Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTA Board Appointment Criteria.

Options
  • 25-01-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

I note the closing of the other thread on todays Irish Independent article on this topic of substantial public interest.

Whilst The Mod's stated reasoning for the closure may stand on it's own merits...Given that the OP was unwilling or unable to answer that question, this thread is being locked.

However,whilst the OP may well be unwilling/unable or otherwise to engage with the question posed,I would appreciate the opportunity to do so even if in a seperate thread.
    noelfirl wrote: »
    How does this have anything to do with the operations of the NTA, at all?

From my perspective within the Public Transport Industry,it raises some questions as to the criteria for these appointments.

Not least of which is the currently vacant position of Director of Public Transport Services,a position of GREAT significance at this particular juncture.

The "Official" line,as quoted in the article is.......
    all board appointments are "governed by the public appointments service system".

Whilst I have no desire to denigrate Ms O'Reilly's quite obviously extensive qualifications in the PR and Public Administration areas....
    Ms O'Reilly, who became engaged to an international hedge fund financier before Christmas, holds a masters degree in political and public communication, an honours degree in marketing and a diploma in business.

In June 2012, she was elected president of the Clonmel Chamber. She began her career with leading Irish entertainment PR firm, Chris Roche Publicity where she handled various accounts including Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance.

....I would be interested in teasing out the specific rationale of these qualifications and their application to the operations of a National Transport Authority to date.

What does concern me however,from reading today's article is the off the cuff references such as....
    Ms O'Reilly worked for Mr Lowry as a press advisor over the past decade, particularly during his battles with the Moriarty Tribunal.

She was also a well recognised and popular presence around Leinster House.

She was first appointed to the board of the NTA in March 2010 by the Cowen government amid charges of cronyism and her term is due to finish later this year.

Quite what being,well recognised and popular around Leinster House, SHOULD mean in relation to an NTA appointment should be,I suggest,open to robust debate.

I am also impressed with the alacrity of Ms O'Reilly's response,and with her efficient use of diversionary tactics in relation to the issue...
    In a statement to the Sunday Independent last night, Ms O'Reilly said: "The ratio of women involved in public institutions is a topical issue. I have been a diligent and effective member of the NTA Board and I would be willing to continue to make a contribution to its work. I made Michael Lowry, my local TD, amongst others, aware of this."

This statement is,to my mind,playing to a gallery which is so far,empty,but equally will soon fill up with an assortment of argumentative types shouting the odds about Gender Balance and such with absolutely NO concern about matters Transport related.

Ms O'Reilly is doubtlessly well aware that thus far,Ireland has made great strides in Gender balance...viz:

Minister For Justice-Frances Fitzgerald
    DPP- Claire Loftus
    Garda Commissioner- Noirin O Sullivan.

....then in Transport Specific roles we have.....

Road Safety Authority CEO- Moyagh Murdock.
    RSA Chairperson- Liz O'Donnell.

and perhaps of MOST significance to Ms O'Reilly's statement...

Chief Executive of The NATIONAL TRANSPORT AUTHORITY - Anne Graham.

Therefore,I would suggest that to immediately set out Gender Balance as being relevant to this specific incident is nothing more than a diversionary Public Relations Exercise,and does her no credit at all in terms of providing reasons for her re-appointment to the board of the NTA.

This article has actually made me somewhat appreciate just how stuff such as the protracted and ongoing "soft-launch" of the NTA's Leapcard could have occurred without being exposed to critical public review.

To hell with it,I wonder if I can find a suitablly politically connected individual to push my candidature for membership of the NTA board....but perhaps 35 years direct front-line experience in the Public Transport industry,combined with a broad appreciation of the current issues surrounding that Industry are of less value than a "Masters in Political & Public Communication" (The differences in these two DO interest me greatly :) ) and a close working relationship with one of Irelands most successful Politicians ;)

There may well also be indications that The NTA's Public & Political Communications skills were somewhat lacking...or at least not to Sen.Shane Ross's liking....

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/shane-ross/irish-water-and-cie-quangos-are-just-tax-collectors-30710362.html

So it might appear that having such a wealth of highly qualified PR personages on a board,does not automatically translate into an ability to answer the telephone...:)

Now...where IS that application form.......:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lowry's begging letter note to Enda becoming public means her chances of being reappointed are nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I wonder what she's been doing to prevent Clonmel's impending departure from the railway network? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

coylemj wrote: »
    Lowry's begging letter note to Enda becoming public means her chances of being reappointed are nil.

Oh I dunno bout that.....as long as these appointments remain within the political gift,then Politics will out.

The very presence of people such as Micheal Lowry in a Parliamentary setting raises SO many questions,whilst equally explaining why this womans reappointment may yet be made on the grounds of her indispencibility to the NTA.

The more central issue is why a supposedly independent Regulatory Body such as the NTA requires Ministerial Appointees at all..?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

coylemj wrote: »

Not at all, these people have a "neck like a jocky's bollix" so giving her the job amid a massive sh1tstorm over her appointment would fit with their program.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I wonder what she's been doing to prevent Clonmel's impending departure from the railway network?
    maybe on the off chance she does get reappointed she will vote for the closure? can't see the NTA saying no to it myself. but we'l see.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The very presence of people such as Micheal Lowry in a Parliamentary setting raises SO many questions .....

Exactly what questions? Following on from all the revelations about offshore accounts and various other questionable practices, the people of Tipperary North continued to elect him to the Dail.

Go down to Nenagh and Roscrea and ask them why they continue to elect him, the answer you'll get will be something along the lines of: 'sure, doesn't he look after the people who elected him'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭poggyone

Some of us work for a living and ain’t at a computer 24/7 to reply.
    The previous discussion was shut down very fast, you have to wonder why?

This whole event is a snapshot of what the NTA is all about, a handy number for those in the clique, zero knowledge or experience required for the job.
    Nice earner if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The board of the NTA are:
    • John Fitzgerald (Chairman)
    • Anne Graham (CEO)
    • Ms Linda Saunders
    • Dr Berna Grist
    • Mr Owen Keegan
    • Ms Valerie O’Reilly
    • Mr Hugh Creegan

This is what former-CEO Gerry Murphy had to say about some of them: http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/committeetakes/ACC2013012400006. In fact what Shane Ross has to say is more interesting.

Anne Graham is a civil/env/transport engineer with an MBA.
    Linda Saunders is a transport planner.
    Berna Grist is a barrister and about as close as you can get to a "household name" in the Irish planning world.
    Owen Keegan has experience in transport and local authority management
    Hugh Creegan has prior experience in the NRA.

Valerie O'Reilly runs a PR company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

The wholly disheartening thing about it all is this - if you were a transport orientated person, with many years' experience of administering same, and you somehow could negotiate the political minefield, and get yourself appointed, well, rather like George Lee in the Dáil, I think you would not last nine months before you realised that a person able to make transport oriented decisions is not wanted, but rather someone willing to play politics and keep the minister's agenda to the fore, i.e. political decisions all the way.

I have said it before. There is no shortage of intelligent and far-sighted people in this country who could sort out all the outstanding issues, from health, to the economy, to education, to transport, and sort it out in everyone's favour. But such people are not wanted. It is a political game, and the only people allowed to play it are politically minded people in the purchase of whichever corrupt political party is in power at the moment. It has nothing to do with sorting out the country. It is all solely about looking after the short term interests of the tribe.

There is no solution to the transport problems in this country, nor any other problems. It's a waste of time devising solutions. I am full of solutions. But solutions are not wanted. That's the problem you need to sort out first.

Both Jackie Healy-Rae (RIP) and Michael Lowry extracted a basket of goodies from Bertie Ahern in return for supporting his Govt. after the 2007 general election. Among those goodies was for each of them to have the ability to nominate one or two people to state boards. Jackie Healy-Rae got his own son Michael appointed to the Citizens Information Board and Lowry got his former press officer appointed to the NTA. When Michael Healy-Rae took his father's seat in the Dail after the 2011 general election, he was asked to vacate the CIB seat by the minister since if he didn't, he would remain a member of a board which was answerable to the Dail, meaning he would be policing himself. He refused to vacate the seat on the board and had to be sacked - give a dog a bone and all that!

http://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/kerry-south-td-michael-healy-rae-booted-off-cib-nixer/25554

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

In fairness to the NTA this is a broader issue of board appointments across the state, a quick look at DB board and a google of the names suggest a former special advisor for the Tainaiste made it onto the board of DB as well as a long time fine gaeler, there is a former Labour senator over on Irish rail board etc etc, what qualifications any of these had for the board other than political allegiance is anyone's guess, but this and political interference have been the Achilles heel of the semi states.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Aard wrote: »
    The board of the NTA are:

This is what former-CEO Gerry Murphy had to say about some of them: http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/committeetakes/ACC2013012400006. In fact what Shane Ross has to say is more interesting.
    Don't tell me you stopped reading before Gerry named John Tierney ( not an accountant -- boy do we know the man has form in cost overruns) on the Audit committee....
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Aard wrote: »
    I thought Shane Ross was often guilty of asking pointless or dramatic questions. There was much scope to ask about the political influences on the NTA board, the decision-making process it undertakes as part of its broad remit or how the NTA board operates in relation to fare adjudications and any other on-going matters the NTA deals with each year.

And rather than ask the interesting questions like "what is the NTA's view of fare increases to help pay for a PSO service across the country", Mr Ross T.D. looks to see why the NTA should hand over money to CIE to begin with. Little mentioned about allowing fare increases to ensure that CIÉ group can actually provide what they promised under the PSO contracts... The mechanisms, structure, history, by-laws, whatever that exist between the NTA, Dept. of Transport and the CIÉ group of companies don't really encourage price reductions. The best we seem to get is providing better services as fares rise substantially.

I'm making a guess here, but I presume that there's a limited time for questions -- so he chose to focus on one matter over another. State board appointments appears to be Ross's particular hobby horse. The other points you raise are of course important, but I'd imagine there's only so much that one person can cover. He has written subsequent articles on board appointments, so he was probably trying to get as much info/dirt(!) as possible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Most of the stuff on fares is pretty sensationalist anyway.

In the recent fare determinations there were many changes and despite what Ross claims, not all of them were negative.

His figures are purely based on cash single fares when cheaper alternatives exist, and also he doesn't mention that in general for the lowest avaliable rate for a type of fare, the NTA have watered down Dublin Buses proposed fares.

devnull wrote: »
    Most of the stuff on fares is pretty sensationalist anyway.

In the recent fare determinations there were many changes and despite what Ross claims, not all of them were negative.

His figures are purely based on cash single fares when cheaper alternatives exist, and also he doesn't mention that in general for the lowest avaliable rate for a type of fare, the NTA have watered down Dublin Buses proposed fares.

It is a simplistic analysis used to support his own view, it ignores the leap card fare reduction the simplifying of leap cards fares the introduction of a flat fare on xpresso services and reduction on same, it ignores the €1 off on second trips, it ignores the extension of child fares up to 19th birthday, it ignores the daily , weekly caps. It paints a picture of career semi state board appointees whose only concern is padding the semi state sector, any fair analysis of the NTA would see that they have not just rolled over and given DB or anyone else what they wanted, they IMO have tried to push customers towards leap and rewarded those who have while at the same time trying to ensure DB remains solvent.

On the issue of board appointments and this one was clearly a political appointment to appease Lowry by the last government, it should also be said that in the case of the NTA expertise and experience in public transport gained in any area of Public transport in Ireland whether private or semi state, would not make you a great candidate for the NTA, a body that is regulating the entire sector.

Also I think these appointments are largely fiduciary I don't think they have any real input into the day to day running of the organizations its the CEO that is the important appointment and I don't think anyone has shown those appointments are political, well at least not blantantly political anyway.

Just a reminder, Shane Ross was grilling the NTA about CIE as a whole, and Leap is barely relevant to intercity travel. There is a lot more to CIÉ than Dublin Bus stage and Xpresso fares.

He didn't say much about fares anyway? He was much more concerned with board appointments and how and why CIÉ get PSO payments. He said little on fares apart from that the increases granted (and prices for every PSO service the group offers have increased) and what is CIÉ's motivation to become more efficient if revenue is always protected.

I'm not sure his analysis or whatever you call it is even that relevant as I feel the committee got nowhere by asking Gerry Murphy and as ever, board appointments made by the minister need to be answered by the minister. Hopefully one of our TDs could even be useful and ask a question about the NTA board in the Dail...

Just a reminder, Shane Ross was grilling the NTA about CIE as a whole, and Leap is barely relevant to intercity travel. There is a lot more to CIÉ than Dublin Bus stage and Xpresso fares.

He didn't say much about fares anyway? He was much more concerned with board appointments and how and why CIÉ get PSO payments. He said little on fares apart from that the increases granted (and prices for every PSO service the group offers have increased) and what is CIÉ's motivation to become more efficient if revenue is always protected.

I'm not sure his analysis or whatever you call it is even that relevant as I feel the committee got nowhere by asking Gerry Murphy and as ever, board appointments made by the minister need to be answered by the minister. Hopefully one of our TDs could even be useful and ask a question about the NTA board in the Dail...

I was referring to the Shane Ross piece in the independent linked to in the OP, which is more or less completely about fares and is a completely biased rant which ignores the fact that the NTA is raising cash fares to push people away from cash and improve public transport, for those using leap the fare increases have been much less and in some cases decreased compared to cash fares even before the recession.

cdebru wrote: »
    I was referring to the Shane Ross piece in the independent linked to in the OP, which is more or less completely about fares and is a completely biased rant which ignores the fact that the NTA is raising cash fares to push people away from cash and improve public transport, for those using leap the fare increases have been much less and in some cases decreased compared to cash fares even before the recession.
    Fair enough, that should have been obvious even to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, what you really have to look at is the total income of the company from fares, public service contracts and capital grants or other capital subsidies. Then you have to look at whether it's going up or down in relation to some objective measure of productivity, typically vehicle kilometres or passengers carried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Well, what you really have to look at is the total income of the company from fares, public service contracts and capital grants or other capital subsidies. Then you have to look at whether it's going up or down in relation to some objective measure of productivity, typically vehicle kilometres or passengers carried.

Did you apply for a Board position last time Antoin? Perhaps you should this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I'm afraid I did not. I really do not know what the future may bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I note the closing of the other thread on todays Irish Independent article on this topic of substantial public interest.

Whilst The Mod's stated reasoning for the closure may stand on it's own merits...Given that the OP was unwilling or unable to answer that question, this thread is being locked.

However,whilst the OP may well be unwilling/unable or otherwise to engage with the question posed,I would appreciate the opportunity to do so even if in a seperate thread.

From my perspective within the Public Transport Industry,it raises some questions as to the criteria for these appointments.

Not least of which is the currently vacant position of Director of Public Transport Services,a position of GREAT significance at this particular juncture.

The "Official" line,as quoted in the article is.......

"governed by the public appointments service system"
    Guidelines on Appointments to State Boards”
    http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/Guidelines-on-Appointments-to-State-Boards.pdf
    9. Exceptions
    9.1 There are a number of specific exceptions from the arrangements. It will be open for Ministers to appoint Board members, other than strictly in accordance with the process but only in circumstances where:-

9.1.5 In the case of proposed re-appointments to State Boards where the Minister is satisfied having consulted with the Chair that the Board member has already demonstrated through their performance as a member of the State Board their effectiveness and contribution which warrants their re-appointment.

Valerie O'Reilly is on the board so it would be case of re-appointment, or not. Her position is up in March and there are 2 other terms up this year and number of already vacant positions, there no specific ads up for them...

can anyone find an old ad for expression of interest for transport department boards ? heres a general ad from 2013 http://nta.gov.ie/feature.aspx?Id=167

Ministers keep leaving it till the last minute to fill board positions meaning they can claim emergency and ignore the guidelines
    http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2014/minister-announces-further-state-board-appointments
    The Road Safety Authority (RSA), because of its crucial public service remit in helping to save lives.
    The National Transport Authority (NTA), which will become inquorate by the end of November.

3 people were appointed in 2010 to NTA by Minister Dempsey for 4 years only 1 stayed on for 1 more year Valerie O'Reilly
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-12-07.1720.0&s=%22valerie+o%27reilly%22#g1722.0.r
    http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/content/corporate/english/general/state-board-membership-and-approved-fees/20150112-report-state-boards.pdf

Criteria

the change from DTA to NTA was covered in the Public Transport Regulation Act 2009 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0037/print.html#sec29 the 2008 act covers the criteria

Dublin Transport Authority Act 2008
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/act/pub/0015/sec0014.html#sec14
    Membership of Authority.

14.— (1) The Authority shall consist of a chairperson and 9 ordinary members who shall perform and carry out the functions of the Authority in accordance with this Act.
    (d) the chairperson and 6 ordinary members, from persons who in the opinion of the Minister have wide experience in relation to transport, industrial, commercial, financial, land use planning or environmental matters, the organisation of workers or administration.

which can be used to describe anyone

(4) A member of the Authority appointed in accordance with subsection (2)(d) including the chairperson—

(a) shall be appointed for a period of not more than 5 years,

tments.

ad in the IT for this (after the previous one became CEO)

here
    http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/15586.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ad in the IT for this (after the previous one became CEO)

here
    http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/15586.htm
    "Experience of working in the transport sector and knowledge and understanding of the key drivers of transport policy would be a particular advantage"

only a particular advantage? really?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

"Experience of working in the transport sector and knowledge and understanding of the key drivers of transport policy would be a particular advantage"

only a particular advantage? really?

And the actual list of criteria:

The ideal candidate for this position will have:
    • A successful track record of significant achievement as a leader and senior manager in a large, complex organisation in either the public or private sector
    • Exceptional leadership skills and an ability to bring stakeholders together to work to achieve a common purpose
    • Excellent communication, interpersonal and networking skills with a proven track record of managing in a complex institutional environment
    • Excellent programme management skills

Experience of working in the transport sector and knowledge and understanding of the key drivers of transport policy would be a particular advantage.

€125k starting salary....nice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

But seriously... Can she make a decent cup of tea? Eh!

can someone help me figure this out
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2011-09-20.2294.0&s=%22Jim+Deegan%22#g2296.0.r
    Leo Varadkar (Minister, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport 20 September 2011
    Member Date of Expiry/Renewal
    Ms. Valerie O’Reilly 14/03/2014
    Ms. Margaret O’Shaughnessy 30/11/2014
    Mr. Jim Deegan 30/11/2014

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2012-05-09.676.0&s=%22Dublin+Transport+Authority%22+appointment#g678.0.r
    The current members of the Authority were appointed on 1st December 2009 by my predecessor in accordance with Section 14 of the Dublin Transport Authority Act, 2008 as amended by the Public Transport Regulation Act 2009 and their term expires on 30th November 2014.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2012-10-02a.1557&s=Jim+Deegan#g1559.r
    Valerie O’Reilly 15/03/2010
    Margaret O’Shaughnessy 31/03/2010
    Jim Deegan 04/06/2010

(4) A member of the Authority appointed in accordance with subsection (2)(d) including the chairperson—
    (a) shall be appointed for a period of not more than 5 years,

Margaret O’Shaughnessy and Jim Deegan left the board in 2014

so Valerie O’Reilly's term was already extended last year

its seems to me that there is currently 5 vacancies soon to be 6!

http://dublinstreams.com/charts/ntaboard.html

• Advertisement

Dublin Transport Authority Act 2008 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/act/pub/0015/sec0014.html#sec14
    Membership of Authority. 14.— (1) The Authority shall consist of a chairperson and 9 ordinary members who shall perform and carry out the functions of the Authority in accordance with this Act.
    don't boards have to be uneven, is there a non-voting member in the ex-officio positions?

Advertisement