Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westwood Gym Prices

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

HI,

I was thinking of joining up with Westwood in Clontarf and wanted to know has anyone joined up recently and how much did membership cost??

Would like to join here because of their range of facilities, parking and its on the way into work which helps..

I requested a brochure from their website but all they do is ring you back wanting to set up an appointment to meet with someone which I don't want. I just want to know prices if anyone can help me
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

It's 75 euro a month for full membership and I think 55 a month for off-peak or student membership.
    Also there is usually a joining fee of 75 - 99 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

wow...75 a month is steep, id be wanting someone to do the workout for me at that price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Sorry for a minute I thought I was in 2006, somebody said joining fee...I was mistaken surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I remember looking to join and they won't give prices over the phone. Put me off totally and they do the patethic pitch where they can waiver the joining fee or reduce it but only of you join today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Very nice facilities, the joining fee is a joke though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I also think that the off peak prices have been scraped as well.

I agree the joining fee is a joke, but difficult enough to get them to waive it. No shortage of people signing up which is I guess why they continue to get away charging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I don't know anyone who has managed to get the joining fee waived completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublinsoon

Would €55 - €75 per month be typical for a good gym in Dublin? Seems expensive!

Does anyone know the prices for Westwood Sandymount?

The membership fee is the same in all Westwood gyms. If you are a member of one you can use the others.

50 - 75 is probably average for big gyms with decent facilities, but there are cheaper and more expensive options. Depends what facilities you want/ need and the location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Its a leisure facility,for one that just uses the gym its a stupid price to pay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Keeps the riff raff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

drdeadlift wrote: »

If you had the option of a no frills gym, with multiple squat racks, lots of benches, good selection of weight plates, dumbbells up to 50kg and a good selection of machines and cardio equipment available, Decent shower facilities and good parking. How much would you be willing to pay per visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

drdeadlift wrote: »

The non-gym facilities are fantastic, and can make it good value.

My wife uses the soft-play, the crèche, the pool, etc as well as the gym and the scheduled classes. Gets her monies worth and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I'm a huge fan of the climbing wall as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you had the option of a no frills gym, with multiple squat racks, lots of benches, good selection of weight plates, dumbbells up to 50kg and a good selection of machines and cardio equipment available, Decent shower facilities and good parking. How much would you be willing to pay per visit?

BOOM!!!!!

Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublinsoon

Seems very few gyms offer a pay-per-visit option in Dublin?

dublinsoon wrote: »
    Seems very few gyms offer a pay-per-visit option in Dublin?

For good reason. But that wasn't TommyKnocker's point. His point was that when you take annual cost divided by annual visits, it's probably very good value.

Hanley wrote: »
    For good reason. But that wasn't TommyKnocker's point. His point was that when you take annual cost divided by annual visits, it's probably very good value.

That assumes a business is run in an efficient and cost effective manner. Just because a certain level of fees are required by the company to maintain profitability, doesn't mean it is good value.

I'm not saying WW isn't good value but some businesses are just run badly.

Sangre wrote: »
    That assumes a business is run in an efficient and cost effective manner. Just because a certain level of fees are required by the company to maintain profitability, doesn't mean it is good value.

I'm not saying WW isn't good value but some businesses are just run badly.

No it doesn't. "Value" is value irrespective of a company's profitability or operations. It's a client measured metric.

Think you're getting value? You pay. Don't think you are? You don't. Simples.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    No it doesn't. "Value" is value irrespective of a company's profitability or operations. It's a client measured metric.

Think you're getting value? You pay. Don't think you are? You don't. Simples.

Just realised I misread your original post completely. I read it as annual cost (of business) divided by annual fee = value.

To OP, while value is obviously subjective, there is no harm in trying to get the best value by looking at various objective criteria, including price. Sure, you may think one in gym is good value, but why not look around and find a see if there is a better value one (which doesn't mean cheaper).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pang wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of the climbing wall as well.

Check out awesome Walls in Finglas www.awesomewalls.ie i started climbing there a while back they have a great set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

ted1 wrote: »
    Check out awesome Walls in Finglas www.awesomewalls.ie i started climbing there a while back they have a great set up

That looks like a great set up! Thanks for the tip Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 flaghead

Joining WestWood is a complete joke. They are never clear about how to sign up.
    I went in about a year ago with my mate who had a free pass for me, and as required I had to go into one of the offices and fill out a form while being persuaded to join. I said the 499 joining fee was out of my budget, so he said that he'll ring up his manager to see if he can get me deal. So he went into the next office, pretended to use the phone and came back saying 'Its your lucky day, you dont have to pay the full joining fee!'

They do the same to everyone, its stupid.

I rang up again today cuz Id actually like to join this time, and the same thing happend. 'Sorry but you have to pay the full joining fee' blah blah 'Actually hang on do you have a number I can ring you back on, Ill see what I can do'

Get a call 20 mins later saying I dont have to pay the entire fee...
    Would put me off joining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

flaghead wrote: »
    Joining WestWood is a complete joke. They are never clear about how to sign up.
    I went in about a year ago with my mate who had a free pass for me, and as required I had to go into one of the offices and fill out a form while being persuaded to join. I said the 499 joining fee was out of my budget, so he said that he'll ring up his manager to see if he can get me deal. So he went into the next office, pretended to use the phone and came back saying 'Its your lucky day, you dont have to pay the full joining fee!'

They do the same to everyone, its stupid.

I rang up again today cuz Id actually like to join this time, and the same thing happend. 'Sorry but you have to pay the full joining fee' blah blah 'Actually hang on do you have a number I can ring you back on, Ill see what I can do'

Get a call 20 mins later saying I dont have to pay the entire fee...
    Would put me off joining

Yeah they've been doing that for years. I wonder does anyone pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yeah they've been doing that for years. I wonder does anyone pay.

The very high joining fee is to milk extra loot from corporate memberships; typically big companies who offer subsidized club memberships pay part of the joining fee (e.g. in the case of Bank of Ireland they used to pay 100% of the joining fee, and the employee paid BIK).

In this instance they don't waive it, they just discount it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Keeps the riff raff out.

In my experience of being a member there, it certainly does not.

Also, I paid 100E joining fee several years ago. I simply said I know several people who had the 500E fee reduced to 100E and I wanted the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sanny82

Just wondering if the price situation in west wood changed? The website says 0.83 per day

sanny82 wrote: »
    Just wondering if the price situation in west wood changed? The website says 0.83 per day

You sure that's not west point in blanchardstown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Went to join the other day and was first offered the 499 joining fee and 75 a month thereafter.as soon as I said that was too high I got was told the June offer of 99 joining fee was just after ending,let me ring my manager and see if I can squeeze you in.not a fan of such shady tactics if I'm honest and would lead me to wonder what else isn't upfront about the whole business.

Advertisement