Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living abroad, What do you miss the most.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

La_Gordy wrote: »
    I've lived in a few different countries over the last few years and the one thing I have consistently missed from home is the wage acknowledge each other. Be it the eye contact, a nod, lifting your index finger while driving, ye don't really get that in foreign!

Flashing your lights in Ireland can also mean anything from:
    • You're driving to fast
    • You're driving to slow
    • You're annoying me
    • Speed Check ahead
    • You can join the road
    • Get out of the way
    • I dislike your overtaking
    • Hi Dave !

In Germany/Benelux and so on flashing your lights is a Universal "Get out of the way"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Thats interesting. A hangover from the old communist times I suppose?

Their outward unfriendliness was written about centuries ago. They're really great people and some of the kindest pals i've ever had. It's just something about Ireland I really missed!

Same wi Singaporeans really, but they were too busy looking at their féckin iPads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Great thread. I am only after moving to France from Dublin, but I still miss a few things. Particularly Irish Milk. Seriously, French UHT Milk is just disgusting. It has destroyed breakfast for me. I have to put chocolate in my milk. I have even tried fresh milk but it doesn't bode well with me.

Civil service. Things in France take ages to sort out. Also forms and supporting documentation can be lost, eventually thrown in the bin (seen it in front of my eyes) I am working here and I've still to receive my social security number and I can't get other admin stuff done without that number and claim money back on Doctor's visits.

Even though I thought I was prepared for France (My college degree is in French and I speak the language fluently), it's still challenging at times. Though Bread, my English teaching job, my home and beautiful landscapes is helping in good amounts. :)

La_Gordy wrote: »
    I've lived in a few different countries over the last few years and the one thing I have consistently missed from home is the way we acknowledge each other. Be it the eye contact, a nod, lifting your index finger while driving, ye don't really get that in foreign!

Yeah. Totally get that.

For example, I really like dogs and will also admire them out on a walk. In Dublin, 6/10 times, people would notice my smile, say hello, stop and let me pet their dog, talk about their dogs routine. Here in France, I look at someone's dog, admire it and it does not even come to their awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Particularly Irish Milk. Seriously, French UHT Milk is just disgusting. It has destroyed breakfast for me. I have to put chocolate in my milk. I have even tried fresh milk but it doesn't bode well with me.
    You can get non-UHT milk too - here UHT milk seems to be something that's used mainly for coffee.

I miss sausages. The type you use for a fry. Most ingredients for a fry are no problem and you can use Speck and Blutwurst at a push for others. But the sausages are a problem, unless you go to some English shop and pay through the nose. I came across a remarkably close equivalent at a BBQ in Bern a few years back, but no one (including the host) knew what they were called.

I don't miss Dublin Bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Great thread. I am only after moving to France from Dublin, but I still miss a few things. Particularly Irish Milk. Seriously, French UHT Milk is just disgusting. It has destroyed breakfast for me. I have to put chocolate in my milk. I have even tried fresh milk but it doesn't bode well with me.

Civil service. Things in France take ages to sort out. Also forms and supporting documentation can be lost, eventually thrown in the bin (seen it in front of my eyes) I am working here and I've still to receive my social security number and I can't get other admin stuff done without that number and claim money back on Doctor's visits.

Even though I thought I was prepared for France (My college degree is in French and I speak the language fluently), it's still challenging at times. Though Bread, my English teaching job, my home and beautiful landscapes is helping in good amounts. :)

Yeah. Totally get that.

For example, I really like dogs and will also admire them out on a walk. In Dublin, 6/10 times, people would notice my smile, say hello, stop and let me pet their dog, talk about their dogs routine. Here in France, I look at someone's dog, admire it and it does not even come to their awareness.
    When you go to the doctor you'll get a "feuille de soins", it's a white and brown form. Keep all of these, plus any receipts from the pharmacist. As soon as you get your number (you'll get this on an "attestation" before you get your card) you can start sending those forms to your local CPAM to get reimbursed.

About the milk, you can get fresh milk in most supermarkets, I find the one that's pasteurised by filtration (I think that's what it's called) tastes most like the fresh milk in Ireland. It's a bit dearer but it's worth it!

For admin, put any documents that they regularly ask for (eg the scan of your passport, you "attestion de securité sociale", justificatif de domicile etc etc on a USB key, like that anytime you need to ask for something new you have the documents right there.

Oh and it's worth remembering that income tax in France is not deducted from your pay, you have to declare in May. (I was not told this!) You'll need to get a form from your local Mairie or tax office in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Batch bread...that is all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Fresh air, something you don't even think about until you don't have it. I'm in Beijing and on a smoggy day like today having to wear masks is not fun! The air today is described as "hazardous" and I've seen far worse in my short period of time I've been here. A dirty grey sky, barely able to make out the sun and the leaves all go a greyish green.

When you go to the doctor you'll get a "feuille de soins", it's a white and brown form. Keep all of these, plus any receipts from the pharmacist. As soon as you get your number (you'll get this on an "attestation" before you get your card) you can start sending those forms to your local CPAM to get reimbursed.

About the milk, you can get fresh milk in most supermarkets, I find the one that's pasteurised by filtration (I think that's what it's called) tastes most like the fresh milk in Ireland. It's a bit dearer but it's worth it!

For admin, put any documents that they regularly ask for (eg the scan of your passport, you "attestion de securité sociale", justificatif de domicile etc etc on a USB key, like that anytime you need to ask for something new you have the documents right there.

Oh and it's worth remembering that income tax in France is not deducted from your pay, you have to declare in May. (I was not told this!) You'll need to get a form from your local Mairie or tax office in May.

Thank you very much Ivy. Appreciate your input. I have ranted a lot on different forums about life in France. It's just a case of making the unfamiliar familiar (deep I know :p)

For the admin, I've all my feuilles de soin, prescriptions, stickers of the antibiotics, receipts at the ready to go to the MGEN. I work for the French Ministry of Education, teaching English in the secondary system near Toulouse. So I have a different office.

Also my taxes are done for me automatically because I work in the Public System. The documents that gave me explain gross and net tax, and it's automatically deducted. My contract even had gross and after tax explained, and I've received the net so there are getting no more income tax. I know a taxe d'habitation (charge for people who rent) is due at some point.

I'll keep an eye on the dairy section for something ressembling 'filtration' around the milk section. Merci bien.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I don't think I am ever going to adjust to Xmas with temps of 35c +

Also, Xmas day is a non event here, all the celebrating happens around midnight on Xmas eve so Xmas is spent asleep more or less.

Maybe the last part isn't so different to home, but asleep in bed as opposed to asleep in front of the telly!

The Late Late Toy Show was on last night and my newsfeed is full of references I don't get, plus pictures of opened tins of roses. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kim Kardashi Un

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    The Spanish just do not consider other people (as in strangers). It's not explicit rudeness or badness, it's that you just don't exist for them and it doesn't occur to them to think about you at all. I was walking down my street the other day having flown back from London with a massive wheely suitcase. You know the kind that make loads of noise. I got stuck behind two Spanish women who were taking up the entire pavement and waddling along at crawling pace. Anywhere else in the world, they'd have heard my suitcase behind them and moved aside, but in Spain? Nah. I kind of angrily huffed and said 'muchas gracias, eh?' as I walked out onto the main road to get around them and they looked at me in total confusion, like 'what's her problem?', still completely oblivious. They just have no concept of spacial awareness or 'being in the way'. They don't thank you for holding the door open because they haven't even see you. They're too wrapped up in themselves.

The lack of awareness drives me absolutely mental. Some days I think I am going to crack up as the being in the way and having no concept of other people trying to pass is sooooo consistent here.
    In comparison to the Spanish I seem to be hyper aware of space, estimating distance and speed. i'm like the terminator walking down the street. I find I am always the one who tucks in my arm or bag so as not to hit the other person. At times I just go like the Bitter sweet symphony guy and just tense up and people invariable bang into me but they are the ones that get the brunt of it. It sounds pathetic but having to walk around Madrid every day you have days where it is just incomprehensible. I don't even want a "o, perdona" when you knock into me, just wake the fck up. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks. I so needed that. Saturday is a particularly ridiculous did to be among the masses here. And don't get me started on the crap maintenance of the paving. Double Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Sunday Carvery Lunch with crap weather outside watching a GAA match with friends :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

people collecting money at your door for the baby

buses that always run on time

the weather

the cheap price of petrol

cheap price of beer in the bar

people driving head on at you,as the car has no power to pass the other one,i don't mind pulling into the ditch

banks that shut at lunch time for lunch

the cheap price to post a letter

new car number plates so you can show off to your friends

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

Living in Paris for about 3 and a half years now.
    Contrary to popular belief (mostly), thankfully I don't have the problem of the rudeness as mentioned about Spain. Politeness seems very important here and sometimes after an interaction, I feel like a dick for not doing something "polite" that I should have done. Again contrary to popular belief, they don't seem to hold grudges about it. The rude stereotype is there in areas and at certain times of the day but I'm one of those now. Get in my way during rush hour and I'll hate you. :) Also, the smell of certain areas can bring out the worst in anyone.

I do miss the laid back Irish way. Very relaxed atmosphere.

Food, there are some things that I miss, specifically spar/centra etc deli rolls (cuisine de france). Hot chicken roll. Chips from a chipper ! Goodfellas pizza. Double Decker bars.

Don't miss crisps. Maybe a pack of Hunky Dorys Buffalo but I can do without them.

As one poster said, I don't miss Dublin bus. Metro is cheaper (€1.70 for a single or €67 for a month unlimited)

The humour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Second you on the chipper chips. We go to Dubai quite a bit but they don't even have any proper chippers.

Land 9am: Full Irish at 11am, then out that night and a chipper on the way home.

In winter clothes!

Roll on Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Just moved to Turkey and I miss fresh air. I'm in a city and the smog is terrible. No smoky fuel ban here!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

I've been out of Ireland for almost 10 years, 6 in the states and the last four in Germany. I miss Irish chinese food. Curry specifically. I have yet to find a decent Curry sauce here. Next would be the fry up. The proper sausages are key. I always add lots of malt vinegar, another product you can't get here. I cook a lot of stews and Shepherd's Pies so another product I miss is Branston pickle. My last item is craft beer. Ireland seems to be full of huge varieties of craft beer. I live in the land of beer but it's all big brewery stuff mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Living in the UK so cant claim as much home sickness as many of you, but one thing that I really miss is a decent barman or barmaid. I am not talking about a genius cocktail waiter, just some person who can reasonably manage a crowd, is organised and can do the smallest bit of mental arithmetic!! Of course there are a few places that I frequent that have decent staff, but unfortunately I find they are in the minority, for an example you try to order 4 drinks and they stop listening after you say the first one and go pour it and return and ask “Anything else mate……?” ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh and clonakilty..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Taco chips..

The best taco chips I ever got were in NYC in a chip van after late bar closed. I used get one for the fridge every night!

What I miss atm is chocolate. It's just not the same here in Canada. And being stuck in the middle of Canada I sure miss the Atlantic that I grew up beside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

unjedilike wrote: »
    I've been out of Ireland for almost 10 years, 6 in the states and the last four in Germany. I miss Irish chinese food. Curry specifically. I have yet to find a decent Curry sauce here. Next would be the fry up. The proper sausages are key. I always add lots of malt vinegar, another product you can't get here. I cook a lot of stews and Shepherd's Pies so another product I miss is Branston pickle. My last item is craft beer. Ireland seems to be full of huge varieties of craft beer. I live in the land of beer but it's all big brewery stuff mostly.

The absence of Asian food surprises me about Germany. Especially considering Germany's favorite fast food is Doner( I love them). I have been/lived in various German cities and the absence of Asian Restaurants and even people amazes. There is a handful of Asian restaurants in Munich, yet my Grandparents ****ty village in the West even has a Chinese take away. Most American visitors to Munich/Berlin are shocked there is no Chinatown. But I suppose its the German mindset. Spend a lot on quality and it will last. You walk into any German store and there is seriously very few Chinese made products.

But its surprising all the Irish food you find in Germany eg Kerrygold is Germanys best selling butter, kerrygold cheddar in lidl, Irish meat and fish is fairly common. But I found the German food tastes are very much Ireland 20 years ago. They still only eat what is comfortable and safe with them. All their ethic food other than Turkish is pretty disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

hfallada wrote: »
    Most American visitors to Munich/Berlin are shocked there is no Chinatown. But I suppose its the German mindset.

Historically... lets face it, germany didnt have the greatest record with minorities.

And after 1945 they were plunged into division and the Cold War and by 1948 China was closed by communism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Historically... lets face it, germany didnt have the greatest record with minorities.
    No, it's just different immigration patterns. So they don't have a Chinatown, but they do have a Kreuzberg.

hfallada wrote: »
    The absence of Asian food surprises me about Germany. Especially considering Germany's favorite fast food is Doner( I love them). I have been/lived in various German cities and the absence of Asian Restaurants and even people amazes. There is a handful of Asian restaurants in Munich, yet my Grandparents ****ty village in the West even has a Chinese take away. Most American visitors to Munich/Berlin are shocked there is no Chinatown. But I suppose its the German mindset. Spend a lot on quality and it will last. You walk into any German store and there is seriously very few Chinese made products.

But its surprising all the Irish food you find in Germany eg Kerrygold is Germanys best selling butter, kerrygold cheddar in lidl, Irish meat and fish is fairly common. But I found the German food tastes are very much Ireland 20 years ago. They still only eat what is comfortable and safe with them. All their ethic food other than Turkish is pretty disgusting

Really different around my spot, Dusseldorf has a Japanese Quarter:
    http://www.japantag-duesseldorf-nrw.de/en/japan-in-duesseldorf/

Wide variety of restaurants around the place :)
    http://justhungry.com/dusseldorf-germany-japantown-frugal-eats

Also a large Indian population, Infosys had their Christmas party in Cologne a few weeks ago and it was in the thousands, although this was for all infosys employees in NRW I think.

The selection of Indian stuff is very good too, there's a new Indian in the Medienhafen that gets the thumbs up from my Indian colleagues (and myself also)

Dusseldorf is not a very pretty City, but its a bit of a German oddity in that its very different to most other Cities i've been to in Germany.

I know for Bavarians that hail from the south it can be a bit of an adjustment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Seems I'm the odd one out, but I really don't miss anything. I've a standard of living I couldn't have imagined in Ireland; I live in an interesting, multi-faceted country; drink and sport don't dominate the conversation, and it hardly ever rains! I can go wherever I want to go in the world, whenever I want. I left Ireland for a reason: I was sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

gucci wrote: »
    Oh and clonakilty..........

Funny story about Clonakilty.

Any time any of the Irish lads went back home, we had a gentleman's agreement that we would always bring back Clonakilty (we are in the Middle East). Then one day it appeared in the shops here.

We have now all come to the conclusion that we no longer like Clonakilty and that Rudds black pudding is now the new kid on the block. I think we may have overdosed on Clonakilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Funny story about Clonakilty.

Any time any of the Irish lads went back home, we had a gentleman's agreement that we would always bring back Clonakilty (we are in the Middle East). Then one day it appeared in the shops here.

We have now all come to the conclusion that we no longer like Clonakilty and that Rudds black pudding is now the new kid on the block. I think we may have overdosed on Clonakilty.

No pork of any description here so I miss pudding too! And agree with you on the Rudds. Tried it a year ago and never went back to Clonakilty after that. :D

I'm in Ireland visiting for 6 months and now find myself missing home.

I forgot what the drinking culture was like, people peeing in doorways. Empty takeaway rubbish all over the place and IMO racism and xenophobia is much more apparent.

Even the rain here is different, a sort of depressing damp mist that goes on the whole day.

One nice thing was the lack of fireworks, this is the first year we didn't have to put the dog into kennels due to the Dutch pre-apocalyptic fireworks :D

Wtf happened to taytos. They taste manky now.

Happy new year everybody !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kevjob

Has to be Tayto for me and a good fry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Decent milk, sick of UHT.

I'd also murder a full fry-up.

Advertisement