Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 wood off the tee

• 21-07-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Why can I nail my r11 3 wood down the middle every time but have zero consistency with the r11 driver... The clubs aren't that different to each other

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭blackwhite

More loft.
    Generally a shorter shaft on the club, which means it's easier to find the sweet spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Spin Rate may be too high with the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Moggaman wrote: »
    Why can I nail my r11 3 wood down the middle every time but have zero consistency with the r11 driver... The clubs aren't that different to each other

You probably know the limit of your 3 wood so you don't kill it.
    The driver though caught well and hit as hard as you can could be huge, not to mention the bragging rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

You probably know the limit of your 3 wood so you don't kill it.
    The driver though caught well and hit as hard as you can could be huge, not to mention the bragging rights.

Honestly , I think it's a pride thing .... I kill the 3 wood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you hit down on the 3 wood?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do you hit down on the 3 wood?

99% of golfers hit 3w better than driver. Shorter shaft, more loft. I love my 3 wood and can pump it out a good distance. Id use it on most par 4s under 420 yds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Moggaman not being at all smart, just nail the 3 wood down the middle all day long. It took henrik stenson to world no 2, would have been no 1 if his form had continued. Don't worry about the driver.

One other thing the stock made for blur shaft in the r11 drivers were notoriously bad. Just google them there's tons about the online

Thanks everyone for yer replies... No I don't choke down ... Set up pretty much the same. I'm off 7.8 btw.
    Shaft on my 3w is motore f1 and stock shaft on driver? Yer sayin this could be helping the inconsistency ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thanks everyone for yer replies... No I don't choke down ... Set up pretty much the same. I'm off 7.8 btw.
    Shaft on my 3w is motore f1 and stock shaft on driver? Yer sayin this could be helping the inconsistency ...

Not choke down...hit down, descending blow, divot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I like to hit my 3wood when a draw is essential off the tee. I find it much easier to draw that than my driver.

I'd say it's only 15-20 yards shorter than my driver when it's struck clean too

GreeBo wrote: »
    Not choke down...hit down, descending blow, divot?

No divot Greebo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Tones69 wrote: »
    99% of golfers hit 3w better than driver. Shorter shaft, more loft. I love my 3 wood and can pump it out a good distance. Id use it on most par 4s under 420 yds

I'm in that 1% then, hate using a 3 wood!! Love my 5 iron though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I just lumped three 3 woods for sale. I've gone through three different models. Can't hit any of them with consistency. Yet hit my driver without problems.

Getting myself a 17/19 degree hybrid, since I got my 21* one lovely.

Can be a few things with the driver. If they are both the same club, they should both have the same shaft( obviously different size) but I think you said the driver is OEM and the 3wood is not?

Taylor Made provide very little options when it comes to shafts. Did you get fitted for either? It's possible that the 3wood shaft is basically perfect for you, while the OEM driver one is not.

What's the problem with the driver, is the trajectory sporadic and unpredictable?

TheDoc wrote: »
    I just lumped three 3 woods for sale. I've gone through three different models. Can't hit any of them with consistency. Yet hit my driver without problems.

Getting myself a 17/19 degree hybrid, since I got my 21* one lovely.

Can be a few things with the driver. If they are both the same club, they should both have the same shaft( obviously different size) but I think you said the driver is OEM and the 3wood is not?

Taylor Made provide very little options when it comes to shafts. Did you get fitted for either? It's possible that the 3wood shaft is basically perfect for you, while the OEM driver one is not.

What's the problem with the driver, is the trajectory sporadic and unpredictable?

Never got fitted for either but the motore f1 on the 3 w feels good .. Think I will change shafts.
    My shot is a pretty severe hook... Rarely slice.. I'm right handed.
    An earlier poster said tons of shafts online but the motore f1 seems very expensive. Any good alternatives on the market?

Never got fitted for either but the motore f1 on the 3 w feels good .. Think I will change shafts.
    My shot is a pretty severe hook... Rarely slice.. I'm right handed.
    An earlier poster said tons of shafts online but the motore f1 seems very expensive. Any good alternatives on the market?

Taylor Made normally do their fittings around the summertime. Have a check with McGuirks and Halpenny. I'd say they will have Taylor Made fitting days coming up in the next month or so. Get yourself booked in there, bring both clubs and explain the problem.

They will tell you quickly if the issue is shaft related.

What's your normal ball flight , is it a draw by any chance?

TheDoc wrote: »
    Taylor Made normally do their fittings around the summertime. Have a check with McGuirks and Halpenny. I'd say they will have Taylor Made fitting days coming up in the next month or so. Get yourself booked in there, bring both clubs and explain the problem.

They will tell you quickly if the issue is shaft related.

What's your normal ball flight , is it a draw by any chance?

It's a draw..most of the time!

Just FYI moggaman the motoref1 is one of my all time fav shafts and I hated the blur.

It's a draw..most of the time!

Well here is something that was happening to me, no guarantee it's happening to you. I found Taylor Made drivers lighter. I was using a Titelist when I came back to the game and got myself a Burner driver. But kept hitting low hooks. Even snap hooks.

I went back to my Titleist and was hitting lovely draws again and couldn't figure it out. One of those guys who has a genius golfing brain, yet cant put it into practice himself, spotted out the problem for me.

Because the Taylor Made was lighter, I was swinging that little bit faster, but on impact, was extending the clubhead out towards the target. I was wrapping it around too early, and what was basically happening was the clubface closing.

To remedy this just went out for a few practice rounds, put a tee out in front of the ball I was striking, and made sure I hit the teeafter impact. Pretty quickly it was gone.

Might be worth something to check. TM OEM shafts are lighter in my opinion, and that can cause increased acceleration and you might be wrapping into your finish ahead of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Don't carry a three wood at the minute, it was as erratic as the driver with the trade off of less distance.

I brought the brothers out for a round ( 910F) and while I hit a few good shots most were better off with the hybrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I've hit one drive in my last 4 rounds.

Hitting the 3wood & hybrids long & straight so not really feeling the difference at the moment.

Do want to get the driver back firing again though. Even though I'm competitive without it, would be nicer to be hitting short irons in more often

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Hitting the 3wood & hybrids long & straight so not really feeling the difference at the moment.

Do want to get the driver back firing again though. Even though I'm competitive without it, would be nicer to be hitting short irons in more often

Well the way you hit that hybrid I wouldn't be in too much of a rush!

Love my stage 2 3 & 5 woods too, crackin woods!

Tones69 wrote: »
    Love my stage 2 3 & 5 woods too, crackin woods!

Yeah, only have the stage 2 3wood, my hybrids are the stage 1 & still great club's to hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Yeah, only have the stage 2 3wood, my hybrids are the stage 1 & still great club's to hit

Liable to miss left perchance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i never even owned a driver until i was a single figure handicap golfer.

Always used a 3-wood up until then

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Liable to miss left perchance ?

With driver my big miss would be left alright. My bad shot would be a slice more often than a hook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

With driver my big miss would be left alright. My bad shot would be a slice more often than a hook

Just wondering as I have a stage 1 RBZ 19 degree hybrid and miss is definitely left on it. I could be slicing driver and still hooking it :D

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    i never even owned a driver until i was a single figure handicap golfer.

Always used a 3-wood up until then

3 wood such a good club isnt it, i love mine and prob dont hit it enough as i love crackin driver.
    Id definitely advise people who dont hit or dont get on with driver to go get fit for a good 3w or even the new sldr mini driver. Bice big forgiving head but can hit it tee'd right down or even off the deck.

Advertisement