Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain relief for cramp

Options
  • 28-08-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend anything thats good at combating period pain? I've taken nurofen but it isn't working:(

Comments

Aved wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend anything thats good at combating period pain? I've taken nurofen but it isn't working:(

I find the first one never works.
    You can take a paracetamol with nurofen.

Personally I find curling up on a tiled floor with a hot water bottle plastered to my tummy, while contemplating the destruction of mankind gets me through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A long hot bath.
    Sex if you can get it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

An ex of mine swore by a mixture of star flower oil, evening primrose oil and cutting back on coffee and carbs in the run up to her period. She used to be in a terrible state too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

While my gfs periods are usually not too bad, she can get severe ones about once every 3-4 months, were she can do nothing but curl into a ball for a few days.

What works for her is hot water bottle (refilled every hour), 2 Neurofen Plus up to the satated dosage/day and lots of hot strong tea. Rubbing her tummy in circular motions also helps her.

Some swear on Vitamin B tablets before the period.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

You also sound like an A+ boyfriend. I'll have to tell mine about that tummy rubbing thing ;)

Edit: I find dark chocolate helps...something to do with flavanoids...

This article might help:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20000723/ai_n14320552

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

have you tried the heat packs that you can buy? I never suffered too badly thank god, but I did go through a phase and I found those small heat packs that Lil-lets do very good. And you can use them anywhere...at work, out and about etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Hot water bottles! I used to get horrible periods pre-pill, used to faint because the pain was so bad. I used to curl up in bed with three hot water bottles- one for belly, one for lower back and one for my thighs (cramps used to radiate down my body).

Painkillers didn't work for me, but hot water bottles did. And tummy massages are great! As well as sympathy hugs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Would second (or third>) the hot water bottles.

Thats really strange about the thighs thing..I get terrible pains in my knees/upper legs as well as my back. Fricken awful. To be a man :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Heat packs aren't hot enough for me, I can get quite bad cramps and I found getting your other half to lie between your legs and put their upper body weight on your stomach, I always find the pressure relieves it a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Lady E- it's horrible! It affects every bit of your body! But atleast we have higher pain thresholds now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Though it's always the last thing I feel like doing, I find that going for a short walk at a brisk pace tends to keep the cramps at bay for a while. Also when they get really really bad I do a handle full of sit-ups. The exercise (and it's the only exercise I ever get) tends to take the pain away for a while. Maybe to do with the adrenaline you gut from excercise.

However, nothing feels better than curling up on the couch with a hot chocolate, hot water bottle and the tv remote or good film!

And regards the pain. I get it all the way up my back, into my hips and down both my legs. Horrible stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I used to get horrendous cramps - went to my gp and got a prescription for some nice strong painkillers, which i take at the very first twinge of pain. :)

If i don't have any painkilling drugs to hand i'll have a brandy, or glass of whiskey, and curl up with a hot water bottle. The alcohol seems to relax the muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

The feminax ultra tablets are great, just don't take too many or you will be doped to the eyeballs.

I also found peppermint tea to help, strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Heat packs aren't hot enough for me, I can get quite bad cramps and I found getting your other half to lie between your legs and put their upper body weight on your stomach, I always find the pressure relieves it a good bit.

weirdest solution ive heard!

nurofen plus & hot water wattles usually get me by. the nurofen usually makes me a bit dopey which makes me sleep a bit easier, & when i wake up, magic im better. if nurofen arent strong enough, speak to your doctor, mine prescribed ponstan for me (think you need a prescription for it).

if you have a bf, getting him to rub your stomach is nice - cause its nice & cause the attention is nice :p (i miss having someone to rub my stomach!)

i find i get cramps up my back too, so sometimes two hot water bottles are required, 1 for the front & 1 for the back!

also, as someone mentioned exercise can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Ponstan or drink works for me :o

Actually both are great too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Aved

Thaedydal wrote: »
    A long hot bath.
    Sex if you can get it.
    I'm in work so a bath wouldn't be achievable and I'm sinle so sex is off the cards as well:(
    Wibbs wrote: »
    An ex of mine swore by a mixture of star flower oil, evening primrose oil and cutting back on coffee and carbs in the run up to her period. She used to be in a terrible state too.
    I just bought some olibas oil and applied it to spasming areas and am now pain free although I smell like vic:o
    Fletch123 wrote: »
    Hot water bottles! I used to get horrible periods pre-pill, used to faint because the pain was so bad. I used to curl up in bed with three hot water bottles- one for belly, one for lower back and one for my thighs (cramps used to radiate down my body).

Painkillers didn't work for me, but hot water bottles did. And tummy massages are great! As well as sympathy hugs :)
    I get that also. Every 4 months or so I physically get sick before my period. I think hormones have an effect.

Thanks for all the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Nurofen + and a scalding hot hotwater bottle works for me. It works best if you're in bed in the fetal position, the presure on my tummy helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I used to suffer terribly when I was younger- none of my family ever really needed painkillers so all we ever had in the house was crappy paracetemol which was utterly useless. I wasn't even aware of how many different types you could get till I moved out and started having to buy my own...stupid though that makes me sound!

Ponstan did nothing for me either. In fairness though I think it just didn't agree with me- I used to actually feel slightly different but worse after taking it and couldn't undertand why till I read the packet insert and discovered that its common side effects are cramping pain and nausea...hmmm.

Now its either Solpadeine (soluable work super fast and are great in emergencies) or ibuprofen of some sort. It does seem to take a few doses for the ibuprofen to get to full strength though. I read an article recently about how it works and they recommended that for period pain you should take ibuprofen as advised for the day or two before your period so that its muscle-relaxing ingredients are at full strength- which should prevent the cramps from starting in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

Lots of tummy rubs and some gentle lovin'. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I get a mild dull pain in my lower back and sometimes get cramping for the first day but it's nothing too major that one nurofen plus a hottie can't handle.

I'd have to question the doctors who simply put people on hard painkillers rather than having you sent to a gynaecologist. Extreme period pain is not somemthing that should be torrelated with. There are a number of reproductive issues that could cause the servere pain that should be investigated!!

My advise to those experiencing servere period pain would be to ask your doctor to refer you to a gynaecologist.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I'm shocked to not hear feminax mentioned much on this thread, I swear by it! It works so quickly and puts you into a bit of a zen state too- probably best to take it cheesey on them, but I reckon they work wonders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

FutureGuy wrote: »
    While my gfs periods are usually not too bad, she can get severe ones about once every 3-4 months, were she can do nothing but curl into a ball for a few days.

What works for her is hot water bottle (refilled every hour), 2 Neurofen Plus up to the satated dosage/day and lots of hot strong tea. Rubbing her tummy in circular motions also helps her.

Some swear on Vitamin B tablets before the period.

Aww.. please tell my boyfriend to do this kind of thing.. although I don't really get cramps that often anymore :D How lovely of you!

LadyE wrote: »
    Would second (or third>) the hot water bottles.

Thats really strange about the thighs thing..I get terrible pains in my knees/upper legs as well as my back. Fricken awful. To be a man :rolleyes:

Oh god I remember the days when I used to get leg and back cramps. I used to have to leave school because of it, Worst was on a school trip to Delphi, in October...water sports in freezing cold, away from my mommy (total home bird) and with my period. I completely froze in the water as my back went into spasm :(

OP, being an aromatherapist i can advise you of some oils to use to rub on your belly, low back and legs. I've found these to work well as has a friend of mine when I made her a blend for her bad cramps.

Most health food shops or chemists now sell aromatherapy oils so you should be able to find the ones listed below.

Basil (don't use if you are epileptic though)
    Lavender, Geranium or Chamomile
    Rose, Jasmine (expensive) or Frankincense

So basically you blend 3 oils, so 2 drops of each to 30 mls of sunflower oil,olive oil..evening primrose would be great. Or alternatively blend with 30 mls full fat milk and put in the bath. Note with Jasmine and Rose though that you would only use one drop as they are strong and powerful!

Even if you're not into that, maybe it might be of use to someone else! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Thaedydal wrote: »
    A long hot bath.
    Sex if you can get it.
    +1 on the bath anyway. But some guys really don't like the idea of sex during their girlfriends period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

+1 to Feminax. I am on the pill 10 years because of how bad my cramps are - hospital visits a plenty back in my teens, it's the worst pain I've ever experienced. Watch the dose though as a previous poster said, they make you very dopey so driving is risky, also don't expect to be uber productive in work that day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

Feminax are lifesavers!!! its great to find a tablet that actually works..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hot water bottle here too :)

Also there is a yoga exercise that I find helpful, you hold your breath and clench your stomach for as long as you can and then take a breath, dunno the name of the exercise tho.

Painkillers wise neurofen plus works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Neurofen plus and a hot water bottle and curling up into the foetal position real tight! and having pressure on my lower tum(loving boyfriend rubs my tum,best help ever). the back cramps are awful,usually get them when im walking about town and feel like collapsing into al bundle:-( pain sucks

KateF wrote: »
    +1 on the bath anyway. But some guys really don't like the idea of sex during their girlfriends period

Frankly that is downright cruel. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i used to suffer horribly before i went on the pill having vomited and passed out from the pain before and i even would ahve to go homr from school despite takeing loads of painkillers including feminex.

i found two hot water bottles out at my belly and one at my back helped particiulary while curled up in bed when i would fall asleep as the pain would keep me up all night.
    so i recomend the hot water bottle/hot bath thing to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

Ponstan, i live for the stuff at this stage!!

Advertisement