Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dietary advice/ weight loss

Options
  • 17-02-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hoping i could get some advice from here.
    Stats are as follows
    90kgs
    5ft10"
    male

Currently eating 1600-1700 calories a day with a macro split of 45p/30f/25c
    I find a low carb diet suits me best for weight loss, from searching online i believe to be in between an endomorph and mesomorph. ie gain weight easily find it hard to lose.

typical day looks something like this
    Breakfast: 1 whole egg 3 egg whits scrambled with a coffee
    Lunch: chicken salad, (chicken breast, lettuce, tomatoe, cucumber, red onion)
    Dinner: Protein source of some king. Red meat, poultry or fish with about 60g rice and green veg (broccoli, runner beans, asparagus) and then maybe some carrots
    Snacks: depending on what i need to hit for macros itll be either, fruit(berries) rice cakes, peanut butter, tuna or protein shake

with this diet i really should be losing weight but im struggling with shedding the fat big time. I am training between 4-5 times a week minimum of 3 weight sessions mixed in with HIIT training and low intensity cardio (cycling, jogging, hill walking)

Am i missing something here that can help me aid my weight loss? any advice is appreciate im hoping to get down to 80kg for summer i definitely think it is possible but feel as if ive plateaued.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

You're diet looks pretty good. Is peanut butter high in calories? Nuts are one of the highest calorie sources in my diet.

I found the biggest impact on fat for me was long runs. 13k to 22k had noticeable loss. Phone tracker indicated the runs used over 1000 extra calories so that explains that. It was around 1000 for 13k and 1700 for 22k. Aside from that it's a slow steady process.

One thing is that fat seemed to only leave except the belly last. It left everywhere else (legs, arms etc) first. Arms got pretty skinny and people made comments on them. No harm doing some upper body work to try and avoid that. I've not specific advice on what makes arms less skinny looking. Pull ups and push ups might do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

thanks for the advice, i try to avoid long distance running though. Havent got to worry about arm size theyre going to affect me to much, what i am basically trying to do is to cut fat.

Shouldve probably said im looking to do more of a cut then lose actual weight, so im really just trying to shed fat. All my lifts have gone up in the gym currently squatting 140 which i was really surprised by.

Someone said to me that i could just be losing fat and gaining muscle really didnt think that that worked like that though. Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Are you using the scales as your indicator? If you are, ditch them and get your body fat measured. Your diet seems to be very good.

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    thanks for the advice, i try to avoid long distance running though. Havent got to worry about arm size theyre going to affect me to much, what i am basically trying to do is to cut fat.

Shouldve probably said im looking to do more of a cut then lose actual weight, so im really just trying to shed fat. All my lifts have gone up in the gym currently squatting 140 which i was really surprised by.

Someone said to me that i could just be losing fat and gaining muscle really didnt think that that worked like that though. Any opinions?

Is this your first time hitting the weights properly and looking at your diet? It can be common for beginner lifters to put on muscle and lose fat at the same time but other than that, it's not common unless you have lovely genetics!

Muscle does weigh more than fat so that's why the scales are not a great indicator.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Are you using the scales as your indicator? If you are, ditch them and get your body fat measured. Your diet seems to be very good.

Ive been using scales/ pictures. weigh myself once a week when i wake up. I was told not to be doing it daily as so many things can effect it. I saying im using pictures i havent taken one in over 3 weeks im not due to take on till next week was planning on taking one once a month.

Whats the best way to measure bf%. I know you can use those little hand held things where you insert your height and weight but was told they arent accurate. Would one of them machines you see in a pharmacy ( blood pressure machines ect) be more accurate?

EDIT:

Not my first time training with weights but it is my first time actually training properly with weights and keeping a good diet. My lunch and dinners are made for me specifically in my gym monday to friday say thats why theyre usually the same. Keeps me on track for the day too not having to prepare fod

• Advertisement

Pictures and clothes are a good indicator alright but if you like cold hard numbers, then body fat percentage is the best.
    Are you a member in a gym? They'll do body fat measurements using callipers (skin fold testing) and measurements if you ask them. It's the most accurate way of measuring.

Have you looked in to post workout recovery too? That'll help you get the maximum from our workouts and the nutrients from the foods you're eating.

Ill check it out when im up there in the morning, i dont think the gym im in offer that sort of thing though. Its more of a warehouse style bodybuilding gym. Always someone on hand for advice/ tips though.

Thanks for the advice appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

OP - how long have you been doing this for?

This week will be 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

with this diet i really should be losing weight but im struggling with shedding the fat big time.

Losing weight and fat aren't the same. It's possible, if you're training hard, that the weight loss is being offset by muscle.

Clothes are the best indicator. Even measurements with calipers can vary depending on who takes them but if the same person does them and does them exactly the same each time you can get a trend going.

But if your diet is as precise as you've listed then you'll lose fat.

But other factors like sleep, stress etc will play a role.

• Advertisement

But if your diet is as precise as you've listed then you'll lose fat.

But other factors like sleep, stress etc will play a role.

Yeah my diet actually is like that. My lunches and dinners are made for me in the gym by a chef in there. Don't eat bread or anything like that to pack me with carbs closest thing to it I would eat would maybe be a roll if I was out the night before and that isn't to often.

Keep track of it all on my fitness pal its a great app

Yeah my diet actually is like that. My lunches and dinners are made for me in the gym by a chef in there. Don't eat bread or anything like that to pack me with carbs closest thing to it I would eat would maybe be a roll if I was out the night before and that isn't to often.

Keep track of it all on my fitness pal its a great app

Fair enough but it's just a common mistake people make when they try to track - they have a blind spot to certain extras. Or their idea of how much they're eating of what they're tracking is an underestimation.

But like I said, with a good diet, weight training and exercise you'll almost certainly be seeing a change in your body composition if it's not reflected on the scales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

LawlessBoy wrote:
    Hoping i could get some advice from here. Stats are as follows 18 90kgs 5ft10" male

I don't think those stats are too bad for your height tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would eat would maybe be a roll if I was out the night before and that isn't to often.

are you counting anything else you consumed on the "night before" ?

I have slowly come to realise that I might be fooling myself eating well all week and then drinking 10 pints at the weekend.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    are you counting anything else you consumed on the "night before" ?

I have slowly come to realise that I might be fooling myself eating well all week and then drinking 10 pints at the weekend.

Of course it has to be taken into effect yeah. Try to minimize the effect drinking usually spirits with tonic mixer. But in saying that when I say I go out literally once every 5-6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kagszer

Reduce your protein portions. Cut out the rice cake & tuna as snakes. 5 almonds and an apple instead

Hoping i could get some advice from here.
    Stats are as follows
    90kgs
    5ft10"
    male

Currently eating 1600-1700 calories a day with a macro split of 45p/30f/25c
    I find a low carb diet suits me best for weight loss, from searching online i believe to be in between an endomorph and mesomorph. ie gain weight easily find it hard to lose.

typical day looks something like this
    Breakfast: 1 whole egg 3 egg whits scrambled with a coffee
    Lunch: chicken salad, (chicken breast, lettuce, tomatoe, cucumber, red onion)
    Dinner: Protein source of some king. Red meat, poultry or fish with about 60g rice and green veg (broccoli, runner beans, asparagus) and then maybe some carrots
    Snacks: depending on what i need to hit for macros itll be either, fruit(berries) rice cakes, peanut butter, tuna or protein shake

with this diet i really should be losing weight but im struggling with shedding the fat big time. I am training between 4-5 times a week minimum of 3 weight sessions mixed in with HIIT training and low intensity cardio (cycling, jogging, hill walking)

Am i missing something here that can help me aid my weight loss? any advice is appreciate im hoping to get down to 80kg for summer i definitely think it is possible but feel as if ive plateaued.

Reduce protein portions?!!!

Kagszer wrote: »
    Cut out the rice cake & tuna as snakes.

Snakes gonna gain!

Should I even bother with taking that into account

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

nc19 wrote: »
    I don't think those stats are too bad for your height tbh
    There's no way to judge that based on his stats alone.

He could be well built, lots of muscles, and very low body fat at 90kg.
    Or he could have low muscle mass, and be carry excess fat at 90kg,
    Or be anywhere in between. There's no way to know.

But lets assume that the OP has a better idea of his composition than anyone else. If he feels he needs to lose some fat, I'd be inclined to believe him.
    Should I even bother with taking that into account
    Yeah, was a random post, possibly a spam bot. I'd ignore that one and go with the rest. Some good advice there.

• Advertisement

Poster above is right. I gave stats just as a guideline for height and weight. Definitely carrying to much fat around. Want to slim down for summer.

Just so yous know though would describe myself as someone after a bulk. You can tell they're not just fat but they have got some to lose ☺

Advertisement