Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

padraig_f wrote: »
    Derrick Rose expected to return from knee surgery in 4-6 weeks

Good stuff. 6 weeks would be mid-April, just before the playoffs. You'd like to get him back a week or two before to get the rust off.

Was reading a bit about the meniscus tear, and seems it's very common when it's been repaired to tear again (something like a 40% chance). He's had part of it removed, which apparently should not affect performance. I was watching a video of a similar procedure, it's arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery, and they kind of clean up the damaged part, so it looks very minor.

Hopefully his rehab goes well, and he can make a comeback for the playoffs.

It does seem to be relatively straightforward as far as knee procedures go. I think everyone concerned got a fright considering who it happened to and of course Rose's injury history, but I saw K.C. Johnson tweet the below:
    Been told Rose's surgery lasted roughly 10 minutes and that he had no swelling before. Compared to pebble in shoe. Now removed, pain-free.

Probably one of those things where if it's not a player with Rose's injury history that people just think "meh, no big deal really" about but it's only natural for us all to be a bit wary all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Paully D wrote: »
    It does seem to be relatively straightforward as far as knee procedures go. I think everyone concerned got a fright considering who it happened to and of course Rose's injury history, but I saw K.C. Johnson tweet the below:

Probably one of those things where if it's not a player with Rose's injury history that people just think "meh, no big deal really" about but it's only natural for us all to be a bit wary all things considered.

I think if any of the top 10 players got an injury like this ya would be worried for them, knee injuries, however minor they may be, always seem to come back around in the majority of cases, especially in a sport like basketball...

I really hope this is the end his injury run though, it is sickening seeing one of the best players around sitting out seasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Unfortunately DRD has been sitebanned permanently for behaviour on other parts of the site. It's a shame as he was a regular contributor here. Anyways, we won't discuss him anymore.

Ah, I was unaware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Have just seen (I think, unconfirmed) reports on the AP's Twitter account that former Knick Anthony Mason has died. Such a shame, so soon after Jerome Kersey. I remember them both very well. Loved Mason - very much a bada*s but he could ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Have just seen (I think, unconfirmed) reports on the AP's Twitter account that former Knick Anthony Mason has died. Such a shame, so soon after Jerome Kersey. I remember them both very well. Loved Mason - very much a bada*s but he could ball too.

Saw it aswell the AP are saying the Knicks are saying he's dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

This story on ESPN seems to confirm it... (note, 'seems')
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/12397807/anthony-mason-former-new-york-knick-forward-dies-48

For anyone too young to remember Mason, this YouTube video sums him up perfectly... I loved this NBA era. Blue-collar tough teams were the order of the day... I just don't get the same feel watching the modern, somewhat sanitised NBA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

The Lakers had better well make the playoffs, ruin our chances off getting a star to be a nothing team this year :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Lakers Celtics & Knicks W last night and now a B2B for Knicks.........
    0f55a9a8863dce6738623c95a9999548.png

Phoenix have 24 pts at the half vs spurs at home, shooting 19%... wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

A new low for the raptors last night:mad:

• Advertisement

Celtics lead golden state by thirteen after one. Four in a row.

Celtics up by 17 with 2:44 left in the half. It's 58-41 celtics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Really fun game between the Cavs and Rockets tonight. LeBron had something going on in his head from the FT line all night. Missed so many including 2 clutch ones with 4 seconds left. Would recommend to watch tomorrow for anyone with league pass or ballstreams.

celtics really are a different team since they got isaiah if they had an inside presence and/or sully still healthy they could really supprise the hawks if they made the playoffs

edit: when they dont stop moving the ball that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Celtics messing up their plan. Brad Stevens is a hell of a coach.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Celtics messing up their plan. Brad Stevens is a hell of a coach.

good game celtics are unlucky. ya brad is a serious coach celtics fans/ podcasts are all very worried he will leave if the franchise does not start to build soon. the one thing i will say is they have given up a lot of big leads this year (including giving up a 26 point lead today) by stopping moving the ball on offence. but as i said before if they can get someone that can play good interior defence they will be a very difficult team to beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Looks like the Cavs and Rockets will have a pretty good rivalry: cheap shots (check), techs (check), both Harden and LeBron playing at another level (check). Still can't believe LeBron at the line last night. He made 3 of 11... I have no words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Clippers 96 - Bulls 86

Ugly game, Clippers without Blake Griffin, Bulls without Rose, Taj Gibson (rolled ankle previous game), and then lost Jimmy Butler early in the game (hurt his elbow getting hit on a screen). I think the Bulls would've won if Butler had've stayed in because the Clippers weren't great, but his loss was too much.

Another classic Hinbrick performance....25 mins, 0 points, 0-7 FG, 0 assists, 2 turnovers. I sometimes feel bad about criticising him because he was a decent player for the Bulls back in the day, but he's completely finished now. What's driving the fans a bit crazy isn't just that he's washed up, it happens to everyone, but because he 'does things the right way' Thibs insists on playing him 20-25 mins a game.

Anyway, Lebron missing those two free throws at the end of overtime cheered me up.

I don't know how Harden was not ejected for kicking Lebron in the nuts.

• Advertisement

JaVale McGee has been waived by the Sixers:(

I don't know how Harden was not ejected for kicking Lebron in the nuts.

Yeah was thinking that when I was watching last night. The official even reviewed it. It was a complete cheap shot on Hardens behalf. He's a terrific layer but that sort of thing has no place in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

D2D wrote: »

Strange one…..but he'll have a lot of suitors looking for him to do a job in the Play Offs. Also he didn't have to give up any of his 11+ million salary this year or the 12m next. Nice work if you evan get it.

Yeah was thinking that when I was watching last night. The official even reviewed it. It was a complete cheap shot on Hardens behalf. He's a terrific layer but that sort of thing has no place in the game.

I just watched it as I hadn't seen the game.

I don't know, it's not like he made a lot of contact. I think an ejection would have been pretty harsh. I'll put it this way…it's nowhere near as bad as his buddy's D Wade's various kicks over the years.

That said, it certainly played its part in costing me a small fortune as I was on the Cavs last night. Lebron's free throw woes cost me dearly. :mad:

The good news just keeps coming for Bulls fans. Jimmy out 3-6 weeks with his elbow injury, that's a huge blow.

And this evening....

KC Johnson: Thibs relationship with the front-office is 'beyond repair':
    https://m.soundcloud.com/bleacherreportradio/chicago-tribunes-kc-johnson-says-tom-thibodeau-bulls-may-part-ways-after-2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The good news just keeps coming for Bulls fans. Jimmy out 3-6 weeks with his elbow injury, that's a huge blow.

And this evening....

KC Johnson: Thibs relationship with the front-office is 'beyond repair':
    https://m.soundcloud.com/bleacherreportradio/chicago-tribunes-kc-johnson-says-tom-thibodeau-bulls-may-part-ways-after-2015

I think time has run out for this Bulls group to be honest. I'm ready to write it off.

The Thibs stuff has been building for so long now and anything but a Finals appearance probably sees him on his way this summer. Then the best case scenario injury-wise is Rose coming back with a couple of games to knock the rust off before jumping straight into the playoffs and this team doesn't win anything without Rose playing at his semi-best at the very least. A level impossible to reach this season anyway. Given the Butler injury and the fact our back court is going to be Brooks and Hinrich for the next month or two on top of a tough schedule, I think there's far more of a chance that we'll finish with the 5th seed than the 2nd seed. A second round playoff exit at best is coming up.

It's a large case of "what if" for me. I really thought it may have been a matter of time before it all clicked together after the 2010-2011 run to the Conference Finals but alas it appears like it wasn't to be.

Where to now?

• Advertisement

@TheBullsShow: I'm convinced this was the last straw for Thibs, GarPax decided no coach who plays this guy should have a job:

https://vine.co/v/O0zaHnU2ZEH

Heh, I was looking for that one on YouTube yesterday, was from last night's game.

Paully D wrote: »
    I think time has run out for this Bulls group to be honest. I'm ready to write it off.

The Thibs stuff has been building for so long now and anything but a Finals appearance probably sees him on his way this summer. Then the best case scenario injury-wise is Rose coming back with a couple of games to knock the rust off before jumping straight into the playoffs and this team doesn't win anything without Rose playing at his semi-best at the very least. A level impossible to reach this season anyway. Given the Butler injury and the fact our back court is going to be Brooks and Hinrich for the next month or two on top of a tough schedule, I think there's far more of a chance that we'll finish with the 5th seed than the 2nd seed. A second round playoff exit at best is coming up.

It's a large case of "what if" for me. I really thought it may have been a matter of time before it all clicked together after the 2010-2011 run to the Conference Finals but alas it appears like it wasn't to be.

Where to now?

Yeah was hoping to get a top-3 seed to avoid Cleveland/Washington/Atlanta/Toronto in the first round, but could well slip to 4 or 5 now.

The Butler injury was kind of a freak one, hurt his elbow on a screen, could've happened any time. But bad luck or not, it'll be the 3rd straight season the team will be heading into the playoffs carrying significant injuries.

And that's what's at the heart of the dispute between Thibs and the front office. The front-office brought in that fitness consultant, Jennifer Swanson...

Bulls name Swanson Director of Sports Performance.

It was on her recommendation that Rose and Noah were playing limited minutes earlier in the season. I think Thibs felt his position undermined by that, that he wasn't trusted by management to play guys the right minutes.

I can see that from both sides, how he might feel undermined. At the same time, he was playing guys too many minutes.

1 game suspension for James Harden

celtics really are a different team since they got isaiah if they had an inside presence and/or sully still healthy they could really supprise the hawks if they made the playoffs

edit: when they dont stop moving the ball that is

The game on Sunday night when he came back into the game and was announced the crowd cheered. He's a keeper as the fans have taken to him already.

Nuggets "release" (that's fire to you and me) Brian Shaw. Really hasn't worked out for him there.

• Advertisement

Celtics situation sits Thomas perfectly. It wasn't going to work on the Suns who had a lot of quality guards. When Isaiah is on the court for the Celtics he's the ball carrier and there's no doubt about it.

Nuggets "release" (that's fire to you and me) Brian Shaw. Really hasn't worked out for him there.
    Any team who breaks a huddle, under any circumstances, saying "1-2-3 Six Weeks!", is a team full of losers. And what about Faried? Way to show no leadership and take a stand about that. How did he get on the Olympic team again? Did he learn nothing from that experience?

Those players are absolute embarrassments to basketball. In my opinion, Shaw got lucky here. What a joke of a roster that is. I hope that huddle break goes on all their highlight films.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Any team who breaks a huddle, under any circumstances, saying "1-2-3 Six Weeks!", is a team full of losers. And what about Faried? Way to show no leadership and take a stand about that. How did he get on the Olympic team again? Did he learn nothing from that experience?

Those players are absolute embarrassments to basketball. In my opinion, Shaw got lucky here. What a joke of a roster that is. I hope that huddle break goes on all their highlight films.

Shaw said that the 6 weeks referred to the last time they won at home and it added up. Hopefully that was the case.

Mongo wrote: »
    Shaw said that the 6 weeks referred to the last time they won at home and it added up. Hopefully that was the case.
    Possibly. In either case it appears he wasn't helped by a roster with a poor attitude. I hope he gets another shot somewhere. He was an excellent assistant coach at the Pacers so he deserves it.

I saw the phrase "relieved him of his coaching duties."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭BQQ

Possibly. In either case it appears he wasn't helped by a roster with a poor attitude. I hope he gets another shot somewhere. He was an excellent assistant coach at the Pacers so he deserves it.

In fairness, there was nothing wrong with their attitude until Shaw came along.
    The same team (minus Iggy) won 57 games just before he took over and many people put that success down to their attitude.

Shaw obviously lost the dressing room. That's on him IMO.
    Unless he learns from this and changes the way he coaches/deals with players, he will never be a head coach. Not sure he'll get the chance after this anyway.
    (Maybe some team intent on tanking might hire him).

He should take an assistant job somewhere and try to repair his reputation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I saw the phrase "relieved him of his coaching duties."

No loss. Seems Shaws public comments about the fear that the team was intentionally tanking might have an element of truth to it. They won past night.

They bound to be raging that they let Karl go.

Wizards 92 - Bulls 97

Good effort from the lads. The offense is a little bit random now, sometimes run through Brooks, sometimes through Noah. But Pau was hitting his outside shots, the team was making some 3s (Snell up to 40% now on the season). I'm not sure it's going to be that consistent, but it worked last night.

Noah had a great game, looks back close to his best, and dominated the classless Nene. Haven't liked him since the playoffs last year, when he was going up against an injured Noah, had one or two good games and started mocking Noah, playing up to the crowd. He got frustrated last night and hit Noah with a blatant flagrant, that had no other intention than to hurt him...

Noah lapped it up, knew he'd got to him. Nene fouled not long after to this great shot, with 'Hit the road, Jack' as the soundtrack.

with 'Hit the road, Jack' as the soundtrack.

ye should make it yere equivalent of chico time

Nene was lucky not to be ejected for that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

D2D wrote: »

How anal does one have to be to get waived by the Sixers?

There was a time , when there was talk of him and his mother getting a reality show. How he was becoming a big star for Denver. Oh how times have changed.

Good enough for him, he played a role in the demise of George Karl (well, play off record )

If he developed a post game he would have been a top 5 centre in the league.

He didn't, and combined with his low basketball IQ has him where he is today.

He will still find a team mind. Athletic bigs are always high in demand.

BQQ wrote: »
    In fairness, there was nothing wrong with their attitude until Shaw came along.
    The same team (minus Iggy) won 57 games just before he took over and many people put that success down to their attitude.

Shaw obviously lost the dressing room. That's on him IMO.
    Unless he learns from this and changes the way he coaches/deals with players, he will never be a head coach. Not sure he'll get the chance after this anyway.
    (Maybe some team intent on tanking might hire him).

He should take an assistant job somewhere and try to repair his reputation.
    Yes Karl did win with that roster - although not in the playoffs and that is why the coaching change was made in the first place. But the roster was a perfect roster for the style that Karl likes his teams to play, it also was perfect for Karl's coaching style. They over achieved big time.

Shaw came in and the reason he was hired was to succeed with a different style and system that would be more successful in the playoffs. The problem is the fans, and front office maybe didn't realise how much they had over achieved. So Shaw tried a different style, different system, different approach that was wrong for the type of players that were on the roster. Then injuries started last year, continued this season. This year they were basically a .500 until just recently when it become obvious Shaw had completely lost the team.

Re. the Nene foul - punk move.

Re. Shaw, I wasn't dissing him btw, just reporting the news. He's very highly respected by certain players (Kobe especially is always talking him up) but he obviously lost the dressing room in Denver.

The Karl firing was stupid (not to mention he was Coach of the Year that year).

If he developed a post game he would have been a top 5 centre in the league.

He didn't, and combined with his low basketball IQ has him where he is today.

He will still find a team mind. Athletic bigs are always high in demand.

Reports are a number of teams want JaVale but talks are Toronto are very interested in taking him (Masai Ujiri gave McGee that $12 mil multi year deal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just back from the warriors v bucks, man things were never cheap but prices have jumped a lot this season, that's why I will only make a handful of games this year.
    Playoffs could put me in ruin...

Warriors won easy enough in the end but relying on jump shooting and curry is going to be tough to win a title.
    I love watching curry shoot live, its just pure class

I love watching curry shoot live, its just pure class

Were you there early enough to see his warm up? Insane. He must take 1,000 shots before the game. I was tired watching him…….

Disagree on the logic that they can't win it all. They're not JUST a jump shooting team. Check some of my other posts on this for the myriad of reasons why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Were you there early enough to see his warm up? Insane. He must take 1,000 shots before the game. I was tired watching him…….

Disagree on the logic that they can't win it all. They're not JUST a jump shooting team. Check some of my other posts on this for the myriad of reasons why.

Yea, I've seen him do the warm ups before, I remember watching some of his rookie games, I couldn't get over his quick release, its crazy he can shoot like that from anywhere.

I am not saying they can't win it all, it will be tough with that style, good playoff teams will have schemes to stop curry and klay, I think this warriors coaching staff is good enough to adapt but I havrnt really seen any plan b.
    Defense will be impressive come playoffs, expect iggy to have some monster defensive games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Holy Christ Westbrook went off on one last night! 49/16/10. His 4th triple double in a row. Is anyone watching the Thunder the last while is he just ball hogging or how is he playing

• Advertisement

going to see the warriors in a couple of weeks for three games(hawks, pelicans and jazz) cant wait

I haven't seen much of the thunder, but how much ball hogging can he be doing with 4 triple doubles in a row, he's obviously sharing the ball to some extent...

watched the blazer-clippers game last night, crazy stuff...blazers went on 12-2 run to finish the 4th with hack-a-Jordan working to perfection... lillard was awful scoring wise, I think he got 1/12 fg, and about 7 pts but something like 17 rebs...

Advertisement