Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it normal for wiggle to create a tracking number waaay before they ship an order?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not sure about wiggle because I've never ordered from them, but plenty of companies get assigned batches of tracking numbers which they assign at will then let the shipping company know which ones are which when they come to pick stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Interesting idea.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/how-congress-shapes-your-commute/2011/10/19/gIQA7GHOxL_blog.html?wprss=ezra-klein
    Even our daily sojourns to the office are affected by the twists and turns in the U.S. tax code. If you drive to work, your employer can cover up to $230 per month in parking costs tax-free. And in recent years, if you take mass transit, your employer has also been able to reimburse you, tax-free, for up to $230. This latter program was part of the 2009 stimulus bill, and one Businessweek survey found that, when companies do offer it, many workers really do shift to public transportation.
    It’s clear why the parking subsidy is popular — transportation is already the second-largest household expense and the vast majority of American workers drive alone to work. But, as UCLA’s Donald Shoup has detailed at great length , there are real costs to offering “free” parking. It’s a market distortion that leads to more driving than would otherwise be the case. Until recently, workers who drove got a bigger benefit than those who rode the bus. People who bike to work get an even smaller subsidy.
    An alternative approach, introduced as a bill earlier this year by Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), would try to smooth out some of these distortions. His bill would cap the benefit for parking and transit at $200 per month. It would increase the benefit for biking (to $40 per month) and “van-pooling.” But here’s the big innovation: Blumenauer’s bill would require any employer that offers the parking benefit to allow workers to take cash instead.

It would have been nice cash for me in a previous job, but it probably also would have persuaded a few people to leave the car at home and pocket the cash. At least, I think my employer back then rented car spaces from the business park, since they had the company's name painted on them.

Do employers generally pay out for parking in a business park, and even so, is it included immutably in the rent? That is, is there an assumption of what percentage of employees will need parking and that's the only way they calculate how much to charge the occupant of a unit on the business park?

EDIT: I realise that this article is about US taxing practice, but I'm just wondering whether there would be any room in Ireland to turn benefits enjoyed by car-driving employees into cash so that they can be transferred to non-car driving employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Do employers generally pay out for parking in a business park, and even so, is it included immutably in the rent? That is, is there an assumption of what percentage of employees will need parking and that's the only way they calculate how much to charge the occupant of a unit on the business park?

It varies. Sometimes a lease comes with a number of spaces included, sometimes they are charged individually, and sometimes a mix.

I work in a serviced office block in D2 and spaces cost about €300 a month IIRC. I don't have one, although I have considered renting one and filling it with sheffield stands but the landlord would likely be unimpressed. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    It varies. Sometimes a lease comes with a number of spaces included, sometimes they are charged individually, and sometimes a mix.

I work in a serviced office block in D2 and spaces cost about €300 a month IIRC. I don't have one, although I have considered renting one and filling it with sheffield stands but the landlord would likely be unimpressed. :pac:

Our work place has a load of free spaces but you have to rent them per month and one is assigned to you. Anyone I work with has never paid for a space on the basis there is no competition and any time there is, they park around the back in the loading area, since we don't get many deliveries, no one notices or cares.

We also have loads of Bike racks and my place even has a back hall that most of the staff use for storage of there bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

AstraMonti wrote: »
    This is the first properly cold morning! Enjoyable fresh though.. :pac:

Agreed. This morning also good (beats coffee). Tho don't know how much longer my bare legs will last. :D

What do I need to look for when buying a pair of thermal trousers? Best place to get? Price range I should be looking at? I'm a tall lad also (6'5") so length could be an issue. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thermal trousers? Lined bib tights ftw.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-roubaix-padded-bib-tight/

These will keep the cold out down to -5. After that you might need some leggings over them.

wile1000 wrote: »
    Agreed. This morning also good (beats coffee). Tho don't know how much longer my bare legs will last. :D

What do I need to look for when buying a pair of thermal trousers? Best place to get? Price range I should be looking at? I'm a tall lad also (6'5") so length could be an issue. Thanks!

Once it is under 6degrees you really should cover up, very bad for your knees, trust me, my hardy actions nearly destroyed mine.

Get tights or leg warmers, will do the job nicely, around 30 to 40 euro for a decent pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

CramCycle wrote: »
    Get tights or leg warmers, will do the job nicely, around 30 to 40 euro for a decent pair.

