Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good god whats that smell

Options
  • 02-09-2008 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

this question is to both sexes really.
    Question: do you think young females(16-25, or there abouts) wear waaay too much perfume??
    I was on the bus there today and we pull up to a stop in blackrock. On gets 4 rather good looking females, who sit a in 2 rows up ahead of me. For the rest of the journey i was thinking only about one thing, how revolting they smelt. They were all wearing perfume, plenty of it, but i thought it was more than necessary and ,although its intentions were meant to make the female smell good, i thought it did the exact opposite.
    is it just me or is it just me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Overpowering perfume/aftershave makes me want to vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

People wear perfume to smell nice but a lot of the time that's also directed at the opposite sex to attract them - mad thing is that it's pheronomes (natural secretion) that attract the opposite sex and all we do when we wear perfum is mask that.

We should all be naturally smelly to score instead :P

Were they wearing 'Eden' ? - that perfume makes me wanna barf and then barf some more and then keep barfing and after that barf some more :( sorry to all you Eden wearers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭e05bf05a

im male so i wudn no any of those perfumes, ugz or or prada could be perfume makes for all i care.
    i just hate that when ur with a girl, like the ones in question, u cant but not have the question ,' did u f**king bathe in it', in the back or ur mind.
    i find it a real turn off. why cant women just be themselves and not mini-clones of all there friends who do it, fake tan really pisses the sh*te out of me

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

e05whatever, please use your full keyboard :)

In answer to the question: yes, it is incredibly annoying when people wear too much perfume. And the people who wear it always pick the most horrible perfumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Maybe the four of them were wearing nice perfume, but when combined together it was really strong? Lots of scents can clash horribly, if they had four different types that might also have happened.

• Advertisement

e05bf05a wrote: »
    fake tan really pisses the sh*te out of me

Yeah man but if ya knew the trouble, oh the trouble that women go to to look like oompa loompas just for ya you'd appreciate the oranginess then ;)

I know it's terrible stuff but with this goddam climate we've two choices: death like or orangeade? No choice weally :(

Perfume is poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

e05bf05a wrote: »
    this question is to both sexes really.
    Question: do you think young females(16-25, or there abouts) wear waaay too much perfume??
    I was on the bus there today and we pull up to a stop in blackrock. On gets 4 rather good looking females, who sit a in 2 rows up ahead of me. For the rest of the journey i was thinking only about one thing, how revolting they smelt. They were all wearing perfume, plenty of it, but i thought it was more than necessary and ,although its intentions were meant to make the female smell good, i thought it did the exact opposite.
    is it just me or is it just me?

I'm a man and find it horrible and a turn off that girls were that much perfume. I mean what do the girls want? For a guy to say you smell nice?? That just sounds creepy... Any deodrant/perfume smell that I spend large amounts of time in, just makes me sick. I had imagined most people use deodrant to cover up the smoking smell or am I wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah man but if ya knew the trouble, oh the trouble that women go to to look like oompa loompas just for ya you'd appreciate the oranginess then ;)
    Dont you mean the stripey oranginess? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I love when a girl smells nice, I used to love how my ex smelt when we'd be watching a movie cuddled up on the couch, to much is horrid though.

• Advertisement

I know it's terrible stuff but with this goddam climate we've two choices: death like or orangeade? No choice weally :(

Death like > Orangeade :)

:o

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A subtle scent on someone is nice. When its so faint you almost have to search to see where its coming from .:)

Problem is that when you wear a perfume for a while you stop smelling it. So you spray more till you can. And so on, till youre gassing everyone around you, and you dont smell it much at all. If a girl likes scent, she should alternate what she wears so she doesnt stop smelling it herself.

Personally I hate any overpowering scent, and too much Lynx is just as bad a crime in men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I travelled for about 6 months in Asia where pretty much nobody wears perfume.

I couldn't believe it when I got back to Dublin, the stench of perfume was unbelievable! I just couldn't get used to it, it was so fake, and really overpowering when I got used to not smelling it at all.

DOn't think I wore perfume myself for months after I got home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Oryx wrote: »
    Personally I hate any overpowering scent, and too much Lynx is just as bad a crime in men.

+1000000

As brianthebard said upthread, it can be nauseating when a group of people are all trying to 'out smell' each other - like an orchestra playing out of synch, it's horrible.

That said, there can be something about someone's signature scent. An ex of mine used to smell a certain way, combination of whatever shower gel and deodorant he used. It was a distinctive smell and i couldn't get enough of it.

I can remember once (ages after we'd broken up) smelling something that was 99% that smell as i passed by a randomer on Grafton St and my knees nearly buckled with the rush of memories and emotions.

Death like > Orangeade :)

:o

The only problem with that is when you go out on a Sat night and you've make up on (as its Sat its more than natural!) so then you just look mad cause you've a big brown head with white arms! You could say use bronzer but that washes off with the rain and there's a fair chance that's gonna happen on a night out............ it's sooo complicated ;)

GreeBo wrote: »
    Dont you mean the stripey oranginess? :pac:

I calls that Art! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The only problem with that is when you go out on a Sat night and you've make up on (as its Sat its more than natural!) so then you just look mad cause you've a big brown head with white arms!
    Maybe try less makeup or a lighter colour?
    Nothing worse than the phantom of the opera mask that ends on the jawline, or worse, the browny/orangey collars...classy.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Maybe try less makeup or a lighter colour?
    Nothing worse than the phantom of the opera mask that ends on the jawline, or worse, the browny/orangey collars...classy.

I don't wear fake tan or that much make up and amen't a fan of either myself but all me sistas in Dublin have their reasons :o

I'd say it must be scary for most men though to bring home a woman who looks COMPLETELY different the next morning minus the streaky fake tan and no make up!

To be fair though, if we'd sun here nobdoy would need to wear either - sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I bet it was DKNY.

For some reason, girls with their hair piled high, wearing Uggs and have fake tan marks on their hands and legs, always spray too much of this perfume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

SarahJ wrote: »
    I bet it was DKNY.

For some reason, girls with their hair piled high, wearing Uggs and have fake tan marks on their hands and legs, always spray too much of this perfume.

They just dont know when to stop lioke :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I can't stand when my mates wear too much, it's just overpowering. I had to swap jumpers with my mate at school once and I was dizzy by then end of the day from the fumes on her jumper!

Advertisement