Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

51st ISSF World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IRLConor wrote: »
    Besides, from a physiological point of view, the difference due to stress isn't as big as it appears. Try wearing a heart rate monitor during a match and subsequent final and you'll see. :)
    I've done that (seriously, there's not much Matt didn't try. I'm constantly glad that core temperature isn't a big factor in our shooting...). And I got asked "what's that weird thing" by another shooter completely without irony while he was rigged out in spandex and canvas and leather... :D
    Thing is, when I started shooting it was considered very impolite to make noise during the shooting section of the finals, even to applaud a 10.9 early. People were looked at and tut-tutted :D And that's just not going away. It's not so much stress as it is annoyance caused by believing that the cheering people are a bunch of nekulturny yobs that the RO should be shushing. It's sortof like a librarian's version of Get Off My Lawn...
    I don't understand your comment about the comparability of finals from year to year. (Also, given the number of outdoor finals ranges it's a foolish thing to do for the 50m disciplines.)
    Yeah, the outdoor events rather mess it up (hard to compare your shoot in DRC last tuesday to the Milan World Cup when they had a lightning strike on the range for example) but for the indoor events, I used to be able to look at a match result from UCD and get a good idea of where it'd place me in an international match - you can still do that for the qualification rounds, but when you get into the finals it's a lot more random. If I shoot a 102.9 in a training finals in the old system, I know what that means in relation to the international circuit and how far off I am from where I need to be. Today, that's just not possible because the finals have gone from being a shoulder-to-shoulder test like the qualifications still are, where your final score is entirely down to your efforts; to being a head-to-head event where your final rank is all that counts and it's determined by other people's performance versus yours for a specific shot. That's a massive shift in the ethos of the event. And I don't like it. And yes, Get Off My Lawn, but I'm still gonna complain because that was something I really loved about our sport - it hadn't changed the fundamental non-confrontational nature of the match. We all stood there, we all shot the same course of fire, your final score was entirely in your own hands, the fight was entirely with yourself and yeah we looked at rankings to give out the medals but the "how good am I?" question wasn't anything to do with those medals and you had a good solid metric for that question if you wanted to see how you were doing against, say, Sidi. You don't have that in the finals anymore (you still do for qualifications and to be honest, they're the thing I look at most these days, I tend to ignore the finals when wondering who's the best shooter on the range).
    The best shooter does win.
    Not always, because...
    In general, the reset to zero doesn't matter. Either you're much better than your competitors and hence will beat them anyway or you're about the same as your competitors and hence a lead would be so small that it wouldn't help.
    ...in an international match, that's often the case but not always. We've seen 10m finals where shooters like Gonci were going into the finals having qualified in second or third place with a good lead on (say) 8th place; but because he had one or two bad shots in the beginning he got eliminated and then we saw the other shooters have bad shots afterwards but not get eliminated because of the timing of those shots. If they'd shot those bad shots when Gonci shot his bad shots, then they'd be eliminated and he wouldn't be (I'm using Gonci as an example, but it's happened to others too).

In the old format, if everyone had a bad, it didn't matter to the final rankings because everyone had the same number of shots and you had a statistically better idea of who was shooting better by the end of it. Now, not all shooters have the same number of shots and if every finalist has one bad shot, then their rank is going to be heavily dependent on when that bad shot happens. (And when you remember that "bad shot" can just mean a 10.1 instead of a 10.9, well, now you can be sure everyone's going to shoot at least one bad shot). And it's entirely possible to eliminate shooter A for one bad shot while shooter B goes on to have two worse shots and still rank higher, which wouldn't have happened in the old system. We saw that yesterday in fact; Louginets' last two shots earned him a silver medal, but they were worse shots than any of Bubnovich's bad shots; but because of the elimination, we only know that Louginets was ahead of Bubnovich when Bubnovich was eliminated; if they'd shot the traditional ten-shot finals, given the performances they showed in the finals, I'd lay even odds on Bubnovich taking home the silver medal and Louginets taking bronze.

And that's just the international circuit don't forget, where the standard is very high compared to the domestic circuit; on the domestic circuit this is all amplified, to the point where we've seen some truly silly results before that just would never have happened in the old system.

It just feels like the format of the finals is putting spectator excitement above getting the most accurate determination of skill.

But in far more interesting news, Jin Jongoh just shot 583 in Mens 50m Pistol in the qualification round and broke a 34-year-old record in the process, and landed 17 points ahead of second place in the qualification round. That's an insane lead! Seriously, look at that scoresheet, the lowest score in the finals qualifies on 563, then two 564s, three 565s and a single 566, then in comes Jin with 583!

(the finals are now running for that match btw: http://bit.ly/issflive )

First series starting in 50m Mens Pistol now...

And Jin's into 4th place there now. Rai from India is in first.

Live results being updated here by the way.

Second series finished, Jin's moved to 2nd place, Pang has taken first...

• Advertisement

The crowd's being almost silent today compared to yesterday's finals I'm noticing...

And Kim goes out on the first elimination. Pang's in 1st, Jin's hanging on to 2nd place, Rai in 3rd.

And Choi goes out on this elimination. Hoang pushes Rai out to fourth place, Jin keeps 2nd and Pang 1st.

Matsura goes out on this elimination, his 10.6 just 0.1 too low to beat Korostylov's 7.7...

Interesting age range here btw, Jin's in his mid-30s while Korostylov's 16...

Pang's still in the lead chased by Jin, Rai's just ahead of Hoang and Korostylov's trailing...

• Advertisement

Korostylov goes out on this elimination on a 10.1.
    Rai's 2 points ahead of Hoang going into this series before the next elimination.

And Hoang goes out on this elimination. Bronze medal now being fought between Rai and Pang (who's 0.6 ahead). Jin has moved up to the lead. And now the crowd's starting up...

0.2 between Pang and Rai now.

And Rai takes it by 0.1 points, so Pang gets Bronze and a quota place. And now it's down to Jin and Rai, with 2.1 between them.

Last shot...

And Jin takes Gold and a quota place and Rai takes Silver and a quota place.

Nice performance, but I can't believe Jin wasn't in first place from start to finish given that qualification round gap. Break a 34 year old record (which is nearly as old as he is), finish qualifying 17 points clear of your nearest competitor, and then that whole lead just forgotten about! :mad:

The Irish shotgun shooters seem to be having a very solid day out there as well; Colin Tanner's on 97/100 while Philip Murphy and Derek Burnett are on 95/100 each, with 25 clays left to go each. The top eight in the field are all on 99/100 or 100/100 though, so a finals place may not be on the cards. Colin might place in the top 30 though, and the team was in 11th place before today's rounds started, so there might be something there.

And stealing the show, Ian O'Sullivan is currently in 8th place in the Junior Trap event, which is stonkingly good...

Didn't have time to post much about it (why is work scheduled on top of these things? Sheesh...), but the Women's 10m Air Rifle final was stonkingly good - gold taken from Yi at the last shot by Zublasing with a 0.3 margin. Brilliant shooting. Pfeilschifter took bronze, to add to her literal sack of medals (seriously, the woman could probably wallpaper her house with them at this point).

The videos of the events are starting to show up on the ISSF youtube channel (love that idea, best thing yet from them). Here's yesterdays 10m Mens Air Rifle Finals:

And today's 50m Mens Pistol Finals:

And today's 10m Women's Air Rifle:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Irelands Ian O'Sullivan has made the final of the Junior Trap event after a 4 way shoot-off for the last 2 places in the 6 man final. Still a way to go, the new final format is torture: 15 targets to see will shoot for medals, then another 15 targets for the top 4. Final should take place around 4:15pm Irish time.

IRLConor didn't make it out of the elimination round today, which sucks.

https://twitter.com/ISSF_Shooting/status/509726119168593920
    O Sullivan (IRL) and Wallace (AUS) still hold a perfect score: 10 hits after 10 targets at Junior Men Trap semifinal

321682.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Ian in shoot-off for Gold Medal, the worst he can do is a Silver!!!:):):):):)

https://twitter.com/ISSF_Shooting/status/509727365959012352
    O Sullivan (IRL) and Wallace (AUS) take over Junior Men's Trap semifinal, they score 13 hits to enter gold medal match

Gold or silver for Ireland! Huzzah!

They're in the bronze medal shoot-off there now...

Hales takes the bronze in the junior trap, next up is Ian O'Sullivan versus Wallace for the gold!

Gold medal shootoff now underway...

• Advertisement

3-2 to Ian, 12 shots to go.

Advertisement