Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Thread - I want! I want! I want!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well over the past year his performances have been extremely poor - I don't think that can be argued. Were he not English I'd suspect nobody would bid for him.

Full of his own self importance when he has never fulfilled what I've always heard was his "potential" and consistently put in below average to very poor performances.

He has been poor in 2012 admittedly, due to RDM not playing him and injury.
    But in 2011 he was outstanding for Bolton, basically saving them from relegation then carrying that form on to Chelsea.

He is an arrogant so and so alright but IMO, in the right setup he could excel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Well over the past year his performances have been extremely poor - I don't think that can be argued. Were he not English I'd suspect nobody would bid for him.

Full of his own self importance when he has never fulfilled what I've always heard was his "potential" and consistently put in below average to very poor performances.

11 goals in 30 appearances last year for Chelsea, mostly from the right wing isn't pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Manchester United - Budget: ???? (let's say between £10 and £15 Million)

Who's coming in?
    Likely nobody. Dream scenario is that Arturo Vidal decides that he doesn't like Antonio Conte's face no more and "dreams of Manchester". Or we just sign Wanyama six months early. Probs nobody though.

Who's going out?
    Nobody is likely to be sold apart from perhaps Macheda. Some loan movement could be on the cards for the likes of Angelo Henriquez, Tunnicliffe, Wootton etc.

I can't understand why Chelsea aren't all over Robert Lewandowski. He's going to be off, he knows 4-2-3-1, he'd get on well in England, we don't need him and nor do City unless they sell, everyone else either can't afford him or can't offer him Champions League football. Surely they should be breaking their necks trying to get him. Maybe the already are behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

11 goals in 30 appearances last year for Chelsea, mostly from the right wing isn't pretty good.

The vast, vast majority of those were scored in 2011 - and even then he was a selfish player. Notice how he didn't feature in the tail end of the CL campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Sturridge is a Flash Harry. He's got a trick and some pace but his finishing can actually be very patchy and his game awareness is dreadful. He won't get played as a striker at a big club because his all-round game isn't anywhere near snuff to play the lone frontman role, he won't get played as part of a partnership in a 4-4-2 at a club of that size either, and he won't get Chelsea wages at a club that actually will stick him up front. He needs to decide whether he wants to be played as a striker at a club lower down the table on less money or adapting, big style, to a wider role at a Champions League club. Even then his game needs work. QPR seems a much better bet for everybody than Liverpool but that's not the way that football works I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Man utd should sign Banega.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Instead of Arsenal buying players we should just simply clone Gilberto Silva or if cheaper just build a wall in front of the back 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Man utd should sign Banega.

Before his bizarre injury he was one of the most soughtafter players in Europe, now nobody seems to be talking about him. His relationship isn't too good with the Valencia coach so I could see him wanting out and he'd be perfect for United imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭event

i do not get the hate for sturridge.
    A young player with pace to burn. He has an eye for goal, left footed and direct.
    he would improve liverpool massively, he is always going to be a bit more expensive because he is english.

Whenever he has been given a consistent run of games, he has scored goals.

people expect far too much from young players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Players with questionable attitudes are not wanted at big clubs. Man City let his contract run out, Chelsea don't want him. Any club that comes in for him would need to have good backup at the club in case he starts acting like a diva. I personally think he is very talented but his attitude is holding him back and he might never realise his full potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The vast, vast majority of those were scored in 2011 - and even then he was a selfish player. Notice how he didn't feature in the tail end of the CL campaign

One manager rated him another didn't then. Considering Chelsea parked the bus for the the tail end of their CL campaign it's not surprising he wasn't featured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

One of the most decorated strikers in Europe signing for Swansea? I don't think so some how.

Why not, their manager is one of the most respected men in European football.

Who also convinced one of Spains hottest wingers to join Swansea.

Would love to see it,

eagle eye wrote: »
    Players with questionable attitudes are not wanted at big clubs. Man City let his contract run out, Chelsea don't want him. Any club that comes in for him would need to have good backup at the club in case he starts acting like a diva. I personally think he is very talented but his attitude is holding him back and he might never realise his full potential.

Man City were offering him a new contract, he chose to leave for bigger bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JPA wrote: »
    Man City were offering him a new contract, he chose to leave for bigger bucks.
    I know that but they let it run down in the first place which means they weren't entirely confident in him realising his potential because they had the money to pay him if the wanted but they chose not to meet his demands.

I know that but they let it run down in the first place which means they weren't entirely confident in him realising his potential because they had the money to pay him if the wanted but they chose not to meet his demands.

Ya but he was looking for ridiculous money when he'd hardly even played for the first team.
    Man City were sensible.
    This was before they were super rich.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Liverpool

In: Anyone but Sturridge :(
    Out: not too many as our squad is paper thin already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

They had been trying to tie him up with a new contract for a year, however in that time the media had likened him as a 'Drogba' type player and started to say he was the perfect replacement Chelsea needed, as they thought Drogba at that stage was a spent force.
    JPA wrote: »
    Ya but he was looking for ridiculous money when he'd hardly even played for the first team.
    Man City were sensible.
    This was before they were super rich.

He had just broken into the first team and had a couple of very good performances in the Europa League. City had the money at the time but they had already spent big on Robinho and Jo, and Sturridge was demanding huge wages, and also wanted to move to an established top 4 team anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sturridge=Nicolas Bendtner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Arsenal.

Someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The Mirror is reporting that Newcastle have bought Remy for 10 million. Pretty certain that Ba is on his way if true - wonder where to ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

a long term CM is almost becoming as important to get as a striker for Chelsea. Essien and MacEachran are still on the books though so that would ease some concerns. Then obviously, a striker, Falcao being the dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Manchester United
    Out:
    Giggs
    Dizzee Rascal
    Nani

In:
    Xabi Alonso
    Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Manchester United
    Out:
    Giggs
    Dizzee Rascal
    Nani

In:
    Xabi Alonso
    Ronaldo

Lol at xabi Alonso joining united! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

zerks wrote: »
    Sturridge=Nicolas Bendtner.

More potential than Bendtner I think. Career could very well go the same direction though...

Melion wrote: »
    Liverpool

In: Anyone but Sturridge :(
    Out: not too many as our squad is paper thin already

In: A goalscorer and other attacker.
    Out: Cole (sold/free), Robinson/Flanagan/Coady/A.N.Others (loan)

I see the club working hard to give the kids experience in NextGen, Singapore and various events (and training with the 1st team), but I'd like to see them get some senior games under the belt, particularly Flanagan and Coady who need to prove themselves, both turn 20 in the new year... (and not 23!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

joe123 wrote: »

Lol at xabi Alonso joining united! :D

Well he's a fan apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Dickerty wrote: »
    In: A goalscorer and other attacker.
    Out: Cole (sold/free), Robinson/Flanagan/Coady/A.N.Others (loan)

I see the club working hard to give the kids experience in NextGen, Singapore and various events (and training with the 1st team), but I'd like to see them get some senior games under the belt, particularly Flanagan and Coady who need to prove themselves, both turn 23 in the new year...

23??
    They are both 19

Melion wrote: »
    23??
    They are both 19

No idea where that typo came from! Flanagan is 10 on NYDay and Coady in Feb. I realise that Sterling, Wisdom and Suso came through without big loan spells elsewhere, but they are that good. I dunno if these two are, so they'll need to prove it, or be the next Otsemebor and Jon Welsh...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Dickerty wrote: »
    No idea where that typo came from! Flanagan is 10 on NYDay and Coady in Feb. I realise that Sterling, Wisdom and Suso came through without big loan spells elsewhere, but they are that good. I dunno if these two are, so they'll need to prove it, or be the next Otsemebor and Jon Welsh...

jayzus, thems some prospects alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Well he's a fan apparently.
    And he is incredible at football!

Advertisement