Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So she gets a trip to Paris, an engagement ring and a MacBook Pro and you get socks and a 1080 in return. You're getting ripped off there. Ditch her. The money you save on the wedding can build the most awesomest computer ever. If I were you I wouldn't bother with going SLI. Going by benches I've seen the 1080 is pretty handles 1440p brilliantly. You could go with a 5820K. I imagine 6 highly clocked cores with hyperthreading would really help with your VMs. If you don't go with a second 1080 then you could easily get that, 32GBs RAM (maybe even 64GBs but I'm not sure of prices or if it's even worth it) and a good motherboard and still have change left over. I'd probably get a bigger SSD for your games drive with the size of some games nowadays 250GB will only be enough for a handful of AAA games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Looking on adverts at gpus was enough to put me off selling mine yet think I'll wait till I have a gtx 1080. Don't care about the loss not worth it dealing with timmys.

Buying or selling?

I bought a second hand 290 last year for what I felt was a good price, think it was like €220. If I was selling it to fund a 1070, probably look for €150 for it.

Adverts can be frustrating, but then I don't get that annoyed just telling people no. Some people feel the need to entertain every outragous offer they receive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

So she gets a trip to Paris, an engagement ring and a MacBook Pro and you get socks and a 1080 in return. You're getting ripped off there. Ditch her. The money you save on the wedding can build the most awesomest computer ever. If I were you I wouldn't bother with going SLI. Going by benches I've seen the 1080 is pretty handles 1440p brilliantly. You could go with a 5820K. I imagine 6 highly clocked cores with hyperthreading would really help with your VMs. If you don't go with a second 1080 then you could easily get that, 32GBs RAM (maybe even 64GBs but I'm not sure of prices or if it's even worth it) and a good motherboard and still have change left over. I'd probably get a bigger SSD for your games drive with the size of some games nowadays 250GB will only be enough for a handful of AAA games.

Yeah that would be ideal :p

I've 2 512gb ssd's in my amazon basket which I think I'll pick up this week or next. (Not inclusive of budget for the main build)

I've moved my post to a new thread now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

TheDoc wrote: »
    Buying or selling?

I bought a second hand 290 last year for what I felt was a good price, think it was like €220. If I was selling it to fund a 1070, probably look for €150 for it.

I bought my 290 second hand last year on Adverts for 210. Sold it 13 months later for 230... Definately dont take less than 200 for it because there fetching that and upwards even for reference models.

And on another subject I got sorted from my earlier post. Dude was trying to power the 290 off the molex pins using an Artic or other cheapo 700W PSU. His friend tested it using an Evga Supernova PSU and card was fine. Thanks for the advice guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

A leg of my chair is broken so I either need to get used to slowly rotating towards the left or get a new one. Any recommendations? Nothing from ikea. I live in Galway and dont have a car. Wouldnt want to go above 150. Viking seems good but its tough to tell what a chair is like from just pictures.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A leg of my chair is broken so I either need to get used to slowly rotating towards the left or get a new one. Any recommendations? Nothing from ikea. I live in Galway and dont have a car. Wouldnt want to go above 150. Viking seems good but its tough to tell what a chair is like from just pictures.

I got two of the Berlin chairs from Viking. I found them great and last I checked both are still working away despite them being about 6 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I got two of the Berlin chairs from Viking. I found them great and last I checked both are still working away despite them being about 6 years old.

Picked up one from Viking a few weeks ago to replace an ancient decrepit Woodies office chair.

Mixed reviews on Amazon for this chair (under different name)

Some loved it for its value even if its not soft leather. Some even disbelieved its leather. Others said the cushions flattened and leather split after a year or so.

I've only had mine a few weeks but I like it. Feels comfortable to me. The faux leather on the back and sides and the arm rests is soft, the armrests are wider than I expected and padded enough for me. The seat and seat back 'Real' leather feels harder and more 'plasticky' than the Faux ironically but it feels tougher and like it should last which is the other side of the coin. However, having researched lots of office chairs and seeing the price of a lot of them, I think these 65 odd euro office chairs look like great value

Given your 6 year checkup I wonder what kind of punishment the negative Amazon reviewers put them through to cause the cushions and leather to split so soon. 'Heavier' customers maybe?

I'm happy with my purchase anyway.

