Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan O'Connor's most embarrassing moments

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I absolutely love Brendan O Connor, went to the Saturday night show twice and had a really good time and Brendan's really nice, he stays around after the show and meets and takes photos with people, My friend and I got our photo taken with him, hes lovely.

Il miss the Saturday night show now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

That's great that he loves his kids, 99% of parents do.
    The medical cards thing was well known, O'Connor has never been and will never be an investigative journalist, he's just an opinion writer, he's no different that that O'Doherty lad. Just loud noises from a person who's been told all his life that he's something special.

The Donal Walshe interview was feckin disgusting. Complete exploitation by RTE on the poor chap. Cashing in on a chap that was dying. And his anti-suicide stance was just plain weird, raised-by-strict-Catholics weird.

As for Panti, if you're seriously suggesting that one interview lead to Ireland voting Yes then you're very much mistaken. O'Conner's ratings simply aren't that high. And to even suggest otherwise is just plain wrong. The only thing the Panti interview did was make Iona look even move devious, while also lining their pockets and highlighting that RTE are a shower of p!ssies for paying out instead of fighting the charge to the highest courts.

It doesn't matter whether he's an investigative journalist, his sharing his own experience and bringing that experience to bear in his interviews did a lot to forward several important causes. The medical card thing took a turn after that interview, so did the education provision for children with DS.

Donal Walshes interview was the fulfillment of his dying wish. He had written about his desire to get that message out before he was on tv. It moved a lot of people. Say what you like the facts also stood for themselves, suicides in Kerry st least dropped in the months following the interview. There are most likely a few people alive now that wouldn't have been without it. Even if it's just one, that young man gave of his time and energy to to do that willingly, one was a success.

If you think that Iona losing credibility during that interview didn't influence the debate in the run up to the referendum you're dreaming. It wasn't all good in my opinion, the fact that people couldn't express an opinion on the no side without being met with hhostility and being called homophobe wasn't a good thing in my view. I do think that interview changed what was considered acceptable conversation on the issue though and went quite a way towards influencing the outcome too.

Just letting yourself down there..
    I apologise for using the word idiot, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Well you'd be an idiot if that was so.
    Brendan's openness about his daughters disability, the columns he's writen, guests he's chosen to have on his show and his sensitive treatment of them have actually gone along way towards actually changing things for the better for people right across Ireland.

He was the first person to highlight the scandal of medical cards being taken from seriously ill children and illustrate through an interview how devastating that was to real everyday families. That interview was quite pivotal in getting public momentum behind the issue and have cards reinstated to families and the rules looked at again.

His article about his own daughters experience trying to access special needs help in schools for mild to moderately disabled children with Downs was also the first time it was highlighted and it proved the catalyst for the dept of ed increasing educational provision for children in those situations.

Those things changed lives!

Then the Donal Walshe interview was some of the powerful tv we've seen in years and suicides in his home country did drop after it. The Panti interview changed the conversation on gay marriage and gay rights too. I think the whole referendum might have been quite different if that hadn't happened.

Those are all issues and ordinary people that would never have got an airing on other Irish shows and if they had they wouldn't have got the kind of sensitive treatment that would have actually changed thing.

I think he'll be a real loss to Irish tv and that the platform for ordinary people will be a loss to.

I think the SNS with BO'C provided a good, entertaining and intelligent chatshow 90% of the time. Even with poor guests, he was able to get the best out of them and he always tried to deliver an entertaining show. Far superior to other chatshows of its times like Tubridy's LLS and Pat Kenny's The Frontline (which were too silly and too serious/depressing respectively). The SNS successfully combined serious discussion with entertainment very well.

BO'C's versatility shone throughout as well. Up until he presented the show, he was known mostly as a comedian and involved in things like You're a Star. But the SNS showed his range was much bigger than that and proved to be a much better presenter than his contemporaries like Tubridy and Kenny were doing on their shows at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Didn't the woman in that video also say she wasn't playing any shows in Ireland straight after he said it or did I hear wrong?
    rubadub wrote: »
    Sounded like she was about to say it before him.

He says something like "any gigs around ireland"

shes says "some in belfast, but none in, in, in"
    and he finishes off her sentence "none in ireland"

Then she does say "none in ireland" which would confirm she was about to say it

He asked her if she was performing in Ireland. She replied that she was doing gigs in Belfast. Why mention Belfast? If it's not in Ireland, then mentioning Belfast is about as relevant as saying she has gigs coming up in Douglas, Isle of Man.

He finished her sentence for her. She could've have been saying "none in the rest of Ireland" or "none in Dublin" or "none in Kildare" (her home county) or "none in the Republic".

He's the one who said "none in Ireland".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He asked her if she was performing in Ireland. She replied that she was doing gigs in Belfast. Why mention Belfast? If it's not in Ireland, then mentioning Belfast is about as relevant as saying she has gigs coming up in Douglas, Isle of Man.

He finished her sentence for her. She could've have been saying "none in the rest of Ireland" or "none in Dublin" or "none in Kildare" (her home county) or "none in the Republic".

He's the one who said "none in Ireland".

And then she says "I'm afraid all my Aunties will turn up if I do one in, in Ireland"

If you're going to start a thread slating someone then do it right, material isn't exactly lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Those fcuking cringe moments at the beginning of his show where he pathetically tries to be humerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

FFS!
    He's not too bad as a presenter and the show had its good moments.

Did none of you actually get that asking Aodhan to remove the pin was most likely a somewhat unsubtle, but clever, way of getting a good dig into RTE management and BAI over regulation over how he and the show were treated over PantiGate.?!

It highlighted how ridiculous the regulations are and went viral.

Whoosh - over some people's heads I suspect...

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Did none of you actually get that asking Aodhan to remove the pin was most likely a somewhat unsubtle, but clever, way of getting a good dig into RTE management and BAI over regulation over how he and the show were treated over PantiGate.?!

Whoosh - over some people's heads I suspect...

(a) There are other prepositions you can use besides "over", you know?

(b) I think you're giving him far too much credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

(a) There are other prepositions you can use besides "over", you know?

(b) I think you're giving him far too much credit.

Clap, clap! You can count!

(It's a comment on a forum posted on a phone in the wee hours of the morning, not a carefully worded letter to the Irish Times)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭GaryTLynch

The sooner this failed comedian leaves our screens, the BETTER!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

My problem wasn't whether or not it's factually correct to say that Belfast isn't in Ireland. My problem was with him finishing her sentence for her, when we don't know what she was going to say (see post #35).

Saying that she has "[no shows] in Ireland" directly after she mentions having shows in Belfast makes her look like a fucking idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

I think rte should be the ones that are embarrassed giving him the job.

Maybe slightly ott but his Bertie loving back in the day seems to be like it never happened. He also is an ardent anti public sector cheerleader.

Probably an ok fella but not as a presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Always looked like someone not cut out for the job of being a presenter. Anytime I've ever seen him on that show I've had to turn it off. He's not good at it. It's awkward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The Panti interview changed the conversation on gay marriage and gay rights too. I think the whole referendum might have been quite different if that hadn't happened.

You are joking me!

While in retrospective things turned out ok and if pantigate hadn't happened nobel call wouldn't have happened...but for a while things looked pretty awful for Rory O'Neill.

RTE had paid out very quickly, and rory was being personally sued. And caused by Brenda imo. He ASKED and pushed rory to NAME the people. Rory said oh you know them from the Iona amd brennan again pushed him to actually say the names. What kind of broadcaster does that??? And what kind of organisation accepts that from the host and apologises the week after and blames the guest.

If I was rte brennan should've been taken off the air or taken off live TV after that - as he is just too much of a risk. He really showed his inexperience.

And frankly his uselessness "yeah, so eh, come here to me".
    Finishing guests sentences??? What kind of presenter does that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I never read his newspaper articles but based on what I see of him on the TV I wouldn't be in a rush to...

That Saturday night show was car crash TV. From the poorly delivered unfunny monologues at the start that saw him laughing along to his own jokes with more gusto then anyone in the audience or at home for that matter...Q the sound of a pin dropping ! to his absolutely tactless and clumsy nature when it came to interviewing people. Not cut out for the gig. Seemed like a bit of an asshole too. One would want to be fairly hard up for something to do on a Saturday night to tune into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

BO'C's versatility shone throughout as well.

You've got to be kidding me,

Any time I had the misfortune to endure his particular crudfest, he came across as a lumpen oaf with about as much range as a Sinclair C5.
    amdublin wrote: »

^^^
    This

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

At least it was a bit more alternative than the Late Late. I imagine D'Arcy's show will be heavy on the sob stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

amdublin wrote: »
    You are joking me!

While in retrospective things turned out ok and if pantigate hadn't happened nobel call wouldn't have happened...but for a while things looked pretty awful for Rory O'Neill.

RTE had paid out very quickly, and rory was being personally sued. And caused by Brenda imo. He ASKED and pushed rory to NAME the people. Rory said oh you know them from the Iona amd brennan again pushed him to actually say the names. What kind of broadcaster does that??? And what kind of organisation accepts that from the host and apologises the week after and blames the guest.

If I was rte brennan should've been taken off the air or taken off live TV after that - as he is just too much of a risk. He really showed his inexperience.

This whole Pantigate thing was the lowest point of the show as far as I am concerned. Perhaps, this may be the reason Brendan is not going to do the show anymore? Which would be unfair. Every chatshow host pushes their guests to answer questions and the rivalry between the protagonists in this sorry affair was there already.

This was the proverbial storm in a teacup that took on a life of its own. A huge issue was made of it and imo lead to the death of this show. Which is a pity. It was the most infamous teacup storm since tweetgate ended another (inferior) chatshow. But having contentious issues on a show will always lead to something like this happening. Panti and the Iona people are all very much opposed to each other and I think we have seen our fair share of all of them over the past year and a half.

Advertisement