Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Easiest way to move a car with the handbrake on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

MugMugs wrote: »
    If it's a gated complex the council don't care and you should never remove anything from another mans car. That's a criminal act.

Meh well thats what I did when somebody plonked their car outside my house.

Tragedy wrote: »
    ............ Oh hi <SNIP>..................

Did you try messaging him on facebook or linkedin or the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭creedp

BX 19 wrote: »
    Go for it.

I'd be letting the air of the tyres of any person that claims a private space thats mine.

I've seen that happen on a number of ocassions in similar circumstances. Its unusual now though that apartment complexes don't have some form of sanction - normally clamping - for illegally parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Sometimes, underground carparks in apartment blocks are used by car thieves to store cars between stealing it and using it in whatever. Or to leave them for a while to see if it has a tracking device on it.

If the car hasn't been moved in a while, and the note hasn't been touched, it's possible the owner doesn't know it's there. Maybe give the Gardai a quick call with the reg number (even after you've moved it)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

It's now been there almost 4 days.

Had another look, the owner left a diploma(or similar) in the back with his name on it. Oh hi <SNIP>, I wonder how high google search will rank this thread?

I'll take pics in an hour to show people why I'm pissed.
    If you leave out the middle name, Facebook search only returns one person with that name and he's from Tralee - try sending him a message there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Why would I message him? He's obviously plonked the car in the spot for the week. We'll see how much he likes it being blocked for a month so.

Why would I message him? ......

So he might move it.

No need now, I can safely park without inconveniencing anyone but him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

creedp wrote: »
    I've seen that happen on a number of ocassions in similar circumstances. Its unusual now though that apartment complexes don't have some form of sanction - normally clamping - for illegally parked cars.
    What difference would it make? <SNIP> would leave the car in Tragedy's space for as long as he liked, then start a thread here and be met with sympathy and told to cut the clamp off and dump it. He might even be advised on his return that Tragedy's car, given that it's immobilising his car, effectively is the clamp, which would be interesting to say the least.

As stands, there is no actual method of dealing with illegal parking in the underground. No tow-away, no clamping, no form of sanction. Essentially anyone can park wherever they want, including blocking people in willy-nilly with zero repercussions past possible illegal actions by annoyed owners.

I've also heard of other management companies stopping clamping in underground car parks due to how many clamps are just cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Easiest way to move it? Release the handbrake ;)

As stands, there is no actual method of dealing with illegal parking in the underground. No tow-away, no clamping, no form of sanction. Essentially anyone can park wherever they want, including blocking people in willy-nilly with zero repercussions past possible illegal actions by annoyed owners.

I've also heard of other management companies stopping clamping in underground car parks due to how many clamps are just cut off.
    We have lots of them in Motors, posting pictures of angle grinders and crowing about their rights. Your rights don't matter a jot to these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭creedp

Anan1 wrote: »
    What difference would it make? Olan James Carmody would leave the car in Tragedy's space for as long as he liked, then start a thread here and be met with sympathy and told to cut the clamp off and dump it. He might even be advised on his return that Tragedy's car, given that it's immobilising his car, effectively is the clamp, which would be interesting to say the least.

Well I've seen a car clamped by a private clamping company in an underground car park. I don't know how it was removed because the car was gone the next time I was in the car park. I've also seen notes left on cars in the same car park threatening clamping and the cars have moved on. Do you not think that the threat of clamping could be useful especially if the odd car is actually clamped? The inconvenience alone of having to remove the damn thing (by whatever means) should I wuld have thought encourage the majority of people to move on. I accept if you get a stickler that it is difficult to manage this situation. What I'm not clear on here (maybe I should read the whole thread more carefully) is this car permanently parked in the spot or does the guy come an go regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

phutyle wrote: »
    Sometimes, underground carparks in apartment blocks are used by car thieves to store cars between stealing it and using it in whatever. Or to leave them for a while to see if it has a tracking device on it.

If the car hasn't been moved in a while, and the note hasn't been touched, it's possible the owner doesn't know it's there. Maybe give the Gardai a quick call with the reg number (even after you've moved it)?

This is extremely sensible advice. There was a 520d parked in a space outside my old place for about 3-4 days and when I rang the guards it turns out it was reported stolen.

creedp wrote: »
    Well I've seen a car clamped by a private clamping company in an underground car park. I don't know how it was removed because the car was gone the next time I was in the car park. I've also seen notes left on cars in the same car park threatening clamping and the cars have moved on. Do you not think that the threat of clamping could be useful especially if the odd car is actually clamped? The inconvenience alone of having to remove the damn thing (by whatever means) should I wuld have thought encourage the majority of people to move on. I accept if you get a stickler that it is difficult to manage this situation. What I'm not clear on here (maybe I should read the whole thread more carefully) is this car permanently parked in the spot or does the guy come an go regularly?
    The OP says he's had 9 different cars parked in his spot over the past 6 months. I'd imagine the culprits do the rounds, ie take a different space each time. Moving on isn't enough - the OP paid 10k for their spot and it should be available to them at any time. IMO, regulated saturation clamping is the solution - those wrongly clamped have the right to an independent appeal, and anyone who cuts the clamp off is prosecuted. People like Olan don't give a fvck about the rights of others - they need to be hit in the wallet.

Im not really sure what use clamping would do in this instance. Clamping is supposed to be a preventative measure; where the offending car is causing a problem clamping is actually counter-productive!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

djimi wrote: »
    Im not really sure what use clamping would do in this instance. Clamping is supposed to be a preventative measure; where the offending car is causing a problem clamping is actually counter-productive!

exactly, surely someone whom doesnt actually have a parking space in the underground and has not paid for it shouldnt have access to it in the first place?

i.e. a card system to enter / exit.

Theres the issue. not random clamping as so usually suggested by Anan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Are you putting pics up?

Ah come on now. Our Olan has appropriated Tragedy's space for one reason only - because he thinks he'll get away with it. A reasonable expectation of getting clamped would have deterred him.
    listermint wrote: »
    exactly, surely someone whom doesnt actually have a parking space in the underground and has not paid for it shouldnt have access to it in the first place?

i.e. a card system to enter / exit.

Theres the issue. not random clamping as so usually suggested by Anan.
    That would be ideal, but those systems cost a fortune to install and maintain. The owners of many small developments simply can't afford them.

Ah come on now. Our Olan has appropriated Tragedy's space for one reason only - because he thinks he'll get away with it. A reasonable expectation of getting clamped would have deterred him.That would be ideal, but those systems cost a fortune to install and maintain. The owners of many small developments simply can't afford them.

We dont know if this is in place?

We dont know anything about this lads case or the car park that he has.

so blanket clamping is a ridiculous suggestion until we know the story. Your inforcement campaign has been PROVEN to drive wedges between neighbours and neighbourhoods and generally kills any sense of community that may exist in developments. In fact it leads folks to despise the members on their 'residents committees.

Clamping is just another tool to destroy sense of community and is not warranted in most cases. I cant understand why you find it so popular.

• Advertisement

Ah come on now. Our Olan has appropriated Tragedy's space for one reason only - because he thinks he'll get away with it. A reasonable expectation of getting clamped would have deterred him.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying clamping should not be employed as a deterrant; its just that in this particular instance clamping is not going to get the car moved any faster!

I would honestly say that in cases where the car is causing an obstruction (be it cars parked illegally at junctions or whatever, or as in this case where they are parked in a private space) towing is a far better option than clamping. Its an equally effective deterrant, and it actually takes care of the immediate problem by removing it.

That said, Im not sure that a private towing company would not be leaving themselves open to prosecution for car theft...!

We dont know if this is in place?

We dont know anything about this lads case or the car park that he has.

so blanket clamping is a ridiculous suggestion until we know the story. Your inforcement campaign has been PROVEN to drive wedges between neighbours and neighbourhoods and generally kills any sense of community that may exist in developments. In fact it leads folks to despise the members on their 'residents committees.

Clamping is just another tool to destroy sense of community and is not warranted in most cases. I cant understand why you find it so popular.
    We know that the OP paid 10 grand for their space

We know that other people are regularly parking in it

What do you suggest? That everyone be forced to put biscuit tins under the wheels of the offending cars and shove them out of the way? Fvck that - people have a right to have their private property respected. All you consaw wavers need to realize that you're not fighting some abstract powah, you're p1ssing on the rights of real people - people like the OP.
    Dont get me wrong, Im not saying clamping should not be employed as a deterrant; its just that in this particular instance clamping is not going to get the car moved any faster!

I would honestly say that in cases where the car is causing an obstruction (be it cars parked illegally at junctions or whatever, or as in this case where they are parked in a private space) towing is a far better option than clamping. Its an equally effective deterrant, and it actually takes care of the immediate problem by removing it.
    Towing is much more efficient in the sense that it gets rid of the obstruction, but it's far too slow to deter short-term bad parking. It's also expensive, and generally impossible in underground/multi-storey car parks (not enough height).

We know that the OP paid 10 grand for their space

We know that other people are regularly parking in it

What do you suggest? That everyone be forced to put biscuit tins under the wheels of the offending cars and shove them out of the way? Fvck that - people have a right to have their private property respected. All you consaw wavers need to realize that you're not fighting some abstract powah, you're p1ssing on the rights of real people - people like the OP.

Thats rubbish and you know it. The OP says he paid 10K for the spot. Thats all we know. For all we know there may very well be gates on the carpark, they may not work. that should be the job of the residents commitee to repair.

Again WE DONT KNOW the ins and outs.

Once again whos 'fighting the power' there are plenty of cases on here of ruthless clampers clamping visitors cars/cars that have all the documentation and various other legitimate cars parking in their own spots.

Then come out to go to work only for sum jumped up clamper to take away my rights of going to work? Are you going to compensate that person for missing the start of work?

Fact is clampers are notorious about their work and they do more harm than good here. You cant honestly say that is not true.

And meanwhile there you are flicking your curtains from behind the window looking out at your neighbours where rules and regulations just kill any sense of neighbourhood. Its true what they say people arent nice anymore. That was killed off during the boomy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

You are perfectly within your rights to remove a clamp as long as you dont damage it.

There is no legislation in relation to clamping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Ring the management company, what do you think you are paying for ?

Clamping serves as a deterrent because people don't wish to pay €120+ to be unclamped.

When clamping was brought in overground here, the ~60 cars that were illegally parking kept parking overground. When clamps actually started being put on the vehicles, they all mysteriously disappeared. Then they started appearing in the underground, people started double parking etc.

As pretty much every apartment has a parking spot, my guess would be people with a spot letting in housemates/spouses etc using their underground keyfob.
    Ringing management company is useless in the short term(I tried), long term I'm installing a fold down parking barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Rind the management company, what do you think you are paying for ?

management companies!! lol!

in most cases ur paying for nothing!

Thats rubbish and you know it. The OP says he paid 10K for the spot. Thats all we know. For all we know there may very well be gates on the carpark, they may not work. that should be the job of the residents commitee to repair.

Again WE DONT KNOW the ins and outs.
    You think this may be the OP's own fault for not gating the car park to physically protect the space that they own? This just gets weirder and weirder.
    Once again whos 'fighting the power' there are plenty of cases on here of ruthless clampers clamping visitors cars/cars that have all the documentation and various other legitimate cars parking in their own spots.

Then come out to go to work only for sum jumped up clamper to take away my rights of going to work? Are you going to compensate that person for missing the start of work?

Fact is clampers are notorious about their work and they do more harm than good here. You cant honestly say that is not true.

And meanwhile there you are flicking your curtains from behind the window looking out at your neighbours where rules and regulations just kill any sense of neighbourhood. Its true what they say people arent nice anymore. That was killed off during the boomy times.
    I said i'm in favour of regulated saturation clamping, with access to an independent appeals process. This covers all of your above legitimate concerns. The only people you're defending now are the likes of <SNIP>.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can you put the fold down bar in front of his car by any chance? Have him blocked in.

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    Can you put the fold down bar in front of his car by any chance? Have him blocked in.

I'm waiting for the Directors of the Management Company to either give or refuse me permission to install them. At least if they refuse it, after I state my case and the consistent and recurring issues I've been having, I (hopefully) have a better legal leg to stand on for placing a parking barrier without their permission.

Advertisement