I've added some Vesa monitor mounts designed for poles to the arms of the chair as I will be mounting a Joystick HOTAS to the chair for Flight Sims and Elite Dangerous etc in VR. Thats what you see attached to the arms in the photo below. Those things nearly cost as much as the chair :D

nzaKRsN.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

O.M.F.G... HOTAS on the chair... great idea!!!

More pics please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Any recommendations for a good wireless game pad? Im using the ps4 controller with ds4 tools but sometimes it drops connection was wondering is there something better out there other then that or the xbox controllers.

O.M.F.G... HOTAS on the chair... great idea!!!

More pics please!

Hold your horses! I've a lot on my plate. Waiting for my Rift, purchasing and building my VR PC, purchasing and building my media server, planning buttkickers for the chair and all the cabling, inset breakout panel for all the cabling and my Rift cabling built into the desk, etc etc blah blah. ;):D

My brain is buckling under the mental load!! :D

Heres google images of where I got the idea.

In a lot of those examples the Vesa brackets are orientated differently with the HOTAS velcro'd to the VESA mount plate itself. However, I found that the clamp parts projected into the seat/leg space and I worried I'd scratch my thighs off them if I didn't sit down carefully. Instead I rotated the clamps compared to most which actually meant they clamped around this chairs metal arms perfectly. The clamps no longer projected into the seat space, and the new orientation compared to those others means the articulation of the 'arms' of the Vesa mount and rotatability of the 'plate' are not rendered moot. They are now usable and I can swing the Hotas away to the sides and also rotate the plate and pivot the HOTAS down so the chair can now be pushed under the desk. All I need to do to enable all this is make a little platform for the HOTAS that bolts to the mounting plate rather than affixing the HOTAS directly to the plate like all those photo's.

Hard to explain in words. Pictures are better. Heres a crappy Paint diagram though.

IjiOlSL.jpg

The benefit to the way I have orientated the Vesa clamps and how I will mount to the plate is that I get to have the HOTAS in line with the armrests when in use which is the most ergonomic position, but I also get to be able to swing them out of the way to the sides when not in use, and also get to rotate them down so I can push the chair arms under the desk. The way others have these mounted the can either have them ergonomically at the end of the arms but can't swing them away or rotate them or they can rotate them but they are not positioned ergonomically for actually use. You may notice the angle would be slightly tilted towards the floor. I did initially articulate the mount to have the HOTAS level but when I sat in the chair I realised that when I tilt the chair back to a comfortable position with my feet on my footrest, the HOTAS is now level. Basically, the HOTAS mount looks tilted when the chair itself is level when not in use, but when I actually use the chair for Elite Dangerous, I tilt the chair back which levels the HOTAS....if you get me. This matches the pilot in ED much better as far as I can see.

Heres a photo of them articulated such that I could have mounted the hotas directly to the plate. However this was not ergonomic in practice as my arms were splayed outwards and with hands on the HOTAS my elbows are pushed into my torso. Having the HOTAS at the end of the arms and inline with the armrests is the ideal. Arms are suported and neither over extended or bunched up against your torso.

nrMNqZS.jpg

Bonus Pic

zF3HBvf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

My Rift is in Tamworth at the mo! Any news on yours?

My Rift is in Tamworth at the mo! Any news on yours?

Ah Tamworth. I know you so well. Never been there but lots of my Amazon stuff tracks through there :D

I've been very ZEN about the whole 2 month shipping delays. Sure I don't even have my VR PC purchased or shipped yet (Waiting for Pascal info that might affect component decisions)

However, Tuesday saw a flurry of European shipment emails before they stopped again. Lots of those emails were for orders very close to mine and even later. I'm a 41 minute XXXX31XXXX 30/05/16 - 09/06/16 pre-order. Started seeing a few european 45-50 minuters orders ship. So My ZEN is gone and I've started checking and F5 ing my order page several times a day and am now gutted each time when it hasn't changed to 'Processing'.

TLDR. Who bloody knows!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Calibos wrote: »
    Picked up one from Viking a few weeks ago to replace an ancient decrepit Woodies office chair.

Mixed reviews on Amazon for this chair (under different name)

Some loved it for its value even if its not soft leather. Some even disbelieved its leather. Others said the cushions flattened and leather split after a year or so.

