Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Fenton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

listening to tony a long time . I remember as a teenager tuning in each weekday night around 7pm on 2fm . was a great show . hope he s getting better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I remember he started on 2FM the weekend Bruce Springsteen played Slane

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just reading Tony's wiki page and Jesus since 2010 it really has been rough for him on a personal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I first heard Tony Fenton on Dublin superpirate Sunshine Radio in the first half of the '80s. He had a style of broadcasting which was quite popular amongst certain Dublin pirate deejays at that time. Essentially, Tony and some of his contemporaries sounded like they came from Dublin via North America... the "mid-Atlantic" accent! Some of these, including Tony, successfully pulled off that bizarre style of broadcasting with a most professional delivery.

What made Tony Fenton different was that he did not drop his developed radio persona as time went on, unlike others of his contemporaries that continued in broadcasting. In so doing, Tony's style became a unique identifying point.

Another thing that I particularly recall about Tony Fenton was his stint on the "Hot Line" during his many years with 2FM. He would ring someone up and shout into the phone: "YOU'RE THE WINNER!" It was both amusing and irritating at the same time!

I have not heard much of Tony in recent years since he joined Today FM. However, on those occasions I did hear him he was the consummate professional - a much more mellow, mature Tony Fenton who did not feel the need to shout anymore! There were times in the past I found his style of broadcasting hard on the ears, but not in recent years!

Over the last couple of years, Tony has displayed very admirable qualities in his tenacity and resilience in overcoming personal difficulties, such as financial problems and his initial battle with cancer. I wish Tony the best and hope he beats the "Big C", once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

When did he delete his twitter?

• Advertisement

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    When did he delete his twitter?

He hasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He hasn't.

My bad, don't know what I clicked on earlier so but the link wasn't found

If the changes are taking effect on Sept 1st, it looks like next week will be the final week of the "Tony Fenton show" and all references to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I assume if he beats his cancer and is able to do a show again he'll get a weekend show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Synode wrote: »
    I assume if he beats his cancer and is able to do a show again he'll get a weekend show

I have noticed that most Today fm presenters who loose their own slot always come back doing cover work, I can think of Tim Kelly, Martin King and Derek Flood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I have noticed that most Today fm presenters who loose their own slot always come back doing cover work, I can think of Tim Kelly, Martin King and Derek Flood.

And Phil-in Cawley. He had his own afternoon gig for years before Foley / Fenton came along. He seems to be on every day these days whether he's covering for Tony or Ian Dempsey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

JoeA3 wrote: »
    And Phil-in Cawley. He had his own afternoon gig for years before Foley / Fenton came along. He seems to be on every day these days whether he's covering for Tony or Ian Dempsey.
    I was going to mention him too. Imo the most patronising man on radio.
    Can't figure out how he held onto that afternoon show for so long, and how i listened to him for so long.
    I used to be a diehard today fm listener but now all I'm left with since K.C and Fenton are gone and since Darcy became exhausting is Dempsey.
    I might try D&D in two weeks but I actually think there's some genuine craic on the Jenny Greene show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I love Phil on Friday Night 80's and his weekend stuff. Not really a fan of him doing cover work, but I think that's mainly because it's not his show he's doing, if y'know what I mean?

It'll be really sad if/when this change happens. I'd only gotten back into Tony's show earlier this year after an absence when I wasn't listening to radio regularly. He was one of the few remaining DJ's with prominent (read: national) shows that seem to genuinely like music. I love his slick style of presenting which you don't really hear any more in the era of duos and more relaxed radio.

All of that's irrelevant though. What matters is that he seems like a genuinely nice guy and it's just awful what he's going through. Sincerely hope to hear him on the air again some day.

Part of me hopes we're all reading too much into this absence and Tony'll just appear back on the air next Monday as if nothing's happened...

I don't think Tony's repetitive choice of music is reflective of his music interest or knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Does anyone actually know what has happened or is it just guess work? I've Googled him over and over and can't find anything but he is a very private person so can't imagine his health being discussed unless he brings it up himself - which of course is the way it should be.

I really hope he pulls through if it is cancer - I miss him on the air.

hcass wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know what has happened or is it just guess work? I've Googled him over and over and can't find anything but he is a very private person so can't imagine his health being discussed unless he brings it up himself - which of course is the way it should be.

I really hope he pulls through if it is cancer - I miss him on the air.

He was on the late late show and the last word last year talking about his cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He was on the late late show and the last word last year talking about his cancer.

Yeah but he was also on the radio working at those times too, its worrying that he hasn't been on the radio in ages.

It's nice of Today Fm to keep the Tony Fenton show going with Louise Duffy. Though she apparently tweeted herself recently that she was getting an new primetime slot.

I think Today Fm have handled this Issue badly, Saying Louise is getting an new primetime show and also saying she is comming back to fill in for tony for a couple of weeks. I wonder why they didn't just bring D & D in back in april when kc left ?

I had said to one of the lads in work that louise duffy was staying on prime time as he would listen to todayfm and know the presenters. He told me that Louise's profile is not on the today fm anymore today. It's not been handled badly but it's not that great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Tony Fenton won a PPI Radio Hall of Fame award today. Nice to see him being rewarded

https://www.facebook.com/todayfm

10639524_10152391895377568_4968054818490681140_n.jpg?oh=8529cd33c169f7cdeae2ae937b9c35b6&oe=54865B0D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Tony was on phil Cawley show today as he poppedin to wish their producer a happy maternity leave.
    I was delighted to hear that tony sounded in great form and said he hoped to be back on air in early November .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

I worked with Tony in the old days of 2FM. I wish him best of luck and hope gets better soon. He's a great guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I worked with Tony in the old days of 2FM. I wish him best of luck and hope gets better soon. He's a great guy.

Certainly let's hope he's back for the long haul this time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

Louise is still on, and I heard her today saying she's doing some 7 week challenge thing with listeners I think, does that mean Tony wont be back for at least 7 weeks? or is he being moved to another slot assuming he's coming back in November as previously mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 81,470 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

patrickc wrote: »
    Louise is still on, and I heard her today saying she's doing some 7 week challenge thing with listeners I think, does that mean Tony wont be back for at least 7 weeks? or is he being moved to another slot assuming he's coming back in November as previously mentioned

Perhaps, that would take the show up to the new year, probably a good time for him to make a fresh return to his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He said on twitter recently that he expects to be back in November, he didn't give an exact date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'd prefer if Louise got 2:30 - 4:30 and Tony got a couple of weekend shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Synode wrote: »
    I'd prefer if Louise got 2:30 - 4:30 and Tony got a couple of weekend shows

Exactly, Tony's show was jaded and needed to be moved on. I don't particularly like Louise Duffy and I can't stand Ann but I listen to the show because the music choices are consistently good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement