Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan O'Connor's most embarrassing moments

Options
  • 01-06-2015 5:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

So, with his TV show coming to an end after a whopping five and a half years (take that, David Letterman), what do people think were some of Brendan O'Connor's most embarrassing moments?

Obviously, there was him interrupting a guest mid-sentence to tell him to remove a barely-visible pin from his jacket with the word 'Yes' on it (which, no matter what anyone says, makes no sense as Aodhán Ó Ríordáin was not and is not a paid full-time or freelance staff member at RTÉ).

My own personal pet peeve was telling Aisling Bea that, although she had gigs in Belfast, she had no upcoming shows "in Ireland" (not a Shinnerbot, but it seemed disrespectful to contradict a guest, especially considering the tens of thousands of Irish passport holders born and reared in Belfast).

Any others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

calling himself a TV presenter..

he is proof that magic mirrors lie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As soon as he opened his mouth....

Talentless, obnoxious, boring....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Didn't the woman in that video also say she wasn't playing any shows in Ireland straight after he said it or did I hear wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

His Sunday Independent column.

All of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Trev De rev

https://youtu.be/gX8xE_cqh1M maybe this starts about a minute in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭redandwhite

All of them.

Even the ones where he argues for the rights of people with special needs, like his daughter?

Or the one where he eloquently expresses his love for that daughter?

We obviously have different ideas of what's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

All of them.

99% of them. The 1% speaking about his experience as a father are intelligent and insightful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

His birth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

The Pussy Riot interview. Hardcore feminists just out of the Gulag.
    Referred to them as girls, asked what they think of Madonna and is she a freedom fighter like them.
    Cringefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Didn't the woman in that video also say she wasn't playing any shows in Ireland straight after he said it or did I hear wrong?
    Sounded like she was about to say it before him.

He says something like "any gigs around ireland"

shes says "some in belfast, but none in, in, in"
    and he finishes off her sentence "none in ireland"

Then she does say "none in ireland" which would confirm she was about to say it, no contradiction. The way the OP said it I was expecting something totally different.

Anytime I see a photo of him he looks like a sneering prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Even the ones where he argues for the rights of people with special needs, like his daughter?

Fair enough. Just the ones I read then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Why all the hate for Brendan? He's certainly a more capable interviewer than most of the other lot in the RTE stable. He does have a very kickable face in fairness, and his accent can be grating on the ears,but seems a decent sort from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭dirtyden

His Fianna Fail cheer leading every sunday in the indo was certainly embarrassing, and then his volte face without ever referencing the many years of cheer leading without any lack of embarrassment on his behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Any of the awful monologues delivered at the start of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Couldn't give less of a ****e about BOC but Aisling Bea is the single most beautiful woman in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Yeah we do, I'd be very embarrassed to write a newspaper column telling randomers how much i love my daughters!!

Don't mind telling ye though,

I LOVE MY BABIES LOADS!! XXXX

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Better show than the late late in fairness

That's not saying much

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Give me 10 minutes on the toilet after a chicken madras the night before and ill produce a better show than the Late Late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Who's in the house, Jesus in the house!!!

(20+posts in and it hasn't been mentioned!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

heldel00 wrote: »
    (20+posts in and it hasn't been mentioned!)

For good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Laoislion8383

The whole 5 and a half years, but even still it was better than the late late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yeah we do, I'd be very embarrassed to write a newspaper column telling randomers how much i love my daughters!!

Don't mind telling ye though,

I LOVE MY BABIES LOADS!! XXXX

Well you'd be an idiot if that was so.
    Brendan's openness about his daughters disability, the columns he's writen, guests he's chosen to have on his show and his sensitive treatment of them have actually gone along way towards actually changing things for the better for people right across Ireland.

He was the first person to highlight the scandal of medical cards being taken from seriously ill children and illustrate through an interview how devastating that was to real everyday families. That interview was quite pivotal in getting public momentum behind the issue and have cards reinstated to families and the rules looked at again.

His article about his own daughters experience trying to access special needs help in schools for mild to moderately disabled children with Downs was also the first time it was highlighted and it proved the catalyst for the dept of ed increasing educational provision for children in those situations.

Those things changed lives!

Then the Donal Walshe interview was some of the powerful tv we've seen in years and suicides in his home country did drop after it. The Panti interview changed the conversation on gay marriage and gay rights too. I think the whole referendum might have been quite different if that hadn't happened.

Those are all issues and ordinary people that would never have got an airing on other Irish shows and if they had they wouldn't have got the kind of sensitive treatment that would have actually changed thing.

I think he'll be a real loss to Irish tv and that the platform for ordinary people will be a loss to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Just letting yourself down there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Brendan's openness about his daughters disability, the columns he's writen, guests he's chosen to have on his show and his sensitive treatment of them have actually gone along way towards actually changing things for the better for people right across Ireland.

He was the first person to highlight the scandal of medical cards being taken from seriously ill children and illustrate through an interview how devastating that was to real everyday families. That interview was quite pivotal in getting public momentum behind the issue and have cards reinstated to families and the rules looked at again.

His article about his own daughters experience trying to access special needs help in schools for mild to moderately disabled children with Downs was also the first time it was highlighted and it proved the catalyst for the dept of ed increasing educational provision for children in those situations.

Those things changed lives!

Then the Donal Walshe interview was some of the powerful tv we've seen in years and suicides in his home country did drop after it. The Panti interview changed the conversation on gay marriage and gay rights too. I think the whole referendum might have been quite different if that hadn't happened.

Those are all issues and ordinary people that would never have got an airing on other Irish shows and if they had they wouldn't have got the kind of sensitive treatment that would have actually changed thing.

I think he'll be a real loss to Irish tv and that the platform for ordinary people will be a loss to.

That's great that he loves his kids, 99% of parents do.
    The medical cards thing was well known, O'Connor has never been and will never be an investigative journalist, he's just an opinion writer, he's no different that that O'Doherty lad. Just loud noises from a person who's been told all his life that he's something special.

The Donal Walshe interview was feckin disgusting. Complete exploitation by RTE on the poor chap. Cashing in on a chap that was dying. And his anti-suicide stance was just plain weird, raised-by-strict-Catholics weird.

As for Panti, if you're seriously suggesting that one interview lead to Ireland voting Yes then you're very much mistaken. O'Conner's ratings simply aren't that high. And to even suggest otherwise is just plain wrong. The only thing the Panti interview did was make Iona look even move devious, while also lining their pockets and highlighting that RTE are a shower of p!ssies for paying out instead of fighting the charge to the highest courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

While on occasions I use to dip in and out of his show I stopped watching it in earnest a couple of years ago. Back then it was like watching a lovely girls contest and I thought he was very patronising the way he talked to women. Mysoginistic is the word I would have used for him. IMO as a TV presenter he makes Ryan Tubridy look like Jeremy Paxman. I know I'm going to get slated for that.

For the sake of Boards though its a pity RTE didnt keep him in that slot cause if Ray D'arcys radio thread is anything to go by, Boards is going to go into cardiac arrest with alot of angry people giving out when Ray takes Brendans seat!!

I'm sure he's a decent man all the same and wish him well but he's not my cup of tea.

Anyway I think he's getting a mid-week slot so his supporters should be happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Excruciatingly embarrassing.
    Every second of it.

I had listened to earlier interviews of Noel Gallagher and I was actually looking forward to watching him on the the Sat night. Genuinely thought Brendan O Connor couldn't muck that up - was I wrong....

cringe city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

When they let Linda Martin sing a cover of Get Lucky.

It was the worst thing that has ever happened and it happened on his watch. Shameful.

Advertisement