Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Wick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

So good I watched it twice over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Frisbee wrote: »
    So good I watched it twice over the weekend.

I'm due another watch this week I think :D

I've actually been sourcing parts to make his pistol. I play airsoft and while I probably won't use it in games, it just looks seriously cool as a wall hanger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anybody any advice on where one can wastch it?

Amazon has the U.S. import but it's region locked as far as I can see!

Drumpot wrote: »
    Anybody any advice on where one can wastch it?

Amazon has the U.S. import but it's region locked as far as I can see!

You'll need to use a proxy to get it on one of the US based VOD services. Or the other way.

Release here is in April I think, few of us already signed up to go even though we have seen it multiple times already!

TheDoc wrote: »
    You'll need to use a proxy to get it on one of the US based VOD services. Or the other way.

Release here is in April I think, few of us already signed up to go even though we have seen it multiple times already!

Read a few things about it, sounds like my kind of movie . . Actually enjoy some of his movies that were classed sh*t including the ridiculously underrated Constantine (a superb movie IMO). .

Is it a movie that would be enjoyed better in the big screen? I don't mind waiting if that's the case . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Watched it the other night and though it was excellent. Some great scenes in it as well and the fight scenes were pretty good too.
    All in all a pretty decent movie and one of Reeves best in a while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Reeves finest work in a very long time. Really enjoyed it, only regret now not seeing it in the cinema as it's one of a few movies I've seen lately that would well warrant every cent of the admission price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Reeves finest work in a very long time. Really enjoyed it, only regret now not seeing it in the cinema as it's one of a few movies I've seen lately that would well warrant every cent of the admission price.

It's not in cinemas here yet. I've seen it twice and was thinking of going to see it in the cinema when it comes out here as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

It's not in cinemas here yet. I've seen it twice and was thinking of going to see it in the cinema when it comes out here as well

I've also seen it and will also see again when it comes out here.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Read a few things about it, sounds like my kind of movie . . Actually enjoy some of his movies that were classed sh*t including the ridiculously underrated Constantine (a superb movie IMO). .

Is it a movie that would be enjoyed better in the big screen? I don't mind waiting if that's the case . .

One of the lads saw it in IMAX while he was stateside, and said it's definitely one of those films you'd appreciate seeing on the big screen.

I don't actually remember a film that I've paid to watch on VOD services, pre-ordered Bluray, pirated for additional viewings and then planned to go see in the cinema, in that order.

It's a bit of a throwback to when releases always came out AGES in the states before here, and I'd pirate stuff, and then go to cinema for the things I really liked.

Wonder if the studio had genuine concerns about reception and would have curtailed release in Europe if it flopped stateside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Agricola wrote: »
    Really couldnt like this on any level. I have no problem with brainless action films, but this was packed with terrible acting, ridiculous dialogue, an unconvincing lead who was more wooden than a railway sleeper, way way way OTT fight scenes which ALWAYS had in your face guitar rock blaring behind them. I know there are a lot of people out there who treat all these flaws as if they are their own genre, and if that is the case, I suppose you could say this is a top film in its genre. Imo, it was like something written and directed by a couple of over excited film school students. I'd cry if I paid a tenner to see this in a cinema.
    The film almost feels like it was an overly produced student film. Some of the acting is atrocious, the direction is poor and the fights were mediocre. One thing that really irritates me is directors putting in retarded songs and cutting the movie to them, like this one does. Trying too hard to be cool, and the music was completely out of place. Seems like they couldn't afford a proper score. Additionally the images were colour graded way too much - I thought this fad died out in the 2000s! Lots of shots out of place also, in my opinion. The filmmakers not very experienced I felt.

I agree 100%.

Had been looking forward to seeing this but what a disappointment on so many levels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved the film, will pay to see it on release here.
    I believe they are moving ahead with a sequel.already.

I couldn't wait and watched it.

Really enjoyed it, there were elements of it that reminded me of Constantine (another Keanu guilty pleasure for me!).

I really enjoyed the first half an hour building up to him doing his thing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have visitors for the week and one of them is a Keanu fan, so I threw on John Wick for us all... Its even better in the second viewing...
    I am Jacks sense of astonishment..!

delighted to hear that there is a second in pre production...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

based on the quality of this one I'll actually view that one in the cinema ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Watched it via VoD a few times already with various folk but still intend to go see it in the cinema - not for some certainly but probably the best actioner I've seen since Dredd.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's out here today, finally hoping to go see it later.

