Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ive been sick enough with the flu the last week or so and my p has got so thick and sore. I can manage with the stuff on my knees and elbows ets but its the scalp that really gets to me. Is there any way to get dovonex/dovobet without prescription or is that the only way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

wonga77 wrote: »
    Ive been sick enough with the flu the last week or so and my p has got so thick and sore. I can manage with the stuff on my knees and elbows ets but its the scalp that really gets to me. Is there any way to get dovonex/dovobet without prescription or is that the only way?
    No you need a prescription

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

wonga77 wrote: »

I really found Moogoo shampoo and conditioner made a massive difference with the scalp psoriasis. I'm trying the body wash and moisturisers and not finding them great, but they definitely made an almost immediate difference with the scalp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

rubadub wrote: »
    I actually made my own light fitting and just bought the philips bulb separately.

I got the bulb for around €50 from the UK. I posted before about buying the bulb and putting it in a suitable office lamp, which could be got in viking or similar ones in other places. You just need to have the same fitting and adequate power supply to the lamp.

I have seen them selling on the likes of adverts before. Proper ones sold as psoriasis treatment lights. There are numerous brands but all the small ones will use the exact same philips 9W narrowband UVB bulb. Some cost stupid money just since they put a "medical" tag on it.

If I was not making it I would have got a dermalight 80 or this dermfix 1000mx
    http://www.androv-medical.com/product/27/dermfix-1000mx-uv-b-lamp-for-psoriasis--vitiligo-or-eczema

There are now alternative bulbs available but I would stick with the philips, I saw a report saying they were better and I would rather stick with them, there is little in the difference.

I'd like to make up my own, any chance you could post links to the bulb/fitting you bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Here's a question:

Does anyone here with P have any form of oral thrush, be it at the front, middle, back or sides of the tongue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No.

I'm curious, if you do have some of it, it normally points to a problem with some part of the digestive system.

I actually have a mild dosage of it at the back of my tongue, which apparently points to a problem with my large intestine. And sure enough, my bowel movements have been off for a very long time now.

z0oT wrote: »
    I actually have a mild dosage of it at the back of my tongue, which apparently points to a problem with my large intestine. And sure enough, my bowel movements have been off for a very long time now.

I don't ever remember ever having thrush but have had bowel issues fir about 2 years now, which boiled up to the impaction which I got a year ago. Ever since things have been very variable in that respect, one week I'm perfectly normal and the next week on laxatives again.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I don't ever remember ever having thrush but have had bowel issues fir about 2 years now, which boiled up to the impaction which I got a year ago. Ever since things have been very variable in that respect, one week I'm perfectly normal and the next week on laxatives again.

I think my problem are parasites in my large intestine. My tongue certainly says so, and not to mention I've some of the other tell-tale symptoms of them, in addition to the P that is.

(Disgusting Part)
    What's more, I've been noticing mucus in my stools lately, it's like my body is trying to rid itself of something. This morning, I noticed what looked like worms in the stool. Maybe threadworms or something, little stringy things about an inch or so long and several of them. This isn't the 1st time I've seen them either since I started with my current diet.

I've an emena kit ordered, so I plan on trying those out. I'll try it with plain water first before I get more adventurous.

Parasites have often been linked to auto-immune diseases before, so I guess there's hope for me yet.

(Disgusting Part)
    What's more, I've been noticing mucus in my stools lately, it's like my body is trying to rid itself of something. This morning, I noticed what looked like worms in the stool. Maybe threadworms or something, little stringy things about an inch or so long and several of them. This isn't the 1st time I've seen them either since I started with my current diet.

I've an emena kit ordered, so I plan on trying those out. I'll try it with plain water first before I get more adventurous.

Parasites have often been linked to auto-immune diseases before, so I guess there's hope for me yet.
    You can get tablets without prescription for that. Take one now then take another a week later.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it would probably be worth your while trying the tablets.
    Or raw cloves of garlic if your diet allows. Careful with that though, I took garlic like that once for a few days, and I did get thrush after ! It kills everything I guess.

I wonder does your diet encourage such type of infection, like the fermented food ?

Gael23 wrote: »
    You can get tablets without prescription for that. Take one now then take another a week later.
    Yeah, it would probably be worth your while trying the tablets.
    Or raw cloves of garlic if your diet allows. Careful with that though, I took garlic like that once for a few days, and I did get thrush after ! It kills everything I guess.

