Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

There was some experimentation in the pre season games with reduced minutes down to 44 I think (Boston were involved as I remember) but overall that won't reduce wear and tear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Nah its more that need to be reduced than minutes really

Even
    Other 4 in your division -4 times - 4 * 4 = 16
    Other in same conference twice. 10 * 2 = 20
    then twice against other conference . 15 * 2 = 30

66 games. Even that would be more than enoguh and might mean in some way the West vs East could remain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Paul George back in training. Will this hasten the return of the erstwhile DRD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cavs beat the Warriors last night, 110-99. I haven't seen anywhere near enough of them to judge myself, but does it look like Cleveland have finally gotten it together as their record of late suggests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Paul George back in training. Will this hasten the return of the erstwhile DRD?

Derrick Rose will be back before DRD I'd say

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Unfortunately DRD has been sitebanned permanently for behaviour on other parts of the site. It's a shame as he was a regular contributor here. Anyways, we won't discuss him anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Derrick Rose will be back before DRD I'd say
    Could be around the same time.

PG is due to be game ready by mid-March, and Rose's injury isn't as bad as feared. 4-6 weeks they're saying.

Unfortunately DRD has been sitebanned permanently for behaviour on other parts of the site. It's a shame as he was a regular contributor here. Anyways, we won't discuss him anymore.
    I thought it was temporary? That's a shame.

Anyway, moving on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Derrick Rose expected to return from knee surgery in 4-6 weeks

Good stuff. 6 weeks would be mid-April, just before the playoffs. You'd like to get him back a week or two before to get the rust off.

Was reading a bit about the meniscus tear, and seems it's very common when it's been repaired to tear again (something like a 40% chance). He's had part of it removed, which apparently should not affect performance. I was watching a video of a similar procedure, it's arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery, and they kind of clean up the damaged part, so it looks very minor.

Hopefully his rehab goes well, and he can make a comeback for the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

padraig_f wrote: »
    Derrick Rose expected to return from knee surgery in 4-6 weeks

Good stuff. 6 weeks would be mid-April, just before the playoffs. You'd like to get him back a week or two before to get the rust off.

Was reading a bit about the meniscus tear, and seems it's very common when it's been repaired to tear again (something like a 40% chance). He's had part of it removed, which apparently should not affect performance. I was watching a video of a similar procedure, it's arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery, and they kind of clean up the damaged part, so it looks very minor.

Hopefully his rehab goes well, and he can make a comeback for the playoffs.

It does seem to be relatively straightforward as far as knee procedures go. I think everyone concerned got a fright considering who it happened to and of course Rose's injury history, but I saw K.C. Johnson tweet the below:
    Been told Rose's surgery lasted roughly 10 minutes and that he had no swelling before. Compared to pebble in shoe. Now removed, pain-free.

Probably one of those things where if it's not a player with Rose's injury history that people just think "meh, no big deal really" about but it's only natural for us all to be a bit wary all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Paully D wrote: »
    It does seem to be relatively straightforward as far as knee procedures go. I think everyone concerned got a fright considering who it happened to and of course Rose's injury history, but I saw K.C. Johnson tweet the below:

Probably one of those things where if it's not a player with Rose's injury history that people just think "meh, no big deal really" about but it's only natural for us all to be a bit wary all things considered.

I think if any of the top 10 players got an injury like this ya would be worried for them, knee injuries, however minor they may be, always seem to come back around in the majority of cases, especially in a sport like basketball...

I really hope this is the end his injury run though, it is sickening seeing one of the best players around sitting out seasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ah, I was unaware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Have just seen (I think, unconfirmed) reports on the AP's Twitter account that former Knick Anthony Mason has died. Such a shame, so soon after Jerome Kersey. I remember them both very well. Loved Mason - very much a bada*s but he could ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,337 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Have just seen (I think, unconfirmed) reports on the AP's Twitter account that former Knick Anthony Mason has died. Such a shame, so soon after Jerome Kersey. I remember them both very well. Loved Mason - very much a bada*s but he could ball too.

Saw it aswell the AP are saying the Knicks are saying he's dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

This story on ESPN seems to confirm it... (note, 'seems')
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/12397807/anthony-mason-former-new-york-knick-forward-dies-48

For anyone too young to remember Mason, this YouTube video sums him up perfectly... I loved this NBA era. Blue-collar tough teams were the order of the day... I just don't get the same feel watching the modern, somewhat sanitised NBA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

The Lakers had better well make the playoffs, ruin our chances off getting a star to be a nothing team this year :mad::mad:

Lakers Celtics & Knicks W last night and now a B2B for Knicks.........
    0f55a9a8863dce6738623c95a9999548.png

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Phoenix have 24 pts at the half vs spurs at home, shooting 19%... wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

A new low for the raptors last night:mad:

• Advertisement

Celtics lead golden state by thirteen after one. Four in a row.

Celtics up by 17 with 2:44 left in the half. It's 58-41 celtics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Really fun game between the Cavs and Rockets tonight. LeBron had something going on in his head from the FT line all night. Missed so many including 2 clutch ones with 4 seconds left. Would recommend to watch tomorrow for anyone with league pass or ballstreams.

celtics really are a different team since they got isaiah if they had an inside presence and/or sully still healthy they could really supprise the hawks if they made the playoffs

edit: when they dont stop moving the ball that is

Celtics messing up their plan. Brad Stevens is a hell of a coach.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Celtics messing up their plan. Brad Stevens is a hell of a coach.

good game celtics are unlucky. ya brad is a serious coach celtics fans/ podcasts are all very worried he will leave if the franchise does not start to build soon. the one thing i will say is they have given up a lot of big leads this year (including giving up a 26 point lead today) by stopping moving the ball on offence. but as i said before if they can get someone that can play good interior defence they will be a very difficult team to beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Looks like the Cavs and Rockets will have a pretty good rivalry: cheap shots (check), techs (check), both Harden and LeBron playing at another level (check). Still can't believe LeBron at the line last night. He made 3 of 11... I have no words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Clippers 96 - Bulls 86

Ugly game, Clippers without Blake Griffin, Bulls without Rose, Taj Gibson (rolled ankle previous game), and then lost Jimmy Butler early in the game (hurt his elbow getting hit on a screen). I think the Bulls would've won if Butler had've stayed in because the Clippers weren't great, but his loss was too much.

Another classic Hinbrick performance....25 mins, 0 points, 0-7 FG, 0 assists, 2 turnovers. I sometimes feel bad about criticising him because he was a decent player for the Bulls back in the day, but he's completely finished now. What's driving the fans a bit crazy isn't just that he's washed up, it happens to everyone, but because he 'does things the right way' Thibs insists on playing him 20-25 mins a game.

Anyway, Lebron missing those two free throws at the end of overtime cheered me up.

I don't know how Harden was not ejected for kicking Lebron in the nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

JaVale McGee has been waived by the Sixers:(

Advertisement