Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

I've opened an account but havent paid the deposit yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I cant get in to open an account? How did you do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

can any give me info on which is the better of the accommodation???

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

you cant beat the luxurious plassey...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

cson wrote: »
    I feel suitably inspired.

Year 1 - Kilmurry No.23

The Good :)

Craic Factor The best way I can describe how much fun Kilmurry is; Think of a mad music festival weekend except imagine living like that for a year. There is always something happening in the village. The security are pretty nonplussed about the whole thing although I'm hearing rumours its a lot stricter now that Daft Dave is gone. Still, expect a minimum of 2 riots per semester and a house party on somewhere every night.

Convenience You are close to everything. You can afford to get up at 8.45am for a 9am lecture and still make it with time to spare. You're close to the Arena which is cool for a swim after a hard days College! You're so close to the lodge that if the ground is good-firm you can trek it on foot through the pitches. Even getting a taxi its only ~€2 each for 4. You're close to Superquinn and Fine Wines for the necessities.

Housemates I'm hanging around this year with friends I made in my own house and friends I made from just randomly heading into someone elses house. Its a great place to get to know people. You'll find it easy to make friends if you make a little effort yourself.

Other Stuff Parking is usually no problem, plenty of places. Our living room was fine, decent telly and we had very comfy couches although this isn't the norm. There are mainly anti-sex synthetic leather couches in the other houses which aren't very comfy. The house inspections are usually ok, we got second chances with them a couple of times and for the most part the village staff are sound. The price is pretty good too considering its all inclusive.

The Bad :(

Toilets This will be a major deal if you have an en-suite at home. Huge shock to the system to have to share a toilet with 3 others. You'll be alright for basic stuff as you have a sink in your room but having to wait for a shower or a shite is annoying. Plus if your toilet is on the ground floor like ours was, it gets really messy after parties. Nasty messy.

Kitchen The size of the fridge for 8 people is an absolute joke. It's the only issue I had with the kitchen. Everything else was fine, plenty of cupboard space and the cooker and delph were fine. But the fridge is a disgrace. Very annoying if you're the last to arrive on Sunday and the thing is full.

Parties How can this be bad I hear you say? Well waking up to something resembling a rubbish dump after a party is not nice. Having to clean it up yourself is worse again. Even if you don't have parties, you can be on the recieving end, we had a couple of bottles thrown at the house and had windows and doorbells broken. The Village Manager is usually fine with it and will have it fixed for you.

Other Stuff Its luck of the draw whether you get a double bed or not. There are 4 in every house. I was lucky I got one, I'd have hated a single. I'm 6'2" and I like to stretch out in bed! Internet is fine, you can get wireless off the Village Hall now and again. Annoying if you have a bottom floor room whose window fronts out onto the path as you'll hear absolutely fooking everything.

Thats pretty much all I can think of right now. Any q's about Kilmurry post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

I'll do one for Cappavilla in a couple of weeks after I've got more of a hold on the place.

Brilliant review:D I'm booking an 8 bed in Kilmurry with a mate from here so should be a good laugh with 6 others.

Have a friend who owns a shop sponsored by monster energy so I reckon I'll be able to get a giant monster energy can fridge through him he has one down the shop nd it looks very nice indeed...should sort the kitchen out and look mad:eek: winwin:cool:

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I cant register with my cao number on the campus life website. Has anyone else been able to apply?
    you can apply now i applied yesterday.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

Hey all. How long have first year applications been open for? I can't seem to apply by the website at all! I'm absolutely desperate to get in, too.

gloryutd wrote: »
    Hey all. How long have first year applications been open for? I can't seem to apply by the website at all! I'm absolutely desperate to get in, too.
    I have been trying to apply for the past week and I cant. Go onto the website and print the form then post it, thats what im doing. You pay the deposit by cheque.

Oh I applied for dromroe by the way.

is there more second years in kilmurry? or is it just first years?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

Why hello there I hope to go to U.L next year and just wondering whats the best accomadtion for first years for making new friends and partying please state the cheapest and any advice on how to take out a loan to pay for this?

kinda poor here but hoping to get a loan through credit union thanks:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

can people not going to U.L live lets say in plassey my friend hopes to live with me next year I want plassey and she wants limerick senior but still wants to live with me and she wants plassey so could that be possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

can people not going to U.L live lets say in plassey my friend hopes to live with me next year I want plassey and she wants limerick senior but still wants to live with me and she wants plassey so could that be possible?

I don't think this is possible, it's only available for students of UL.

I applied by post and paid the deposit by cheque. When should I hear back? I havent even gotten a receipt for the deposit yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DitzyPurple

I live in Brookfield and I love it! :)
    The place is quite when you compare it to the other student villages, but I find that really good, when I want to sleep/study I can do so easily but if I want to go out and go crazy, I can do that just as easily also!!
    I would recommond Brookfield to anyone, I have lived in Kilmurry previously and didn't like it as much as I had hoped I would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shrimpsurs

I live in Brookfield and I love it! :)
    The place is quite when you compare it to the other student villages, but I find that really good, when I want to sleep/study I can do so easily but if I want to go out and go crazy, I can do that just as easily also!!
    I would recommond Brookfield to anyone, I have lived in Kilmurry previously and didn't like it as much as I had hoped I would have.

Hi , I was looking at places to saty and was wondering how affordable the rent etc is at brookfield and the is it close to UL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

I dont know whether to go to Dromroe or Capavilla. Does anyone know which would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

shrimpsurs wrote: »
    Hi , I was looking at places to saty and was wondering how affordable the rent etc is at brookfield and the is it close to UL?

Brookfield is about €100 p/w and is at least 20mins walk from UL..
    Its nice down there, just a little isolated imo.
    Alice10 wrote: »
    I dont know whether to go to Dromroe or Capavilla. Does anyone know which would be better?

Depends really, Dromroe is centrally located on campus, and you are pretty much only 5 mins from everywhere on campus.

Cappa on the other hand is across the living bridge, which is only an added 5 mins walk.

Cappa is brand new, is nice, and has a shop up there now too.

I'd flip a coin, as they are much the same imo apart from location.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Mossin wrote: »
    Brookfield is about €100 p/w and is at least 20mins walk from UL..
    Its nice down there, just a little isolated imo.

Depends really, Dromroe is centrally located on campus, and you are pretty much only 5 mins from everywhere on campus.

Cappa on the other hand is across the living bridge, which is only an added 5 mins walk.

Cappa is brand new, is nice, and has a shop up there now too.

I'd flip a coin, as they are much the same imo apart from location.

Dromroe has nicer more comfey couches!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SpaniardGolf

Avignon Mifford Grange! I am love my time here. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Sattwa69

Brilliant review:D I'm booking an 8 bed in Kilmurry with a mate from here so should be a good laugh with 6 others.

Have a friend who owns a shop sponsored by monster energy so I reckon I'll be able to get a giant monster energy can fridge through him he has one down the shop nd it looks very nice indeed...should sort the kitchen out and look mad:eek: winwin:cool:

hey, wheres the monster energy shop ???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Sattwa69 wrote: »
    hey, wheres the monster energy shop ???????????

It's a bicycle shop, backed by monster...

http://www.mbikeworks.ie it's in moycullen in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

Could ye please answer these questions

1)Is Plassey the best place for 1st years??
    2)Should I apply for a 4person or 8 person flat??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

TWO QUESTIONS
    1)Is plassey the best place for first years and if so why??
    2)Should I apply for a 4 person or an 8 person flight??

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Plassey is definitly the best if you're a first year because it is full of other first years so you are sure to make friends, also it is relatively close to everything (college, lodge, aldi). I went into first year knowing no-one and by the end of the year I had 6 good friends from my house.

Go for the 8 bedroom house because as I said above you'll have more chances for making good friends. Also there will be a good mix of guys/girls :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i would do everything in my power to stay away from plassey its a complete hole

which is the reason its full of 1st years, they dont know any better

kilmurry on the other hand is also full of first years but is slightly better than plassey as far as accomodation goes and is much better located

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

I've seen a lot worse places then plassey. Its decent, no its not as nice as cappa/dromroe/thomand but it is still decent. Besides they did it up last summer so every house or at least nearly every house has double glazing windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

pajunior wrote: »
    I've seen a lot worse places then plassey. Its decent, no its not as nice as cappa/dromroe/thomand but it is still decent. Besides they did it up last summer so every house or at least nearly every house has double glazing windows.

there are worse places off campus im sure but not on campus

obviouslyi havnt lived there i was in kilmurry for first and second year but having been in friends houses i wouldnt recomend it to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

If anyone wants any info about Kilmurry for first years, I don't mind answering any questions you may have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bill Board

Hey guys,

Im heading to U.L. in Sept to do a masters.

Just wondering where ye would recommened for those 23yr olds who know no one but are well up for the craic, going out etc.

Hate not knowing anyone so it would be great to stay somewhere where people mix easily as i know in some estates people just stick to themselves!

Been honest im only going back to live it up collage style for another year! Hope ye can help. Cheers. :)

Advertisement