Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

receeding hair

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Has anyone on here heard of Histogen. I think one of the people behind it is a woman called Dr Gail Naughton. It seems like an injection to rejuvenate the hair follicles. It is soon entering the Phase III trials before it is approved for use. Although I've heard that there is a cancer risk with it which they are trying t iron out.

I'd say it will not be approved without more stringent testing than finasteride got given the **** that the FDA is getting for it at present.

I heard about this, though haven't heard any cancer risks. That's alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I read about it on the bald truth. It was only mentioned in a few posts on a thread. I'd be confident that if it gets an FDA stamp there will have been more stringent testing than Finasteride got for hair loss. Bearing in mind hair loss is not an illnes as such they will be more careful this time about dishing out the approvals. I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

sungear wrote: »
    Is minoxidil a tablet or a shampoo? is it a prescription item, I looked into this last year, saw the price of a rogaine shampoo on the shelf in boots and just thought, better give up as its too dear, but 60-70euro for a generic for 6 months sounds ok, if it even slows my hairloss then that would be good.
    Do I need to see a doctor or get a letter for a dermatologist or can i just get this over the counter in a pharmacy??

Are these available in any of the main stores or boots? just wondering if you know, I'll have to look as i never heard of them before now.

You can just buy it, but don't pay for it over the counter, it's ridiculously expensive. Just buy it online, like I said only 60 euro for six months worth.

I also take Saw palmetto which I've no idea if it works or not, and there's no evidence either way to say it definitely does or does not, but interestingly enough I went from taking 1,200mg a day (zero side effects of any kind by the way) to none for two months, and in that period my hairless definitely got worse. Not going to say it was definitely the SP as it could be just a coincidence and natural hairloss progression but I decided to start taking it again anyway.

Pondering Finasteride now too even though the potential sides scare me, as my hair is starting to enter the badly receding stage (crown's OK for now though thankfully).

You know what I really don't get, and I have to ask all the other guys experiencing hair loss - you know how people complain of finding hairs everywhere; the pillow, the sink, the shower, whatever. The weird part is that I don't find any hairs in any of those places. In fact when I pull my hair at the point of receding, I don't even get loose hairs. Where the hell is the hair going? It's like it's being stolen while I sleep. Just thought that was just a bit...odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Got an appt @34yo for braces!!!! :D
    Jesus I know a Filipina pushing 40 who has been wearing braces for the last ten years. It's quite the fashion statement in those quarters apparently.

In other news, I've a fine full head of black hair and a six pack, and far from being a youngster either. Doesn't matter a shite though, it's all about how you present yourself. Confidence is the biggest aphrodisiac, remember that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭EdRedbird

i folks, my hair is receeding on top can anyone recommend what wuld be best for me to stop and or regain some of my hair? thanks:o

They are called Tigh-Burns.....
    Less friction might result in regain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

You could just accept it for what it is, especially if you're in your mid 30s onwards.

Women hate insecurity more than a receding hairline. ;)

Does anyone who takes minoxidil experience excessive body hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Can anyone tell me..is Saw palmetto over the counter or prescription?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

I've seen Saw Palmetto in Holland and Barrett etc.

is it simply just buy the vitamin/tablet in the vitamin shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

I'm utterly amazed at the amount of misinformation in this thread! "There's nothing you can do" "shave it off". Lies google the big three:

Finasteride + Minoxidil + Nizoral

Using all three you stand a very good chance at keeping your hair and a good chance of regrowing some hair. Don't listen to people who tell you to just accept it, in all liklihood they never did their research and never tried.

James Nesbitt had a hair transplant btw, and in order to stop the hair around the transplant from falling out, he,like everyone who has a transplant, uses finasteride to prevent any further hair loss.

Side effects are rare, and it works for most guys, for some reason there's just an incredible number of men who don't know any better, and tell other men to just accept it, there's nothing they can do. Wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm on finasteride, no side effects whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

I took Finasteride and experienced side effects after two weeks - less frequent erections and a decreased libido. I stopped immediately and went through a very scary endocrine crash as a result; extreme pain and swelling in my genitals and no libido. Thankfully, I got better after about two weeks, and thankfully I didn't continue using it. It's a big risk when you decide to mess with your hormones and, in my opinion, the notion that only 2% of people experience sides is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

I've been on finasteride for 2 and a half months and have no side effects at all. The only thing that is happening is (after a scary, but expected month long shed) my thin spots are thickening up so you can't see my scalp anymore. Finasteride doesn't effect testosterone levels at all, it only prevents/reduces conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone.

GEKKO135 wrote: »
    I took Finasteride and experienced side effects after two weeks - less frequent erections and a decreased libido. I stopped immediately and went through a very scary endocrine crash as a result; extreme pain and swelling in my genitals and no libido. Thankfully, I got better after about two weeks, and thankfully I didn't continue using it. It's a big risk when you decide to mess with your hormones and, in my opinion, the notion that only 2% of people experience sides is nonsense.

What is this? How did you know this was what was happening - did you go to doctor or online research?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

What is this? How did you know this was what was happening - did you go to doctor or online research?

Yes, at the time I researched the side effects of Propecia tirelessly. What happened to me is identical to what has happened hundreds if not thousands of other men upon cessation of the drug. And yes, naturally enough, I did decide to go to my doctor when my balls decided to swell to the size of a mandarin. He told me he had no doubt what happened to me was a result of Propecia, however, he did not go so far as to say I had an endocrine crash; that is just the opinion I have formulated. It would be far too coincidental for me believe that what happened to me was either just spontaneous or due to some other unknown factor.

The bottom line: I took Propecia and I experienced sides after two weeks, I then stopped Propecia and experienced some sort of horrible crash (surges and dips in libido / bollox swelling up / dull pain in perenium) that can only be attributed to my endocrine system.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Are there any potential side effects of Propecia?

Icarian wrote: »
    I've been on finasteride for 2 and a half months and have no side effects at all. The only thing that is happening is (after a scary, but expected month long shed) my thin spots are thickening up so you can't see my scalp anymore. Finasteride doesn't effect testosterone levels at all, it only prevents/reduces conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone.

You are lucky. But keep a close eye on it, I wasn't getting side effects till 6y months in. Then they came on pretty quick. No lasting ones though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shavins

so propecia is unsafe?am trying viviscal from tomorrow-does anyone know if it is a waste of time or worth a go?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

shave it off, i was thinning on top when i was in my early twenties, by mid twenties i got a mac razor and shaved it off. thought the look was a bit too severe and decided on using a beard trimmer with no heads on it. i think with no heads on the shaver its called a zero blade? anyway i felt more confident and loved the look. i didnt have to worry about wet hair showing my scalp, wind blowing my carefully groomed hair etc. i find that women dont care if you have hair or not. its mostly down to how youre feeling about yourself and you dont let yourself look messy or unkept. i have to admit one thing, a clean shaved head, beard to match the length of hair on your head and a nice short on gets you some looks from some good looking women. but thats down to how you carry yourself too because you know youre looking good.

id say, try using a beard trimmer with no 1,2 or 3 blade head extensions on it, grow a beard or cut your beard to the same length and see what you think. if youre weary about what people may think of you, stick on a nice shirt and walk down grafton street on a sunny day. see what women look at you..or men

shavins wrote: »
    so propecia is unsafe?am trying viviscal from tomorrow-does anyone know if it is a waste of time or worth a go?Thanks

Can't seem to find anything good about it from places I would deem reputable(Hairlosstalk) and it's really expensive, it seems to be a great vitamin supply though? 50 a month is really expensive imo, Finasteride(Propecia) works. If you want to take the risk then do go ahead. It really is a small amount of people who suffer the horrible side effects. But don't let anyone tell you they don't exist. I'm happy to have tried it, I know it works at least but I got too many of the side effects. Your hairloss, how is it? Is your head itchy?(Mine is/was -> Aggressive MpB). Also, would you look good with short hair? Do you tan well? I wouldn't agree with owen fully, it does depend on the person. Of course that look is good on some people, it really depends on the shape of your head, complexion and hair color. **** some people are just sexy with or without hair.

On the other hand I would be **** ugly without my hair. Luck of the draw. Imo, keeping your hair is worth a shot. At the very least start buying Nizoral and using it as it's also proven to work to slow down the hairloss(and get rid of the itchiness if you have it), thats cheap and it at the very least slows down hairloss. Also when buying normal shampoo start buying moisturizing shampoo instead of other ones as Nizoral over a long period can dry your scalp(easily mend-able with regular moisturizing shampoo)

Also, I started using Spiro S5 creme, I suspect it is working, but i'm waiting to see if it's truly worth it before I report back to you guys, been on it about 4-5 months now. Hairloss increased(completely expected and should happen for this type of treatment only if it's working, it was the same with Finasteride/Propecia). If I start regrowing dark hair(i'm regrowing miniaturized hair now but I don't deem that worthy or use) i'll report back. If I don't and it stays like this within the next 7 months, i'll let you guys know too. One thing I definitely noticed is my hair on the side(as I said aggressive mpb) has really started growing back again i'll let you know how far this goes after a years treatment

Spiro works alot like Propecia as they both get to the source of mpb and stop it and the creme version doesn't give you side effects, but the effectiveness of the creme over the pills is also not really known well. So I decided to give it a shot.

