Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2012, 09:49   #256
yosser hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Disgrace View Post
Because if we lived in a world of Jonathon Ross or G Norton, we'd be a lot less well off. There's a lot more to this world than pre-recorded, edited, banal interviews with not-very-interesting Hollywood celebrities. The 'Irish thing' you refer to is simply our ability to keep it real, and talk about 'real' things. As hard as it was to hear, I'd much rather listen to a genuine story like this one, than Bradley Cooper going on about the size of his new swimming pool
Well that's your opinion. I disagree.
Quote:
The 'Irish thing' you refer to is simply our ability to keep it real, and talk about 'real' things.
No,not having that at all. We are very good at denial as well and don't have a monopoly at 'keeping it real' Some might say we are more 'up ourselves'!with a huge capacity for self-praise.
The paucity of guests on last nights show makes me wonder whether some RTE shows are there just to keep people in employment as opposed to actually entertaining the public.
I'd feel a lot better off without he likes of Tubridy and O'Connor on my TV screen.

As for banal interviews! Exhibit A: last nights interview with three farmers who make crisps!
I rest my case.

Last edited by yosser hughes; 11-03-2012 at 09:53.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2012, 11:38   #257
Elmo

I only saw the interview with the Mother of the guy that was killed in Austrailia, I found it to be a good and interesting interview, I had felt that the press had been heavy handed on the subject.

As for the light V hard portion of such shows. I agree that RTÉ do need A Late Late Show and then a less serious version of that show. But I think RTÉ know that their auidence cann't handel the few entertainers available to be interviewed in this country so the decide to have carbon copies of TLLS.

Quote:
Do you ever see these kind of 'sensitive' interviews on Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton?
Neither presenter would be able to present such a show. Jonathan Ross is car crash TV now IMO, the only good thing he had going for him was 4 puffs and a piano and they weren't all that good.

Quote:
No,not having that at all. We are very good at denial as well and don't have a monopoly at 'keeping it real' Some might say we are more 'up ourselves'!with a huge capacity for self-praise.
I would have thought we have a great ability to say how ****ing **** Ireland is and how embarrassed we are to be Irish.
11-03-2012, 14:28   #258
MrsD007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoife9 View Post
Got the remote! whew!!:)I'm an 80s kid Kate Bush is on BBC2 now singing wuthering heights she's a loony but loved her!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
Heathcliff, It's meee I'm Cathyyyyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD007 View Post
Ah, I love the story, Wuthering Heights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Angstrom View Post
I was at a wedding once and somebody got up to sing that song. I still get the flashbacks!
I'm wondering if anyone else remembers the night that Fiona O'Malley and her father, Dessie O'Malley were on Tubridy Tonight ? At the time Tubs used to actively encourage his guests to perform their party piece. Anyway, Fiona "sang" Wuthering Heights.

Lets just say that it would have been better if she had left the singing to her cousin, Dido

Last edited by MrsD007; 12-03-2012 at 10:59.
11-03-2012, 18:59   #259
Skid
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD007 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else remembers the night that Fiona O'Malley and her father, Dessie O'Malley were on Tubridy Tonight ? At the time Tubs used to actively encourage his guests to perform their party piece. Anyway, Fiona "sang" Wuthering Heights.

Lets just say that would have been better if she had left the singing to her cousin, Dido
I don't remember it, but a quick Google of 'Fiona O'Malley Wuthering Heights' suggests there is pretty much universal disdain of that performance!

Quote:
Ms O'Malley, who performed what was widely held to be a woeful version of 'Wuthering Heights' on the 'Tubridy Tonight' TV show earlier this year, admitted: "I just don't have the talent."
Quote:
Nothing epitomised the performance of a TD who was best known for her curious hats more completely than a disastrous appearance on The Tubridy Show where she warbled her way through aversion of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights.
Quote:
That performance reminds me of Fiona O'Malley's version of Wuthering Heights on Tubridy Tonight a few years ago. Her dad, Dessie was so embarrassed he asked Tubs to stop her during it.**

** That last quote was from a MrsD007. On The Boards SNS Thread 16th April 2011
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion