Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A3 National Championships 2014

Options
  • 23-07-2014 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Looks like a nice circuit, and it's great to see that there's a deal for accommodation!

However, according to http://www.irishcyclingphotos.com/?p=38566 the organiser is only accepting entries via POST (postal order). Seriously, have we regressed to the 1990s?

Considering Cycling Ireland now have the facility to organise entry and payment on their own site (which was used for the elite nationals road race and TT), along with third-party sites like precision timing, etc, it seems a bit mad that this is via snail mail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭De Bhál

As you say it definitely needs to be online entry in this day and age.
    There seems to be very little info about it online also apart from that bit on the irishcyclingphotos website.

The Deenside Cup in Castlecomer earlier this year was an example in how to promote a race properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

John Rowan FTW again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    John Rowan FTW again!

Have you seen the course? Johnny Holland ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I agree. all the volunteers organising races should get off their arses and put up facebook pages and online payment to make it slightly easier to enter a race.

Obviously that was said slightly tounge in cheek :)

From my own experience dealing with people who organise a lot of races, and talking to other people who organise races, there is a core group of people who do the organising. They have done it for years, before cycling was so popular, and will probably continue to do it for years because they love it. Some of these people may or may not have the ability or access to set up online payments, or facebook pages, or anything else online. As new blood comes through the clubs, I'm sure that will change, but for now, be thankful that there are people out there willing to put in a lot of their own free time to organise cycles races so you can go race your bike every week. Is it a lot to ask that you respect their chosen method of payment? If it really gets to you maybe contact the organising club offering your services? I've never heard of anyone offering to help being turned away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Inquitus wrote: »
    Have you seen the course? Johnny Holland ftw!

You don't believe in John?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

I do understand that a lot of folks organising races may not be tech-savvy, but they also are usually part of a larger group or club which almost always contain such people. They should be able to draw upon these folks to help out, IMO.

Last year's A3 National Champs was incredibly well promoted by Omagh Wheelers, and registration was done via eventmaster.ie.

This year CI have provided facilities to make things even easier (and maybe even without a commission which third-party sites would charge).

Also, perfect example of how to promote a race is also the Laragh Classic:

http://www.sttiernanscc.com/laragh-classic-road-race

Cond0r wrote: »
    I do understand that a lot of folks organising races may not be tech-savvy, but they also are usually part of a larger group or club which almost always contain such people. They should be able to draw upon these folks to help out, IMO.

A club may Contain such people, but a club can not force said people to volunteer.

St Tiernans obviously have people willing to volunteer who are tech savvy. Not every club has that luxury.

CI have provided facilities, but again, if you don't have the experience or technical ability to use them, they are about as much use as a hairdryer to a fish.

lennymc wrote: »
    A club may Contain such people, but a club can not force said people to volunteer.

I totally understand this, I'm a member of a club committee myself. I think that if you're going to promote a national champs event like this, you need to be set up for it.

I would rather the committee focused on providing a safe well run event myself. Sure, it's nice to have bells and whistles, but not everyone willing to take on a national c'ship has the ability to provide that, but they do have the ability to put on a great event. I don't think that not having online entry means that a club is not set up to take on the race. If it was a requirement that online entry was mandatory I'm sure there would be a lot less clubs willing to take on event organisation. You also run the risk of preventing people from entering races if you have online entry only, as some people who race may not feel comfortable online. This was raised at the AGM last year.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Anyway, what is the route for the champs like? Wondering whether to dust off the postal orders or not

sheepfield wrote: »
    Anyway, what is the route for the champs like? Wondering whether to dust off the postal orders or not

http://www.strava.com/routes/667815

Very decent climb x9 with a little bit of flat in between the descent and climb again.

I would rather the committee focused on providing a safe well run event myself. Sure, it's nice to have bells and whistles, but not everyone willing to take on a national c'ship has the ability to provide that, but they do have the ability to put on a great event. I don't think that not having online entry means that a club is not set up to take on the race. If it was a requirement that online entry was mandatory I'm sure there would be a lot less clubs willing to take on event organisation. You also run the risk of preventing people from entering races if you have online entry only, as some people who race may not feel comfortable online. This was raised at the AGM last year.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yep, I know. I agree totally about the safe and well run event part. First impressions are formed at registration time, and that left me a little worried about the general organisation. I realise one doesn't necessarily lead to the other, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Yep, I know. I agree totally about the safe and well run event part. First impressions are formed at registration time, and that left me a little worried about the general organisation. I realise one doesn't necessarily lead to the other, but there you go.

It's not a crime to support AnPost. I think that company probably contributes more to Irish Cycling than most others I can think of.

Snail mail only takes one day. You have weeks to enter so no big drama!

Blarney have organised big events for many years so I do not think there will be a problem in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

ragazzo wrote: »
    .... Blarney have organised big events for many years so I do not think there will be a problem in that regard.

There are two clubs based in Blarney

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

fixie fox wrote: »
    There are two clubs based in Blarney

One Team and one club perhaps. My point is that cycling people in Blarney have organised many different events over the years. These same people are probably now spread between club and Team but I still think the A3/junior Championships will be a well organised event.

Maybe you have information that leads you to a different conclusion.
    Time will tell, I suppose.

Are the A3 and Juniors a combined race or separate races?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭wav1

Are the A3 and Juniors a combined race or separate races?
    They will be 2 separate races.If I am to be honest [and this goes back to another topic which I have no intention of addressing now]last years A3 champs was about the most negative A3 race of the year.

wav1 wrote: »
    They will be 2 separate races.If I am to be honest [and this goes back to another topic which I have no intention of addressing now]last years A3 champs was about the most negative A3 race of the year.

The circuit looks pretty selective this year.

The circuit looks pretty selective this year.
    Hope so.A3s will need to race
    because if it follows the same format as the last 2 yrs,pretty good chance of the juniors catching up on a 10k odd circuit.2 races will be on at the same time but I could be wrong.Hopefully will be 2 great races on the day in a beautiful neck of the woods.

• Advertisement

Huh? Why is that?

Huh? Why is that?

no crazy juniors to constantly attack probably. :)

no crazy juniors to constantly attack probably. :)

There were plenty of crazy A3s doing the attacking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Using postal entries is hardly an indication that the race won't be well organised. Great races like Newry 3 day etc still use postal entries. It's not ideal but not something I'd get hung up on.

Fair play to the organizers for taking this on and choosing a more selective course. The last two years have been flat courses and as Wav1 says the racing has been quite negative. I met one of the the organizers of this year's race in Omagh last year and they were taking notes on how they might improve things in 2014. That impressed me although any event run by Omagh Wheelers will be hard to beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

because if it follows the same format as the last 2 yrs,pretty good chance of the juniors catching up on a 10k odd circuit.2 races will be on at the same time but I could be wrong.Hopefully will be 2 great races on the day in a beautiful neck of the woods.

Yes they probably will :

---

t(A3) = 95.4/s(A3) time/speed of A3
    t(J) = 106/s(J)

If juniors were to catch A3's on the line at the end of the A3 race then

t(A3) + 1/12 = t(J) Juniors have 5 min head start which 1/12 hour

So 95.4/s(A3) + 1/12 = 106/s(J)
    (95.4*12+s(A3))/12*s(A3) = 106/s(J)

s(J) = (106*12*s(A3)) / (95.4*12+s(A3)) = 1272*s(A3) / (1144.8 + s(A3))

So if the A3's average 37km/hr Juniors need to average (1272*37)/(1144.8+37) = 39.8km/hr to catch them !

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I'm not sure your right about 2012 as the A3 race avg was 41k hr according to what i had ridden that day.

The Juniors that day was 40.5 so we were still quicker no chance of ever being caught not sure about last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I'm not sure your right about 2012 as the A3 race avg was 41k hr according to what i had ridden that day.

The Juniors that day was 40.5 so we were still quicker no chance of ever being caught not sure about last year.

2 years go there was under 40 odd riders in junior race, with under 20 finishing, if memory serves me correct. Due to how it raced (mullen and fallon going off by themselves and everyone else forming an orderly paceline for 70k to bring them back) it dosnt surprise me it was slower. Dunbar will easily knock a minute out of whatever speed the a3s go up that climb I reckon. Keeping in mind itll spread out alot especially on the later laps and if the a3s are negative, it could well be groupo compacto

Heres my call for tomorrow Con Doherty from Covey to win the A 3 champs and covey also for team medals.Dylan O Brien for jun r/r and NRPT team medals

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Heres my call for tomorrow Con Doherty from Covey to win the A 3 champs and covey also for team medals.Dylan O Brien for jun r/r and NRPT team medals

No Con as he is on the National Tri squad and they won't allow him to race!! Someone else will have to step up!

• Advertisement

No Con as he is on the National Tri squad and they won't allow him to race!! Someone else will have to step up!

Thanks for the info.More wide open than ever so as I had him down as the big favourite.
    Going now for Aidan Wall from Navan

Advertisement