Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch Cups 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ratzy wrote: »
    was off 19 i was 3 under after 3 holes :(...played it again a week later moate can be very tough with some of the pin positions.

I don't think a course can ever be defined as tough , if somebody got 49 points on it. :)

I was thinking that anybody can be 9 shots better than their handicap. This would be a less than 1 in 100 event. Like a pro having a 63 - but we are not pros so the event should be even more rare. As a tour pro is in reality at a handicap +5 - so it is a tour pro having a 58.

So 36 + 9 = 45. That is what I'm saying should be feasible.

So if you score 45 = 45 = (1) is removed from your handicap - new handicap 18
    etc.
    so if you score 49 = (5) your new handicap should be 13.

It is hypothetical - but we can't have lads scoring over 45 unless it is a 1 in 100 sort of event. I'd be saying 1 in a 1000 in reality.

It can happen - but should be very rare.

Did you score over 45 ever again ?
    Did you get cut soon after ?

Well done by the way - was it an eagle - birdie
    Birdie - Birdie - Birdie
    Albatross - ?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Are scratch cups not stroke play? So 49 points should be a different comp.
    scratch cups in Gowran Park this year are Intermediate scratch cup Sunday 13 July, senior and junior scratch cup Sunday 14th of September. All would be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

yettie1701 wrote: »
    Are scratch cups not stroke play? So 49 points should be a different comp.
    scratch cups in Gowran Park this year are Intermediate scratch cup Sunday 13 July, senior and junior scratch cup Sunday 14th of September. All would be very welcome.

Thanks for bringing the scratch cup thread back on topic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ratzy

Any other intermediate scratch cups on before june?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

ratzy wrote: »
    Any other intermediate scratch cups on before june?

Loads. Go to the GUI site http://www.gui.ie/home/playing-golf/open-fixtures and filter. I've done a quick search for Intermediate between now and June - see attached.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    Thanks for bringing the scratch cup thread back on topic :D

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Senior scratch in dungarvan golf club
    April 6th
    36 holes
    Played in a fourball b/ball format off scratch.
    Great event last yr (except the storm and deluge rain)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Smithy101

All the topgolfer.ie scratch cups are run very well. Taking in some nice tracks this year. Kicks off in Fota Island on the 16th of this month.

http://www.topgolfer.ie/events/

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Have a look at the link below for anyone interested in a senior scratch cup.
    Brilliant event on a good course
    http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2014/3/5/greene-and-gorey-team-up-for-another-dungarvan-birdie-blitz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Am i correct,
    Senior usually less that 5.
    Junior 5 to 9 or 10
    Intermediate 9 to 18
    Junior 18+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

mike12 wrote: »
    Am i correct,
    Senior usually less that 5.
    Junior 5 to 9 or 10
    Intermediate 9 to 18
    Junior 18+

I've generally found:

Intermediate 11/12 to 18
    Minor 18+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I've generally found:

Intermediate 11/12 to 18
    Minor 18+

Intermediate in most is 10-17 i believe? Cant wait for junior scratch (5-9) in bunclody april 26th!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Might give clody a dart myself. Chattin to the pro here at a wedding right now lol

Rikand wrote: »
    Might give clody a dart myself. Chattin to the pro here at a wedding right now lol

New pro started in Bunclody yesterday. Garry McClean is his name. Never had a lesson off him but I know a few that did and liked him. He was in the driving range in Carlow so just moved across the county. Any other dates for any scratch cups around the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I was thinking that anybody can be 9 shots better than their handicap. This would be a less than 1 in 100 event. Like a pro having a 63 - but we are not pros so the event should be even more rare. As a tour pro is in reality at a handicap +5 - so it is a tour pro having a 58.

No it would in fact be much more common from a basic probabilities POV. As handicaps and scoring averages get lower so will the variance. It is statistically much more likely a higher handicap will shoot 9 under their handicap than a Tour Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

Milkers wrote: »
    No it would in fact be much more common from a basic probabilities POV. As handicaps and scoring averages get lower so will the variance. It is statistically much more likely a higher handicap will shoot 9 under their handicap than a Tour Pro.

This is certainly correct from a probability perspective. It should be remembered though that a Tour Pro's 'handicap' is likely be to considerably better than scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭indabunka

36 hole Junior & Senior Scratch Cups at Royal Curragh (formerly The Curragh) on Sunday 27th April
    Handicaps
    Senior + to 4
    Junior 5-9

Entry fee €30 which includes a meal

Unfortunately Senior clashes with Dundalk on the same day

Greens are very good at present and now that the sheep are gone it should be a good test of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Lucan SSC (0-3) and JSC (4-10) timesheet for Sun 4th May now live on their website. Both events 36 holes with entry fee set at €20 for members and €30 for visitors which includes soup and sandwiches.
    Great value and a nice course so a lovely day out if the weather behaves. JSC timesheet already starting to fill up (not sure why they don't extend the SSC to 4 handicap and leave the JSC at 9).
    Not a member but played the JSC last year and it was well run so hoping for better form this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Curragh JSC €30 with meal and Lucan JSC €30 with soup and sambo.
    Castle JSC today was €40 just for golf. It was a Top Golfer event. Is it my imagination or are Top Golfer pushing up the prices for Scratch Cups?

Castle JSC today was €40 just for golf. It was a Top Golfer event. Is it my imagination or are Top Golfer pushing up the prices for Scratch Cups?

No, that €40 fee for the Castle is down to the club rather than Top Golfer. I played a good few Top Golfer events last year including the Castle (hadn't played the course before so wanted to try it) and there was some good value among the events including 36 holes at both Beaverstown and Blainroe for €30 (no lunch however). As far as I'm aware Top Golfer attract larger numbers, organise prizes through sponsorship and the event itself on the day for which they charge the club a fee and in return the club retain the green fees which they set themselves. The Castle charging €40 for a scratch cup on a Fri did not entice me to return this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

No, that €40 fee for the Castle is down to the club rather than Top Golfer. I played a good few Top Golfer events last year including the Castle (hadn't played the course before so wanted to try it) and there was some good value among the events including 36 holes at both Beaverstown and Blainroe for €30 (no lunch however). As far as I'm aware Top Golfer attract larger numbers, organise prizes through sponsorship and the event itself on the day for which they charge the club a fee and in return the club retain the green fees which they set themselves. The Castle charging €40 for a scratch cup on a Fri did not entice me to return this year.

any word from the castle today?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭indabunka

Royal Curragh is a 36 hole event with a meal. Also, the price is the same for members and visitors which brings back memories of the good old days of how open competitions used to be run. Great value day out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

mag wrote: »
    any word from the castle today?

72 won it

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

That's a very good score (2 over). Conditions were perfect and the course is short enough but the fairways are tight and the greens/pins tricky. Was it a member of the Castle who won?

That's a very good score (2 over). Conditions were perfect and the course is short enough but the fairways are tight and the greens/pins tricky. Was it a member of the Castle who won?

Yes, a 9 handicap juvenile player from the Castle so presume his handicap will be plummeting. Full results here:
    http://www.topgolfer.ie/events/event/castle-golf-club-jsc-5-9/#.U0mY8041jbV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

First test of year starts for me is easter Monday @ roganstown junior

Anyone know when the headfort junior timesheet comes live ? missed lucan am raging

Roslare hammered Borris 5-0 in the Bartin cup at the weekend. Now a good few of the guys playing for Borris and they are really good golfers so Roslare must be pretty strong.

Sorry folks wrong thread oops!!!

levitronix wrote: »
    missed lucan am raging
    Regarding Lucan, could be worth ringing the proshop, although the timesheet for the JSC is full there are loads of spaces on the timesheet for the SSC. It's the same course, day and times for both just a different starting tee so don't see why they can't mix the slots since the JSC has such a wider handicap range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭colmsix

beaverstown intermediate scr cup h/cap10/18.saturday 03 may €20.00 time sheet open www.beaverstown.com

Advertisement