Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Transport may collapse in 2013 says Varadkar

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I would say the figures are correct and I'm sure Rail Users Ireland would back them up.
    RUI, i'm sure they would back them up all right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well the improvments coming to Intercity service times from Heuston are a welcomed move and I hope they pay off and more passengers use the trains. It took a long time for the penny to drop but at leat they now realise there current intercity are not to an intercity standred.
    obviously their welcomed, hopefully IE are beginning to realise that for all our sakes
    €9.99 fares to Dublin don't seem to be appealing to people so just how low do they need to go for people. Take Waterford services the €9.99 fares have imporved passengers from there IMO as the trains seem bussier than this time last year. I don't have official figures to back it up but somebody here may be able to back it up.
    as i said, get rid of the direct service via the nenagh branch, run it as a shuttle service like was originally happening (to an extent)

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭flutered

there are just too many people with the travel pass, a millonaire at 70 is entitled to one, this does not make any kind of sense.a widow of 50 with 2m tucked away has one, a lass i know is off seven days a week, all free of course, also she has the knowlage of every penny dinner outlet in the 32 countys, if a train cannot take her all the way she has the bus to take her, another known tthe to me has as many air miles as an airline pilot, yet travel pass takes the edge of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Like other posters here you seem to be under the illusion that our railways/buses etc. are stuffed with rich pensioners with free travel - having travelled on public transport here for more than forty years I have never seen much evidence of this. The OAP passes issue is another red herring set to turn gullible people against each other in much the same was as a wedge is being driven between those working in the public and private sectors. Who profits from this - fat cats, union bosses and grubby politicians. Play their game if you want to but I'm not.

Check out the Belfast trains from Dublin, its mainly OAP'S on a day out Thats on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hilly Bill wrote: »

Check out the Belfast trains from Dublin, its mainly OAP'S on a day out Thats on it.

Again - not in my experience and anyway how do you know the financial status of the OAPs? My experience leads me to believe that well off people prefer the comfort of their own vehicles rather than slumming it with the great unwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If it can be proposed that child benefit be taxed then free travel should be at least reconfigured. It also advantages pensioners in high-public-transport-density areas over rural ones, even ones in relatively large regional towns. The reality is though, as I've pointed out before, that the Free Travel Scheme is a legitimate form of State Aid not easily substituted.

At the least the peak time restriction should be reinstated with Seamus Brennan's deeply unwise decision reversed on those lines and services routinely operating at capacity, particularly Dublin commuter bus, rail and light rail. If there are regional services running under capacity they could be left as is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

If it can be proposed that child benefit be taxed then free travel should be at least reconfigured. It also advantages pensioners in high-public-transport-density areas over rural ones, even ones in relatively large regional towns. The reality is though, as I've pointed out before, that the Free Travel Scheme is a legitimate form of State Aid not easily substituted.

At the least the peak time restriction should be reinstated with Seamus Brennan's deeply unwise decision reversed on those lines and services routinely operating at capacity, particularly Dublin commuter bus, rail and light rail. If there are regional services running under capacity they could be left as is.

Either that or charge at flat fare of €6 for Interciy services and €3 for Commuter at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Again - not in my experience and anyway how do you know the financial status of the OAPs? My experience leads me to believe that well off people prefer the comfort of their own vehicles rather than slumming it with the great unwashed.

Being a driver you see it all.
    The OAP couple that go to Malahide every week for a coffee and scone.
    Some that are afraid to go beyond their local shop.
    Others day trip the country.
    Some are too embarrassed to show the pass in public and will never use it.
    Other are so proud, they stick it to your nose.

I have a soft spot for the OAP's. Its not about status ~ its about still getting out and being alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Noel Dempseys Den

Like other posters here you seem to be under the illusion that our railways/buses etc. are stuffed with rich pensioners with free travel - having travelled on public transport here for more than forty years I have never seen much evidence of this. The OAP passes issue is another red herring set to turn gullible people against each other in much the same was as a wedge is being driven between those working in the public and private sectors. Who profits from this - fat cats, union bosses and grubby politicians. Play their game if you want to but I'm not.

I have, last Saturday, both ways. The smell of bullshíte is wafting like a broken drain from this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Anyone with a mental illness which makes them a danger to the public should not be allowed out on their own.
    I agree with this but what can be done about it? Can we reopen the mental hospitals and put the poor crayturs back where they felt safe and didn't have to trade Valium and "roaches" with the scum of the city to make a few euro for their cans and fags?

And without those oap's the line wouldn't be worth operating past Drogheda!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Being a driver you see it all.
    The OAP couple that go to Malahide every week for a coffee and scone.
    Some that are afraid to go beyond their local shop.
    Others day trip the country.
    Some are too embarrassed to show the pass in public and will never use it.
    Other are so proud, they stick it to your nose.

I have a soft spot for the OAP's. Its not about status ~ its about still getting out and being alive.

The number of Individuals of Pensionable Age in receipt of a Free Travel Scheme pass is less than 50% of the total.

346,759 of pensionable age out of a total of 726,000.

The issue is not,or ever has been,about Pensioners.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    without those oap's the line wouldn't be worth operating past Drogheda!
    and you know that how exactly? or is it to hard for you to comprehend that some people who don't have passes actually use the railways? fail again foggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

and you know that how exactly? or is it to hard for you to comprehend that some people who don't have passes actually use the railways? fail again foggy
    Never mind the ageism is getting a bit too much in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Written back in 2005 - A prayer against CIE and the dangerous ravings of a rail enthusiast. Let us pray

"Our Todd, who art in Heuston, hallowed be thine name
    Thine branch lines gone, enthusiasts moan
    In Ireland as it is in Britain
    Give us this day our daily train
    And deliver us from Beeching
    And lead us not into Phoenix Park
    But deliver us from Cravens"

Altogether now.......let us pray.

"You believe in Branch lines, carrying next to nothing
    You believe in Maedhbh, the greatest of steam engines
    Born of a broke nation, she arose through the gullet
    Crucified with Turf, and buried under Bulleid
    A Metrovick replaced thee and did Dublin to Cork in 2 1/2 hours
    She spoke through EMD, and replaced by a 201
    Scrapped in Hammond Lane and turned to useful razorblades
    We believe in Multiple Units
    High Speed Trains
    The Metro
    The Interconnector
    Buses that link with trains
    Integrated Transport, and the end of CIE.

Amen.

Deliver us Todd from CIE, and in your spirit, Slipthru and the ILDA. Grant us rail to Navan in our time, and peace from breakdowns on the Enterprise in your day. In your mercy, keep us free of Baby GM's and Cravens, and keep 2900's off Intercity. May the Rotems be utterly reliable and last 30 years.

We ask this through Transport21,

Amen.

What has their financial status got to do with them taking the train? Are you really saying that its just the less well off people that use the rain?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I agree with this but what can be done about it? Can we reopen the mental hospitals and put the poor crayturs back where they felt safe and didn't have to trade Valium and "roaches" with the scum of the city to make a few euro for their cans and fags?

And without those oap's the line wouldn't be worth operating past Drogheda!

What are you on about Foggy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have, last Saturday, both ways. The smell of bullshíte is wafting like a broken drain from this post.

Care to expand or are you up to more than 'clever' one-liners? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ah now, I was answering two of your earlier posts, let me know exactly what you didn't understand and I will try my best to explain further.

But do that via PM as I don't want to take this thread off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Noel Dempseys Den

Care to expand or are you up to more than 'clever' one-liners? :rolleyes:

Simple. I was in Belfast for the day on Saturday, the train was stuffed both ways and there were few pensioners. There is a hell of a lot of wishful thinking going on assuming that the railways are only being sustained by Free travel. That's bullshít.

You should try it mid-week.

I dont think anyone has said that the railway is only being sustained be free tavel.

dermo88 wrote: »
    Written back in 2005 - A prayer against CIE and the dangerous ravings of a rail enthusiast. Let us pray

"Our Todd, who art in Heuston, hallowed be thine name
    Thine branch lines gone, enthusiasts moan
    In Ireland as it is in Britain
    Give us this day our daily train
    And deliver us from Beeching
    And lead us not into Phoenix Park
    But deliver us from Cravens"

Altogether now.......let us pray.

"You believe in Branch lines, carrying next to nothing
    You believe in Maedhbh, the greatest of steam engines
    Born of a broke nation, she arose through the gullet
    Crucified with Turf, and buried under Bulleid
    A Metrovick replaced thee and did Dublin to Cork in 2 1/2 hours
    She spoke through EMD, and replaced by a 201
    Scrapped in Hammond Lane and turned to useful razorblades
    We believe in Multiple Units
    High Speed Trains
    The Metro
    The Interconnector
    Buses that link with trains
    Integrated Transport, and the end of CIE.

Amen.

Deliver us Todd from CIE, and in your spirit, Slipthru and the ILDA. Grant us rail to Navan in our time, and peace from breakdowns on the Enterprise in your day. In your mercy, keep us free of Baby GM's and Cravens, and keep 2900's off Intercity. May the Rotems be utterly reliable and last 30 years.

We ask this through Transport21,

Amen.

todd here, thou shal rise one time to warn you, thou people of eire, warned you be thine name by closing railways to save the rest, thou re-opened the ennis athenry railway, punish you be thine name, thine 3 regional railways close, thine 2900s stay on intercity, thine passengers all leave and the whole lot shut and lift be thine punishment, be punishment thine slow, told you all don't undo what i did, no people thine listen, thou people of eire, thou close the ennis athenry be thine saviour, thou will grant you the 22000s a long and usful life, and 2900s off intercity, do what you can to save the rest be thine better for it, and thou will grant you navon. people of eire, listen to me be thine name, before its to late, thou shal leave now, warned you be thine save the rest, slan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Will you guys knock it off? The rest of us are fed up with the sniping.

Can people be careful when using the [noparse]
    [/noparse] - I've just had to edit 6 posts on this thread.

Advertisement