Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should atheists & non-practising Catholics be allowed to celebrate Christmas?

• 22-12-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

It seems to me that the true meaning of Christmas is lost on some people. Should atheists and non-practising Catholics be allowed to partake in festive celebrations, attend mass on Christmas day, receive presents and have days off work, even though they clearly have no belief in God/religion?

If so, seems quite hypocritical to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Kill em all that's what I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

What about other Christians? Should they be allowed celebrate what was originally a pagan festival?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

cop on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

It was a midwinter festival long before the christians hijacked it. So yes, i will be celebrating the mid-winter party with lots of port and food however i wont be attending the temple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It seems to me that the true meaning of Christmas is lost on some people. Should atheists and non-practising Catholics be allowed to partake in festive celebrations, attend mass on Christmas day, receive presents and have days off work, even though they clearly have no belief in God/religion?

Baa humbug! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

We were celebrating it along time before you. (without a money collection) I presume you won't be carrying out our traditions, decorating tree's, present giving, using mistletoe and holly? I certainly won't be visiting your church!

Happy winter solstice everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Catholics are hardly in a position to call others hypocrites. Priests and child abuse spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Christmas is pretty much more about the commercial side of things than anything else these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Nothing for some, miniature Christmas trees and afterlife for others. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

lol. I hope you are just trolling and not this silly.
    I'm celebrating the feast of maximum occupancy this holiday season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Daith

I don't know what religion has to do with Santa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I don't celebrate Christmas. I celebrate Cokemas. (the two are very similar in appearance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Allowed to celebrate Christmas? Who's going to stop me? A pedophile priest?

"Oi! Put that present down and suck my cock!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Are you saying that Santa Claus should only visit Catholics??

Get out of it... I bet you those 3 wise men that visited Santa were not even Catholics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Christmas hasn't had any real religious meaning for decades

now go and f*ck yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Take away Jesus and going to mass for them. And leave the non Christian bits like Santa, Christmas trees, presents and the rest of the non Christian parts to the atheists. Obviously mass goers can't use the non Christian bits. Police will make unannounced calls to houses to police it. Brilliant idea op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Why would they bother celebrating something they don't believe in. Seems pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Do non-christians refuse a christmas bonus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

ALLOWED!!!???!!! :mad:

To me Cristmas is a time of giving thanks for your friends and family and even strangers and appreciating which seems to be pretty much what every religion preaches but few, if ANY practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You are thinking of thanksgiving grover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Should atheists and non-practising Catholics be allowed to partake in festive celebrations, attend mass on Christmas day, receive presents and have days off work, even though they clearly have no belief in God/religion?

Tell you what: I'll do all that stuff and you can feel guilty for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I shall be celebrating my few days off from work with copious amounts of food and ale.
    phill106 wrote: »
    Do non-christians refuse a christmas bonus?

A Christmas bonus? Been a while since I have seen one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Xmas = peados only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It seems to me that the true meaning of Christmas is lost on some people. Should atheists and non-practising Catholics be allowed to partake in festive celebrations, attend mass on Christmas day, receive presents and have days off work, even though they clearly have no belief in God/religion? If so, seems quite hypocritical to me.

:confused: Are you trying to tell me I should stop giving presents to atheists and other non-Christians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

If I remember my primary school, religious brainwashing. Your Jewish Zombie wizzard king, who is his own father. Had some angel have sex with his mother so he could be born. You guys go and chant in a temple and then eat parts of his body and blood to celebrate him being born and dying?

Fair enough, doesn't sound like my type of party. Tell ya what why dont you lot not "allow" us to go to your worship temple. We'll sit at home with our "Festive Dinners" and open our presents around the "festive tree" and get smashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

You wouldn't be advising the use of artificial contraception now would you Father?

It's an excuse to skive off work to spend time with the ones youj love. Go f*ck yourself Utah.

If you don't like it, raise an army and try to kill the infidels.

Emphasis on try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The-Rigger wrote: »
    You are thinking of thanksgiving grover.
    Well I'm Irish and living in Ireland so I don't celebrate thanksgiving but as corny as it sounds I think Christmas is a time of giving and peace to all men. Sure it's hung around a Christian festival just as Christmas timing itself is timed around a pagan festival. OP I appologise if I came across a bit harsh but it was just the word "Allowed" that set me off. I think people of any or no religion should be able to celebrate the Christmas period as the see fit (Apart maybe from that Thugee Cult but Indy sorted them out :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

OP is making the mistake of associating a real entity, namely Jesus of Nazareth, with someone who doesn't exist, namely God.

Yes, we can celebrate giving and a Christian charitableness at Christmas without having to believe in God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I think Christmas is needed because it gives a schedule to the year, be it personally or for business you start anew when you come back. Everyone needs a collective break in the year also and it is a healthy thing to look forward to during the last few dark months of the year. Even if there were no religious implications I think that the holiday atmosphere should be open to everyone.

Advertisement