Evac101 wrote: »
    Watched it via VoD a few times already with various folk but still intend to go see it in the cinema - not for some certainly but probably the best actioner I've seen since Dredd.

Have you seen both The Raid movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Have you seen both The Raid movies?

I've seen the first but had watched Dredd before it so, even though both films were developed independently of each other, it seemed a little same-ish for me. I'll freely admit that my taste can be all over the place however ;)

Evac101 wrote: »
    I've seen the first but had watched Dredd before it so, even though both films were developed independently of each other, it seemed a little same-ish for me. I'll freely admit that my taste can be all over the place however ;)

Put Dredd out of your mind for a while and rewatch the first and second raid movies. Both of them would be in at least my top 5 action movies of all time. I need to rewatch dredd as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Caught this again on the big screen, great to see the screening I went to was packed, seen as its pretty much widely available on the web that's a good sign.

Anyway it was even better on the big screen, just the perfect action film with a great action star in Keanu Reeves. The Villains played by Michael Nyqvist was great especially in the last 15 minutes but I actually loved Adrianne Palicki as Ms. Perkins, It would have been interesting if they made her more the equal of Wicks and given her more scenes plus the one thing that annoyed me
    That Wick didn't get to kill Perkins as I was waiting for it when I first saw it, it still bothers me even though she gets killed by the Hitman union for betraying one of her own was a nice touch but Its the only niggle I have
    . Alfie Allen did well with what he was given but I did love how
    when Wicks did get to him it wasn't a long drawn out fight, a quick brutal bullet to the head

It's great to see that American action cinema isn't dead, and Reeves has a career boost thanks to a now cult John Wick character with the sequel now been given the green light, lets pray and hope it isn't another case of Taken, totally gutting out what made the first film special so the studios can make more money with a 12A cert. Anyway its got a tough job following up a perfect first film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I really enjoyed this although I did think it went downhill a bit in the secondhalf of the movie.

They played to Keanu's strengths, he pulls off beautifully choreographed multiple fight scenes with style. Hard to believe he is 50 years old. If anything he looks better with age as the planes on his face are more defined now.

For me one of the weakest moments was his tied in the chair scene where he made some short speech about the dog being the last gift from his wife - just be quiet and do the assassin stuff Keanu!

Alfie Allen, is he destined to be forever the gobsh1te scumbag son? Plays it well though, he has a great face for it.

Didnt really enjoy the female assassin - felt a bit forced...

Kept thinking of Boris the Blade though, Russian kingpins are ruined for me by Boris.

Loved the music too.

Overall a great bit of nonsense imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Some of the best and most original fight choreography I've ever seen. Lots of Judo throws and rolls by Keanu. Apparently he did a lot of the stuntwork himself. My favourite has to be
    Perkins biting the corner of her coat so that she can use it as a collar choke when she gets into a crucifix position.
    . So simple and yet so brilliant.

I couldn't help but think of the parallels between the death of his wife in the film (not a spoiler) and in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 djspunky

Absolutely loved John Wick just for how instense it was from start to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 djspunky

Absolutely loved John Wick just for how intense it was from start to finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The fight scenes were good but I couldn't wait for this to be over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The film is fine - it is what it is, and fully aware of that fact. It's the kind of film often overhyped online and by some critics, but taken as a dumb action film it's definitely an entertaining ride. I must confess in a post-Raid world, the action scenes didn't pack as much punch as they could have, and over eager, censor pleasing editing didn't do some of the stunts much justice.

The one thing I did admire about it, though, was the sheer efficiency of its storytelling. The motivations are incredibly simplistic, but that simply serves to get things moving with a minimum amount of nonsense. I loved the way they handled the lore and internal rules of the assassins' world. It crucially just is, no time wasted on exposition or explainers that dilute the pleasing absurdity of it all - some mystery remains, while delivering the right amount of information to keep the audience generally aware of what's going on. By no means is it a reserved film, but it does know that holding some things back can be beneficial for film and audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

John Wick 2: Wick Harder* has been announced.

* I made up the "Wick Harder" bit. How about John Wick II: The Wickening?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

That is one hell of a movie. But i wouldn't call it the best action movie of recent times. But still it okay.
    Loved it and enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    John Wick 2: Wick Harder* has been announced.

* I made up the "Wick Harder" bit. How about John Wick II: The Wickening?

John Wick: The Wicker Man ?

Advertisement