Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

HI guys can anybody tell me how i go about getting a D license got the rom today to start studying and discovered its only for bikes and cars ?

so i there a disc for the D theory test ?

i got my D licence,CPC etc,cost me over €2000 all in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

ian_m wrote: »
    Has anybody had to say yes to this question on the application form:
    Have you ever been involved in a traffic accident for which you were held responsible?

if you lied would they find out ?

i had a look at the form.... i wonder how they would take 6 penalty points ?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    i got my D licence,CPC etc,cost me over €2000 all in

Are you including lessons?

PeteK* wrote: »
    Are you including lessons?

yes

i have been overlooked by Bus Eireann as i dont have bus driving experience!very cruel Imo,i have been told they conduct apptitude tests though has anyone here done one?if so what are they like?also found out they have 3000 applicants on their books,i've some chance:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ie.wojtek

ie.wojtek wrote: »
    Hi.
    There is few steps you have to folllow.
    1. You have to have a full B licence
    2. You have to pass theory test (you can book it in on theorytest . ie
    I would advise you to book test now as you'll have to wait anyway
    3. Once you pass your test with positive result you have to go to your Motor Tax office and obtain Learner Permit.
    Having this allows you to start your practical (driving) education
    4. You have to next pass CPC test (2 of them; one is a multichoice test, the second one is a case studies - here you will get questions that are not available in any of the book)
    5.You have to pass practical and driving test. Driving takes up to about 70 minutes
    6. If you do all of the above you can go once again to your Motor Tax Office and obtain your D licence.

Now you are bus driver. However before you can get on the road you have to obtain Driver's Digital Card (it is valid for 5 years).

Small update to this -
    to get the permit and or the full licence you have to go National Driver Licence Service - not to the Tax Office.
    it costs 35eu per application. You can book online the appointment or you can go and wait for a luck to be served.

I forgot to mention that you have to do Medical Check and Vision check too.
    Thanks

BTW
    On Exam there still 5th method - 40 questions/45 minutes/ max 5 incorrect answers allowed.
    If somebody has 6th edition, if you take a practical theory test in there you'll have 100questions.
    Between 5th and 6th edition questions are nearly the same. In the 6th one there is more statistic questions ie: How many people died on Irish Roads in 2012 by accident where the bus was involved?,,,,etc.

lads, what are your thoughts on applying for the job if your under 25 and have a few penalty points ? (Due to expire early 2015)

lads, what are your thoughts on applying for the job if your under 25 and have a few penalty points ? (Due to expire early 2015)
    I know bus eireann policy is once you are 23 and over,would depend on how many points no doubt.not sure is DB the same.

I know bus eireann policy is once you are 23 and over,would depend on how many points no doubt.not sure is DB the same.

will be 23 in october ! would rather BE to be honest.

i'd happily sit on motorways all day ! :pac:

will be 23 in october ! would rather BE to be honest.

i'd happily sit on motorways all day ! :pac:
    if you can get a private firm to give you the experience first then you are on the pigs back!BE and other companies keep using the magic words ***EXPERIENCE NEEDED*** but if you have any bit of internal help that would be a big bonus :D have you got the licence,cpc's???cost me a bomb and still no job:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

if you can get a private firm to give you the experience first then you are on the pigs back!BE and other companies keep using the magic words ***EXPERIENCE NEEDED*** but if you have any bit of internal help that would be a big bonus :D have you got the licence,cpc's???cost me a bomb and still no job:mad:

TBH if you have more than 2 points or any type of RTA or criminal record you may forget BE.

magentis wrote: »
    TBH if you have more than 2 points or any type of RTA or criminal record you may forget BE.
    they do employ people with previous convictions,but in the current market they may tend to over look them,i had a brush with the law a good few years back,its there for life,not automatically bye bye job but it certainly doesn't make me an attractive option to employ,rather the opposite :rolleyes:

they do employ people with previous convictions,but in the current market they may tend to over look them,i had a brush with the law a good few years back,its there for life,not automatically bye bye job but it certainly doesn't make me an attractive option to employ,rather the opposite :rolleyes:

They don't take on people with previous road traffic convictions or criminal convictions or more than 2 points i know this for a fact.I would imagine DB is the same.
    The only way someone would slip through the net is if they did not disclose the conviction/points and it didn't appear on the checks that are run.
    But if its found out at a later date,its a problem.

They don't take on people with previous road traffic convictions or criminal convictions or more than 2 points i know this for a fact.I would imagine DB is the same.
    The only way someone would slip through the net is if they did not disclose the conviction/points and it didn't appear on the checks that are run.
    But if its found out at a later date,its a problem.

previous experience???i had a job offer withdrawn for said reason.the past always comes back to haunt people

previous experience???i had a job offer withdrawn for said reason.the past always comes back to haunt people

All you can do is put the head down and drive on man.
    Keep the past in your past fcuk the begrudgers.

All you can do is put the head down and drive on man.
    Keep the past in your past fcuk the begrudgers.

was the "drive on" pun intended haha sure i'll keep trying

i wonder in that case then which private companies would take on to start getting experience ?

i wonder in that case then which private companies would take on to start getting experience ?

if you annoy them enough one of them will eventually give in thats what happened with me,kept bombarding them with cv's & emails

if you annoy them enough one of them will eventually give in thats what happened with me,kept bombarding them with cv's & emails

will keep on top of that so !

do you mind saying which company your with at the moment ?

even by pm if you need !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Annoying anyone really isn't the route to be going down.
    It's an employers market out there at the moment & getting some ones back up
    I wouldn't recommend.

In saying that it doesn't pay to go softly softly either & I'm talking from experience
    but call in & try to talk to someone in charge or the business owner at least.
    I got some PT work through talking to an owner.

• Advertisement

Annoying anyone really isn't the route to be going down.
    It's an employers market out there at the moment & getting some ones back up
    I wouldn't recommend.

In saying that it doesn't pay to go softly softly either & I'm talking from experience
    but call in & try to talk to someone in charge or the business owner at least.
    I got some PT work through talking to an owner.
    I agree with what you are saying,but when I say annoying I mean contacting them every now and again,it took 7 months before I got anywhere

Aircoach are recruiting if anyone is interested,just seen the advert

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

I work for dublin bus, there is a lot of uncertainty about the future conditions and pay. I would not be putting all my eggs in one basket by thinking bus driving would be a good long term job. New employees are on reduced pay and conditions compared to those who are already employed. I dont see it getting any better, only worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Give this lad a job. Absolute legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsysI6ho3OE

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

Give this lad a job. Absolute legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsysI6ho3OE

Thats nothing, a few years ago one of our eastern european dublin bus drivers, only in the job a wet day, had a passenger up stairs on his bus who was acting up. The driver went up to tell him he had to get off the bus, the passenger had a swing at the driver, big mistake, the driver proceeded to beat the living daylights out of him,trow him down the stairs and drag him off the bus and leave him at the side of the road.
    Now the sad part, the trouble maker did not report the driver , but do gooder passengers.
    Too cut a long story short, ended up in court, judge said passenger assaulted driver and he only defended himself. Driver kept his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If we could only get rid of all the do gooders.

steveblack wrote: »
    I work for dublin bus, there is a lot of uncertainty about the future conditions and pay. I would not be putting all my eggs in one basket by thinking bus driving would be a good long term job. New employees are on reduced pay and conditions compared to those who are already employed. I dont see it getting any better, only worse.
    are ye on the same t&c's as your bus eireann counterparts???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

are ye on the same t&c's as your bus eireann counterparts???

No.

Apart from some common CIE Group related elements,both Companies are seperate operating entities and have different operational contracts.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    No.

Apart from some common CIE Group related elements,both Companies are seperate operating entities and have different operational contracts.
    are you a DB driver?

• Advertisement

how long does it take from submitting the application to hearing anything back ?

Advertisement