Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best products for stretchmarks and scars information thread

Options
  • 29-08-2008 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this? My legs have become fairly destroyed with scars from hives and I've heard that this stuff is great..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I tried this for about 6 months as I had scars from bites and stretch marks. To be honest saw zero difference, now I use a vitamin E cream and a coco butter one and the marks are nearly gone. Also these are a fraction of the price of bio-oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kellier1

I know it works for preventing stretch marks on the stomach etc... due to pregnancy but I couldnt say whether or not it works as a cure rather than a preventative method.

Sure it wouldnt do any harm anyway so id try it anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

kellier1 wrote: »
    I know it works for preventing stretch marks on the stomach etc... due to pregnancy but I couldnt say whether or not it works as a cure rather than a preventative method.

Aye, anecdotally I've heard it's better as a preventative measure or will work well on very new scars. I had a mole removed from my tummy and used Bio-oil for a few weeks afterwards and I can't find the scar from where it was done! But on old/ dark scars it doesn't seem to work as well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

i use it on my legs, but i have a scar on each leg and they're not the type that are raised. they're inverted scars. a weird thing happened since i been using bio-oil. one of them turned into dry skin then a scab. since then it seems to be less noticeable.

my mams using it on scars she has from mosquito bites and she says its working very well.

get the small bottle and try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Cutie_pc wrote: »
    I tried this for about 6 months as I had scars from bites and stretch marks. To be honest saw zero difference, now I use a vitamin E cream and a coco butter one and the marks are nearly gone. Also these are a fraction of the price of bio-oil

Can you tell me the name of the ones you use so that I can try it? Thanks!

• Advertisement

I find palmers cocoa butter brilliant.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Can you tell me the name of the ones you use so that I can try it? Thanks!

I use palmers cocoa butter body lotion (about 5euro in Boots) and Boots Vitamin E body Lotion (again about a fiver).

I think Tesco do a version of these as well but I tend to stick with what I know so haven't try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My friend has severe scars from breaking her ankle and she used bio oil and noticed a significant improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

About once a week i'll rub some into my hands last thing at night - i used to have the kind of dry skin on my hands that would snag tights, now they're softer.

Re scars - as said upthread, it seems to better on newer scars. I think it's nice stuff anyway, i like the smell, it's very moisturising and a little goes a very long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I've started using it recently to get rid of some scars, they're a few years old though so I don't know what results to expect. We shall see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I'm using it on old acne scars on my face and I can see a slow subtle difference - gonna stick with it for a few months... I'm also using it on new hive scars and it's working faster on those than it is on my face.
    I've also heard vitamin E is brillant, never tried it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 collywolly123

so palmers cocoa butter- must try it i got a scar from stitches on my hand its not noticable , but i know its there :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I find palmers cocoa butter brilliant.

Don't know how to double quote so which one do you use and cutie_pc too?cos iv started using the new spf15 one it makes ur skin so soft and makes it look absolutely perfect BUT it stinks sooo bad!! :eek:
    just wondering if anyone else thought the same :)

Dee369369 wrote: »
    Don't know how to double quote so which one do you use and cutie_pc too?cos iv started using the new spf15 one it makes ur skin so soft and makes it look absolutely perfect BUT it stinks sooo bad!! :eek:
    just wondering if anyone else thought the same :)

I buy the cheapest.

The best one is the old fashion butter in the round jar. You have to melt on your hands to apply, it but it makes such a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I had a disc removed from my neck area a couple of years ago. They went in through the front to take it out so I have a scar on my throat area. A friend of mine was working in a place that sold Creme de la Mer at the time and she used to get 60% off it. They do an intensive serum which is supposedly the greatest thing ever for scars. Anyway, my friend got me a bottle of it.. I went for a check up with the surgeon who commented on how well my scar was healing - I told him about the Creme and he laughed his ass off, in fact he actually went out to his secretary to tell her about it he found it so funny. He said that using olive oil would have the same effect.
    The scar I had at the time was about 1.5 inches, raised, very red and hideous in general. I was really worried it wouldn't fade so I don't think he would have been messing around with me about it. He told me just to use any kind of oil or even vaseline and massage it in frequently. I took his advice and I have a silver line on my neck now that looks like a crease.
    I don't think its necessary to spend a lot of money to improve these type of things - the extra care and stimulation of the skin is probably what helps generate a new cells growth in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

a friend of mine swears by bio oil but having tried it on some of my more anrgy red scars i found it useless as they faded with time and the ones i didnt put bio oil on faded just as quickly as the ones i was treating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I suppose maybe it depends on your skin type? I'm kinda broke at the moment so maybe I'll try the palmers first... need to get my legs dress and skirt ready again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

i tried bio oil on scars i have on my arm, they're quite bad and tbh, i saw no difference at all.
    would coco butter be the best thing to use on old scars? The ones i have are raised and pink, they just dont seem to be getting any better and i really hate them

i tried bio oil on scars i have on my arm, they're quite bad and tbh, i saw no difference at all.
    would coco butter be the best thing to use on old scars? The ones i have are raised and pink, they just dont seem to be getting any better and i really hate them

I think cocoa butter is the best, as an earlier poster mentioned it smells a little but I like the smell. I read recently that taking viatmin E supplements helps as well. As I said earlier I also use a vitamin E Cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Hi ladies,
    I was in the changing room in H & M yesterday and to my horror discovered red/purple stretchmarks on my bum! They look like loads of little scratches and are disgusting! How do I get rid of them? Is there a cream I can put on them to make them fade? If I lost weight, and my skin was un-stretched, would that make them go away?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

You can't get rid of stretchmarks but Bio-oil and time should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We've already got a thread going about bio-oil and other products for stretchmarks and scars, so I'm going to merge the two of them.

I've also changed the name of the thread to give it a wider scope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I find Bio Oil brilliant as a moisturiser if my skin ever gets really dry.

Advertisement