Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We Need To Talk About Slow Play

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bustercherry

etxp wrote: »
    This whole thread is irrelevant if you are keeping up with pace of play.

That is true but some of the stuff people give out about is ridiculous. If they put as much effort into their golf than getting worked up over stupid stuff, they'd be able to play as good a game as they talk ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Would you complain to the group in front because they made the last player putting replace the pin? I doubt it because most reasonable people would tell catch a grip. There are more serious issues causing slow play than this.
    If they were holding my group up then I most definitely would complain, same as I would complain for marking the card on the green, bag on wrong side, etc, etc.
    I'll give you a FACT, last weekend I took 26 stokes less (not that it matters) than one of my 3 ball. All this else being equal (in fact I'd say we play at the same pace) the only way to speed up is for that player to be better or to make courses easier for players of lesser ability. Golfgraffix has already identified how one club has done some analysis to see where the course is causing slow play. Carton done similar with the Monty with the 1st and 3rd holes which were particular bottlenecks. Fixating over who replace the pin will not speed up the game.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather people just play faster than the course have to be redesigned...

/edit
    you could speed him up if you put the flag back in for him!

GreeBo wrote: »
    If they were holding my group up then I most definitely would complain, same as I would complain for marking the card on the green, bag on wrong side, etc, etc.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather people just play faster than the course have to be redesigned...

/edit
    you could speed him up if you put the flag back in for him!

As I stated all things being equal, he was slower.

It doesn't need to be redesigned, just set up easier would be a start.

As I stated all things being equal, he was slower.

It doesn't need to be redesigned, just set up easier would be a start.

Wont you then still be faster as you will still hit less shot?

If they are holding up your group, you point they are holding everyone up and not who put the flag back in. Otherwise you being petty...

If they are holding up your group, you point they are holding everyone up and not who put the flag back in. Otherwise you being petty...

They are holding everyone up because they are slow, part of the reason they are slow is because they do stupid, slow things like let the last guy put the flag back in.

Its not petty, its logical, common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

I've finally caught up with all of the posts on this thread. I've actually never even considered the whole "flag on the green" thing. It just came naturally to me. If I am nearest I take it out and check where everyone else is putting from and leave it in a place where it wont have any effect on anyone. If I am first to hole out, I walk immediately to the flag (instead of to my bag) and pick it up and stand out of everyones way and pop it back in when the last putt is sank. I didnt think there was another way to do it !!

A load of pages back someone had a list of things that made me think they must have been behind our group a few times. The funny story on the tee...that cant be told while walking. The bag on the wrong side of the green.

Something I've noticed recently though is the PGA tour effect on the putting green. I look at my putts from both sides of the hole and find they look quite different some times from opposite sides.

I'm afraid I dont see the benefit of looking at the putts from the other angles. As in walking to a point that makes a 90 degree angle with the hole and your ball and checking the lines there. And doing the same the other side. I see tour pro's do it all the time on telly so I guess there's a reason for it. But holy sh*t it really slows the game down !!

Wont you then still be faster as you will still hit less shot?

You would think so but I've played easier wide open courses; unfortunately golf doesn't work that way :)

The margins for improvement are greater for the higher handicappers, thus I would expect gap to close rather than stay the same. That's why initiatives like castleknock are the way forward as you can obtain data to indentify/address potential issues to pace of play rather than trying to address slow play by pure conjecture - the replacing the pin being the prime example.

Also at the moment the consensus by most people complaining (in our club especially) is, the pace of play is the same or quicker than their own pace. Anything less than that is deemed slow play. This is totally farcical and again based on pure conjecture. I'd like to see some metrics gathered over time to determine what is an acceptable pace of play for a course in question rather than the usual must not go over 4 hours. There is absolutely no basis for this measurement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Arsenium wrote: »
    Something I've noticed recently though is the PGA tour effect on the putting green. I look at my putts from both sides of the hole and find they look quite different some times from opposite sides.