I've only had mine a few weeks but I like it. Feels comfortable to me. The faux leather on the back and sides and the arm rests is soft, the armrests are wider than I expected and padded enough for me. The seat and seat back 'Real' leather feels harder and more 'plasticky' than the Faux ironically but it feels tougher and like it should last which is the other side of the coin. However, having researched lots of office chairs and seeing the price of a lot of them, I think these 65 odd euro office chairs look like great value

Given your 6 year checkup I wonder what kind of punishment the negative Amazon reviewers put them through to cause the cushions and leather to split so soon. 'Heavier' customers maybe?

I'm happy with my purchase anyway.

I've added some Vesa monitor mounts designed for poles to the arms of the chair as I will be mounting a Joystick HOTAS to the chair for Flight Sims and Elite Dangerous etc in VR. Thats what you see attached to the arms in the photo below. Those things nearly cost as much as the chair :D

That chair looks like it would do the job. Do you find the cushions soft? Im torn between that chair and this one that looks like it might be a bit softer.
    http://www.vikingdirect.ie/catalog/catalogSku.do?id=3261822&pr=Q45&cm_sp=merchpromo-_-st2-_-chair

Viking seems to want my company name, Im assuming making something up wont be a problem. Compu-Global-Hyper-Mega-Net is in business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Hi guys Im in the market to building a new pc but I just noticed dabs is pretty much gone for the normal consumer so is there any other site that is decent in prices? in the market for a nice Radeon R9 390 DC3 OC Strix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

jonon9 wrote: »
    Hi guys Im in the market to building a new pc but I just noticed dabs is pretty much gone for the normal consumer so is there any other site that is decent in prices? in the market for a nice Radeon R9 390 DC3 OC Strix

Maybe try Amazon.de or amazon.fr? That's where I got a couple parts from at decent prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What is the shipping price from overclockers.co.uk to Ireland does anyone know?

edit: nevermind, 36.95 sterling, daylight robbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Parcel motel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Parcel motel?
    I was thinking about that.

But more thinking has led me to think properly that I cannot really afford a new monitor.
    I was thinking about a 1080p 144Hz ,1ms, freesync monitor. Even if I had the money I don't think my graphics card would be able to run a 1440p, 144Hz freesync monitor. I have a 4GB R9 290.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

edit: nevermind, 36.95 sterling, daylight robbery.

If you choose the DPD option it should be a good bit cheaper. Was a few months back since I last bought from them but I think it was like €15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah postage from OCUK is usually about €12-15 for me and that would be with a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

jonon9 wrote: »

mindfactory.de for the innards of a full build, amazon for cases, monitors or for single items at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

http://www.hydra-shop.com/en/shop/hydra-desk-case actually thinking i might get one of these :D being able to pay it off in 4 stages might help haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

actually thinking i might get i'm getting one of these :D being able to pay it off in 4 stages might will help haha

My ability to live vicariously depends on this. Look at all that space!

i knew i worded that wrong :D really cool company, responds instantly on facebook to any queries, desks can be customized from 1500mm length to 2000mm, wonder how hard it will be to build in it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No proof reading there, tut tut.
    ORDERS CAN CURRENTLY BE PALCED BY WRITING TO OUR EMAIL

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    No proof reading there, tut tut.

they start production tomorrow as far ive read, 30 days waiting time after order is placed.

Do you know what? When you consider how much a Corsair 900D or some caselabs cases cost, €850 for that doesn't look too bad at all.

Yeah was looking at a 900d and a nice new desk, spotted the smaller version hydra desk for 550 and was like wow, wonder would setting up a desk case be more fiddly than a regular tower though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Bit of a bitch to take to LANs though. :P

Guess I'll just have to own two computers :D god I can't wait to tell herself of this revelation haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That's a lot of metal and fabbing for the money in what I would assume is limited production run. Metal furniture has to be much stronger then wood, because it can't flex without deforming. It worries me to see three 3d designers with not a engineer in sight. I would really wait for some other opinions on those before buying them.

well if its a limited run i am goosed anyway as i wont have funds for another 2 months, suppose because they are such a new company that reviews will be few and far between......how bad can it be sure :D if your a 3d designer and you cant design a desk your probably in the wrong business.

In comparison this Lian li just looks so meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

well if its a limited run i am goosed anyway as i wont have funds for another 2 months, suppose because they are such a new company that reviews will be few and far between......how bad can it be sure :D if your a 3d designer and you cant design a desk your probably in the wrong business.

In comparison this Lian li just looks so meh

I'm going to preface this by saying I have no idea of how this company will turn out, but usually a good example of a designer only company can be found by googling "kickstarter scam". They could be good but looking at the Lian li, its a good example of a table with structural integrity. Cases and desks have to be able to withstand huge amounts of weight placed onto them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In desk build is potentially the must unappealing fad that has cropped up in PC Building in recent times. I don't see the appeal at all.

Moving into a new house end of this week, and top of the list is an IKEA trip to build a new desk. I'm a freak, get as hyped for a new PC desk as I do with new Pc parts.

I'd see myself as very picky when it comes to anything related to my PC, unfortunately living in Kerry means IKEA is no good as they don't deliver and I don't have the time or equipment to drive up and down. Damn shame as well as I'd love a desk from there!

Trying to find a big desk that I can put a big full size tower corsair 900d say, on top of has been a pain in my ass for ages :D I like the idea of combining the desk with the tower, saves space and looks good (IMO).
    I'll wait a few months a check the feedback on these guys though (as was said above) you just never know if a crowd funded product is legit until reviewed by unassociated people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I lose the will to live anytime I have to suffer ikea. Walking for miles, usually slowly cos you're stuck behind all the other shoppers who have no idea what they want until they see,passing through all the sections until you get to the one you want, then walking for miles to the warehouse to collect it. Does my head in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I love Ikea :p Well, I do until the inevitable dehydration and heatstroke set in anyways! :pac:

I also like in-desk builds, at least the more... extreme ...ones anyway :D Alas, that kind of casemodding takes a pretty hefty amount of time, money and hard graft to get results. I agree that just hiding your PC's innards inside a desk is a rather uninspiring trend though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I just ended up building my own desk! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I just ended up building my own desk! :pac:

pics or gtfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Polaris benches out apparently, and AMD is now saying that Zen is 2x the power of an Fx-8350. That would be nice, for a change.

• Advertisement

I suppose I better start ordering parts and building my PC.

Got my Oculus Rift Order Processing email last night :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The bearings on my case fan is gone and the grinding has started... I'm thinking of holding off and throwing in a GTX1070 when I buy a replacement :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The bearings on my case fan is gone and the grinding has started... I'm thinking of holding off and throwing in a GTX1070 when I buy a replacement :D

Could be the most expensive case fan replacement price ever !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Could be the most expensive case fan replacement price ever !!

Like needing a new tyre and deciding to replace the engine while you're at it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Playing with an AM3 build a lunchtime to see if I could get it POSTing, bloody voltage delivery MOSFET exploded. I nearly hit the roof :eek:

Something very important missing from this photo ;)

Cm7yaBH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Did you really completely remove the monitor in favour of the rift? :O Dunno if I'd like that tbh. I can see why with your setup though. Looks sweet :D

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Did you really completely remove the monitor in favour of the rift? :O Dunno if I'd like that tbh. I can see why with your setup though. Looks sweet :D

The missing component is an actual PC to use the Rift with. :D

Nah, Gen 1 VR isn't high Res enough to replace the desktop monitor for everyday productivity just yet. Maybe gen 2 or 3 if AR doesn't beat it to the punch. That said I can't wait to play around with Virtual Desktop.

I'll be picking up an LG 34UC98 21:9 curved 34" 1440p monitor soon. I've spent €600 on PC's in the last 11 years. The last 'uber' PC I bought was a Dell XPS and 2405FPW monitor in 2005. (I'm still using the monitor 11 years later.) 2016 is the year I balance the spending out by going absolutely MAD!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I see the emptiness of the case now :L No harm. I'm currently trying to hold myself back from leaping on a 1080. I know it's going to happen, but I am going to hold back until at least I can see some reviews. My 760 is really chugging in overwatch for some reason. Gonna push it a bit harder for the next 2 months and we'll see how she goes :D

Edit: I mean third party card reviews. I know the awesomeness of the 1080 FE editions already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Calibos wrote:
    Something very important missing from this photo

Beer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement