Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Xenophon interesting anabasis through old Galway. thanks to all the posters brought back memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

ErnieBert wrote: »

Excellent link - turn off the sound, though. Some comforting things to note:

From Mainguard St.

Annie Lee's and the place next door are still pubs.
    As is where tigh coili is now.

From Shop St.

Griffins and Taafees are still there - God bless 'em
    The Chemist is still a chemist
    O'Gormans bookshop is still a bookshop (Easons)

From Williamsgate St.

Moon's is still a department store (BT)

From William St.

Hollands is still there.

I had forgotten that you could drive up Shop St. as well as down it. Why do I seem to remember it as one-way? (Maybe I'm just wrong)

I'm wondering if that video is indeed 1965. I'm wondering if it was taken around the time of the JFK visit (1963), since there are a lot of American flags about. Some classic cars there too - interesting to see how many are British cars - as opposed to now. I'm also surprised to see how many people are about, and how well-dressed they all seem.

Also interesting to see no cars parked on prospect hill/bohermore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

serfboard wrote: »
    Excellent link - turn off the sound, though. Some comforting things to note:

From Mainguard St.

Annie Lee's and the place next door are still pubs.
    As is where tigh coili is now.

From Shop St.

Griffins and Taafees are still there - God bless 'em
    The Chemist is still a chemist
    O'Gormans bookshop is still a bookshop (Easons)

From Williamsgate St.

Moon's is still a department store (BT)

From William St.

Hollands is still there.

I had forgotten that you could drive up Shop St. as well as down it. Why do I seem to remember it as one-way? (Maybe I'm just wrong)

I'm wondering if that video is indeed 1965. I'm wondering if it was taken around the time of the JFK visit (1963), since there are a lot of American flags about. Some classic cars there too - interesting to see how many are British cars - as opposed to now. I'm also surprised to see how many people are about, and how well-dressed they all seem.

Also interesting to see no cars parked on prospect hill/bohermore.

it was taken for the opening of the Cathedral. US flags in honour of the Cardinal Archbishops of NY & Boston....hence Vatican flags in honour of the Papal Legate....

Another interesting find on YouTube:

Galway in 1981.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7NjvE0XEio&feature=fvw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Dunno if this was posted already:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Dunno if this was posted already:

Nice find...

Man I feel Oooold, nice find, must have been paddy's weekend, judging by all of the flags...Or the big town religious procession, they knew how to make us kids suffer back then...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doubt.It

inisboffin wrote: »
    Indeed. Hidden Galway was such a treasure! Buy that man a pint if you see him in Neachtains (he's usually on his jungle-proof laptop) :)

****. That might explain my mystery pint-buyer last night... Thank you.

Oh yeah, I need to clarify this. Sergei and Richard are different people. Richard was born in London but raised in Galway since childhood. Sergei was probably born in Siberia, but doesn't remember much before being a five-year-old on a Norwegian whaler for no discernible reason. He has lived in Galway only since the age of twenty-two, and still has a hint of a Russian accent.

Richard is still being extremely opinionated in the City Tribune. And is glad to be, as they just let go a lot of freelancers there. He feels it was mostly luck that saved him.

Sergei is working on some new stuff, which he says will be able to harm politicians from a distance - even in their sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Puddin Dote

Hi All,

This is my first visit to this site. A friend of mine asked me to check it out. I cannot believe the amount of memories of my childhood and formative teenage years have come flooding back. I look at interest at the lists of Niteclubs from the 70's and 80's. What about Fagans at the Great Southern Hotel. I see someone mentioned "The Bentley/Mistys Niteclub that opened in 1986. Soon after The Lions Tower opened "Kno Knos" and in 1988 "CP" opened its doors. This really took a lot of the crowds away from Salthill although the likes of "The Oasis" and "CJs" still held their own. A sign of the times is that in the early days of the Niteclubs in town, the DJs had to wear a Dickie Bow or Shirt and Tie. I, like a lot of teenagers in the early 1980's did my best to get in under age to "Rumours" (Keith Finnegan of GBFM) was DJ or the "Oz" (Northern Guy called Carl was DJ). What was the Spinnaker called in the early 80's ? I remember being there for many 21st Birthdays. I recall the two guys that did the music at Savoy Skating Plus (Aidan Flynn and Gerry Traynor) had a joint 21st there in 1982/83 ???

Looking forward to reading more posts !!

P.S. Many a girl was chatted up after school in Busy Bees (Lydons). Anybody remember Barbara that worked in the Coffee Shop. She kept barring everyone every week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

the donkey at blackrock and mrs murphy who lived there until bout 8 yrs ago,the go-cart track in salthill,strawberry fields-apple drops,the 4 wheeled bikes in salthill,must have been savage craic in 70-80s,born 83 so didnt have much craic in salthill.missed out on a lot.13 niteclubs and bout 25 pubs so im told.great thread.any legendary characters of previous times,i.e regulars at niteclubs,bouncers,staff,publicans etc.many good stories im sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Anyone remember Gaby, the bouncer in the Warwick? Could he still be there? Rumour (without any foundation that I ever heard), was that he'd killed a man somewhere, sometime. Noone messed with Gaby!

Hi All,

This is my first visit to this site. What about Fagans at the Great Southern Hotel.
    Welcome - they have gone back to that name haven't they?

I didn't realise it was a retro thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

churchview wrote: »
    Anyone remember Gaby, the bouncer in the Warwick? Could he still be there? Rumour (without any foundation that I ever heard), was that he'd killed a man somewhere, sometime. Noone messed with Gaby!
    he is always around the bal doing odd jobs etc,heard from many people it was in spain that the rumoured event occured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tribune is 25 this month and has some snippets on how life was 25 years ago..Some things never change - the bridge, moinín roundabout, the economy, council being broke..
    In 1984, there was opposition to the new £7 million bridge over the Corrib (the Quincentenary Bridge), while Galway Chamber of Commerce slammed the Corporation for failing to provide a roundabout at Moneenageisha junction, four years after it was approved! There was no money in the city’s coffers.
    Among the other interesting snippets making the news in the paper’s maiden year were:
    • Our high-profile exclusive that Guinness smashed a major fraud which affected city pubs – delivery men were refilling kegs with slops and selling them to unsuspecting publicans. Following an abnormal amount of complaints from tipplers in the West, Guinness hired a private detective to follow deliveries around Galway. Delivery men and publicans were involved in the scam, and charges were later brought against three people.
    • We uncovered the vice-like grip which illegal moneylenders had on hundreds of families by preying on areas like Ballinfoile, Castle Park and Rahoon – our in-depth investigation later formed the basis for an RTE Today Tonight special.
    • The city’s first roundabout at Corrib Park, which was unfinished, almost turned into a death trap when the absence of road markings led motorists to drive around it the wrong way.
    • The Revenue Commissioners warned DIY drinkers in Galway that they were liable to pay 36p a pint and could be fined up to £500 for making home brew without a licence, even if they were drinking it at home.
    • A group of experts at UCG warned that the Corporation’s plans to dispose of city sewage at South Park would result in pollution at the beaches in Salthill and Ballyloughane.
    • On the jobs front, American clothing company Farah in Shantalla (now Aldi and the West City Centre Retail Park) announced the expansion of its operations, with the creation of 67 new jobs, bringing the workforce to 242 over three years.
    • Jobs were seriously under threat at CIE when a pay row escalated to a four-week strike and 100 workers were laid off. Bus workers were joined by rail colleagues in a strike against shorter hours and the abolition of overtime following a revised passenger service. 102 workers would be left on £114 per week. During the strike, some workers’ families had to survive on £20 per week.
    • Many households had a computer, and the City Tribune carried a weekly computer column on how to write your own computer programs. (10 REM. 20 PRINT “MY NAME IS ...”. 30 GOTO 20. 40 END.) A Commodore 64 computer (with 64k of memory) with a joystick and four games cost £330.
    • Salthill was a completely different ‘village’ to that which exists today. With more than a dozen discos running a thriving business in the resort, the city area hadn’t even registered in terms of nightlife.
    • A £600,000 CAT scan machine, which was hailed as a miracle because it helped early diagnosis of cancer and haemorrhages, lay idle for a second year at Galway Regional Hospital, because funds weren’t available to man it.
    • Bungling thieves at a school in Renmore were stopped in their tracks – by a group of nine year olds. Twice! The fearless kids at Scoil Chaitriona returned to class to find a pair of thieves stealing money collected for Ethiopian famine victims and a tape recorder. They gave chase, and the two thieves made off, dropping the money near the school wall. However, one pupil spotted them behind the wall a short time later and a cavalry of 30 kids chased them away again.
    • Galway Gardaí were based in Eglinton Street Barracks on a site which now houses Eddie Rockets and Roscoes. One of the most high-profile cases they faced in 1984 was when Loyalists planted tiny poison capsules in Quinnsworth in the Galway Shopping Centre in protest over the substantial monies the company allegedly paid to the Republican kidnappers of Quinnsworth executive Don Tidey earlier in the year. It took the Crime Squad a matter of minutes to find the tiny poison capsules in a cigarette behind packets of washing powder.
    • The West of Ireland’s first ever ATM ‘hall’ was officially opened by Dinny and Miley from Glenroe at Bank of Ireland’s branch at 43 Eyre Square.
    • Tesco, which was then in the Westside Shopping Centre, had a dilemma with missing shopping trolleys. After trolleys were strewn around local estates, management paid local kids to collect them. Weeks later, they introduced a 50p per trolley deposit.
    • English chain Woolworths – located in what is now Supermacs – closed their doors in Eyre Square after 31 years. It would be replaced some months later by Penney’s.
    • In the Town Hall or the Claddagh Palace cinemas, the likes of Police Academy, Beat Street, BMX Bandits, Ghostbusters, The Karate Kid, The Company of Wolves, Gorky Park and Top Secret were showing. For those who fancied a night in, O’Connor’s TV were selling colour portables for £399, while a Mitsubishi VHS video was £599. A Betamax sold for the same price.
    • Furious residents of the Rahoon Flats ended up huddling together over Christmas because the heating broke down – during a big freeze that lasted two weeks.
    • In John F Kennedy Park in Eyre Square, the final pieces of the Bank of Ireland fountain were being put together to mark 500 years.
    • In Salthill, the quincentenary celebrations were continuing, with work on the £100,000 Old Folks’ Park – designed by Digital – getting underway. A time capsule filled with artefacts and information on life in Ireland in 1984 was sealed in the Park and buried with the message ‘do not open until 2484’.
    • Inchagoill Contractors were selling homes in Knocknacarra Park for £36,500, while in Rockbarton in Salthill, a four-bed detached was selling for £70,000.
    • City garages were offering a new two-litre Toyota Camry for £12,990; a Citroen 2CV for £5,095; a Nissan Cherry for £6,695; an Alfa 33 for £8,295 and Toyota Starlets for £6,590. For those who couldn’t afford to get around on four wheels, BMX bikes cost £99

• We uncovered the vice-like grip which illegal moneylenders had on hundreds of families by preying on areas like Ballinfoile, Castle Park and Rahoon – our in-depth investigation later formed the basis for an RTE Today Tonight special.

That was hilarious, a highlight of 80's TV in Ireland :D One of Galway's now "respectable" auctioneers/businessmen being chased across O'Brien's Bridge by a reporter and camerman. Classic Stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Xenophon

Ha! I remember the Corrib Park roundabout with people driving the wrong way round - it was hilarious to see cars driving reaaaaalllly slowly round it, not knowing what to do. And when the inevitable car came the wrong way round it was total chaos! Of course there were hardly any cars on the road back then so it wasn't such a big deal.
    And people were alway turning right coming off the 'new' bridge to go out tthe Clifden Road, with similar ensuing mirth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

I though he was the door man at the Castle, fond memories of heading into the Tower after work on a Friday getting the double decker bus out to Salthill then into the Castle and then onto the Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Inchagoill Contractors were selling homes in Knocknacarra Park for £36,500, while in Rockbarton in Salthill, a four-bed detached was selling for £70,000.
    • City garages were offering a new two-litre Toyota Camry for £12,990; a Citroen 2CV for £5,095; a Nissan Cherry for £6,695; an Alfa 33 for £8,295 and Toyota Starlets for £6,590. For those who couldn’t afford to get around on four wheels, BMX bikes cost £99

I was just looking at this part of the quote and it got me thinking...
    Regarding the houses, if you multiplied those figues by 9 or 10 you'd be close to peak figures for the same houses during the boom.

On the other hand if you think about the cars and bikes...a Toyota Camry would be over €120k and a bmx about €8oo??? Put's things in perspective, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I also remember when Toymaster was in the Cornstore, aaahhh the memories of buying my model jets.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 B.E.S.T.

The Salthill Club scene. What an introduction to drinking and the fairer sex for a sixteen year old in `88. "Cheers" was where it started for me.

The old King`s Head before they renovatated. Could tell some stories from there re Tommy Tiernan, the local gardai and the dude who caught his sneaker on fire........ Great Memories.

Lunchtime comedy at the King`s Head.

The Warwick..........Invite only concert from the Sawdocter`s. Anyone at it where they did the skit from that Cilla Black show with Tiernan and his comedy group.

Who was that darling that worked in the deli beside the Spinnaker?Tall with the odd name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Simplyjoe

My memories:
    Coleslaw and chips in Beefeaters
    The Holiday - Martin Hughes was the DJ
    Playing snooker in the Lions Tower
    Pitch and putt in Taylors hill
    Getting the cure in the Cellar on Sunday morning listening to the Jazz
    Toasted ham and cheese sandwich and a club orange in the Kings Head

What a great city!!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Simplyjoe wrote: »
    My memories:
    Coleslaw and chips in Beefeaters
    The Holiday - Martin Hughes was the DJ
    Playing snooker in the Lions Tower
    Pitch and putt in Taylors hill
    Getting the cure in the Cellar on Sunday morning listening to the Jazz
    Toasted ham and cheese sandwich and a club orange in the Kings Head

What a great city!!

I don't mean to spoil all the fond memories for people,I have a few myself.But in general,it's a better place today.Galway and Ireland in the 80's was a more narrow minded place more full of begrudgers than now with 22% unemployment and girls who wore long jumpers down past their bottoms to hide their shape.Sorry for going off topic.

Bargain Stores in Eyre Square.
    Woolworths (where Supermac is now)
    Glynns Toy Shop (Treasure Chest)
    O'Gorman's Bookshop (Easons)
    Western House sweet shop, Salthill

Salthill nightclubs:
    The Oz
    Cheers
    Oasis
    Twiggs
    Castle
    Rumours
    Cavern
    Saphires
    Whispers
    CJs

and a battered sausage in Del Rios afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doubt.It

The onion rings were better!
    Steyr wrote: »
    I also remember when Toymaster was in the Cornstore, aaahhh the memories of buying my model jets.:)

I was passed the model jets stage by then. I used to get them in Glynns and before that what is now Happy Days in the Galway Shopping Center. But that's going back to the '70s.

You know I was racking my brains the other day trying to remember what was where the Cornstore now is. I'm sitting opposite it right now, in the Dáil Bar. Cannot picture it the way it was. But I have a feeling... Charlie Byrne's, before he moved into where Síle na Gig used to be. Wasn't that along Cross Street there somewhere?
    • In the Town Hall or the Claddagh Palace cinemas, the likes of Police Academy, Beat Street, BMX Bandits, Ghostbusters, The Karate Kid, The Company of Wolves, Gorky Park and Top Secret were showing.
    I remember watching The Company of Wolves in the Claddagh Palace! Or trying to watch it... It broke down pretty much constantly, the sound went for most of it, there were huge chunks simply missing. I'm not sure how coherent a director Neil Jordan truly is, but this projection made him seem like a Viking on acid. The film was utterly unintelligible and ruined. When the manager refused point blank to refund our money I completely lost it with her.

Some things have definitely got better since the '80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

the Cornstore was one of the first shopping malls in town. built in the mid 80s or so. I think before that it was a carpark. most of middle street back then was pretty derelict. nothing on it apart from a few houses and the rest was ruined....lydon's garden being 1 example.

There were a few old stores and sheds where the Cornstore is now. I think they were owned by McDonaghs. McDonaghs had a red-brick office building nearby, on the corner of Flood Street, where there a mortgage broker shop now, opposite the House Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Some footage of the Claddagh in 1965

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

. McDonaghs had a red-brick office building nearby, on the corner of Flood Street, where there a mortgage broker shop now, opposite the House Hotel.

Yellow bricked as i remember

DD67 wrote: »
    Yellow bricked as i remember

You're dead right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

B.E.S.T. wrote: »
    Lunchtime comedy at the King`s Head.

The Flying Pigs (that was the group Tommy was a part of) - ah the glory days! :)

Advertisement