Thanks CramCycle. Would bicycle shops be the best place to visit for such things, or is it more of an outdoor shop-type purchase (eg. The Great Outdoors, Portwest, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=69299

I just don't have a clue how something could cost so much for a light! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Crow92 wrote: »

Don't complain, there's 20% off, how would you feel if you were the poor fool who'd bought one at €1042 ?
    I imagine it must be so bright it turns night into day or something......

wile1000 wrote: »
    Thanks CramCycle. Would bicycle shops be the best place to visit for such things, or is it more of an outdoor shop-type purchase (eg. The Great Outdoors, Portwest, etc.)

I got leg warmers from my LBS for about 20/30squid and have yet to regret it. Plenty of shops around dublin should have pairs of leg warmers.

Crow92 wrote: »

Even with that light there is a non-linear relationship between power input and light output (77 lm/W at 24W vs 240 lm/W at 1W). This is due to the fact that LEDs get less efficient as they get warmer, so cooling design is very important, and there isn't much competition for 24W bicycle lights.

Since it claims to do 240 lumens for 63 hours, it might be quite useful if you want to cycle in darkness for 63 hours without stopping.

For instance, what about if you're working on the LHC and the power goes off. You realise that you've dropped your radio somewhere in the 27km tunnel but have to cycle really slowly to avoid hitting any delicate equipment. Then you'd want a Lupine Betty.

240 Lumens......... that's, like, 20 per month....... ;)

Assuming an annual supply of Lumens......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen, you're in there.

Raam wrote: »
    Lumen, you're in there.

Apparently so. I'd imagine one Lumen is enough to kindle the darkest of habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Priced 3 books in Waterstone's Drogheda today.

Iron Man by Tony Iommi (E25)
    Scholes by ..er.. Scholes (E20)
    Tour De France by Graeme Fife (E15)

bookdepository.co.uk prices...

Iron Man (E11)
    Scholes (E10)
    Tour De France (E9.99)

Wow! :eek:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Speaking at the BFI London Film Festival, the 51-year-old said: "It's finally happening - I ran into Bono in Toronto and he's as much of a bike nut as I am.

What kind of bike nut is he/they? Motorbike or bicycle? Just can't see Bono in lycra, then again I didn't think I could imagine Alan Sugar in Lycra either!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hungrycol wrote: »
    What kind of bike nut is he/they? Motorbike or bicycle? Just can't see Bono in lycra, then again I didn't think I could imagine Alan Sugar in Lycra either!

It's a Harley and not a real bike.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Is that a flat six?
    Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

CianRyan wrote: »
    Is that a flat six?
    Jesus.

technically its an inline 6

prefer this though

655px-Benelli750seiwiki.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A bit on topic for an off topic thread, but, anyone know what halfords charge for a service. Brother wants to get his crappy bike serviced and is too lazy to bring it to wheelworx...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

You buy a service plan for 24.99 and they'll service and do all maintenance for a year for free. Obviously you'll need to pay for the cables (3.89 i think) and what not if required.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

prefer this though

Me too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I played a wedding a few months ago, and in the run-up I recorded some backing tracks for the singer to practise against at home. Then recently I thought I might as well make some use of these backing tracks. So I did some multitracking with Audacity.

This is quite nice, I think.
    http://www.dermotryan.ie/music/microphone_recordings/ave_maria.mp3

(I took advantage of the multitracking to play block chords in harmonics over the backing towards the end. Quite a nice effect.)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Why did I start watching science programs tonight, I'll never sleep now, bloody planets that orbit their sun in four days, how hot and how bloody fast are they traveling?It took me about a month before I could sleep properly after reading a really simple book on quantum mechanics,the cat is both in the box and not in the box but if you open the box you ruin everything!! At least there is some mindless rugby in the morning, it may take my mind of things for 80 mins at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Only noticed the other day when the missus was riding it that the wheels on the bike I bought from Cian have a reflective strip running right around the tyre. It's an absolutely brilliant idea- it was really noticeable. All tyres should have this as standard.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=schwalbe+marathon+plus&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=0l0l0l3610l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&biw=1680&bih=963&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

RAAM RIP:

NUNsa.jpg

:pac:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement