Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best debut album in the last 20 years

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭mosstin

dots03 wrote: »
    Good call on Young Team...an amazing debut album by a band that continues to keep me listening almost 20 years after first hearing them.

There were lots of amazing debuts around the early to mid 90s with many of them now cemented as classics in the history of music. For me personally Grace by Jeff Buckley stands out. It's a real tragedy he never got a chance to follow it up.

Just outside the 20 year criteria but worth a mention anyway is Ten by Pearl Jam... I still listen to it from start to finish every couple of months.

Grace is also just outside the 20 year period. Released in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

dots03 wrote: »
    Good call on Young Team...an amazing debut album by a band that continues to keep me listening almost 20 years after first hearing them.

There were lots of amazing debuts around the early to mid 90s with many of them now cemented as classics in the history of music. For me personally Grace by Jeff Buckley stands out. It's a real tragedy he never got a chance to follow it up.

Just outside the 20 year criteria but worth a mention anyway is Ten by Pearl Jam... I still listen to it from start to finish every couple of months.

He did have a second album, sketches for my sweetheart, the drunk. Although I think it was released posthumously.

Edit: While i'm here, Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams is an amazing album. Think it qualifies as a debut album for him as it was solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Probably because Boxer is their fourth album!

whoops!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

He did have a second album, sketches for my sweetheart, the drunk. Although I think it was released posthumously.
    It wasn't a proper album though it was a collection of demos for what could have been his second album My Sweetheart, The Drunk. Hence the name Sketches for My Sweetheart, The Drunk. Some good songs on it but it was still rough around the edges and far from being the finished article. And yes his mother controversially released it after he had died.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

John Murry-The Graceless Age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

White Lies – To Lose My Life

Honourable mentions:
    Chemical Brothers – Exit Planet Dust
    Kasabian – Kasabian
    Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

It wasn't a proper album though it was a collection of demos for what could have been his second album My Sweetheart, The Drunk. Hence the name Sketches for My Sweetheart, The Drunk. Some good songs on it but it was still rough around the edges and far from being the finished article. And yes his mother controversially released it after he had died.

It was inevitable that any demos etc. would be released at some stage, given the high regard everybody had for his talent. I personally don't view it at as an album either. Like you said, it's very rough, and he could have scrapped everything and started again from scratch (which is not an unheard of choice when recording an album).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

the fischerpooner album #1 (2001) deserves a mention..is it a debut I think so some amazing and influential tracks like emerge,sweetness and natural disaster ..

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

Eagulls,Sleaford Mods? and ought all excellent debuts from last year.
    Bummed that eagulls gig didnt happen they were on fire at that time.

i think last years album by sleaford mods was their 6th or 7th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

i think last years album by sleaford mods was their 6th or 7th

Could be, actually dunno why I mentioned them at all! Ought was the standout debut record from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Couple that just about sneak in the 20 year rule:
    Belle & Sebastian - Tigermilk
    Sparklehorse - Vivadixie....

Doves - Lost Souls
    Interpol - TOTBL
    Sigur Ros - Agaetis byrjun
    British Sea Power - The decline of BSP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Von was the debut Sigur Ros album, not Agaetis byrjun.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Travis - Good feeling
    Damien Rice - O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Von was the debut Sigur Ros album, not Agaetis byrjun.

Damn, yeah I forgot about Von.

What band calls their second album "an alright start"???

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Lungs-Florence and the machine (deluxe version)

I've never heard an album as good and I don't know if she'll ever top it. Which is funny, because at first I regretted buying it. But it eventually grew on me and it's now the only album that I've never tired of. It's such a good mix of big, huge sounding anthems and more stripped back raw songs. Also helped me get an A in my leaving cert with a story inspired by Bird song.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

A few that haven't been mentioned that are possibly worth a mention...

Crystal Castles - I
    The Postal Service - Give Up
    Sufjan Stevens - A Sun Came
    Villagers - Becoming a Jackal
    LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem
    The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
    Queens of the Stoneage - Queens of the Stoneage
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    At the Drive In - Acrobatic Tenement
    Purity Ring - Shrines
    Drenge - Drenge
    Diiv - Oshin
    WU LYF - Go Tell Fire to the Mountain
    The Microphones - Don't Wake Me Up
    Bombay Bicycle Club - I Had the Blues but I Shook Them Loose
    A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts...

Overall if I had to pick one it would be Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights (with Alt-J - An Awesome Wave being a close second).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

theteal wrote: »
    Stereophonics - Word Gets Around

The follow ups never got near it!
    ShaneU wrote: »
    I've listened to Vampire Weekend, The Killers, The Strokes and Arctic Monkey's debuts a ridiculous amount. Find it hard to pick just one.

Would have to agree with the Strokes, Arctic Monkeys and Stereophonics.

The Darkness debut album was pretty good too :D

JJ72 had a brilliant one and The Libertines, i could go on for a while yet, I would probably go for the Arctic Monkeys debut as I'm still a huge fan of theirs

Advertisement