Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Buzzfeed presents "Eight cool tricks with water:"

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

There's been a lot of debate in this forum about the amount of the human genome that is functional. A new survey comparing our genome with that of several other mammals puts it at 8.2%, which is pretty much back where it was before the ENCODE razzamatazz that made this such a contentious business.

Science daily's take here.

Original article here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Are they saying that the DNA we have in common with a mouse is functional, and everything else is junk? Seems a bizarre definition of the word "functional" unless I'm picking it up wrong.

Looking for a job? Interested in religion? Hungry to work accurately? This could be the job for you!

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/irish-catholic-vacancy-news-editor

All the same, it could be the opportunity to pull off the troll of the century too.
    Irish Catholic vacancy: News Editor, Full-time, based in Dublin

The Irish Catholic newspaper, with a weekly readership of over 90,000 people, has established itself as the most-respected voice in reporting, comment and analysis of religious affairs in Ireland and the interaction between faith, current affairs and daily life.

As part of the continued growth of The Irish Catholic in print and online, the newspaper now seeks to appoint a News Editor. Working closely with the Editor, the News Editor will be responsible for ensuring a strongly news-driven agenda across both print and digital platforms.

In the last census, almost 93% of Irish people identified themselves with a religious faith. While there has undoubtedly been change in the religious landscape, some two million Catholics attend Mass every week. The Irish Catholic seeks to tell the story of contemporary Irish Catholicism and the interaction between faith and daily life in a way that is engaging, challenging, entertaining and informative. As an independent newspaper we reach in to every parish and community in the country.

The successful candidate will be a published news/features writer and will have worked in a news environment. Experience of compiling engaging and entertaining content is essential. Alongside excellent editorial skills (including writing, headline writing, editing, sub-editing and proof-reading) for print and online content, the successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of the print and online marketplace and excel in social media.

An ability to motivate a team, work in partnership with advertising, circulation and marketing departments is essential. The successful candidate will work closely with with external contributors and build on the newspaper’s excellent network of relationships. Outstanding organisation and interpersonal skills combined with a hunger to work accurately to tight deadlines and the highest professional standards is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

recedite wrote: »
    Are they saying that the DNA we have in common with a mouse is functional, and everything else is junk? Seems a bizarre definition of the word "functional" unless I'm picking it up wrong.

The principle is similar, though the methods are more sophisticated and aim to model the turnover of different components of the genome, making use of genomes from a number of species of widely differing evolutionary divergence from us.

Mice split from humans around 100My ago, and have diverged a lot from us due to their rapid rate of evolutionary change. This means that our genome is less similar to the mouse than to those of many other (typically larger) mammals, and so we share only around 2.2% of highly conserved DNA with mice. Nevertheless, the functional part of our genome (and that of mice) is estimated to be around four times that.

This image from the paper shows the conservation and turnover of gene coding sequences (red) and the various regulatory sequences that control when and where they are turned on in the body. Gene coding sequences evolve the slowest, while some of the switches that turn them on and off evolve much more rapidly.

315836.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    Looking for a job? Interested in religion? Hungry to work accurately? This could be the job for you!

All the same, it could be the opportunity to pull off the troll of the century too.

Ah heyor.
    The Irish Catholic newspaper, with a weekly readership of over 90,000 people, has established itself as the most-respected voice in reporting, comment and analysis of religious affairs in Ireland and the interaction between faith, current affairs and daily life.

Eh, [citation needed].
    As part of the continued growth of The Irish Catholic in print and online,

Ditto :pac:
    In the last census, almost 93% of Irish people identified themselves with a religious faith.

Nope, they identified themselves with a religious upbringing, they made no statement at all as to their faith, that was not the question asked.
    While there has undoubtedly been change in the religious landscape, some two million Catholics attend Mass every week.

In Ireland??

Trying to be charitable here and not accuse them of lying - do they mean

(a) there are 2,000,000 attendees at mass over the course of a week, including repeat visits

(b) there are 2,000,000 attendees at mass over the course of a week, not including repeat visits

(c) there are 2,000,000 attendees who go to mass every single week

Clearly they mean (a), but what they hope to imply is at least (b) and given a bit of media inaccuracy/hype, (c).

The Irish Catholic seeks to tell the story of contemporary Irish Catholicism and the interaction between faith and daily life in a way that is engaging, challenging, entertaining and informative. As an independent newspaper we reach in to every parish and community in the country.

If they are being truthful, the story of contemporary Irish catholicism is one of rampant abuse, fraud, complete loss of moral credibility and massive and irreversible decline :)

Alongside excellent editorial skills (including writing, headline writing, editing, sub-editing and proof-reading) for print and online content, the successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of the print and online marketplace and excel in social media.

and excel in bull5hitting with a straight face.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Wonder if they'll accept moderators of a Christianity forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Turtwig wrote: »

As long as you remember what you told me, that 'you are not allowed to say Christianity is a fairy tale'.;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eh, [citation needed].

Must have been a typo, they forgot "one sided" three times in the highlighted sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm tempted to send in a fake CV. :pac:

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    I say go for it!

You can count on my support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »

In the last census, almost 93% of Irish people identified themselves with a religious faith.

Somehow I don't think an ability to ensure accuracy will be any part of the news editor's role. Because if the paper were being accurate they wouldn't have included this sentence, because we cannot infer levels of religious faith from the results of the last census, and if we actually look at deeper statistical measures of faith, the rcc has effectively admitted that a full tenth of their flock (currently about 20% of the country in reality, despite what rcc apologists will say about the census) believe that god is fictional, meaning they themselves lack religious faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

In Ireland??

Trying to be charitable here and not accuse them of lying - do they mean

(a) there are 2,000,000 attendees at mass over the course of a week, including repeat visits

(b) there are 2,000,000 attendees at mass over the course of a week, not including repeat visits

(c) there are 2,000,000 attendees who go to mass every single week

Clearly they mean (a), but what they hope to imply is at least (b) and given a bit of media inaccuracy/hype, (c).

Even that 2,000,000 figure is complete padding, given that there is c. 3.5m people in the country baptised catholic, 2m would be 4/7ths of the total theoretical catholic population, and given that we know the actual figure for attendance is at about 20% of catholics that would mean 700,000 at best attend mass on a regular basis. Now this twenty percent figure is as a result of a survey commissioned and publicised by the rcc, so ideally corrections should be made for two biases, i) the propensity for people to lie in surveys to make themselves look better, and ii) the propensity for a survey on the health of an organisation under the complete control of that same organisation to have its results padded to make them look better for that organisation; therefore I'm going to lop off a further 100,000 off that figure of 700,000 attendees giving a rough figure of 600,000 people who attend mass regularly (and I'm being generous here, ommitting the fact that going to mass once a month is regular {and far more common than the average which is c. 10 times in a life}, and giving what I'd consider to be a low number of people to cut due to bias).

Therefore for the paper to get 2,000,000 mass footfalls in a week, every regular mass goer would have to attend at least three masses a week. That's simply not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Therefore for the paper to get 2,000,000 mass footfalls in a week, every regular mass goer would have to attend at least three masses a week. That's simply not going to happen.
    There are some elderly people who would attend mass up to 7 times a week, but I don't know if there'd be enough of them to make up the numbers.

One for Randi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28464009
    Astrology-loving MP seeks health answers in the stars
    A Conservative MP has spoken of his belief in astrology and his desire to incorporate it into medicine.

David Tredinnick said he had spent 20 years studying astrology and healthcare and was convinced it could work.

(not really religion based, but not sure where else to put this!)

I'm tempted to send in a fake CV. :pac:
    Go on, I'll give you a reference.

"PopePalpatine has been the Chief Marketing Consultant of my personal religious cult for the past 12 months. So far I have only accumulated two attendees per week, but this is no reflection on his abilities. He has expressed his desire to move on to a more challenging role within an organisation having two million attendees per week, and I wish him all the best in his future career."

Where's my feckin reference you clout? :mad:

It better be published in 48 hours or the ban hammer may swing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

So, never noticed the original passage of the law, but Amazons thumbing of the nose is amusing.
    Basically, France passed a law banning free delivery on books as a protectionist policy favouring bricks and mortar. Amazon responds by charging €0.01
    They'll probably amend it to be a % of the sale value or something. :rolleyes:

http://time.com/2976723/amazon-france-free-shipping/

A blackbird seems to know how to start opening a bottle of water:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Isn't that a jackdaw? Clever, clever birds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is about the only thing which makes soccer interesting:

http://www.futilitycloset.com/2014/07/22/the-strangest-soccer-match-ever/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

The Duelling Loops from www.thwink.org

Interesting model explaining how political corruption is so endemic.

Vox.com's list of the top ten religion-related articles from The New Yorker - available while its archives are opened up for a few months:

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/23/5926393/10-new-yorker-religion-articles-to-read-while-the-archives-are-free

Ever heard of Prince Ruper's Drop? Neither did I until this morning:

http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/prince-ruperts-drop-video/

So, never noticed the original passage of the law, but Amazons thumbing of the nose is amusing.
    Basically, France passed a law banning free delivery on books as a protectionist policy favouring bricks and mortar. Amazon responds by charging €0.01
    They'll probably amend it to be a % of the sale value or something. :rolleyes:

http://time.com/2976723/amazon-france-free-shipping/

Closed account. :(

Hopefully Sulla Felix will respawn and reincarnate as a re-reg :)

Some seriously neat animated GIF's illustrating concepts in maths + physics:

http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/20-gifs-that-teach-you-science-concepts-better-than-your-teacher-probably-can/

318371.gif

Take one toxinologist, one microscope, one high-speed camera, an anenome and add one very enthusiastic researcher:

BTW, he sounds like the toxinologist whom Douglas Adams met years ago for [url=]Last Chance to See[/url], but I'm sad to see that this was Struan Sutherland, who unfortunately died in 2002, and to whom the entire world is in debt for the following conversation:
    There is in Melbourne a man who probably knows more about poisonous snakes than anyone else on earth. His name is Dr Struan Sutherland, and he has devoted his entire life to a study of venom.
    'And I'm bored with talking about it,' he said when we went along to see him the next morning, laden with tape recorders and note books. 'Can't stand all these poisonous creatures, all these snakes and insects and fish and things. Wretched things, biting everybody. And then people expect me to tell them what to do about it. I'll tell them what to do. Don't get bitten in the first place. That's the answer. I've had enough of telling people all the time. Hydroponics, now, that's interesting. Talk to you all you like about hydroponics. Fascinating stuff, growing plants artificially in water, very interesting technique. We'll need to know all about it if we're going to go to Mars and places. Where did you say you were going?'
    'Komodo.'
    'Well, don't get bitten, that's all I can say. And don't come running to me if you do because you won't get here in time and anyway I've got enough on my plate. Look at this office. Full of poisonous animals all over the place. See this tank? It's full of fire ants. Venomous little creatures, what are we going to do about them? Anyway, I got some little cakes in in case you were hungry. Would you like some little cakes? I can't remember where I put them. There's some tea but it's not very good. Sit down for heaven's sake.
    'So, you're going to Komodo. Well, I don't know why you want to do that, but I suppose you have your reasons. There are fifteen different types of snake on Komodo, and half of them are poisonous. The only potentially deadly ones are the Russell's viper, the bamboo viper and the Indian cobra.
    The Indian cobra is the fifteenth deadliest snake in the world, and all the other fourteen are here in Australia. That's why it's so hard for me to find time to get on with my hydroponics, with all these snakes all over the place.
    'And spiders. The most poisonous spider is the Sydney funnel web. We get about five hundred people a year bitten by spiders. A lot of them used to die, so we had to develop an antidote to stop people bothering me with it all the time. Took us years. Then we developed this snake bite detector kit. Not that you need a kit to tell you when you've been bitten by a snake, you usually know, but the kit is something that will detect what type you've been bitten by so you can treat it properly.
    'Would you like to see a kit? I've got a couple here in the venom fridge. Let's have a look. Ah look, the cakes are in here too. Quick, have one while they're still fresh. Fairy cakes, I baked 'em myself.'
    He handed round the snake venom detection kits and his home-baked fairy cakes and retreated back to his desk, where he beamed at us cheerfully from behind his curly beard and bow tie. We admired the kits, which were small, efficient boxes neatly packed with tiny bottles, a pipette, a syringe and a complicated set of instructions that I wouldn't want to read for the first time in a panic, and then we asked him how many of the snakes he had been bitten by himself.
    'None of 'em,' he said. 'Another area of expertise I've developed is that of getting other people to handle the dangerous animals. Won't do it myself. Don't want to get bitten, do I? You know what it says in my book jackets? "Hobbies: gardening -with gloves; fishing - with boots; travelling - with care." That's the answer. What else? Well, in addition to the boots wear thick, baggy trousers, and preferably have half a dozen people tramping along in front of you making as much noise as possible. The snakes pick up the vibrations and get out of your way, unless it's a death adder, otherwise known as the deaf adder, which just lies there. People can walk right past it and over it and nothing happens. I've heard of twelve people in a line walking over a death adder and the twelfth person accidentally trod on it and got bitten. Normally you're quite safe if you're twelfth in line. You're not eating your cakes. Come on, get them down you, there's plenty more in the venom fridge.'
    We asked, apprehensively, if any of the folk remedies or potions we'd heard about were any good.
    `Well, nine times out of ten they'll work fine for the simple reason that nine snake bites out of ten the victim doesn't get ill anyway. It's the last ten per cent that's the problem, and there's a lot of myths we've had to disentangle about snakes in order to get at the truth. You need accurate information. People's immediate response to snake bites is often to overreact and give the poor snake a ritual beating, which doesn't really help in the identification. If you don't know which exact snake it was you can't treat the bite properly.' .
    'Well, in that case,' I asked, 'could we perhaps take a snake bite detector kit with us to Komodo?
    'Course you can, course you can. Take as many as you like. Won't do you a blind bit of good because they're only for Australian snakes.'
    'So what do we do if we get bitten by something deadly, then? I asked.
    He blinked at me as if I were stupid.
    'Well what do you think you do? he said. 'You die of course. That's what deadly means.'
    'But what about cutting open the wound and sucking out the poison? I asked.
    'Rather you than me,' he said. 'I wouldn't want a mouthful of poison. Shouldn't do you much harm, though. Snake toxins have a high molecular weight, so they won't penetrate the blood vessels in the mouth the way that alcohol or some drugs do, and then the poison gets destroyed by the acids in your stomach. But it's not necessarily going to do much good, either. You're not likely to be able to get much of the poison out, but you're probably going to make the wound a lot worse trying. And in a place like Komodo it means you'd quickly have a seriously infected wound to contend with as well as a leg full of poison. Septicaemia, gangrene, you name it. It'll kill you.'
    `What about a tourniquet??
    'Fine if you don't mind having your leg off afterwards. You'd have to because if you cut off the blood supply to it completely it'll just die. And if you can find anyone in that part of Indonesia who you'd trust to take your leg off then you're a braver man than me. No, I'll tell you: the only thing you can do is apply a pressure bandage direct to the wound and wrap the whole leg up tightly, but not too tightly. Slow the blood flow but don't cut it off or you'll lose the leg. Keep the leg, or whatever bit of you it is you've been bitten in, lower than your heart and your head. Keep very, very still, breathe slowly and get to a doctor immediately. If you're on Komodo that means a couple of days, by which time you'll be well dead.
    `The only answer, and I mean this quite seriously, is don't get bitten. There's no reason why you should. Any of the snakes there will get out of your way well before you even see them. You don't really need to worry about the snakes if you're careful. No, the things you really need to worry about are the marine creatures.'
    `What?'
    `Scorpion fish, stonefish, sea snakes. Much more poisonous than anything on land. Get stung by a stone fish and the pain alone can kill you. People drown themselves just to stop the pain.'
    `Where are all these things??
    'Oh, just in the sea. Tons of them. I wouldn't go near it if I were you. Full of poisonous animals. Hate them.'
    `Is there anything you do like??
    'Yes,' he said. `Hydroponics.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Doing a course atm on memorization and learning techniques and one of the things mentioned are astrocytes. These little buggers are in your brain and apparently might have something to do with intelligence. When Einstein's brain was studied it was found that the only major difference between his brain and the masses were whooploads of extra astrocytes. They are a type of glial cell and were implanted in baby mice brains to see what would happen..

Turns out they made mice smarter as was anticipated and they performed better in mice exams (que hilarious mental image of mice donned in tiny graduation cloaks, hats and scrolls). They think in the far away future these glial cells could play an important role in curing diseases such as parkinsons. Although what I want to find out is how I can get my hands on some extras and turn into the genius prodigy girl I was supposed to be... Shouldn't be too hard.

Advertisement