Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power tripping bouncers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why would I want to do that in the first place? At this hour of my life I have no interest in going to town and having the misfortune of having to deal with these apes who are more often than not high on steroids and other substances which give them an over inflated sense of self importance because they stand outside the door of a pub or club.

...by and large, its a fairly proffessonal set up in town these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bit rich considering you seem to believe they were actually being honest when they said regulars only.

Well I couldn't give a fiddlers what he thought (or what you think, for that matter) in all honesty. If a doorman wants to refuse 3 decent hard working lads in a recession, that's his choice and their loss. We just went on to the next spot and enjoyed the game and few cold ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

discus wrote: »
    Good one Topper Harley, you've pretty much described a once-off, chance encounter of a bouncer relenting.

I've noticed that since I go out drinking with lads who'd be a bit rougher than your average, that bouncers don't ever stop us as a gang, or as individuals. The worst I got was "remember, if there's trouble, let us deal with it". Compare that to when I go out with my nicer friends, who somehow get stopped for less-than rational reasons. Bouncers acting like chicken ****s, and picking their battles. Not gonna get banged out cold by a skinny uni student are they?
    After years of going to clubs the way to deal with bouncers is to just wait for a shift change. Extremely rarely does the same bouncer stay on the door for the entire night, they switch around between manning the door and patrolling inside.

Any time I've been refused entry I've used this tactic and genuinely I don't think I've ever found myself waiting more than about 20 minutes to get inside.

Speaking with some twenty plus years of working the doors I can say this, the worse part of the night isn't the aggressive drunks, or the occasional assault/fight. Its not the drunk who pisses/sh*ts/pukes himself/herself. Or the pick pockets, or the junkies trying to use the toilets for a turn on, or bad managers/owners etc etc

Its the pure and utter bullsh*t stories I've to listen to, and wonder to myself ''Self ~ do these people really believe this stuff, are the voices that real?".

[btw I'm sure the above are real NOT ]

Working the doors is one of the best jobs I've ever done, people are generally great.. Its some craic, and as sh*tty as the worse times are the good times and good people more than make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd have to agree that it seems to be al lot more professional and regulated these days compared to years ago where anyone could get a job on the door if he was well built and looked like he could handle himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

discus wrote: »
    Good one Topper Harley, you've pretty much described a once-off, chance encounter of a bouncer relenting.

I'm not saying it always works but it just goes to show that it can be done...just not normally when it's nearly closing time and you've clearly already had a few bevies.
    Why would I want to do that in the first place? At this hour of my life I have no interest in going to town and having the misfortune of having to deal with these apes who are more often than not high on steroids and other substances which give them an over inflated sense of self importance because they stand outside the door of a pub or club.

You're going to the wrong places, pal. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Omackeral wrote: »
    Well I couldn't give a fiddlers what he thought (or what you think, for that matter) in all honesty. If a doorman wants to refuse 3 decent hard working lads in a recession, that's his choice and their loss. We just went on to the next spot and enjoyed the game and few cold ones.

People need to stop throwing that line around.
    "they should want our business"
    "its a recession"

People forget, it is still a business. They can refuse entry to anyone, and if that means the business fails, then so be it.
    If they have already made their money and are happy ticking over, then let them be.
    Don't get sh!tty because you want to give them your money and can't. Go to the next place, grab a straw and suck it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Nodin wrote: »
    ...by and large, its a fairly proffessonal set up in town these days.
    That would depend on where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Rabies wrote: »
    People need to stop throwing that line around.
    "they should want our business"
    "its a recession"

People forget, it is still a business. They can refuse entry to anyone, and if that means the business fails, then so be it.
    If they have already made their money and are happy ticking over, then let them be.
    Don't get sh!tty because you want to give them your money and can't. Go to the next place, grab a straw and suck it up.

Which is exactly what I did. Went to the next place and had a laugh at the situation with the German tourists in mind. I didn't say the recession line to the doorman, just thought it to myself. As I said, their loss, no biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its been a good few years since i have been refused entry into anywhere but when i was i was plastered never sober so they had every right to tell me to fcuk off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yet again people seem to think bouncers run the club and determine everything to do with the place. Believe it or not the owners/managers do that. In inner-city nightspots, managers try and create a "scene". That may well be a so-called trendy spot, an "alternative" venue, a rocker bar, a sports bar, a suits-and-cocktails bar, a culchie venue, a meat market or whatever else. In creating that scene a manager will set a door policy. Believe it or not the doorman doesn't give a toss about your runners or what social make-up a large group of lads is. More often than not he is only implementing a policy set by someone else. If you have a problem with that then take it up with the owner or blame the general snobbery we have in society that creates such division. Don't whinge to the doorman about it, he'll be too busy not giving a sh*t.

Also the majority of stories I've heard about doormen are bullsh*t. If there's one thing Irish people are rubbish at, it's taking responsibility for their drunken behaviour. After any dispute the narrative put forward is always "the bouncer was a prick/on a power trip etc", never "I was a drunk arse who told the bouncer he was a stupid pleb after he refused me entry because I was falling around the place."

Are there lads on the door who are rubbish? Of course there are, I've worked with some prize d*ckheads in my time, but you'll find those eejits in ANY job you can think of. They tend not to last long to be honest. Also doorstaff come from every background; I've worked with a variety of athletes, PhD students and every other job you can think of. And believe me, it can be a difficult job dealing with some of the wretches you encounter on the street while managing hundreds of p*ssed and drugged up people in a heaving building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

[btw I'm sure the above are real NOT ]

I've no idea why you think I'd make it up. So you're telling me that as a soldier, you've never had a bouncer tell your and your lads "if you're getting hassle, let us handle it and don't be fighting"? Must be an exclusive line used by bouncers in southern England so!

I'd say it was your notion that bouncers are afraid of you and your hard buddies while relishing the chance to pick on university students that he finds a load of sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I'm not a fighter btw, and I've never got much in the way of hassle off bouncers thank god. But it's broken my heart when I've seen friends or strangers be refused entry, even when they're with a group of friends for no reason. A lad I know has aspergers, and watching bouncers get a laugh out of him when they question him incites me.

Personally I'm of the opinion that the quality of doormen in England (London especially) is pretty poor. As I said, you'll find assholes in every job though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

In just about every case I've seen of someone refused, it was because the doorman correctly judged the patron to be too drunk, or they were acting the bollox on the street, which might have carried on in the pub/club and started knocking drinks over etc. I've seen loads of people thrown out for the same reasons.

The only times I've ever been denied entry somewhere was when I was up in Dublin, and also sober!

One of these times I was told to go off and get a coffee and sober up, I said there's no point, and offered to explain why to the doorman if I had a minute to do so (he listened to me anyway) and said go ahead and go in, you're alright.

Advertisement