The cost of propecia + minoxidil + Nizoral is like...200-300 a year, Spiro instead of Propecia is even cheaper or around the same price. Thats not much to pay to keep your hair imo, but again propecia, while it works for the majority, also seems to give a high amount of people side effects. You should google more about it and try to find reputable places, hairlosstalk is a good one I think. Try to find alot of people instead of just taking the word of a few people on this forum including mine. The more people you find who have tried/experienced all this the better informed you'll be about what you want to do.

Hey also, if you do get on any pill such as propecia, it's important to ween off them if you are stopping, alot of powerful drugs can have DRASTIC effects if you just stop taking them. Anti depressents are a good example for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

shavins wrote: »
    he there i went to my dermatologist 3 weeks ago and she prescribed me proscar which i cut into quarters to give me 1.25mg of finasteride a day. its only like 25euro for 6months supply. Its the same as propcia. She told me the drug is very safe and has been around for over 20 years so it has a good safety profile. i have been on it 3 weeks but it takes up to a year to notice any benefits. This shave your head thing is an idiotic comment as some people me included just look terrible bald. As briang said try it and see thats what i am doing anyway and hopefully in few years something better will come along and i will have maintained what i have. There is sides to all drugs and in a tiny percenatge as with this drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

so its an idiotic idea to shave your head if it suits some? well done lad, perhaps that proscar stuff is making you irritated.

anyway, to everyone else, if couldnt imagine ever being bald, i thought id look awful, but decided to just give it a go and sure if i hated it, it would grow back soon enough and i could go down another route. so perhaps it will work for you too, perhaps not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

owen85 wrote: »
    so its an idiotic idea to shave your head if it suits some? well done lad, perhaps that proscar stuff is making you irritated.

anyway, to everyone else, if couldnt imagine ever being bald, i thought id look awful, but decided to just give it a go and sure if i hated it, it would grow back soon enough and i could go down another route. so perhaps it will work for you too, perhaps not.

Its idiotic in the sense that you did not give the poster any other options but to shave it off which i vbelieve is not a fair comment. of course some people look good with the shaved look but for the vast majority of irish men it does not. I m not trying to have an argument im just letting a poster know that there are options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I completely agree with you. Every time someone is losing their hair you hear this chorus of "OMG the horror! Better shave your whole head clean before anyone notices your filthy hairline!"

Sure, a zero blade suits some people, whether or not they're balding but there's certainly nothing shameful about having a receding hairline or being bald without being buzzed. Thankfully enough I haven't gone bald but if I do then I won't be running to grab the razor blades, bad enough having having to do the face all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

After six years of using propecia with no side effects, I starting developing man boobs quite rapidly, despite the fact that I'm thin. No amount of exercise or fat cutting could change the shape that was forming and it was super noticeable and unnatural-looking on every type of clothing I wore on upper body. Slowly tapered off propecia entirely and got examined, was diagnosed with pseudo-gynecomastia, meaning that no breast tissue had yet formed, thank god.

Ended up getting laser lipo (most uncomfortable experience of my life) for around €2800, which wasn't a bad price but I'm not 100% satisfied with my results, nearly five months later. It annoys me that to prohibit hair transplant surgery, I ended up going down a route that ended in a different type of surgery due to side effects.

Long story short: my advice is to not use propecia. Even if you haven't experienced any side effects, that could change quite quickly. As far I'm aware, with erectile issues, they fade once you stop using propecia, but in the case of unnatural fatty deposits or breast tissue on your chest, you will need surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Yea Stay away from anything that effects your hormones or medication in general. Laser Hair therapy can prevent further baldness. You can keep what you have essentially.

Am still using that Spiro and still see no 'worthy' results but if I start regrowing properly i'll get back to ya's. If it ends up working it is a viable alternative to Propecia because well -> There is no chance of sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ragnarl

Fin, Dut, Minox or SMP as a last measure.

Google is your friend

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement