Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NRA pulling funding for Sarsfield/Bandon RD roundabouts in Cork?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The N69 wouldn't be so busy if IE hadn't failed to reopen the Foynes line after the road works, and told SFPC they could pay if they wanted it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

dowlingm wrote:
    Midleton reopening has been 20 years in the making since the CASP/LUTS process started, including six since the Arup report. Limerick should get improved service no doubt but Midleton has been very patient and doesn't deserve the swipe you took at it.

I have been delayed in traffic for 30mins-1 hour on all the projects you mentioned for Cork except Mallow-Cork (the road with a bend for every day of the year with a consequent safety record). My family comes from an area between Mitchelstown and Fermoy so I am only too familiar with its congestion, especially Fermoy where all traffic from the N8 and N72 goes over one 2+1 (barely) bridge.

As for Limerick - what about the Ring Road, Patrickswell bypass, Croom bypass? Don't know Galway as well but I don't think the approach road from Dublin-Galway is much if any newer than Cork-Mallow.

Midleton only has a population of less than 10,000 which is tiny in comparison to much more badly needed projects in other parts of Ireland. For example they are still trying to shoot down the idea of a Metro to Swords despite the fact that it has nearly 4 times the population of Midleton and is still growing, and much more choked with traffic. Likewise the congestion around some parts of Limerick are horrific.

Cork in comparison not only has reasonable roads, they are far less congested than similar areas elsewhere, and more importantly, they are not yet toll roads. I think Cork has had a very good deal where transport is concerned. Much of the problem in Cork with the likes of the Kinsale roundabout and other roads is that they were extremely badly planned in the first place, and not that old either. They are trying to fix roads that shouldn't have been planned that way. Its rather like the lessons learned by the whole M1/Coachman's Inn debacle in Dublin, though it took years.

For the record, I'm not biased against Cork, I've lived in Midleton for 2 years and 2 prior to that in the city, though I'm from North co Dublin. Just realise that Cork hasn't done that badly and much of the work is in fixing relatively new roads that were badly planned in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

mysterious wrote:
    It's a matter opinon since you said that All the National routes are doing fineconverging the city that are not properly interchanged at the unfinished Southering ring.
    Cork and Waterford traffic have to enter the city to enroute to let's say N18 Shannon and Galway.

It's at a stage now where all the three bridges are congested at rush hour, it's crazy. You tell me it's able to handle the traffic, le't not make it personal to Limerick, but It's choking the city as it is.

The city centre remodiling cannot go ahead until this heavy traffic is removed.

Finally the N69 is a scenic route of course, but it's also connected to Foynes Port, which is booming, I know it looks like a heap of sheds:D But still. There is a large amount of H.G.V that could be taken off the streets off the city, don't you think. I'm just amazed as how the reaction that Sure Limerick is doing ok:confused: maybe 10 years time when they get NRA asses in gear.

N24 -> N7 -> N20 -> N18/Raheen Industrial Est link road.

Surely any truck heading from Dublin direction to Foynes direction would head Ring Road onto the N18 link road and join N69 at the cement factory. If they don't, well it's Limerick City Councils fault for not setting restrictions, from clancy's strand area to the bridge at the Jury's, not sure of the name, and the city center area, no access to HGV's over 5 ton. Then, all heavy trucks would have to cross that bridge to access the the N18. Would clear the city center of trucks, and would force the truckers to consider their routes.

I can't understand, why a tunnel under the shannon was route chosen rather than a connection the N7 end of the ring road over the river south of Parteen and on to the N18 dc. Would have opened up a nice section of land for Dev, industrial, retail and housing, instead they've decided to go across through that big dairy farm, under the river and the newly laid drainage/sewage pipes, and cut through more green land on the other side, all that does is increase the traffic to the Crescent SC.

Unless restrictions on HGV's are brought in after the Tunnel opens, most trucks will still travell via the city, as it'll be shorter, and just as fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Bogger77
    all that does is increase the traffic to the Crescent SC
    Are you sure you haven't answered your own question there?

shoegirl

the thing with Midleton (and Carrigtwohill) is that Cork County Council have zoned both places for growth with the railway station as an integral part of that zoning - Midleton has predicted growth of 162pc by 2020 (Faber-Maunsell Report 2002). There will be park and ride traffic (how much it's hard to know yet) from Youghal/Killeagh/Mogeely-Castlemartyr/Garryvoe. The NRA traffic counts (available on their website although the urls are screwed up and you have replace \ with /) show a heck of a lot of traffic passing Carrigtwohill on the N25.

There's more and more housing being constructed in Killeagh and Castlemartyr. The economics of it are doable because half the length to Cork is already in service as the Cobh line. It also ties into increased service to Mallow. There are also two published public reports on the line (Faber-Maunsell and Ove Arup) so the rationale for doing it is out in the open, and it's not being done all the way to Youghal which would kill the business case dead at this point - but maybe in 10-20 years...

Metro and Midleton also don't compare as Midleton is going to be service every 30 minutes with 2 car trains. Metro is going to have service at least six times more often if not more.

I think Metro should not only go to Swords/Lissenhall P&R but all the way to the Belfast line beyond Lissenhall above ground to facilitate people from Dublin Airport heading to Louth or NI. The difference is that with tunnelling, new vehicles (they won't be using DART carriages) and electrification Metro will take a bit more work and a lot more money (including time commissioning the system) than refurbishing bridges and stations as the Midleton project will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

Bogger77 wrote:

as for the roundabouts, only the one on the N7 at Annacothy (?) cause any sort of major hold up, and I'm presumming that it'll be replaced when the DC from Nenagh is finished. the N20 meets N7 roundabout is Limerick CC's fault, I've been told as they wish to add a 4th road to that junction.

I travel the P'laiose to Cork via Fermoy and P'loise to Cork via Limerick routes twice a week, I'm well used to the hold ups on those routes.

One of Limericks reasons for continuing traffic via city center or close to it, is the old relief road/childers road from Parkway to Roxboro and onto the N21, unless there's heavy traffic, ie rush hour or Saturday shopping madness, it's usually as quick to head that route than the loop of the ring road.

Not sure what you mean by a "4th road" but what is supposed to be happening is that once phase 2 of the ring road is completed N20/21 access to the childers will be permanently extinguished, however childers road traffic will still be allowed access to the N20/N7.

I was dissapointed that the Rossbrien interchange wasnt built as part of phase 1 of the ring road, phase 2 is a much more complicated project due to the terrain and the tunnel itself, i thought it would have made much more sense to have included it in phase 1!, i suppose at least we should be thankful that its going to be a free flow junction and not a roundabout interchange as originally planned!:eek:

BTW anyone know when its supposed to start construction, i think they were talking about september!, anyone hear differently?

Advertisement