to knit a nice mans scarf for me. how many rolls of wool should i buy? thanks

emo72 wrote: »
    someone wants to knit a nice mans scarf for me. how many rolls of wool should i buy? thanks

Depends on the length, and type of wool to be used. I'd suggest a nice Aran. Again, it depends how long the ball of wool is. I made a cable & moss stitch scarf for my father-in-law and used three balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran which is about 95m per ball. It was short as he liked to tuck the scarf into his coat.

I'd go back and ask the nice person making you the scarf to advise further...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭emo72

Depends on the length, and type of wool to be used. I'd suggest a nice Aran. Again, it depends how long the ball of wool is. I made a cable & moss stitch scarf for my father-in-law and used three balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran which is about 95m per ball. It was short as he liked to tuck the scarf into his coat.

I'd go back and ask the nice person making you the scarf to advise further...

wow thanks for the quick reply, boards always delivers! your scarf sounds nice and i dont want it too long. so 4 rolls would be safe enough.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Finished the Hulk scarf I was doing, pretty pleased with it as it was mainly a practice project.

1531601_799810626701395_1020244292_n.jpg1512451_799810743368050_1273655795_n.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

That looks fantastic!

I got involved in a knitting swap on tumblr, and for some reason have decided to make a hat for the first time for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

That Hulk scarf is so cute! Have you got a pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sunshine77

Hi just started back at knitting and doing a very simple sleeveless jumper for a baby. Currently doing the front and finished one side of the v neck where I had to drop stitches etc and ended with the correct amount of stitches:) I was just about to start the second side of the v neck when I realised I hadn't a clue what to do with the wool. Do I break it? Or just continue as normal? Please someone brilliant at knitting out there help?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

sunshine77 wrote: »
    Hi just started back at knitting and doing a very simple sleeveless jumper for a baby. Currently doing the front and finished one side of the v neck where I had to drop stitches etc and ended with the correct amount of stitches:) I was just about to start the second side of the v neck when I realised I hadn't a clue what to do with the wool. Do I break it? Or just continue as normal? Please someone brilliant at knitting out there help?

Break the wool, join on to the next side to be done. Has the shoulder seam been cast off?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

So I'm still trying to turn my cardigan/bolero into a shrug, but in the meantime I'm just about to start a ring bearers pillow with the left over mohair, going to keep it simple and just do a basket weave pattern I've done it before with dk so hoping it will work as well with this wool

So I'm still trying to turn my cardigan/bolero into a shrug, but in the meantime I'm just about to start a ring bearers pillow with the left over mohair, going to keep it simple and just do a basket weave pattern I've done it before with dk so hoping it will work as well with this wool

We'll need to see a photo of that! going mad I never thought to make one for my wedding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Think I may have solved the bolero problem by turning it into a ballet wrap.... I'm not sure tho, would love some opinions/ feedback

• Advertisement

I think it's lovely, really pretty.

Advertisement