Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Far Cry 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

mcw92 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people would preorder a game like this?
    It will definitely not sell out.

I picked up the new COD in Argos for €58.99 on release day, they usually have the games 62 or under. You could reserve it the morning of release and pick it up that day or the next. Cheaper than gamestops 69.99 or even 74.99 for alien(seen it today :eek:), Tesco are usually around 69.99 too I think.

Ive preordered one game before, GTA V for the PS3, even if I hadn't preordered it I could have picked it up the morning or release. It had sold out by around lunch in most places I think though.
    But Far Cry 4 will NEVER sell out on release day. Trust me.
    was cod not cheaper in supervalu?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭mcw92

soap1978 wrote: »
    was cod not cheaper in supervalu?

PS4 though? Not sure. Had a voucher anyways so got it for less again. :)

EDIT, indeed it was. But just gives more reason not to pre order though

B1lfy-PCQAAdW2v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Really looking forward to this next week. Will probably get on launch day also as big fan of FC3 (FC2 also was good). Was considering waiting till Xmas but dont think I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Also will keep an eye out for prices for launch day. Doing some shopping later so may check out a few shops and see if any good offer for launch day

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

chris85 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this next week. Will probably get on launch day also as big fan of FC3 (FC2 also was good). Was considering waiting till Xmas but dont think I can.

I waited till Xmas for fc3 and it nearly killed me lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

8 mins of spoilers? No thanks :pac:
    I have this on pre-order, the same pre-order i've been transferring from game to game in Gamestop until i finally found a game i genuinely wanted day 1

if u re order from smiths when will it arrived in the post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

chris85 wrote: »
    Also will keep an eye out for prices for launch day. Doing some shopping later so may check out a few shops and see if any good offer for launch day

54.99 from smyths is as good as it will get from bricks and mortar I think, no way xtra vision and gamestop will come close to it.

calex71 wrote: »
    54.99 from smyths is as good as it will get from bricks and mortar I think, no way xtra vision and gamestop will come close to it.

Argos has had some good prices on new releases lately.

• Advertisement

50 euro in smiths for 360

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Corvo

Really looking forward to this but personally, the environment here does not excite me as much as that in Far Cry 3. Again, that is just personally, just does not look as free as the previous location. The other thing is that it does not seem to have actually changed or introduced anything new other than said location.

Still can't wait for it though.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

soap1978 wrote: »
    50 euro in smiths for 360

Jesus....there is nothing right with that sentence....

GLORIOUS MASTER RACE SIGNING IN.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So Ubisoft, once again, has just released a *VERY* broken new game and you folks who've pre-ordered another Ubisoft game are still looking forward to this? LOL...

Stop rewarding anti-consumer behaviour ffs. What on earth has this company done lately to justify that sort of trust?

I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this game, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon were incredible fun, exactly the sort of game I love, but there is no way in all of heaven or hell that I'm going to give liars like Ubisoft my money until I'm sure I'm going to get a finished product in my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Shiminay wrote: »
    So Ubisoft, once again, has just released a *VERY* broken new game and you folks who've pre-ordered another Ubisoft game are still looking forward to this? LOL...

Stop rewarding anti-consumer behaviour ffs. What on earth has this company done lately to justify that sort of trust?

I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this game, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon were incredible fun, exactly the sort of game I love, but there is no way in all of heaven or hell that I'm going to give liars like Ubisoft my money until I'm sure I'm going to get a finished product in my hands.

That's because you're on PC. Your outlook of the whole industry is completely different...

The console players haven't got a clue what you're talking about because their entire experience is mediocrity. These are the same consumers that buy COD year after year for 100 quid ffs...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

No, no, it's nothing to do with Console/PC here - I've played a big chunk of Ubi games on both my PC and my 360 and up until this year, I'd have said (and have said in the past) that they were one of the few publishers who made the smart decision to delay their games when they weren't finished, but they've clearly seen EA continue to go from strength to strength by taking advantage of the fact that "gamers" are the most mindless, gullible, hype victims who have completely given themselves over to the carrot and stick nonsense of pre-order bonuses so they're obviously saying "fk it, lets roll these rubes, it's too easy." The console versions of Unity are as fked as the PC - it's the entire game, not just a port.

PC heads here to ruin another thread

*unfollows thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Corvo

Dayum wrote: »
    That's because you're on PC. Your outlook of the whole industry is completely different...

The console players haven't got a clue what you're talking about because their entire experience is mediocrity. These are the same consumers that buy COD year after year for 100 quid ffs...

Yes, all the console gamers are zombies who havent a clue.

Jesus christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Corvo wrote: »
    Yes, all the console gamers are zombies who havent a clue.

Jesus christ.

I agree with you but I would reckon that there are a higher percentage of informed PC gamers than console gamers. The barriers to entry in terms of cost and a bit of technical knowledge is lower for consoles.

I bet AC Unity will still sell well, even though most Boards users will probably avoid it. This makes me a bit worried about the future of gaming.

And I say this as a Boards reading, console playing Software Engineer.

I agree with you but I would reckon that there are a higher percentage of informed PC gamers than console gamers. The barriers to entry in terms of cost and a bit of technical knowledge is lower for consoles.

I bet AC Unity will still sell well, even though most Boards users will probably avoid it. This makes me a bit worried about the future of gaming.

And I say this as a Boards reading, console playing Software Engineer.

Get him!!!!! it's his fault games suck these days :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

calex71 wrote: »
    Get him!!!!! it's his fault games suck these days :pac:

Ha! nah, in my new position it'll be my fault that you can't access your bank accounts, use your cards or withdraw cash! ;-)

I'd hate to be working in the games industry though, lots of pressure, little job stability with studios being downsized and shut down all over the place and it's always the dev's that a game is full of bugs when it could have been a publisher or project manager putting pressure on them to get the game out the door regardless of quality.

Boring business software ftw! :-)

Ha! nah, in my new position it'll be my fault that you can't access your bank accounts, use your cards or withdraw cash! ;-)

I'd hate to be working in the games industry though, lots of pressure, little job stability with studios being downsized and shut down all over the place and it's always the dev's that a game is full of bugs when it could have been a publisher or project manager putting pressure on them to get the game out the door regardless of quality.

Boring business software ftw! :-)

I was going to spare you the pitch forks and torches ......... not now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

The best chance of the games industry changing their total greedy ways ,is games that do it right out selling theirs.

if games like the Witcher 3 make hundreds of millions with their free dlc policy it could be a turning point. Even blind Activision ubi soft fan boys might start asking questions.Like ,why do they get a half ass game with its guts ripped out to make dlc.

Also developers who didn't get support for their ideas because they wanted to make something they loved not what a team of marketing executives said was trending..

Step up kingdom come deliverance. If you have not seen look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

No, no, it's nothing to do with Console/PC here - I've played a big chunk of Ubi games on both my PC and my 360 and up until this year, I'd have said (and have said in the past) that they were one of the few publishers who made the smart decision to delay their games when they weren't finished, but they've clearly seen EA continue to go from strength to strength by taking advantage of the fact that "gamers" are the most mindless, gullible, hype victims who have completely given themselves over to the carrot and stick nonsense of pre-order bonuses so they're obviously saying "fk it, lets roll these rubes, it's too easy." The console versions of Unity are as fked as the PC - it's the entire game, not just a port.
    I don't really get the middle part here, Shiminay. Ubisoft delayed Watch_Dogs significantly, despite the game being in development since 2009 and a fairly substantial financial cost. The Crew has also been heavily delayed and I've not really seen anything of it since outside of word of a closed beta which was in less than stellar shape. Unity was also pushed back, just clearly not by enough judging by current reports. I can only assume having two high profile releases in a row miss the holiday season was a little too much for some higher ups hence it getting pushed out in its current state.

As for the negativity with regards Far Cry 4, it's been made by the same team as Far Cry 3 and they've had a two year development cycle to boot. While I'm not saying people should be running out to pre-order it, you can't really blame people for looking forward to it at least.

On a general note, there seems to be a lot of folk ripping on Ubisoft's recent output (again, not that some of it isn't deserved) and how this reflects on the current state of the industry. Yet, we're sitting here in a thread which has been going since last May and has 144 posts. The Unity thread, which is hovering close by on the top page, was created in March and has 194 posts. Meanwhile, the Valiant Hearts and Child of Light threads died rather ungraceful deaths with 5 and 36 posts respectively. The sales figures, I'm rather sure, will be similarly proportioned. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

best thing going for far cry 4 is they are still on the dunia engine which is 10 years old this year and they are releasing on both generations, so it should at most be a polished up far cry 3 visually so nothing that would in theory break the game on launch technical side, and I've had hands on with it at eurogamer (it was awesome!) and it does feel like it's far cry mechanics wise but with a lot of new toys, which I hope means it wont suffer much in the way of bugs either.

Assassin's creed unity uses a heavily modified anvil engine (anvilnext) and was focused on next gen consoles. I get the feeling that both A) they pushed the next gen consoles too far without really adapting the engine to them and B) in an effort to make it work for them they've not done enough testing for all the pc variants (specifically the nividia cards going by the complaints)

But the AC unity fiasco has had me hold making any sort of pre-order, I'd be more curious if there is a review embargo or not?

EDIT:

Just looked around the review embargo for far cry 4 lifts later today so reviews will be circling for a week prior to release.

thats more reassuring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

So Ubisoft, once again, has just released a *VERY* broken new game and you folks who've pre-ordered another Ubisoft game are still looking forward to this? LOL....

It might be the Ubisoft label, but it's different development teams. Ubisoft have dropped the ball as a publisher with several shoddy efforts this year, but that under no circumstances means that any future games should be written off. They're a big company, they have many, many independent teams of people making games. Some have failed this year, others may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Dayum wrote: »

People like you give PC gamers a rotten image. Just so you know many a AAA game most recently Unity get horrible ports to PC. Unity ven with ridicoulsly powerful hardware can't even run at 30 FPS most of the time. It averages about 25FPS on top end PC's. The Xbox One is running it at about 20FPS and the PS4 even though more powerful runs it about 1 FPS lower on average.

The only thing that can be said here is: Ubisoft have let their recent success go straight to their head. They are trying to rush out annual AC's like COD while at the same time release many other AAA games such as Watchdogs, Ryaman, Far Cry 4, The division, The crew amongst others. And they all come with loads of expensive DLC and season passes.

They need to slow the fcuk down, make games properly AKA give them enough develoment time and stop trying to kill franchises that millions of people love. Fcuks sake they even released 2 AC's this year if you count rogue and that will probably be ported to next gen and release next year so that will be 2 next year as well.

EDIT: I've actually pre ordered FC4 but I never played any of the other Far Cry's so even if it's average for series fans I'll most likely really enjoy it anyway.

The best chance of the games industry changing their total greedy ways ,is games that do it right out selling theirs.

if games like the Witcher 3 make hundreds of millions with their free dlc policy it could be a turning point. Even blind Activision ubi soft fan boys might start asking questions.Like ,why do they get a half ass game with its guts ripped out to make dlc.

Also developers who didn't get support for their ideas because they wanted to make something they loved not what a team of marketing executives said was trending..

Step up kingdom come deliverance. If you have not seen look it up.

Some of the most fun and well made games are indie titles that big publishers wouldn't even dream of supporting in their wildest dreams. Their whole vision is an industry where you pay €70 for a game and another €30-40 for a season pass that could consist of as little as 4 DLC's which are just multiplayer maps and could be sold for half the price and still make a heavy profit.

http://www.thegamescabin.com/far-cry-4-review/

OK good news. First review of Far Cry 4 I've seen and it's positive. Not the biggest site in the world but I skimmed through the review (to avoid possible spoilers) and it's a well written 3 page review from what i can see.

Story 7/10
    Gameplay 8.5/10
    Graphics 8.5/10 (They did mention you could tell it was cross gen)
    Sound 9/10
    Replay Value 9/10

Overall 8.4/10

One point I picked up from it is that the series has been lucky enough to avoid the curse of a new game every 12 months and it makes a big difference to the series. Need to see more of this and less of the new game every year crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    People like you give PC gamers a rotten image. Just so you know many a AAA game most recently Unity get horrible ports to PC. Unity ven with ridicoulsly powerful hardware can't even run at 30 FPS most of the time. It averages about 25FPS on top end PC's. The Xbox One is running it at about 20FPS and the PS4 even though more powerful runs it about 1 FPS lower on average.

The only thing that can be said here is: Ubisoft have let their recent success go straight to their head. They are trying to rush out annual AC's like COD while at the same time release many other AAA games such as Watchdogs, Ryaman, Far Cry 4, The division, The crew amongst others. And they all come with loads of expensive DLC and season passes.

They need to slow the fcuk down, make games properly AKA give them enough develoment time and stop trying to kill franchises that millions of people love. Fcuks sake they even released 2 AC's this year if you count rogue and that will probably be ported to next gen and release next year so that will be 2 next year as well.

EDIT: I've actually pre ordered FC4 but I never played any of the other Far Cry's so even if it's average for series fans I'll most likely really enjoy it anyway.

You should play fc 3 if you get the chance fantastic game.

Advertisement