Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chili con carne vegetarian

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Didn't get around to making it and I really wish I had :( That looks amazing Bazmo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I've got today off, and just put the slow cooker on - the house already smells absolutely gorgeous. I'll post pictures tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'll be picking up some lentils and getting in on the action here. If it's half as good as ye're saying it must be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Where are you guys picking up your tins of black beans for this recipe?! I've tried my local tesco, dunnes and supervalu but no luck!!

I know they have dried black turtle beans in my local Tesco, but that adds extra faff to the dish. I wonder would Whole foods places have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I got them in Eurasia off the Fonthill Road. They're also called Black turtle beans. They were in tins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

My dad's favourite meal is chilli and he's just been put on a no red meat diet, so I think I'll try making this for him over the weekend. How long do people think it would need to go in a slow cooker for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Moody_mona wrote: »
    My dad's favourite meal is chilli and he's just been put on a no red meat diet, so I think I'll try making this for him over the weekend. How long do people think it would need to go in a slow cooker for?

It only takes an hour to make the regular way once the veg are fired off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I try to support my local spice shop bit buying the canned stuff off them too. Chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans. Great value buying rice as well.

Moody_mona wrote: »

I did it in the slow cooker, with dried beans and lentils (I had no tins, and always have the cupboard full of beans and lentils, they're one of our staple foods), it took about 4 hours for the beans to be fully cooked.

It was really, really delicious. But for the next one, I'll be adding some chopped bell peppers - somehow, it's not a chili for me without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It only takes an hour to make the regular way once the veg are fired off.

I know, slow cooker is mainly for convenience so I don't need to worry about pottering about while the hob is on.

Thanks shenshen, four hours ballpark is good to know :)

Shenshen wrote: »
    I did it in the slow cooker, with dried beans and lentils (I had no tins, and always have the cupboard full of beans and lentils, they're one of our staple foods), it took about 4 hours for the beans to be fully cooked.

It was really, really delicious. But for the next one, I'll be adding some chopped bell peppers - somehow, it's not a chili for me without them.

Do you cook them from dry in the slow cooker? Do you need to soak them first?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Shenshen wrote: »
    I usually put in some thickly sliced baby sweetcorn too. Adds a bit of crunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Where are you guys picking up your tins of black beans for this recipe?! I've tried my local tesco, dunnes and supervalu but no luck!!

I get them in my local Dunnes. The brand is Epicure. The tins have a greenish label.

kylith wrote: »
    Do you cook them from dry in the slow cooker? Do you need to soak them first?

I cooked them from dry. I find particularly black turtle beans somehow "drain" colour while soaking, and grey beans just aren't nice-looking,

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Tried Chilli using Quorn recently, must say it was a pleasant surprise as I was fairly sceptical about using it.

Other times I've just bulked up on pulses, corn and barley.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Am I the only person who calls veggie chilli "chilli non carne"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Any substitute for the wine?

Why would you want to substitute wine?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tree wrote: »

Not any more! Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I call it chilli sin carne, but that sounds a bit odd. (Lots of holidays in lanzo when i was younger, don't get the aqua con gas and the aqua sin gas mixed up)!

• Advertisement

Tree wrote: »

Used to call it chili sin carne, but non sound much better :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

dibkins wrote: »
    I call it chilli sin carne, but that sounds a bit odd. (Lots of holidays in lanzo when i was younger, don't get the aqua con gas and the aqua sin gas mixed up)!

But if you make that mistake once, you'll never make it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Before ever seeing this thread I had decided to make a vegie chilli this week. This was due to 4 days of poor quality cooked breakfasts and really unhealthy meals at Alltech crap food and great drink festival. I needed vegetables and healthy stuff!

Mine had: onion, carrot, celery, red and yellow peppers, courgette, butternut squash, mushrooms, smoked Mexican chillies (mild, don't know what type), tinned tomatoes, mung beans, pinto beans, green lentils, red wine, veg stock pots, cumin, allspice, oregano, chilli flakes and spinach to serve. Been eating it all week.

Advertisement