Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda harassment

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

foreign wrote: »
    Nice to see people get so upset at an alleged incident that they set up an anonymous internet account and post only the one post on it. Troll bait in my opinion. Thread should have been locked after the first reply.

And you know this how? standing across the road too?
    or you just moderate forums at will?

When someone posts, surely we can only accept they are looking for advice on the basis that the query is genuine, arent all accounts anonymous? why is this one any more special?
    maybe they did do what you describe? but there isnt anything to suggest its not a genuine query about a genuine incident purely on the basis of a low post count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

pah wrote: »
    S 10 Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997
    Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence.

Harrassment is something that occurs on an ongoing basis.

The statute just gives some examples of harassing behaviour but doesn't confine it to those examples.
    Harassment covers a wide range of behaviours of an offensive nature. It is commonly understood as behaviour intended to disturb or upset, and it is characteristically repetitive. In the legal sense, it is intentional behaviour which is found threatening or disturbing.

It is characteristically repetitive but again, that doesn't confine it to being so.

I don't think the act of explaining yourself before a search constitutes not cooperating. But maybe the manner in which it was said annoyed the Garda and he then set out to make a point of making the situation unpleasant for the OP.

That said, I don't think their's any benefit in the OP making a complaint. Maybe the Garda was just being a dick unnecessarily and in doing so, gives the other 99% of Gardaí who don't act that way a bad reputation, but I don't think it was bad enough behaviour that anything will actually be done about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

foreign wrote: »
    Nice to see people get so upset at an alleged incident that they set up an anonymous internet account and post only the one post on it. Troll bait in my opinion. Thread should have been locked after the first reply.

The same could be said for any poster, no matter when they joined, even if it is a troll, I have recently come across some very unprofessional and totally ignorant guards both in a working and social environment, some (not all) have the demeanour of a pig (pun intended)

The courteous and amiable older guards are getting replaced by a more aggressive and ignorant type of offices that seems to hate the job the public and I would imagine the perceived sh1t wages they have to work for.

Nobody asks anyone to be a cop, if they can't go about their daily work in a professional and courteous manner to the ordinary member of the public going about their daily business, then they would be better off finding a job more suited to their personality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People really do like to over-react on here, don't they?

All we have is a story by an anonymous person. While some people perceive what anyone posts as truth, law looks at it differently. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, including Gardaí. From what the op posted, it's made out that the Gardaí abused their power, assaulted her and had no reason to search her. However, the op has omitted where she was, and this would play a massive part in it. Was it on a main thoroughfare? Was it on the side of a country road? Was it in an estate with known drug use in operation? This is a massive fact which is omitted, and one which could very well lead to the Gardaí believing that something didn't seem right.

Lets look at it from the Garda point of view. Someone is moving something about in the car. By themselves, in what could be considered a dodgy area (nothing to prove otherwise). It's not unknown for drug dealers to leave packages behind certain bushes or in certain places for collection by another person. So, they decided to stop and see what's up. A reasonable explanation in a good manner would probably have sent them on their way, however i've the feeling the op took immediate offence to being questioned, and this would only further rouse suspicions. So, they decided to enact a legal search under the Drugs Act, a search which the op again appears to have taken offence to, and did not co-operate. A search back at the station would be the logical step for someone who is not co-operating, as it's a possibility that they may have something on them. While searching, items ended up on the ground, or sounds like they were already on the ground (no indication from the op that the Gardaí put them there). When she attempted to pick them up, the Gardaí could rightly have probability that she is attempting to hide something, or do something. She states she was pushed back, but this wouldn't be unheard of with someone trying to interfere with a search. Nothing was found, they went on their way. End of.

Gardaí know how to read body language, and it appears (to me) that the op started off on the wrong foot, and gave the Gardaí reason to be suspicious. However, if i'm completely wrong, and the Gardaí did indeed go on a power trip, then by all means make the complaint, either locally or to GSOC. Without further information from the op (which i'm guessing we're not going to get), there is nothing wrong here. Surely someone who has been legitimately aggrieved would be on here replying to every single post which points out that she may have been in the wrong. Again, there is not enough detail to make a proper conclusion on this, and i'll err on the side of caution and say that the op was not what she claims, and the Gardaí didn't do anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

Having read the OP again it's just a 5 line statement. No questions, no advice requested etc. Smells like BS to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Having read the OP again it's just a 5 line statement. No questions, no advice requested etc. Smells like BS to me
    i agree, op made a trolling statement and stood back to watch the puppets dance, and boy did they.

Good detective skills their officer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

Why would any male Police Officer search a female member of the public in a public place? Assuming there was no immediate risk to life or property.

Why would any male Police Officer search a female member of the public in a public place? Assuming there was no immediate risk to life or property.

Where in any part of the op does it say the op is a female

• Advertisement

whupdedo wrote: »
    Where in any part of the op does it say the op is a female

Going off the information that the user name is Eirca.

How sexist of me.

How sexist of me.

It's a username, it might be eric, who knows? The op seems to have gone under ground anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

How sexist of me.

That's sexual harassment!!

We should start a new thread ......

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    That's sexual harassment!!

We should start a new thread ......

Are you willing to make a complaint? I'll file under "bin"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I love a good Troll thread.

Nice to see most people being argumentative for the sake of it and having no constructive input all the same!

Too many holes in the initial post for it to be anything other than a load of muck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Erica246 wrote: »
    This morning 2 gardai passed by in their van and saw me busy putting some things from the front seat to the back. They stopped the van and asked what I was doing there. They demanded to see my drivers license. Then they demanded to search me under some act for drugs. They had no suspicion of any drugs. I pointed out to them that my eyes are normal and I do not use anything of any kind. They were not deterred and told me that they would strip search me in the garda station if I would not co-operate to the search on the spot, and this would take longer. They stood on my clean clothes and when I tried to pick the clothes off the dirty side of the road he pushed me hard in the chest so I was hurled back up. I got my everything back dirty and have his foot print on my sock. I am very distressed by their actions.

Hi Erica

If you wish to make a complaint against members of the Gardai go here

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement