Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,632 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was stuck on what to get a NUC or a monitor.

Decided to get the Samsung S34E790C. Reading reviews and owners replies about this monitor made my mind up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Current front-runner for a new monitor is the 29 inch version of that. Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

would hdmi over ethernet be a viable option instead of building a htpc?
    No need for any raspi/chromecast/roku/nas/whatever just download plex home theatre, run ethernet&hdmi to the tv and it's done?

good / bad idea?

plex app would be the remote.. can't see any other downside other than the pc being on all the time.. but outside of that there'd still need to be a nas setup, and tbh the saved money would buy more internal hard drives on the main pc.. and have them all accessible at sata speeds.

Obviously the scalability of chromecasts is nice because you just keep buying them for tvs, but what if you went one further with the above idea and ran a number of virtual machines, and used several outputs from the gpu to send hdmi over ethernet to all the tvs...!
    No transcoding or anything, with whatever 10/12/24 bit colour from hdmi etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Would anyone here have any idea where I could get my hands on some PETG tubing for watercooling. Only seems to be available from Primochill in the US.

Im sure it must be used for something over here.........

Probably could have got it from Specialtech... :(

Quick look and I can't find much. I take it something like this isn't on the cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

So i sold my 680 for €200 (3 years old with 2 years left on warranty)

Bought one of the OcUK 780ti's for €360.

I will be gaming at 1200p.

For €160 did i make a good choice as i'm thinking maybe i should have bought a 970.

The extra 500mb aside, i am thinking it should be OK for the likes of GTA5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

780ti is still a good card,unless your limited by vram,which as you point out could also be a problem on a 970 so much the same on that front.

Will also support DX12,Shadow Play. So only really better power consumption,MFAA and DSR that the 970 has that the 780ti does not . Had to make this decision awhile back myself. Went for a 970,im quite happy with the card but i dont think i would have regretted getting a 780ti either at that price. Hopefully you got a good chip and can overclock the crap out of it,you will be maxing 90% of games at 1200p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Also had the same choice recently, went with the 970 myself. Don't think you made an error though either, 780Ti is a solid card and a big upgrade from a 680, which is more or less a 770.

EoinHef wrote:
    780ti is still a good card,unless your limited by vram,which as you point out could also be a problem on a 970 so much the same on that front.

Also had the same choice recently, went with the 970 myself. Don't think you made an error though either, 780Ti is a solid card and a big upgrade from a 680, which is more or less a 770.

Cheers lads. I was not even planning to upgrade, but I thought with gta5 incoming time for a small upgrade.

The days of €500+ cards for me is hard to justify.

If I get two years out of it I'll be happy :)

• Advertisement

Was looking at OCUK earlier, BFG special edition Titan X is almost 2K.

If I was lucky enough, I honestly still can't fathom that even with unlimited funds, why I would go for such a card. For about 50% of the cost Sli 980 is faster and cheaper, even if you were desperate to wield your e-penis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Serephucus wrote: »
    Probably could have got it from Specialtech... :(

Quick look and I can't find much. I take it something like this isn't on the cards?

Thanks hadnt actually checked there.

Alphacool seem to to PETG tubing also but I dont see that on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Was looking at OCUK earlier, BFG special edition Titan X is almost 2K.

If I was lucky enough, I honestly still can't fathom that even with unlimited funds, why I would go for such a card. For about 50% of the cost Sli 980 is faster and cheaper, even if you were desperate to wield your e-penis.

Might wanna pay closer attention to the release date of that BFG card. ;):D

Very tempted by the Titan X myself for the sole reason of having a more consistant framerate. I've found that games such as Far Cry 4/Dragon Age have poor SLI profiles and have some microstutter that I'm sensitive to, even with a Gsync monitor. Reverting to a single card (original Titan) all but eliminated that stutter and made for a more enjoyable experience.

Firstly I'm gonna wait for one of those 34" UltraWide gsync monitors to come out and then I'll see what I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Well even at the prices, apparently demand is still very high:
    Even though Nvidia Corp.’s latest high-end graphics card costs more than its predecessors in Europe, demand for the graphics adapter is surprisingly high. According to a German retailer, customers are getting more GeForce GTX Titan X graphics cards than previous-generation products of the same class.

“The demand exceeds the available [hardware],” said a spokesperson of CaseKing.de in an interview with ComputerBase web-site. “We have already [sold] impressive numbers and we are getting new [GeForce GTX Titan X] to the warehouse.”

Mind Factory, another reseller from Germany, confirmed that sales figures of the GeForce GTX Titan X are higher than shipment figures of the original GeForce GTX Titan.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/demand-for-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-is-unexpectedly-high/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

Monotype wrote: »

The problem is that they say “We have already [sold] impressive numbers" - how much is this, 2,5 or 100?

• Advertisement

So Microsoft launched the Surface 3 today. (Not to be confused with the Surface Pro 3)

Basically: 10.8" (1920x1280 3:2) display, 2/4GB RAM, 64/128GB storage, all the stuff the Pro has, looks very much like it externally. The only thing it doesn't have is the pen (sold separately), or the full-range kickstand. This one is a three position yoke.

All of this for $499. Or €609 for Europe. Bull.

Guys, what is a general opinion on those logitech G930 wireless headsets? I am looking for a wireless headset for PC, but if it works with ps4, its only a bonus.

Thing is I found a lot off mixed reviews about g930. Any alternatives for similar price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Guys, what is a general opinion on those logitech G930 wireless headsets? I am looking for a wireless headset for PC, but if it works with ps4, its only a bonus.

Thing is I found a lot off mixed reviews about g930. Any alternatives for similar price?
    I've had mine for about 3 years now. I love mine. I've had it replaced once as I was getting a buzzing sound while I was charging it but the customer service from them was exceptional. Replaced it without needing me to send the other one back, which I still use on my PS4 since it still works. :D

Really comfortable. A full charge lasts about 7-9 hours for me.
    Range on them is really good. Can easily go from the sitting room, into the kitchen/bedrooms. They only lose signal for me when I reach the other end of my fairly long apartment.
    Once a day or so you'll have them drop signal sitting at your computer but it's completely forgiveable.
    They can be used on the PS4, but only as a stereo headset. You simply plug the same dongle that you use on your PC into the usb slot on the PS4.

Just my 2cents

I've had mine for about 3 years now. I love mine. I've had it replaced once as I was getting a buzzing sound while I was charging it but the customer service from them was exceptional. Replaced it without needing me to send the other one back, which I still use on my PS4 since it still works. :D

Really comfortable. A full charge lasts about 7-9 hours for me.
    Range on them is really good. Can easily go from the sitting room, into the kitchen/bedrooms. They only lose signal for me when I reach the other end of my fairly long apartment.
    Once a day or so you'll have them drop signal sitting at your computer but it's completely forgiveable.
    They can be used on the PS4, but only as a stereo headset. You simply plug the same dongle that you use on your PC into the usb slot on the PS4.

Just my 2cents

They are digital 7.1? I heard you better off with digital, then actual 7.1 speaker setup as its better to have 2 good speakers, then lots of ****y ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

For the day that's in it, techpowerup have reviewed-and overclocked-a vibrator. Only thing missing is temps :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

So I ****ed up. That g930 went up in price again. I needed to buy it yesterday...

Anyway, did some research and looks like best options out there are G930 , Z300 and Corsair H2100. Now I need to monitor internet like a hawk and snap a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

6 months from now I'll be all over one of them.

When I can get a 512GB one for around €250, I'll absolutely pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

Any good priced for a 2TB SATA desktop drive atm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Looking for some help. Trying to do a fresh install of win 7. I've erased my drive but when using the USB to boot from I get this message after installation starts
    "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
    Error code: 0x80070570"

Is this a problem with the iso I used maybe?
    Anyone point me in the direction of a win 7 iso because Microsoft have stop providing them.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

A better gauge would have Battlefield 4 online. I know they never use it because it's impossible to replicate benchmarks online, but single player benchmarks are essentially worthless.

Most games are GPU bound, I did benchmarks a while ago with a 60 euro G3258 and a GTX980 that showed this. One of the few games that really set it apart from faster processors was 64 player BF4.

Not an unreasonable benchmark given that it and Hardline (and the upcoming Battlefront) dominate a huge part of the hardware intensive market.

Looking for the name of a tool that selects all the programs you want to add after a fresh is install.
    Any help is much appreciate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

MRTULES wrote: »
    Looking for the name of a tool that selects all the programs you want to add after a fresh is install.
    Any help is much appreciate

https://ninite.com/

Most games are GPU bound, I did benchmarks a while ago with a 60 euro G3258 and a GTX980 that showed this. One of the few games that really set it apart from faster processors was 64 player BF4.

And Star Citizen. Went from 13 FPS to 40 going from a 3258 to a 4790K. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Looking for some help. Trying to do a fresh install of win 7. I've erased my drive but when using the USB to boot from I get this message after installation starts
    "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
    Error code: 0x80070570"

Is this a problem with the iso I used maybe?
    Anyone point me in the direction of a win 7 iso because Microsoft have stop providing them.

Thanks in advance.

A google of that error code leads me to believe it is an issue with Windows not recognising your hardware. Plenty of possible solutions out there, give it a google.

So the 780ti from OcUK has been delayed.

I am thinking about just going for a 970 and have made up my mind on the Giga 970 G1 (it just fits in to my case (FT-02) with 1cm to spare from a picture on OCN)

Amazon have it cheapest at £297 but not in stock until the 18th.

HWS have it in stock at around the same price.

You guys always recommend them but are they a hassle to deal with sending back stuff? In the last 10 years i have always bought from the UK

Do they pay the postage costs for RMA?

Cheers lads. I need a card for GTA5 as i sold my 680 :P

Thanks in advance.

The guys from the OcUK use this site (not used it myself)

http://46.165.222.204/Windows%207/Eng/

or using microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Thanks for the help guys. Got it sorted. Not sure which one fixed it but it was either resetting the BIOS or removing a stick of ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I ordered 64gb of corsair 2133mhz ddr3 on ebay over the weekend.. for 250 euro, but the seller cancelled due to a pricing error (no ****).

Pity they can cancel like that really, but that's the way I suppose

Linus is having a fun day clearly:

https://instagram.com/p/1eMqreSbGq/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,632 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pity its seagate

• Advertisement

You know you're doing well when you can fill a whole server with SSDs.

Headshot wrote: »
    Pity its seagate

Meh, Backblazes tests werent done fairly and when you're working on that scale you dont really care about the odd failure. LMG can definitely afford replacement drives, and I'm sure they can get a fair few freebies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Is there such thing as a no bshiiiit attached driver updater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Argh, screw UPS

The receiver is not listed in the building directory. We are attempting to update this information. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

Anyone run into that before? I rang them up and it`ll be Monday before I get my goodies now ( Hopefully )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

A question about on-board motherboard raid for ye who use it as I am a complete beginner at it.

I have an ASUS Maximus VII Ranger which claims to have Raid capabilities on up to 4 sata ports(of the 6 on board). And I currently have 4 ports free. Plotting on using using this to store my DVD's and try and set it up to stream to TV's around the house via Home Plugs. The PC is currently running Windows 7 with an i5 cpu.

Is it possible to throw 3 HDDs(say 3TB for 6TB) in Raid 5 now and then a 4th later to expand the capacity to 9TB or must I put all 4 in from the start?

If/When a drive fails and Can I replace the failed drive with a higher capacity one (say 5TB when price drops) and later when all 4 are at the higher capacity will I get the new Storage Limit (15TB) or the old Storage Limit (9TB) because tat is what I set it at when setting it up.

To help me Calculate what storage I need, what is the file size Approx of say a 2hr 1080 DVD file?

Which format(s) are generally the best to convert DVD's to?

And finally what programs should I be looking at to Convert the DVD's to say MP4?

Thanks and sorry about all the questions, I like to troubleshoot before I start something so I may have more questions after the answers.

As a general rule, unless you're using a software layer like FlexRAID (which you should for media and stuff like that; give it a Google) you're stuck with whatever you throw in at the start. I'm not as familiar with it as I used to be, as I haven't used hardware RAID in a few years, but last time I checked it was pretty strict.

As for movies... It depends. You can rip a movie to a 2GB file, but the quality won't be great. For a blu-ray, with 5.1 audio, I'd aim to for at least ~2GB/hour.

MKV is a really nice container. It lets you store as many steams as you want. So with most of my movies, I have:

1080p video stream
    5.1 DTS audio stream, 2.0 AAC stream,
    foreign subtitles (if any), English hard-of-hearing subtitles (just in case)

Handbrake is probably the handiest one. There's lot of documentation on how to use it best as well.

• Advertisement

First off, RAID5 isnt a good option any more. Especially not with larger disks like you're thinking. Asking for pain. Mobo raid is pretty limited most of the time, and expanding arrays often isnt easy or even possible.

Software RAID has its limits too, ZFS etc are nice, but you can't do that under windows like Flexraid above, but its a really good option for a pure NAS build. Windows software RAID doesnt come well recommended at all. Assume theres no budged for a RAID card?

Encoding wise, H265 might be a thing soon enough, worth looking at. Compression is about 2x for the same quality as 264 (pretty amazing) but right now encoding is REALLY slow. Like really really slow. With optimization though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Thanks very much lads, looks like it is not plain sailing. I have not ruled anything out, I am trying to get a handle on what maybe needed for media storage and streaming on a W7 PC.

What would ye recommend?

Hey guys,

Have had a problem with my PSU for a number of months now. There is an audible clicking noise that comes and goes.

Hope this link works:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8XCldMV-NUBeTlab1hDRHFScGs/view?usp=sharing

For about a year I had thought it was my graphics cards but now the noise is still happening after replacing them. Might happen for 15 minutes straight every few hours, or constantly on and off every 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Sounds like the psu/case fan either catching off something or the bearing of it.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Sounds like the psu/case fan either catching off something or the bearing of it.

Nothing catching the fan since it is facing the floor.. must be the bearing :(

Either way on a positive note; Seasonic are fantastic to deal with so far. Sent them an email asking for suggestions and described what I was hearing. 3 minutes later I had a staff member email me asking me to fill out an RMA. I replied back asking if it would be possible to arrange for a replacement to be sent to me before I return mine, and again a few minutes later they responded.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement