Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia officially dead!

Options
  • 23-10-2014 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭

Not exactly big news as they've been effectively dead for quite a while. Anyway MS have pulled the plug :eek:

Lets all reminisce about our old nokia phones - i must admit to never owning one (even though I worked in the business for over 7 years!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Amazing how they just went from been the best phones around to the least favoured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

3210, did the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Ohh man this is is sad. 3210 was my first mobile phone followed by the 3200 as my first camera phone and the n95 as my first really expensive phone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

What a shame,its amazing when you take a look at the power of branding. The best quality handset manufacturer being put out of business by inferior products hardware wise.

However,this might be a move on behalf of Microsoft entering the phone market directly considering they practically bought Nokia out.

Id expect a few Microsoft phone concept models appearing soon to make windows phone a strong contender with the release of 10. So maybe its nothing more than a rebrand under the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I worked for Microsoft in the app business for a while and it was obvious that they'd made the wrong choice. They bought a dying phone company cheap and thought they got a bargain, while everyone knew they were being idiots.

• Advertisement

I worked for Microsoft in the app business for a while and it was obvious that they'd made the wrong choice. They bought a dying phone company cheap and thought they got a bargain, while everyone knew they were being idiots.

Well they own all the infrastructure now, the debts effectively die with Nokia. So it could be argued that from the launch the buying of Nokia was an intention to fail the business before the implementation of Microsoft phones directly onto the market with a brand spanking new OS.

Liquidate the assets and buy back at a discount.

The Nokia deal was never going to be a long term investment although I must day Nokia have produced some cracking phones over the last few years.The 1320 and 1020 in particular are two that spring to mind, with the 1020 being pretty much a conceptual device.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Stark lessons for any business here, you need the continuously innovate, adapt and change with the times. The N95 was a huge seller for them, but it was all downhill from there.

I think the Symbian OS really killed them. They should have a developed an alternative for smart phones, which I think they tried to do with Meego (or whatever it was called) but it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What a shame,its amazing when you take a look at the power of branding. The best quality handset manufacturer being put out of business by inferior products hardware wise.

The power of branding indeed - I never got the Nokia were "the best quality handset manufacturer" thing that some people constantly referred to. Like I said, in over 7 years (from part-time to management - how sad!) dealing with handsets on a daily basis, I never thought to buy a nokia myself (i was given a couple but they didn't last long) and I never saw this supposed better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I think the bigger picture is that Microsoft are screwed...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Its startling to see what was once an amazingly powerful brand bite the dust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

it was always microsofts intention to kill the nokia brand and now they are just Windows branded, no change to anything else other than the brand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sad demise, they stuck with Symbian too long. It was fantastic for its time, but they were too slow to change. Their hardware was awesome, I remember the first phone they released with snake, 6XXX can't remember the full number, it had that beautiful case that changed colour in the sunlight. That was the first Nokia I had and stuck with them until the smartphone era started.

theteal wrote: »
    The power of branding indeed - I never got the Nokia were "the best quality handset manufacturer" thing that some people constantly referred to. Like I said, in over 7 years (from part-time to management - how sad!) dealing with handsets on a daily basis, I never thought to buy a nokia myself (i was given a couple but they didn't last long) and I never saw this supposed better quality.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

How exactly are Microsoft screwed?
    Allyall wrote: »
    I think the bigger picture is that Microsoft are screwed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

http://blogs.imediaconnection.com/blog/2014/03/25/the-decline-of-microsoft-is-there-hope/

In general they are in trouble.
    Windows 8 was a flop
    Windows phone is flopping
    Xbox One sales are slow

But they'll pull through Id imagine

Surface not selling anywhere near as well as they expected..
    Price cut on the Xbox 3 times, (Possibly 4?), and it's still not doing great.
    Sales on Laptops/PC's are down massively in the last couple of years, and that is where microsoft made most of their money in the last 20 or 30. Instead of giving the consumer a reason to buy PC's over tablets, or a reason to buy a laptop/PC full stop, they created a reason not to buy them, by making them more complex to the average user.
    Windows 8 flopped, and rushing out windows 8.1 didn't help.

Ballmer stepping down because he couldn't move fast enough to apply all the changes that were needed quickly, to help Microsoft.

Financially, they may be okay, but unless they can turn things around quickly, they are going to lose quite a big chunk of that and it probably won't take as long as it did to make it.
    In that sense, they are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

In that sense, they are screwed.

What about revenue from Office? Developer tools? Server OS? Azure? While the consumer facing aspect of Microsoft isn't doing too well, they are still cleaning up in the corporate world.

Back on topic, it is sad to see Nokia go, but that's what happens in the IT/telecomms market if you rest on your laurels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Went through several Nokia, right up to he N97 Mini. It was an OK phone, all it really needed was a capacitive screen. You could see the apps availability dropping off a cliff though as Android took off.
    WP too expensive for me as I can get PAYG Androids that do everything I need and more for €100ish. Too locked up for my liking too, same as iOS.
    Microsoft dying? More day/wet dreaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    WP too expensive for me as I can get PAYG Androids that do everything I need and more for €100ish. Too locked up for my liking too, same as iOS.
    Microsoft dying? More day/wet dreaming!

Erm you can get wp for €100ish will perform better than its android competitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

When Nokia pulled out of meego and stuck with symbian it was the start of the end. If they had of put android on their mobiles they would have sold a lot more.
    But what would I know I'm only an ex customer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What happens to the Nokia patent war chest, I wonder? They have a huge trove of patents for the nitty gritty side of phones.. Antennas, radio tech, cell tower, etc..

If you own a phone, part of the price goes to, 'Nokia'.

I bought my first Nokia, a 3210, on Christmas Eve, 1999, Totterdell's, Dun Laoghaire.. They had closed and were counting the takings.. I hummed and hawed and settled on an Eircell pack. Between £140 and £180, I don't remember. Still using the same number.

Great feel to the 3210, in the hand, some heft to it, thanks to the battery. Great ergonomics and design. Bad antenna. (powder coated plastic back plate)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Nokia is not dead,wait till tomorrow folks,big suprise coming.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Nokia is not dead,wait till tomorrow folks,big suprise coming.

That's the new line of Microsoft phones? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I bought a 625 for my wife a few months ago when on sale in CPW for Christmas. What do I do with it now?

The anguish of having an obsolete phone.. Woe is me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

I bought a 625 for my wife a few months ago when on sale in CPW for Christmas. What do I do with it now?

The anguish of having an obsolete phone.. Woe is me :D

What are you talking about? The phone isnt obsolete they haven't discontinued windows phone, in fact all that's going to happen is the nokia logo will disappear off the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

'Nokia' Stupid ageing Name but by far the best handset's.. Lumia beats all mobile phones hands down.
    It seems to be just a branding issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

SeaDaily wrote: »
    What are you talking about? The phone isnt obsolete they haven't discontinued windows phone, in fact all that's going to happen is the nokia logo will disappear off the phones.

Hence the irony of my post and the smiley.

But thanks for your concern :)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Hence the irony of my post and the smiley.

But thanks for your concern :)

Still don't get the point of your post, was it meant to be funny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

That's the new line of Microsoft phones? :pac:

100% No. You will be very suprised.:D

Advertisement