I'm afraid I dont see the benefit of looking at the putts from the other angles. As in walking to a point that makes a 90 degree angle with the hole and your ball and checking the lines there. And doing the same the other side. I see tour pro's do it all the time on telly so I guess there's a reason for it. But holy sh*t it really slows the game down !!

I take my time reading putts from different angles and I am a better putter for it. What works for one, may not for another. However, if I am to putt first, I wont spend to long looking, one look front an back will do. At the very least, I think every golfer is entiteld to do this.

If others are ahead of me, I will do a 360 around the hole, while they are lining up/playing. Then I am ready to hit when it is my turn so while I take my time looking, I don't hold the speed of play up.

• Advertisement

They are holding everyone up because they are slow, part of the reason they are slow is because they do stupid, slow things like let the last guy put the flag back in.

Its not petty, its logical, common sense.

No it's being petty, tell them their place on the course or ask them to let you through. Otherwise you come across as being petty and patronizing; it only gets peoples backs up.

Edit - Actually it show a complete lack of interpersonal skills if you start criticizing all the small things the are doing wrong at that point in time.

No it's being petty, tell them their place on the course or ask them to let you through. Otherwise you come across as being petty and patronizing; it only gets peoples backs up.

Edit - Actually it show a complete lack of interpersonal skills if you start criticizing all the small things the are doing wrong at that point in time.

I'm hardly likely to critique why they are slow, I honestly dont care if they are holding me up, I just want them to hurry up; though at this point I believe you are being disingenuous so will let you continue your battle against the world on this one.

Arsenium wrote: »
    I've finally caught up with all of the posts on this thread. I've actually never even considered the whole "flag on the green" thing. It just came naturally to me. If I am nearest I take it out and check where everyone else is putting from and leave it in a place where it wont have any effect on anyone. If I am first to hole out, I walk immediately to the flag (instead of to my bag) and pick it up and stand out of everyones way and pop it back in when the last putt is sank. I didnt think there was another way to do it !!

A load of pages back someone had a list of things that made me think they must have been behind our group a few times. The funny story on the tee...that cant be told while walking. The bag on the wrong side of the green.

Actually I'd argue at times there is more to be gained from looking side on than from the opposite side of the hole. Aimpoint I believe promotes reading breaks/slope etc... from 90 degree angle with the hole; although I would smack someone using technique and aim chart it in a round ;)

Certainly some of the posters on here would have melt down over how slow it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Aside from the fascinating issue of who puts the pin in.....

... a huge problem, I think, is that slow play is contagious. If the crowd ahead of me are slow then I might as well slow down. Rather than keeping up my pace and be waiting to play each shot, I might as well dawdle along, telling yarns, looking for golf balls, enjoying the scenery, placing my bag at the wrong side of the green etc. Basically, I adjust my pace to the pace of the slower group. I may as well do this because I'm not going to finish any sooner than them so why hurry? Of course it's wrong but I think it's what a lot of people do, I know I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

I may as well do this because I'm not going to finish any sooner than them so why hurry? Of course it's wrong but I think it's what a lot of people do, I know I do.

:D Prepare for the back lash !!

... a huge problem, I think, is that slow play is contagious. If the crowd ahead of me are slow then I might as well slow down. Rather than keeping up my pace and be waiting to play each shot, I might as well dawdle along, telling yarns, looking for golf balls, enjoying the scenery, placing my bag at the wrong side of the green etc. Basically, I adjust my pace to the pace of the slower group. I may as well do this because I'm not going to finish any sooner than them so why hurry? Of course it's wrong but I think it's what a lot of people do, I know I do.

ARGH!
    If you are not part of the solution...
    Why would a slow group speed up if no one is putting any pressure on them?
    (though it is very annoying to have to wait on every shot, we owe it the people behind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

ARGH!
    (though it is very annoying to have to wait on every shot, we owe it the people behind)

Surely there comes a point though where it is clear that for whatever reason you are not going to be let through by the group ahead. At that point all you're doing by playing quickly is diminishing your own enjoyment of the game without improving anything for anyone.

I appreciate that it might often be difficult to know when exactly 'that point' is reached...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Carpo86 wrote: »
    Surely there comes a point though where it is clear that for whatever reason you are not going to be let through by the group ahead. At that point all you're doing by playing quickly is diminishing your own enjoyment of the game without improving anything for anyone.

I appreciate that it might often be difficult to know when exactly 'that point' is reached...

That is a fair point, we were the first out in an outing last year and thought we had the course clear ahead of us as there was no sign of anyone for the first 3, by the 5th we had caught a 4ball that were brutal slow, took almost 4.5hours to play up to the 15th when they decided to finish their round despite polite requests to let us through, what should have been a ~3.5hour round was a shade under 5, everyone in the outing was giving out afterwards but when the 4ball just blanks you and refuses to budge there's little you can do.....we did mention it to the committee when paying our green fees for the outing and they were 'senior members' that were allowed out ahead of us, end of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

ARGH!

This x1000. If you sit back after a while, the group in front won't feel any pressure and relax into playing at their slow pace. Keep the pressure up and let them know that they are a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I wouldn't base a judgement like that on what people said about 2 rounds. The first one mentioned wasn't our fault and it was only 2 groups held up as far as i can remember. We're going a few years now and that was the first time slow play has been brought up so your comment is a bit harsh.

Possibly, i was really considering playing this year as i'd like to put some faces to names and i am a complete golf nerd so its always good to meet like minded souls :) but I'll keep a watching brief for the moment, if the trend continues count me out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Did a test today. For laugh for thread. Watched what was going on.

2 ball ahead 3 ball behind.
    Me alone. Was only playing 6 holes.
    3 ball lads in 60 s. on first tee as I'm on first green.

young lads early 20s ahead middle of 2nd fairway. One a total ball freezer.
    Practice swings. Then full posture check the works. 20 second freeze over ball. A slow walker.
    He is holding up his 2 ball.

Goes into bunker. 30 seconds to take first bunker shot. Does not get out . Total disillusionment with the world. Hits club against sand in anger.
    2 shot penalty in my view. Then full routine for 2 shot . Then has to rake bunker and area he hit club with. Does a good job. Putting routine. Then 15 second freeze. Misses marks ball for tap in.

I'm practicing putting on 2 nd green. But hey I'm the anti social weirdo who hasn't joined them . But to head off for kid in creche at 6. So I slow down not to put too much pressure on them.

In fact play a 2nd ball on 3.

Finish out 3 . 3 ball behind on 2nd green.

Slow lad just finishes 2nd shot. I let him walk a bit and drive.
    Take 2nd after I have to dodge slow boys first ball that goes into red stake. He decides to hit provisional when there is no chance he needs to.

He is annoying me now as his fore was a bit low.

So 55 mins for 6 holes me, young lads heading for 1 hr 10 min - at their full speed.
    I've a feeling the older gents would have caught the 2 ball if I hadn't put the pace on the two in front.

So no place for 1 balls.

Joking. We should be aiming for 330 all round.

My course is easy well laid out and quick. But their needs to be a tone for fast play in a course.
    Not pressure play. But keep moving.

The young lad needs someone to talk to him. But that is for his father in my view.

3 ball had lost 1 hole on me by me finishing 6.

I finish up 4 take a few practice putts as I'll be up their arse now. I was till gents get onto 4th tee and hit iron off 5.

I make a balls of 5 but still make it to 6 th tee a short par 3 before lads have start putting .
    slow boy notices me so runs over to bag to place it in right position as was wrong.

He does full freeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Did a test today. For laugh for thread. Watched what was going on.

2 ball ahead 3 ball behind.
    Me alone. Was only playing 6 holes.
    3 ball lads in 60 s. on first tee as I'm on first green.

young lads early 20s ahead middle of 2nd fairway. One a total ball freezer.
    Practice swings. Then full posture check the works. 20 second freeze over ball. A slow walker.
    He is holding up his 2 ball.

