Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

There seems to be quiet an amount of U.S. Government aircraft refuelling at Shannon this days. Worrying times?

Why would this be worrying? Is this not good business for shannon and Ireland. providing the stops are not for war use but as a stop over half way between the states and the eastern world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Jhcx wrote: »
    Why would this be worrying?
    Hey Jhcx, don’t you watch the news at all?

I mean despite the on-going diplomatic talks, a full blown Ukraine war remains an imminent threat and nobody knows how that would pan out in a European context i.e. NATO Baltic States, etc. That’s worrying is it not?

A further limited annexation of the Russian speaking parts of the Ukraine would provoke economic sanctions and that would be a setback for Shannon’s aspirations of growing its aviation sector, especially where the Russian MRO company Transaero has plans to expand its business here (see RTE).

Calls for Shannon Group legislation (Irish Examiner)

Renewed calls have been made to Transport Minister Leo Varadkar to move on with promised legislation setting up the new Shannon Group to take control of running the airport and creating an aviation hub there.

The new body will also absorb the functions of Shannon Development, which is being disbanded.

Neil Pakey, Shannon Airport CEO, said all the necessary work to make way for the transition had been carried out over the latter part of last year so they would be fit for purpose once the legislation was passed. This was meant to happen at the beginning of the year.

We are ready. The project director tells me we are 95% transitioned in terms of our readiness. So it is a case of trying to patiently wait for it to come through. We have asked. I think it’s in everybody’s interest that it comes through. I guess it’s the backlog of different types of changes at that level. We are quite optimistic that it is almost ready to be put through.”

Shannon legislation to be approved this month (Irish Business Today)

Clare Senator Tony Mulcahy has received confirmation that the legislation setting up the new Shannon Group to take control of the running Shannon Airport and its surrounding landbank will be published later this month and enacted in June.

The move comes 9 months after the Government approved the drafting of the Shannon Aviation Services and Miscellaneous Provisions Bill 2013, paving the way for the creation of the new Shannon Group entity.

Senator Mulcahy said the legislation will be discussed at Cabinet level during the next week before it is approved. He explained that the legislation, which is expected to be enacted in June, will result in the existing shareholdings held by the Government in both Shannon Development and Shannon Airport Authority being transferred to Shannon Group plc.

Senator Mulcahy added: "By merging an independent Shannon Airport, which has already performed excellently in delivering new services, with the extensive property holdings, experience and expertise of Shannon Development this legislation will allow for the creation of a strong State Company that will work with the IDA and Enterprise Ireland on developing an International Aviation Services Centre (IASC) in the wider Mid West Region."

"The formal establishment of the new entity will allow management to advance the IASC project, which will focus on further developing the existing cluster of aviation related businesses, employing 1,600 people, at Shannon into a globally significant aerospace cluster.
    So Senator Mulcahy promptly answers yesterdays calls by stating that the legislation will be will be discussed at Cabinet level during the next week, published later this month and enacted in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

It has been a busy week at the airport with some recently announced new and old routes being launched.

This week saw the start of Ryanair's nine new routes from Shannon to Munich, Paris, Faro, Warsaw, Krakow, Nice, Poitiers, Berlin and Fuerteventura.

Aer Lingus recommenced their SNN-JFK (New York) service, which will operate six days per week on a year round basis. Aer Lingus also started a SNN-Malaga twice weekly service earlier in the week.

The Aer Lingus Regional (EIR) SNN-Bristol service also kicks off this week. Just spotted also that EIR's SNN-Manchester goes from twice/day to three times and their SNN-Brimingham service is now twice daily.

Good luck to all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

lockman wrote: »
    It has been a busy week at the airport with some recently announced new and old routes being launched.

This week saw the start of Ryanair's nine new routes from Shannon to Munich, Paris, Faro, Warsaw, Krakow, Nice, Poitiers, Berlin and Fuerteventura.

Aer Lingus recommenced their SNN-JFK (New York) service, which will operate six days per week on a year round basis. Aer Lingus also started a SNN-Malaga twice weekly service earlier in the week.

The Aer Lingus Regional (EIR) SNN-Bristol service also kicks off this week. Just spotted also that EIR's SNN-Manchester goes from twice/day to three times and their SNN-Brimingham service is now twice daily.

Good luck to all concerned.

I suppose that's bad news really, there probably won't be any Santa flights this Christmas to make the numbers look like they have grown since last year.;)

• Advertisement

Interesting article in the Irish Examiner regarding the Westpark Campus whose bank (Danske Bank) has pulled out of the Irish market which basically means its loans have to be refinanced with another financial institution.

Curiously enough one of Westpark’s tenants is a company called Pepper Asset Servicing who in turn has the Danske Bank and NAMA as clients.

They have announced an expansion this week.

Could this tenant end up refinancing its landlord?

According to the Examiner
    The Westpark campus was part of a joint venture between semi-state, Shannon Development and Westpark Shannon.

A joint venture was agreed between the two parties on January 2005 for the development of the park in the Shannon Free Zone and a note attached to the accounts states that the joint venture “entitled Shannon Development to a fixed return on specific income accruing from the development from Westpark Shannon”.

The note states that arising from the agreement, “legal action has been undertaken by Shannon Development against Westpark Shannon which will be fully contested”.

To date three of the seven blocks of the Westpark campus have been built and two are shovel ready to start.

The campus houses a number of aviation companies like the giant GECAS and AerCap.

It will be interesting to see how the Shannon Group and Westpark continue their joint venture with the view of growing the International Aviation Services Centre.

10942505655_a67ea4f517_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

For those of you who noticed the ryanair shannon - nantes being replaced, travel choise now do shannon to nantes.
    €199.00 return. A bit expensive, but it includes a bag.

How come I can book a flight back from newyork on october 2nd with delta?
    I thought it ended on sep 30th!

1,000 + seats made available between Shannon and Marseille for Munster match (Shannon Airport)

Shannon Airport is today delighted to confirm that over 1,000 seats have been made available on chartered flights to carry fans to and from Marseille for the eagerly awaited April 27th Heineken Cup semi-final clash with Toulon in the Stade Velodrome.

“There has also been a a spike in bookings in our Ryanair flights to Stanstead to take advantage of their onward connections to Marseille, while our own Ryanair service to Nice, which is less than two hours from Marseille, is also filling up. We would not at all be surprised either if additional charter capacity is announced and will keep fans aware via our website www.shannonairport.ie and our twitter account and Facebook page if there are any developments in that regard.

Munster Fans have some good threads regarding tickets and flights.

Who are the charter airlines?

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Who are the charter airlines?
    It is not mentioned in the article but your travel agent should know.

It is not mentioned in the article but your travel agent should know.

My nearest travel agent is in ennis, which is almost 40 mins away.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    My nearest travel agent is in ennis, which is almost 40 mins away.

Maybe ring or email them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Munster Sports Travel, used to be Gleeson's Travel I think, are who I've used in the past for getting to Munster matches,

http://www.munstersportstravel.com/heineken.htm

Clareman wrote: »
    Munster Sports Travel, used to be Gleeson's Travel I think, are who I've used in the past for getting to Munster matches,

http://www.munstersportstravel.com/heineken.htm
    Strange, Munster Sports Travel has a (061) telephone number but a Dublin address.

Killester Travel, the official travel agent to Munster, is due to announce package deals from Shannon this Thursday. (Limerick Leader)

It seems that Killester Travel and Munster Sports Travel are the same Dublin travel agency.

Could the Munster team not have sourced the travel packages with Munster-based travel agents and support the livelihoods of the people that feeds them? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭zweton

how would i go about booking a reus flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

zweton wrote: »
    how would i go about booking a reus flight?

As they are charters you will be paying around 500 per passenger. Book with Falcon Holidays

Aircraft Training

Recommendation no. 19 from the Task Force Report is to market Shannon as a location for pilot training organisations focussing on innovative (e.g. MPL) and niche approaches to training delivery.

Even though the emphasis is on setting up a Pilot Training School, airlines are using Shannon for their requirements because both the airfield itself and the surrounding airspace are uncongested and thus more easily able to accommodate training activity.

13766330523_f6674bf39b_m.jpg13436340043_bcace8a6f9_m.jpg13414097463_28bd9359eb_m.jpg

13456839063_0b18f60162_c.jpg

Images of aircraft training at Shannon in the last fortnight by Brian Buckley (a French Air Force, a Monarch Airlines, a Private Falcon and two EasyJets).

Could the Munster team not have sourced the travel packages with Munster-based travel agents and support the livelihoods of the people that feeds them? :o

Munster are only part of the IRFU so travel is probably controlled centrally.

Munster will get the best value operator to provide the service needed.

Killester travel probably look after all of the IRFU's international travel arrangements for the provinces and the national teams.

relaxed wrote: »
    Munster are only part of the IRFU so travel is probably controlled centrally.

Munster will get the best value operator to provide the service needed.

Killester travel probably look after all of the IRFU's international travel arrangements for the provinces and the national teams.
    That may be true.

However, if Killester Travel is the official travel agent to Munster then why do they go to such lengths to sell their packages under the banner of Munster Sports Travel? :confused:

There is a blatant whiff of deceit by doing so.

Killester Travel
    169 Howth Road
    Killester
    Dublin 3
    Ireland

Munster Sports Travel
    169a Howth Road
    Killester
    Dublin 3
    Ireland

• Advertisement

Trevor Brennan Rugby Tours are doing a “Day Return Package ex Shannon Airport” with optional extras including a great pre-match lunch with Trevor and Claw! ;)

That may be true.

However, if Killester Travel is the official travel agent to Munster then why do they go to such lengths to sell their packages under the banner of Munster Sports Travel? :confused:

There is a blatant whiff of deceit by doing so.

Killester Travel
    169 Howth Road
    Killester
    Dublin 3
    Ireland

Munster Sports Travel
    169a Howth Road
    Killester
    Dublin 3
    Ireland

I don't think theres any deceit involved.

Munster sports travel were probably taken over by Killester over the years.

A lot of water went under the bridge with Munster rugby trips along the way, including one fan being convicted of fraudulently commandeering planes off airlines, bringing people to games and having no money to pay the bill.:eek:

I don't think theres any deceit involved.

Munster sports travel were probably taken over by Killester over the years.

I would disagree as I think this Dublin company just created these internet trade names like
    • Munster Sports Travel
    • Leinster Sports Travel
    • Connacht Sports Travel
    • Ulster Sports Travel
    • Kerry Sports Travel
    to dupe the loyalty of the sport fan.
    A lot of water went under the bridge with Munster rugby trips along the way, including one fan being convicted of fraudulently commandeering planes off airlines, bringing people to games and having no money to pay the bill.:eek:
    That’s very true, Pamela had a big aviation heart but was hopeless doing sums. ;)

Anyone heading to berlin?

The development of the national road network in recent years has greatly contributed to the ease of road access to Shannon Airport (M18 - M7 - M20) and to the enlargement of its catchment area.

According to the Galway County Council the M17-M18 Gort to Tuam Scheme, states that it is hoped to sign the contract for construction of the motorway in early 2014.

This last missing section of the M18 would connect it with the Galway-Dublin M6.

Anybody got up to date news on this?

13735764934_cbb862ec35_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

There has been a lot of false dawns, latest was that it was due to be signed today

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=1885

Hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later.

@glineli, your link does not seem to be working?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

@glineli, your link does not seem to be working?

Sorry, here is the post in relation to the signing yesterday

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89876640&postcount=1885

• Advertisement

Shannon Airport air traffic down -4.2% for March (IAA)

I wonder was this drop due to the fact that the Easter vacations had started earlier last year in March?

303327.jpg

Advertisement