I wonder does your diet encourage such type of infection, like the fermented food ?

It's probably worth my trying out an over the counter worm dose. I guess I'm a little wary of modern medicine to be truthful, the last thing I want is antiboitics.

I do actually try and eat a few cloves of raw Garlic per day, the main antifungal foods I consume are, Raw Garlic, Coconut Oil, Tumeric, Ginger, and Raw Onions.
    I only started to notice the occasional lot of mucus among other things coming out when I started on the antifungals.

And regarding the fermented foods, I actually didn't notice an improvement in symptoms since I started consuming lots of them, which is kind of telling me to consume even more of them. My favorites are my own homemade Sauerkraut, and Fermented Cauliflower usually.

It's probably worth my trying out an over the counter worm dose. I guess I'm a little wary of modern medicine to be truthful, the last thing I want is antiboitics.

I do actually try and eat a few cloves of raw Garlic per day, the main antifungal foods I consume are, Raw Garlic, Coconut Oil, Tumeric, Ginger, and Raw Onions.
    I only started to notice the occasional lot of mucus among other things coming out when I started on the antifungals.

And regarding the fermented foods, I actually didn't notice an improvement in symptoms since I started consuming lots of them, which is kind of telling me to consume even more of them. My favorites are my own homemade Sauerkraut, and Fermented Cauliflower usually.
    The tablets might give you a few little cramps but nothing more, I'm my experience anyway. I got something similar a while ago.that problem isn't much to do with psoriasis though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 akaalias

I've gone back to using Dovonex on my scalp for now. I'll be getting Dovobet but am really loathe to use it.

My one glimmer of hope is that nearly 5 years ago, October 2010, I treated the front of my scalp with Dovonex solution (now discontinued) and regular moisturiser and it cleared it up, not just temporarily but to this day it's clear. I need to moisturise it every day or else it gets dry but the skin is clear.

I've been treating the rest of my scalp for the past week with Dovonex ointment. The skin is smooth but really red and inflamed. I don't know if this is a sign to back off or that it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

yea it's killer not knowing if it getting red or inflamed temporarily might be a good sign so ye stick with it until after a couple of weeks of it being terrible nothing changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

My scalp has gotten bad again recently. I don't know how many scales can from such a small area. It's annoying as it affects the back of my scalp so it's difficult to see. Using a mirror I can see that some of my scalp is red. I don't know why it came back today. It's just occurred to me that I started eating gluten this week after being off it since January. I wonder if there is a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It's such bull**** though isnt it, can my body not just do its job and ****ing not attack itself on the part of my body that most has to interface with other human beings, unless it has a plan im unaware it's a load of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Here's a question:

Does anyone here with P have any form of oral thrush, be it at the front, middle, back or sides of the tongue?

I'm prone to thrush oral thrush, and also can get it on the corners of my mouth. I've had it about 3 times so far this year.

I phoned my consultant this morning and requested that my methotrexate dosage be increased again. It was decreased in December and it's since then that I've had the worst P that I've ever had. I'm hoping that moving back up to 20mg/week will help. Getting desperate now, especially coming into summer when I won't want to keep my forearms covered the whole time.

It's such bull**** though isnt it, can my body not just do its job and ****ing not attack itself on the part of my body that most has to interface with other human beings, unless it has a plan im unaware it's a load of ****
    It'd be nice wouldn't it?

Although there is a reason it does that. The immune system always needs a trigger to act, it's finding that reason that is such an agonizing process of trial and error. :(
    I'm prone to thrush oral thrush, and also can get it on the corners of my mouth. I've had it about 3 times so far this year.

I phoned my consultant this morning and requested that my methotrexate dosage be increased again. It was decreased in December and it's since then that I've had the worst P that I've ever had. I'm hoping that moving back up to 20mg/week will help. Getting desperate now, especially coming into summer when I won't want to keep my forearms covered the whole time.
    Where do you have it on your tongue? Is it the tip, middle, back or sides of the tongue or is it all over?

It is said that your tongue tells you a lot about your digestive system. If you've thrush on the tip of your tongue, there's an issue with your stomach, if it's on the middle of your tongue there's something amiss with your small intestine. Finally if it's on the back, then it's your large intestine. The sides of it apparently indicate a problem with your liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Where do you have it on your tongue? Is it the tip, middle, back or sides of the tongue or is it all over?

It is said that your tongue tells you a lot about your digestive system. If you've thrush on the tip of your tongue, there's an issue with your stomach, if it's on the middle of your tongue there's something amiss with your small intestine. Finally if it's on the back, then it's your large intestine. The sides of it apparently indicate a problem with your liver.

I've had it on the sides and on the top/front.

• Advertisement

I've had it on the sides and on the top/front.
    So the stomach and liver have issues going by that analysis then.

I don't know, I'm not going to try and give advice but it might be worth reading up on other digestive symptoms if you have them. I do know for the stomach, one thing you can do that can help a lot is a table spoon of Apple Cider Vinegar about 20 minutes or so before each meal to increase stomach acid and aid digestion. The Liver then, there are several forms of detox diets and such you can try, don't know how effective they are.

I've said it before in this thread, but the very 1st thing I'd try would be a Paleo diet.

Me...
    I've started with enemas given my digestive issues. They're easier to do than I thought, and I tend to feel pretty damn good after I've finished each of them. I'm getting a lot of what looks like Candida, and other ugly looking foreign stuff out of me which is encouraging aswell.

At this stage I'm willing to try out everything and anything no matter how unorthodox by way of natural treatments to get to the bottom of this, since the medical approach never yielded anything for me.

akaalias wrote: »
    I've gone back to using Dovonex on my scalp for now. I'll be getting Dovobet but am really loathe to use it.

My one glimmer of hope is that nearly 5 years ago, October 2010, I treated the front of my scalp with Dovonex solution (now discontinued) and regular moisturiser and it cleared it up, not just temporarily but to this day it's clear. I need to moisturise it every day or else it gets dry but the skin is clear.

I've been treating the rest of my scalp for the past week with Dovonex ointment. The skin is smooth but really red and inflamed. I don't know if this is a sign to back off or that it's working.

Dovobet will get things back under control if you use it for a few weeks.
    How did you get on with your GP and the UVB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

folks, heading to madrid on a stag next weekend, anyone get ointment over there and bring it or post it back? I hear diprasolic is alot cheaper over there and its all that works on me,

i will need a bucket load after 3 days boozing and eating sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 esp93

Hey everyone, I'm new to this board but hoping someone will be able to help/ give me some advice on my severe psoriasis! I'm at my wits end atm!
    I had my first break out of guttate when I was 18/19, about 2 years ago. It was October of second year in college. It soon developed to plaque & was getting steroids (dovobet mainly) from my doctor. It came and went during the year but it hit a peak in May/ June when I was completely covered. I realised steroids were making it worse and decided to stop. I spent weeks on a diet & even tried sunbeds (never again) but it was worse than ever. Miraculously, around August with the help of some sun & Moogoo cream it started clearing. I spent last year in Spain studying & had no flare ups whatsoever, even though I was in a freezing cold city.
    Fast forward a year later & ive just finished final year exams. I started showing signs around March/ April & I know it was because of exam stress. Yet again I gave in & applied small amounts of steroids (dovobet/ eumovate) because psoriasis was the last thing I wanted to be thinking of at that point. Again cleared for a week/ two then the rebound came worse than ever. So I survived exams and now covered head to toe in psoriasis.
    I've now completely cut out steroids again. I'll be spending July in Spain so I know that will help it immensely but the thought of baring my legs/ arms covered in red spots for the first week or two are terrifying as I'll be working with young people. Again I'm going to try a diet, dairy/ sugar free but any advice would help greatly.
    The only thing stressing me atm is the psoriasis itself & it's getting me down so much. Has anyone tried any natural creams/ ointments which could help soothe it or hide the redness?

Sorry for the long essay, any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the unfortunate club :)

I use a great cream at the moment which comes in a large pump form, it's called Xemose, and it's one of those chemist Vichy or Uriage sort of ranges. Middle of the road price for the large bottle, around 16 euros I guess. It's really nice and smoothes really well, and really helps with the redness.

My favourite herbal shop type of ointment ever was argan oil, before it became somewhat fashionable. I remember going into my local herbal shop and telling them all about it, even wrote it down for them :D
    Anyway, my point is that this was probably a lot purer and more concentrated than a lot of argan products now, I was having it shipped from Morocco to France, then Ireland, it was a really terribly smelly solidified brown oil with lots of residue (brown powder).
    If you can find unrefined argan ointment like that, go for it, it was the best thing I ever used in terms of ointments.
    My French shop stopped selling it when argan took off in Europe, I guess regulations came in and it was too unrefined. Too cheap by current rates too. :(

If anyone finds something like it, please let me know ! *

Good luck with it esp, read the thread in your own time, lots of very good suggestions.

* the smell was very distinctive and unmissable, not an added scent. Kind of like burnt spice smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

I finally caved and went to the doctor today. He prescribed me Dovobet for my scalp. He also told me to soak my scalp in olives oil to remove the scales so the medicine can soak in. I just applied the Dovobet so here's hoping.

Another update from me:

Good news is that I think I've finally confirmed the source of my P. The bad news is it'll take a while to clear it out. It's a Candida overgrowth in my Large Intestine or Colon. I'm pretty certain of it now.

Sure enough, I've had symptoms pointing to colonic issues for a long time now - occasional diarrhea/constipation, occasional blood, but yet I've never had symptoms pointing to the rest of the digestive system - The Small Intestine up to the Stomach/Liver, so it's unlikely to be them - no abdominal pain, no heartburn, no acid reflux, no bloating, no indigestion etc.
    The reason I'm more certain now, is that through the use of Apple Cider Vinegar and Sauerkraut Juice Enemas this week, I managed to expel a large amount of what was almost certainly Candida last night. The output looked exactly like this, although not as much of it.

http://www.curezone.org/upload/_C_Forums/Candida/Candida6.jpg

A major hope of mine is that my overgrowth can't really be that bad and as such shouldn't take too long to clear out. This is because my symptoms are not that bad, the worst is P (which admittedly is classified as "Mild") but I have some others too.
    I also managed to kill what was almost definitely a Tapeworm too, through the use of OTC stuff. Loads of tell-tale segments were helped out after a few enemas, along with what was hopefully the head of the worm too after a while. My colon must have been a mess, hopefully it might begin to mend now. :(

What has all this to do with P? Well, Parasites and Candida have often been linked to P in the past given they can cause Leaky Gut, so here's hoping. I guess it feels a bit better to have some clearer direction now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Does anyone here have psoratic arthritis? My gp thinks I may have it but rheumatologist is still undecided. I dont have psoriasis ( had one or 2 patches when I was younger) but my mother and brother have it

Irishchick wrote: »
    Does anyone here have psoratic arthritis? My gp thinks I may have it but rheumatologist is still undecided. I dont have psoriasis ( had one or 2 patches when I was younger) but my mother and brother have it

I have some in two kunckles (one on either hand, not the same one on both) and in my right heel. I developed it at the start of this year, shortly after making large dietary changes.

What helped it for me since I've gotten it is large consumption of probiotic foods (Fermented Vegetables mainly). It kind of doesn't bother me at all, it's about 90% gone now.

How severe is yours?

• Advertisement

Irishchick wrote: »

I think I have some too, but it's self diagnosed as of yet.
    I was supposed to be referred to a rheumatologist, but never received letter, and I haven't pushed it with GP, as this year has actually been hugely better than last year. No good being seen when there is no inflammation :rolleyes:

Top joints of the middle and index fingers, left hand mostly but the right hand has popped up too on occasion.
    Knuckles, mostly little finger one, sometimes all. I had one of them little balls of fluid that happen after inflammation beside the index knuckle in the palm of hand for a while too. Interestingly, I realize as I type that it's mostly the left hand that causes trouble. Pains are mostly dull persistent pain, and I don't really swell a lot, except waking up with sausage fingers. Sometimes searing pain as if a needle is inserted in the joint, have had that at base of thumb, that was terrible.

I remember a year when my heels on both sides were excruciatingly painful, but I never copped on it could be related to PA so I changed footwear, and self treated in lots of different over the counter ways, and made it through. That year one knee was also sore.

Now thankfully it's just knuckles, and apart from left hand that's more bothersome, it's all mild. Don't ever want to get heel pains again.

I'm used to the dull persistent pain.
    If it was searing pains on a regular basis I'd really have to do something about it.

Advertisement