Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

Digs wrote: »
    I would get in touch with them. My daughters first time application was received on 21.07.14 and only moved to the checking stage yesterday.

Jesus this "express" service is a joke. Into the 10th working day now and it hasn't even been looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

briany wrote: »
    And do I enclose the documents before handing the lot over, letting the clerk handle that? I just don't wanna mess anything up here, but information is really scant. There's zero, that I can see, about passport returns on DFA. I'm maybe not looking hard enough, but if it's there it's not obvious.

It comes with an address printed on it right? Just include what they've requested (I had to return stuff and also included a note with my Passport Express number on; it's not required but I just wanted to be on the safe side so they could match my application with the documentation I was having to send in), and send it via registered post. Costs €6 with next day delivery. They'll get it done for you fairly quick once they've got the missing documentation.

Jesus this "express" service is a joke. Into the 10th working day now and it hasn't even been looked at.

It's summer? They state on their website that 10 days is a guideline and not a guarantee, and that during busy periods it may take longer.

I blame the silly people that don't bother renewing / applying for passports during the other 9 quiet months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Illiterate First time applicants take a minimum of 15 working days. It says so on the dfa website. It says so here. It says so everywhere.

It's August so minimum means minimum. But they should probably drop everything because you suddenly need a passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    It comes with an address printed on it right? Just include what they've requested (I had to return stuff and also included a note with my Passport Express number on; it's not required but I just wanted to be on the safe side so they could match my application with the documentation I was having to send in), and send it via registered post. Costs €6 with next day delivery. They'll get it done for you fairly quick once they've got the missing documentation.

Yeah it has a post office box for Balbriggan PPO printed on the front, there's a letter that comes with returned applications and it contains the original application number, among other things. I presume that's what you mean by the note? It says on my thing that I'm supposed to include that letter when sending back for continuity's sake. The return envelope is basically a standard size letter envelope. It'll be fairly bulging by the time it has all the required info in it! I'll be having to fold the PP form into a square and whatnot which I really don't like having to do.

Illiterate First time applicants take a minimum of 15 working days. It says so on the dfa website. It says so here. It says so everywhere.

It's August so minimum means minimum. But they should probably drop everything because you suddenly need a passport.

Good one with the snide remark at the very start of your post. Real classy of you (Whatever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling when you press enter I suppose)

The point im trying to make is that it shouldn't take a month to get a passport. If the place has a bad backlog during the summer months then employ more seasonal staff, sure the country needs the jobs!
    I'm not one of these people that thinks my **** should be pushed to the top of the line because I need something, just saying that if you get your application in on the 21st like the poster above and it's only being checked on the 13th of the next month then the service is broken and needs a revamp. Yeah I should've applied earlier but I didn't know I was travelling until last month.
    Anyway ill give them a call in the morning and see how things are moving. Ill give whoever cares a progress report here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

That's pretty unfair. Nobody is blaming the staff, no doubt they are working flat out but clearly they are under resourced. If I was to have a similar attitude to yours It would be fair to fire back to you that summer happens every year.... at the same time, so could they not allow for this? :rolleyes:

In my opinion the word express should be dropped, its not express, aside from going into the office it's your only option. Also the turnaround time should be lengthened. There is a big difference between 10 working days and 20. An automated response to acknowledge receipt of emails etc wouldn't go amiss either.

I am flying 7th Sept and sent my daughters application on the 18th July... hardly unreasonable? My issue is I am without my passport (which is in date) 19 working days later and cannot apply to renew my drivers licence. While I am able to take a deep breath and deal with it.....it's hardly satisfactory.

Oh and just as an aside the DFA website says 13/15 days average for first time applications, not minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Digs wrote: »
    That's pretty unfair. Nobody is blaming the staff, no doubt they are working flat out but clearly they are under resourced. If I was to have a similar attitude to yours It would be fair to fire back to you that summer happens every year.... at the same time, so could they not allow for this? :rolleyes:

In my opinion the word express should be dropped, its not express, aside from going into the office it's your only option. Also the turnaround time should be lengthened. There is a big difference between 10 working days and 20. An automated response to acknowledge receipt of emails etc wouldn't go amiss either.

I am flying 7th Sept and sent my daughters application on the 18th July... hardly unreasonable? My issue is I am without my passport (which is in date) 19 working days later and cannot apply to renew my drivers licence. While I am able to take a deep breath and deal with it.....it's hardly satisfactory.

Oh and just as an aside the DFA website says 13/15 days average for first time applications, not minimum.

The quote on top was the one I was responding to - that's why I quoted it.

briany wrote: »
    Yeah it has a post office box for Balbriggan PPO printed on the front, there's a letter that comes with returned applications and it contains the original application number, among other things. I presume that's what you mean by the note? It says on my thing that I'm supposed to include that letter when sending back for continuity's sake. The return envelope is basically a standard size letter envelope. It'll be fairly bulging by the time it has all the required info in it! I'll be having to fold the PP form into a square and whatnot which I really don't like having to do.

If I remember rightly I used sellotape on mine in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mom5

I am hoping someone will be able to help with an application. When I track them the status says received on the 29th July and issue date 12/8 but I checked again this morning and the status has not changed. My only concern is that we are travelling on the 21st for our first ever holiday and if I need to submit any more info we wont have them back on time. I have submitted my renewal and first time application for the 6 kids.
    I understand it is a really busy time of year they must have these requests daily. I send an email yesterday and one today with proof of travel but have no reply got. Also cant get hold of anyone by phone. Should I travel up to Dublin?

mom5 wrote: »
    I am hoping someone will be able to help with an application. When I track them the status says received on the 29th July and issue date 12/8 but I checked again this morning and the status has not changed. My only concern is that we are travelling on the 21st for our first ever holiday and if I need to submit any more info we wont have them back on time. I have submitted my renewal and first time application for the 6 kids.
    I understand it is a really busy time of year they must have these requests daily. I send an email yesterday and one today with proof of travel but have no reply got. Also cant get hold of anyone by phone. Should I travel up to Dublin?

Yes. For first time applications it can take much longer. Personally, I'd get into them ASAP. You'll have to pay the extra cash though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

jaymcg91 wrote: »

I tried to register it with the woman at the post office and was going, 'no, no, no need. It'll be sent express." So I don't know. I hope it's not another case of being blatantly told the wrong thing or something. I'm reminded to not trust your stuff with others too much as it can really bite you. Or if you take your eye off anything for a second, something can go wrong. I got the four new photos stamped at the garda station today, came out with them, was five minutes down the road with them and looked at them again. Fecking ink everywhere. Smudged to hell on the back and the fronts looked like something Jackson Pollock would have been satisfied with. Had to go back and ask for two more to be stamped. Thank god I had spares. I came out of the station holding these new ones like they were made of uranium. That is some very delicate ink. I don't know how they'll fare in the envelope, but sure people send those things in every day. I assume it's somewhat expected and allowed that the stamp is not going to be of the greatest condition.

I actually know someone who works in the passport office in Balbriggan, so I kind of have an insider track on what's going on with the application. I was unlucky enough to have my last app assigned a temp checker, which could mean that they were working to rule, because otherwise, often, they'll call if there are problems. At least that's what I'm told. Of course, some problems necessitate sending it back.

Also the woman who's doing mine told me to get the photos witnessed at Balbriggan GS if possible, because Skerries can be a bit of a hassle trying to get a hold of the appropriate witness. I don't know exactly how true that is, but it's something to think about for anyone considering applying in the Skerries/Balbriggan area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Anyone know how long the checking process normally takes?

3 calendar days left until the issue date and today's the 3rd day it's been checking. Nothing (hopefully) out of order with it, renewal for a child's passport with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

Im in the same position as you. Its been at checking stage for 3+ days now and due to be sent out on 19th so youre not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mindybutt1

Mine are all ready for collection monday between 11 and 3 . Dealt with such friendly staff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Got a call earlier to say it'll be ready on the 18th in the afternoon and status is now approved, crisis averted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Hey
    I was wondering do you have to submit your birth cert with your application if you don't want your middle name on your passport.

My middle name appears on my last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

iDann wrote: »
    Hey
    I was wondering do you have to submit your birth cert with your application if you don't want your middle name on your passport.

My middle name appears on my last.

You don't need to submit your birth cert if you are renewing and your forename 1 and surname are staying the same.

On the name to appear part of the application form just put down your first name and surname.

If you ever want to add your middle name again you will need to submit your birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 does not compute

hey guys, this is a great thread for passport info.
    Was just wondering if anyone knew what the turnaround times were like at the moment.
    Passport tracking shows the following:

Application No. 1040******. Received on 06/08/2014 and has been registered.
    Issue Date: 19/08/2014
    Website Last Updated: 18/08/2014 at 07:45

Am traveling on the 21st and it says issue date is the 19th. Have been trying to call to advise that am traveling in 3 days but cannot get through. Have also sent in emails with flight proof but am getting worried now.
    I know those good guys in the Passport office are prob swamped with applications at the moment but does anyone have any advice on what i could do next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

hey guys, this is a great thread for passport info.
    Was just wondering if anyone knew what the turnaround times were like at the moment.
    Passport tracking shows the following:

Application No. 1040******. Received on 06/08/2014 and has been registered.
    Website Last Updated: 18/08/2014 at 07:45

Am traveling on the 21st and it says issue date is the 19th. Have been trying to call to advise that am traveling in 3 days but cannot get through. Have also sent in emails with flight proof but am getting worried now.
    I know those good guys in the Passport office are prob swamped with applications at the moment but does anyone have any advice on what i could do next?

Make your way to the passport office in Dublin or Cork and explain the situation to the person at reception. Bring in proof of travel. They should be able to advise.

Thanks for the advice!

Looks like the status has changed. Its now "being checked"
    Fingers crossed its printed and issued soon today/tomorrow!

Application Number Entered: 1040***819
    Status: Application No. 10403237819. Received on 06/08/2014 and is being checked.

Website Last Updated:18/08/2014 at 13:45

Thanks for the advice!

Looks like the status has changed. Its now "being checked"
    Fingers crossed its printed and issued soon today/tomorrow!

Application Number Entered: 1040***819
    Status: Application No. 10403237819. Received on 06/08/2014 and is being checked.

Website Last Updated:18/08/2014 at 13:45

If it's in Cork we are doing issue dates for the 20th today. There might be some leftovers from the 19th knocking about too.

Oh thanks for that update! Its greatly appreciated! I am in Galway but for some reason believe that it may be in Dublin.

I am eagerly watching the tracking site however.

It currently says:
    "Application No. 10403237819. Received on 06/08/2014 and is being checked."

Do you know if the website is only updated at certain times??
    Think I only saw update times of 7.45am and 13.45.

Oh thanks for that update! Its greatly appreciated! I am in Galway but for some reason believe that it may be in Dublin.

I am eagerly watching the tracking site however.

It currently says:
    "Application No. 10403237819. Received on 06/08/2014 and is being checked."

Do you know if the website is only updated at certain times??
    Think I only saw update times of 7.45am and 13.45.

Yours will be in Dublin. Galway goes to Dublin. Sorry, couldn't tell you about the update times.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Updates are 7:45, 13:45 and 18:45 :)

thanks everyone for all the assistance and advice. Much appreciated. :)

Does anyone know how long the status usually stays at " is being checked"?
    Its been like this for 24 hours now and the Issue date says 19/08/2014 which is today

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Its been like this for 24 hours now and the Issue date says 19/08/2014 which is today

Mine was registered on 28th July, issue date was 12th August.
    Went to checked Friday afternoon (15th) and then went to approved yesterday evening (18th).
    Just checked and it has gone straight to posted as of 15 minutes ago, still said approved at 13:45 today.
    First time application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

Mines been at checking status for about 6 days now and is due to be issued today too....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement