Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Rio 2016 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

RIO2016

Moving-picture-Ireland-flag-waving-in-wind-animated-gif-1.gifQualification Update Moving-picture-Ireland-flag-waving-in-wind-animated-gif-1.gif

Women's Field Hockey -
    Olympic Qualification Tournament

Ireland's women put in a fantastic performance to thrash Belarus 7-0 and secure their passage to the next stage of Olympic qualification. Ireland exploded out of the traps and were 3-0 up by the end of the first quarter. From there they never looked back and the result is a huge boost going into the final match against Canada, having already faced each other in the pool stage (Ireland victorious 2-1 on that occasion).
    Huge congratulations to the Irish women's team :)

Pool A:
    Mar. 14 (14:45) Ireland 5-0 Ukraine
    Mar. 14 (17:00) Canada 5-0 Turkey
    Mar. 15 (15:15) Canada 1-2 Ireland
    Mar. 15 (17:30) Ukraine 3-0 Turkey
    Mar. 17 (14:45) Ireland 13-0 Turkey
    Mar. 17 (17:00) Ukraine 1-3 Canada

POOL A|P|W|WD|LD|L|F|A|+/-|PTS
    Ireland|3|3|0|0|0|20|1|+19|9
    Canada|3|2|0|0|1|9|3|+6|6
    Ukraine|3|1|0|0|2|4|8|-4|3
    Turkey|3|0|0|0|3|0|21|-21|0

Pool B:
    Mar. 14 (10:15) Belarus 2-0 Austria
    Mar. 14 (12:30) Chile 4-0 Lithuania
    Mar. 15 (10:45) Austria 4-0 Lithuania
    Mar. 15 (13:00) Chile 2-1 Belarus
    Mar. 17 (10:15) Belarus 3-3 Lithuania (Belarus won 4-1 after shoot-out)
    Mar. 17 (12:30) Austria 0-6 Chile

POOL B|P|W|WD|LD|L|F|A|+/-|PTS
    Chile|3|3|0|0|0|12|1|+11|9
    Belarus|3|1|1|0|1|6|5|+1|5
    Austria|3|1|0|0|2|4|8|-4|3
    Lithuania|3|0|0|1|2|3|11|-8|1

Knock-out Stage:
    Mar. 19 (10:30) Canada 5-1 Austria
    Mar. 19 (13:00) Belarus 5-1 Ukraine
    Mar. 19 (15:30) Ireland 2-0 Lithuania
    Mar. 19 (18:00) Chile 14-2 Turkey

5th-8th Place Classification:
    Mar. 21 (09:30) Ukraine 0-2 Lithuania
    Mar. 21 (12:00) Austria 6-0 Turkey

Semi-Finals:
    Mar. 21 (14:30) Belarus 0-7 Ireland
    Mar. 21 (17:00) Canada 0-0 Chile (Canada won 5-4 after shoot-out)

7th-8th Place Play-Off:
    Mar. 22 (09:30) Ukraine v Turkey

5th-6th Place Play-Off:
    Mar. 22 (12:00) Lithuania v Austria

3rd-4th Place Play-Off:
    Mar. 22 (14:30) Belarus v Chile

FINAL:
    Mar. 22 (17:00) Ireland v Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Great weekend for Ireland. I don't think this weekend has delivered one bad story.

RIO2016

Moving-picture-Ireland-flag-waving-in-wind-animated-gif-1.gifQualification Update Moving-picture-Ireland-flag-waving-in-wind-animated-gif-1.gif

Women's Field Hockey -
    Olympic Qualification Tournament

Ireland were crowned the winners of the World Hockey League Qualifier in UCD this evening after a dramatic shoot-out victory over Canada. With the scores tied at 1-1 after a nip and tuck encounter, the match went to the dreaded shoot-out and the Irish women held their nerve, netting 4 of their penalties to claim the honours.
    Canada join Ireland in advancing to the next round of the World League / Olympic Qualification.
    Well done to the Irish women on a successful tournament to cap a great weekend for Irish sport :)

Pool A:
    Mar. 14 (14:45) Ireland 5-0 Ukraine
    Mar. 14 (17:00) Canada 5-0 Turkey
    Mar. 15 (15:15) Canada 1-2 Ireland
    Mar. 15 (17:30) Ukraine 3-0 Turkey
    Mar. 17 (14:45) Ireland 13-0 Turkey
    Mar. 17 (17:00) Ukraine 1-3 Canada

POOL A|P|W|WD|LD|L|F|A|+/-|PTS
    Ireland|3|3|0|0|0|20|1|+19|9
    Canada|3|2|0|0|1|9|3|+6|6
    Ukraine|3|1|0|0|2|4|8|-4|3
    Turkey|3|0|0|0|3|0|21|-21|0

Pool B:
    Mar. 14 (10:15) Belarus 2-0 Austria
    Mar. 14 (12:30) Chile 4-0 Lithuania
    Mar. 15 (10:45) Austria 4-0 Lithuania
    Mar. 15 (13:00) Chile 2-1 Belarus
    Mar. 17 (10:15) Belarus 3-3 Lithuania (Belarus won 4-1 after shoot-out)
    Mar. 17 (12:30) Austria 0-6 Chile

POOL B|P|W|WD|LD|L|F|A|+/-|PTS
    Chile|3|3|0|0|0|12|1|+11|9
    Belarus|3|1|1|0|1|6|5|+1|5
    Austria|3|1|0|0|2|4|8|-4|3
    Lithuania|3|0|0|1|2|3|11|-8|1

Knock-out Stage:
    Mar. 19 (10:30) Canada 5-1 Austria
    Mar. 19 (13:00) Belarus 5-1 Ukraine
    Mar. 19 (15:30) Ireland 2-0 Lithuania
    Mar. 19 (18:00) Chile 14-2 Turkey

5th-8th Place Classification:
    Mar. 21 (09:30) Ukraine 0-2 Lithuania
    Mar. 21 (12:00) Austria 6-0 Turkey

Semi-Finals:
    Mar. 21 (14:30) Belarus 0-7 Ireland
    Mar. 21 (17:00) Canada 0-0 Chile (Canada won 5-4 after shoot-out)

7th-8th Place Play-Off:
    Mar. 22 (09:30) Ukraine 2-1 Turkey

5th-6th Place Play-Off:
    Mar. 22 (12:00) Lithuania 1-2 Austria

3rd-4th Place Play-Off:
    Mar. 22 (14:30) Belarus 2-3 Chile

FINAL:
    Mar. 22 (17:00) Ireland 1-1 Canada (Ireland won 4-3 after shoot-out)

*Ireland and Canada advance to World Hockey League Semi-Final Round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The draw for the men's semi finals has been made.

Ireland are in the Belgian Group and have been drawn in pool 2

In Pool B are
    Britain, Belgium, Malaysia and Egypt

In the other Pool is Australia, India, Pakistan, Poland, France.

India is already qualfied but it's likely Ireland will have to finish in top 3 to qualify for Rio. A very, very tough ask

Also Cian O'Connor had a win in Show Jumping with his new horse. He specifically mentioned that this would be his Olympic horse

http://www.worldofshowjumping.com/World-Cup-events/Cian-O-Connor-wins-Live-Oak-International-CSI2-W-Grand-Prix-and-World-Cup-qualifier.html

He was 2nd in the speed event on Sunday

http://eventcontent.hippoonline.de/998/sta_erg/04_ergENG.htm?style=longines

• Advertisement

Women's hockey semi finals confirmed just now too

http://www.fih.ch/en/news-5648-women-s-hwl-semi-final-line-ups-confirmed

Ireland must finish in top of these in the tournament in Valencia

Argentina, USA, Germany, China, Great Britain, South Africa, Spain, Ireland, Canada and Uruguay

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flynng

Excellent result in Cairo for our Modern Pentathletes. Does anyone know what the qualification process is for these two outstanding competitors. They took London by storm and hopefully will qualify for Rio.

flynng wrote: »
    Excellent result in Cairo for our Modern Pentathletes. Does anyone know what the qualification process is for these two outstanding competitors. They took London by storm and hopefully will qualify for Rio.

Qualification is already underway and the first direct chance they will have to qualify is at the World Cup Final in Minsk in June. This seems an unlikely pathway though as only the men's and women's champion will qualify via this route and Natalya still has a lot of work to do just to qualify for the World Cup Final.

The next direct opportunity to qualify is at the World Championships in July of this year. However, only the top 3 finishers (not already qualified) in the men's and women's events will qualify via this pathway.

Therefore, a much more likely opportunity to qualify comes just after that at the European Championships in August. The top 8 finishers (not already qualified) in the men's and women's events will book their tickets to Rio 2016.
    Hopefully we can get at least one qualifier by that stage but if not there are still plenty of opportunities to qualify, with the World Championships in 2016 providing another 3 quotas per gender and the final remaining quotas (6) being distributed through the Olympic ranking system. Arthur is already in a strong position to qualify, he just needs to continue current form and he'll easily make the team for Rio. Natalya has had a few problems this year and although there is nothing to panic about yet, she will need to turn things around very soon. Failing to make the World Cup Final this year would be a blow to her chances but there would still be a lot to play for. Besides she still has time to make the World Cup Final this season and gain valuable Olympic ranking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Is there an equivalent event to the relay event at World Cups in the Olympics in Modern Pentathlon? To be honest I don't really understand how the various competitions work in that sport.

Is there an equivalent event to the relay event at World Cups in the Olympics in Modern Pentathlon? To be honest I don't really understand how the various competitions work in that sport.

No unfortunately it's not an Olympic event and as such the appetite of the powerhouse nations to participate in this event at World Cup level shifts quite often. Sometimes they participate, other times not. Still, back to back silvers (and very nearly gold last weekend) is a wonderful achievement by our duo. They are putting Ireland firmly on the modern pentathlon world map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Similar to Dan Man, Dutch statistical company Infostrada Sports have started to run a virtual medal table ahead of the games next year. I'm not sure how similar or different their approach is to Dan's, but here is the link to it anyway.

http://products.infostradasports.com/documentation/vmt/

Currently they have us sitting on three golds (Taylor, Heffernan and McIlroy) but no other medals. Three golds from three different sports would be record breaking though so I'd probably settle for that now if I was offered it!

Similar to Dan Man, Dutch statistical company Infostrada Sports have started to run a virtual medal table ahead of the games next year. I'm not sure how similar or different their approach is to Dan's, but here is the link to it anyway.

http://products.infostradasports.com/documentation/vmt/

Currently they have us sitting on three golds (Taylor, Heffernan and McIlroy) but no other medals. Three golds from three different sports would be record breaking though so I'd probably settle for that now if I was offered it!

Like Dan, they use world championships and world rankings. So Taylor and Heffernan are our only current world medalists and McIlroy is ranked world number one for Golf. Very fluid as the games approach

[quote="Cosmo Kramer;94833749

Currently they have us sitting on three golds (Taylor, Heffernan and McIlroy) but no other medals. Three golds from three different sports would be record breaking though so I'd probably settle for that now if I was offered it![/quote]

There have to be a few others who could sneak in for bronze.

After both won by unanimous verdict tonight against Argentine opponents, Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlan are just one win away from Olympic qualification.
    There is a slight added complication of the importance of margin of victory to look out for in their next match, but simply, if they win by unanimous verdict next time out, they will book their tickets to Rio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flynng

How many sports do ye think we will be represented by at Rio? London was fantastic in terms of the range of sports our competitors qualified for - triathlon, gymnastics, modern pentathlon, judo, badminton etc etc. Do ye think there will be any surprises for Rio on the horizon e.g. fencing, BMX, mountain biking, taekwondo?

flynng wrote: »
    How many sports do ye think we will be represented by at Rio? London was fantastic in terms of the range of sports our competitors qualified for - triathlon, gymnastics, modern pentathlon, judo, badminton etc etc. Do ye think there will be any surprises for Rio on the horizon e.g. fencing, BMX, mountain biking, taekwondo?

Here is my quick (very quick) projection on our qualification chances......

Sports in which we have already qualified quotas:
    • Athletics (2 quotas)
    • Equestrian (4 quotas)
    • Sailing (4 quotas - across 3 events)

Events in which we will almost definitely qualify quotas:

• Badminton
    • Boxing
    • Cycling
    • Golf
    • Swimming
    • Triathlon

Sports in which we have a very strong chance of qualifying quotas:
    • Modern Pentathlon
    • Rowing

Sports in which I would give us at least a 50% chance of qualifying quotas (these sports were the hardest to categorise.....we have a decent chance to qualify 1 quota in them, but it's a precarious enough situation. Canoeing could potentially yield more than 1 quota for us, but again extremely hard to predict right now):
    • Canoeing
    • Gymnastics
    • Judo
    • Shooting

Borderline sports that we could qualify quotas for, but less probable than probable:

• Archery
    • Hockey
    • Rugby Sevens
    • Taekwondo
    • Wrestling

I hope I haven't forgotten any sport off the top of my head.

Currently it seems as though we are unlikely to qualify any track cyclists directly for Rio 2016. This would be a big disappointment, particularly as it doesn't reflect the amount of progress we are making in this sport. This could change if one of our riders has a magnificent season next year (e.g. winning a medal at the World Championships) but there will be a chance we could claim 1 quota through invitation or reallocation of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

It's a shame we won't have a weightlifting entry, would have a real medal prospect in Clarence Kennedy.

ectoraige wrote: »
    It's a shame we won't have a weightlifting entry, would have a real medal prospect in Clarence Kennedy.

What's to stop him going to Rio if he's good enough?

feargale wrote: »
    What's to stop him going to Rio if he's good enough?

Nothing. If he's good enough he'll qualify

Best of luck to him

2 men got the Olympic marathon standard at the weekend in Rotterdam; Mick Clohisey and Thomas Frazer. It appears the standard is quite easy (2:18) and we will definitely have a full team of men to enter

• Advertisement

Actually that's now wrong. The standards have been officially released

http://www.iaaf.org/download/download?filename=643c6a52-5447-42ff-a2f6-311b26a5b786.pdf&urlSlug=rio-2016-olympic-games-entry-standards

Based on 2014 performances, Ireland would qualify the following athletes (not many...)

Men
    800m - Mark English
    400m - Hurdles Tom Barr
    20k walk - Rob Heffernan
    50k walk - Rob Heffernan/Brendan Boyce

Women
    200m - Kelly Proper
    20k walk - Laura Reynolds
    Marathon - 5 qualifiers!

Dodge wrote: »
    Actually that's now wrong. The standards have been officially released

http://www.iaaf.org/download/download?filename=643c6a52-5447-42ff-a2f6-311b26a5b786.pdf&urlSlug=rio-2016-olympic-games-entry-standards

Based on 2014 performances, Ireland would qualify the following athletes (not many...)

Men
    800m - Mark English
    400m - Hurdles Tom Barr
    20k walk - Rob Heffernan
    50k walk - Rob Heffernan/Brendan Boyce

Women
    200m - Kelly Proper
    20k walk - Laura Reynolds
    Marathon - 5 qualifiers!

Alex Wright in the 20km and 50km walk also.

Our men's 4x400m relay team would also qualify based on 2014 results. Currently they are in a qualification position for the world championships in Beijing this year and I think they will make it to Rio also when the qualification process is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Dan man wrote: »
    Alex Wright in the 20km and 50km walk also.

Our men's 4x400m relay team would also qualify based on 2014 results. Currently they are in a qualification position for the world championships in Beijing this year and I think they will make it to Rio also when the qualification process is finished.

And we'll probably qualify a few more. Brian gregan, Paul robinson, ciaran o lionard to name 3.

And we'll probably qualify a few more. Brian gregan, Paul robinson, ciaran o lionard to name 3.

Yes, I think we'll have 20+ in the end (if we qualify a relay team).

Some bad news to report today on the Irish Olympic front..... our judo hopeful and London 2012 Olympian Lisa Kearney has posted on Twitter to say that her Rio Olympic dream has come to an end due to a knee injury:
    Unfortunately due to a bad knee injury my quest for Rio has come to a premature and abrupt end, thanks to every1 for the messages of support the road to recovery will be long but with an amazing team behind me I have no doubt I will recover

Very sad news, she had only recently a bronze medal at the IJF Grand Prix event in Samsun, Turkey :(.
    Wishing her a full recovery and all the best in the future.

Paddy Barnes is fighting in the early hours of Sunday morning. If he wins he qualifies for Rio.

Paddy Barnes is fighting in the early hours of Sunday morning. If he wins he qualifies for Rio.

And it's in the bag, Paddy did the business tonight :)

And it's double success tonight, Michael Conlan won also and qualifies Ireland for the Olympics in the bantamweight division. Great night for us :)

Martin Fagan also got the Rio time in the Zurich marathon. We'll see what happens there

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Martin Fagan also got the Rio time in the Zurich marathon. We'll see what happens there

The marathon looks like our most competitive division with regards qualifying times. Selecting Fagan would be a difficult decision but I suppose he's done his time.

Advertisement