Goes into bunker. 30 seconds to take first bunker shot. Does not get out . Total disillusionment with the world. Hits club against sand in anger.
    2 shot penalty in my view. Then full routine for 2 shot . Then has to rake bunker and area he hit club with. Does a good job. Putting routine. Then 15 second freeze. Misses marks ball for tap in.

I'm practicing putting on 2 nd green. But hey I'm the anti social weirdo who hasn't joined them . But to head off for kid in creche at 6. So I slow down not to put too much pressure on them.

In fact play a 2nd ball on 3.

Finish out 3 . 3 ball behind on 2nd green.

Slow lad just finishes 2nd shot. I let him walk a bit and drive.
    Take 2nd after I have to dodge slow boys first ball that goes into red stake. He decides to hit provisional when there is no chance he needs to.

He is annoying me now as his fore was a bit low.

So 55 mins for 6 holes me arsing around young lads 1 he 10 at their full speed.
    I've a feeling the older gents would have caught the 2 ball if I hadn't put the pace on the two in front.

So no place for 1 balls.

Joking. We should be aiming for 330 all round.

My course is easy well laid out and quick. But their needs to be a tone for fast play in a course.
    Not pressure play. But keep moving.

The young lad needs someone to talk to him. But that is for his father in my view.

3 ball had lost 1 hole on me by me finishing 6.

I finish up 4 take a few practice putts as I'll be up their arse now. I was till gents get onto 4th tee and hit iron off 5.

I make a balls of 5 but still make it to 6 th tee a short par 3 before lads have start putting .
    slow boy notices me so runs over to bag to place it in right position as was wrong.

He does full freeze.

So who put the flag back in the hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

A pet hate of mine is when in a 4 ball people not getting to their ball quick enough.

Say 4 tee shots go out and everyone walks off the tee. There might only be small distances between the balls but they are scattered sideways across a fairway and rough.

It annoys me that people all walk to the first ball and watch a man do all his set up and hit before all trouping on ten yards to the next ball for the same routine of getting yardage, picking club, set up, practice swings etc etc....

Obviously there are times when lads must stay behind the first to hit as they will be in the way if they make their way to their ball but more often than not it's feasible to make your way to your ball and for everyone to have there yardage, club selection and ready to hit in quick succession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Watching the LPGA tour here and it's the only time I wouldn't mind staying behind my playing partners.

If ye know what I mean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭josie19

From Hollywood Lakes Website

I like the local rule of 20 seconds per shot !!

SLOW PLAY

DO YOU OBSERVE ALL THE GUIDELINES FOR AVOIDING SLOW PLAY?

Be on the first tee at your appointed time, ready to play.

Be ready to play every shot when it is your turn - plan your shot and get ready while others are hitting. There is time limit of 20 seconds to play each shot (see local rule).

Do not wait for greens to clear when they are beyond your range!

When you reach a green, leave your bag or trolley at the side of the green nearest the next tee.

Line up your putt while others are putting and be ready to putt when it is your turn. In Stableford and team events, if you cannot score or improve your team's score on any hole, pick up your ball and move on.

First player to putt out should be ready to replace the flag immediately the last putt is made.

Do not mark cards on or near the green. Leave the green without delay and mark the cards at the next tee – without delaying play.

Encourage your playing partners to keep up with the group in front.

Do not allow the slowest player to dictate the pace of play in your group. If someone is slowing things down, TELL HIM!

Do not delay play for conversation - WALK AS YOU TALK.

If you are falling behind for any reason, invite the players behind to play through.

Always keep just behind the group ahead, not just ahead of the group behind.

If you think that your ball may be lost outside a hazard, or may be out of bounds, declare and play a provisional ball.

Make sure you can locate your ball before you go searching for others.

If you are delayed looking for a lost ball, call the players behind through when you realise you have to search for a ball - not after your 5 minutes are up!

If a ball is not found within 5 minutes, IT IS LOST AND IS OUT OF PLAY! (Rules of Golf - Rule 27)

See Rules on slow play - (Rules of Golf - Rule 6-7)

There should be no undue gaps between groups on the course.

REMEMBER: IF YOUR GROUP IS A HOLE BEHIND, IT IS YOUR FAULT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

josie19 wrote: »
    Do not allow the slowest player to dictate the pace of play in your group. If someone is slowing things down, TELL HIM!

Bit sexist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Played a leisurely 18 myself today in 2h 15 mins. Place to myself, mitchelstown if anyone knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Played a leisurely 18 myself today in 2h 15 mins. Place to myself, mitchelstown if anyone knows it.

millionaire golf that is, love those type of days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    millionaire golf that is, love those type of days

Love that description!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

Slow play is a killer in our club....

I have done 5 hour rounds a few times, especially on evenings of open singles with visitors...
    Stroke play competitions and the the course slows to a grind, some competitions have been finished in dusk/dark because of it.

what I hate.. lads looking for the 100 marker, the 150... walking up , asking me.. I have to help them look for it out of courtesy.. they find the 100 mark, and it matters fcuk all..their either short or long !
    Observing Honour... fcuk sake hit when ready... lads fumbling for a tee in his bag and waiting for him because of the honour !

Personally, I do not have a routine, I walk to the ball hit, I do not practice swing, maybe on wedges ..but not drives or long irons, I conserve energy,

Young lads with their 3 practice swings.. their long pose after the shot and they dawdling up the next shot..not a care in the world on them...
    We give out about women golfers but in fairness to them, most of them can move at pace,

Finally, I dont think they will ever sort slow play in clubs, because of the cliques...offence caused, etc, most of the people giving out on committee level are possibly slow themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

4 ball finished yesterday in 3:30 mins
    Finished at 10:15
    While eating breakfast a few guys at the bar were heading out and wondering if they would be in for any of the Munster game
    They were expecting and accepting a 4 1/2 hr round at least

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

When playing tralee on Friday last was waiting on 18 for group in front leave the green before hitting in. My playing partners were asking me "what you waiting for?" i said "i want that slow .... To move first from the right of the green". "Ah ffs scrubber you'll be there are day. That's the statue of Arnold palmer."
    Should of gone to specsavers

4 ball in 3:30.

Now that is good going.

Everything must be going for you there.

Early start. Course to yourselves. Experienced golfers . Good course layout.

?

4 ball in 3:30.

Now that is good going.

Everything must be going for you there.

Early start. Course to yourselves. Experienced golfers . Good course layout.

?

Lost a ball off 1st couldn't see it finish,probably wet

Spent a few minutes on 2 other holes searching for 2plugged tee shots

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes

Golf was average standard

medal in Greystones yesterday. only 2 of us, but no difference really as we were second last on the sheet so were behind a load of 3 balls. about 3:50 max i would say, so pretty reasonable for a medal.

Tulfarris today, front 9 with 3 partners about 2hr15..... they lived miles away so went home and then back 9 on my own, 1hr 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

scrubber72 wrote: »
    When playing tralee on Friday last was waiting on 18 for group in front leave the green before hitting in. My playing partners were asking me "what you waiting for?" i said "i want that slow .... To move first from the right of the green". "Ah ffs scrubber you'll be there are day. That's the statue of Arnold palmer."
    Should of gone to specsavers

You haven't been the first and won't be the last to get caught out with that !! I've heard of 3 different fellas getting caught out with that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

stevieob wrote: »
    medal in Greystones yesterday. only 2 of us, but no difference really as we were second last on the sheet so were behind a load of 3 balls. about 3:50 max i would say, so pretty reasonable for a medal.

Tulfarris today, front 9 with 3 partners about 2hr15..... they lived miles away so went home and then back 9 on my own, 1hr 5 mins

Ah, so that was you. We were wondering where you came from on the 13th in Tulfarris today as we were well clear of the group behind us and had caught up to the group ahead on the 9th who had started their round on the 4th. Good swing and strikes down the par 5 13th, one of my playing partners asked if you were a professional.
    Can't say slow play was a factor for us today, as a fourball we were around Tulfarris of the white tees in well under 4 hrs which was good going in the wind.

I think at the start of this thread - I was thinking, it was a good idea of a campaign - "Play Over 4 hours - No more".
    Something like that.

I was thinking that was sort of crazy - a bit aspirational , but after reading most people's views and times. Maybe it is not as crazy as it first sounded.

Yes , we are all into our golf, and it shouldn't be about running around. In fact , I'm faster than most - and play much alone , so my pace of golf is not realistic. But, if you are into your golf, you have to know that the pace of play is not a constant. You sometimes have to adjust your pace of play to certain situations. I'm not a proponent of the - up the Arse theory here, in fact the most enjoyable golf is when everybody is at the same pace. Not too fast , not too slow.

If your Course design
    Playing partners
    Course policy or atmosphere
    Course members

Are not achieving 4 hour rounds , they as a group or the course is the problem. There needs to be action - with a plan to resolve.
    Some course designs are not going to be resolved and - some crazy ideas went into courses over the last 20 years.

Yes aspirational maybe.

But there seems to be a massive desire to get golf moving quicker.

Ah, so that was you. We were wondering where you came from on the 13th in Tulfarris today as we were well clear of the group behind us and had caught up to the group ahead on the 9th who had started their round on the 4th. Good swing and strikes down the par 5 13th, one of my playing partners asked if you were a professional.
    Can't say slow play was a factor for us today, as a fourball we were around Tulfarris of the white tees in well under 4 hrs which was good going in the wind.

yea it was me alright. we played off the first behind you, but we were slower right the way round. obviously i got a good run at it when the others left me to my own devices.

i think slave was with you?

i'm far from professional, play off 13 but wish i played all my golf like i did that hole. when i went through with you watching, i was convinced i was gonna shank it or top it or something stupid but maybe an audience suits my game :)

I was especially pleased with the second shot, but the third, about 70 yards nearly left me blind! as soon as i struck it, a lump of mud flew up and got me in the eye..... savage pain and i immediately dropped to the ground in pain and rifled in the bag for a bottle of water to rinse it out, took two holes to recover and even then I was still pulling mud out of it when i got home. wish i never got the eye surgery now and i would have had the glasses as protection! :cool:

as it happens, i felt i'd struck the shot well, so when i was finally able to look at where the ball had gone, it turned out i had stitched it to about 6 foot and slotted the birdie putt. was +3 gross for back 9 and nobody to witness it! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

I would see myself as a fast player but never put myself under pressure that I have 2 be some place or get in for a match,
    When I play golf if its slow I just get on with it if I get in under 4 hours its a bonus,
    No point in playing if your t off is 10 and you have to bring the wife shopping at 2.30

• Advertisement

I think at the start of this thread - I was thinking, it was a good idea of a campaign - "Play Over 4 hours - No more".
    Something like that.

There should be a campaign certainly.

The USPGA launched a 'tee it forward' campaign a while back. No idea how successful it was but for a start we should do the same (hate seeing/being stuck behind groups of high handicappers insisting on the back tees, failing to hit it past the ladies half the time, making the course impossible for themselves in the process. I can say that as a high handicapper myself).

The trouble with slow play is that every club has a sign up somewhere saying all the right things but very few make it a priority and really educate. Even aggressive signage would make a big difference.

Way too much of what goes on is what people think is correct (the honour, the waiting for the person furthest from the pin to play, agonising over putts in social play etc). So just really hammering education around ready golf would probably help.

Fourball on Saturday, teeing off at 12:30 (ugh!)

We were only a 3 ball so expected to be waiting a little bit but it turned out to be ridiculous.
    The group in front had lost a clear hole after 2 holes. We were waiting on every shot, with a ladies 4 ball waiting for us (and so on back down the course)
    By the 8th, they were just leaving the tee as we walked onto it. No sign of being let through even though the ladies behind us were hitting onto the green we had just left and out of the group holding us up 3 of them had hit the ball less than 100m off the tee. 2 of which resulted in lost balls. We were finally let through and made up the now 3 empty holes in front by the 10th.

2 holes later the women appeared behind us having also been let through.
    At this stage the course was a mess, the groups teeing off were in danger of not getting through their round before dark and everyone in front had slowed down, presumably due to no pressure from behind.

Ranger came out on the 14th but damage had all been done.

The problem? a fourball made up of 3 old guys, one in a buggy, who were physically incapable of keeping up with play. The guy in the buggy refusing to drive the buggy right up to his destination, instead taking 3 minutes to walk the 10 yards to the tee/green etc. Then marking the car in the buggy while blocking the hole.

Since we allow people to play on Fridays in the comp at any time they want, these people need to be forced into playing at that time OR play dead last on a Saturday. Instead they made shyte of the timesheet and thoroughly ruined the round for everyone behind them.

/rant over.

There should be a campaign certainly.

The USPGA launched a 'tee it forward' campaign a while back. No idea how successful it was but for a start we should do the same (hate seeing/being stuck behind groups of high handicappers insisting on the back tees, failing to hit it past the ladies half the time, making the course impossible for themselves in the process. I can say that as a high handicapper myself).

Thats fine for casual/society golf, but doesnt help you in a comp...

Rangers with power and backbone are required IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Played a 2 ball on Sat and we were 2 hrs 40 for 16 holes. Was only a casual round and I hit two tee shots on every second hole as was trying to find something for big Sunday comp.

Played 4 ball yesterday. 2 playing stroke, 2 playing stableford (seniors). 4 hours for round despite waiting on half the holes for group in front.
    Ready golf played everywhere made a huge difference.
    Example - 3 on green. 1 guy pitching in. 3 on green could be finished out by time the guy pitching has arrived marked his putt lined up and hit. More I think about it the more I think this kind of thing will save a large amount of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

By the 8th, they were just leaving the tee as we walked onto it.......We were finally let through and made up the now 3 empty holes in front by the 10th.

That is some going in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Out in a fourball saturday morning & Played with a nice, but very slow guy and it was hard to know what to do with him. Its not that he's slow at golf, its everything! Walked slow, talked slow, and everything was done at a gentle pace. Not the best playing partner on a cold wet day. He was actually quite good for a 21 handicap, but god the pace!! On the 2nd he hit his second from the fairway, I walked on roughly 50 yards to my ball, lasered the pin, played the shot, clubs back up on my back & look around to see he hasn't managed to move yet - still putting the club back in the bag!! That was the pattern all day - our man bringing up the rear.

None of us had met him before and despite several chats about our pace of play he wasn't biting. It got to the stage where one of us would have putted before he got to the green. It sped up play but really served to throw us off our normal games and still took 4.45 to get around.

Like I said - hard to know what to do with him - talking to a few after the game its just the way he is in life. I dread to think what would happen if he'd a partner in crime in the group!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The only thing you can do there is to make sure to get his surname too.... and remember it ;)

Be more blunt

report him to club official... should be spoken to in an official capacity if he is always acting the maggot like that

denisoc16 wrote: »
    That is some going in fairness

Well everyone in front had also slowed down as they had no pressure at all from behind (also we were a 3 ball compared to 4 balls)

The last we saw of them, the one young guy (40!) was on the green, took the flag out and putted out and then returned the flag, all before any of the rest of them got to the green...he was fit to burst!

We have threatened to move people to the end of the timesheet but Im not sure its happened yet...its a delicate situation when someone is too old to keep up with play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is this really how society has moved on, where we no longer respect our elders ?

sure just farm them out to Friday or maybe a pitch and putt course where they wont be in the way. You know, maybe its about time they just brought in mandatory euthanasia for anyone over 60, that'd sort them out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement