Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gareth Brookes - the atheist + agnostic angle

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

legspin wrote: »
    Way moreso than the darkest metal, country music is suicide music.

Far from it, unless you specifically go looking for it, like any other genres.

A lot of people confuse American country music with the vastly inferior (with a few exceptions) Irish country music attempted clones

Personal preferences and acquired tastes aside, good music is good music, regardless if its classical, country, pop, techo, jazz or metal. Shyte music is shyte music, regardless if its classical, country, pop, techo, jazz or metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Far from it, unless you specifically go looking for it, like any other genres.

A lot of people confuse American country music with the vastly inferior (with a few exceptions) Irish country music attempted clones

Personal preferences and acquired tastes aside, good music is good music, regardless if its classical, country, pop, techo, jazz or metal. Shyte music is shyte music, regardless if its classical, country, pop, techo, jazz or metal.

I was not referring to it's inherent goodness or badness. The content and subject matter of country music has been well documented as having a role in depression and suicide.

On a personal note, having been forced to listen to the likes of Margo and Ray Lynam on long car journeys as a kid, how I didn't throw myself out of the car just get away from it I don't know. I still shudder at the thought of Philomena Begley and her misogynistic trucker of a dad or Big Tom and his drug addled backing band (the Mainliners).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

endacl wrote: »
    Godin? Does he have a law too?

:D

...grrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

legspin wrote: »
    I was not referring to it's inherent goodness or badness. The content and subject matter of country music has been well documented as having a role in depression and suicide.

On a personal note, having been forced to listen to the likes of Margo and Ray Lynam on long car journeys as a kid, how I didn't throw myself out of the car just get away from it I don't know. I still shudder at the thought of Philomena Begley and her misogynistic trucker of a dad or Big Tom and his drug addled backing band (the Mainliners).

I think you might have missed the point, but yeah some Irish country music is woeful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Excuse me while I Godwin this thread but this is a work of genius. That is all.

You're welcome. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ah, here we go.

If you're using Chrome, this addon is a must:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/garth-blocks/baicbelfjoldkmllpmjmheemjiddppod

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://kingofiona.tumblr.com/post/90853256535/the-intern-remixes-john-waters
    Meaning, hope, and purpose - concepts ailen to the godless liberati - abounded within my spirit as I devoted my considerable intellect to this crusade. And yet there was an absence. I felt it when, in old and futile habit, I stole fleeting glances through the seething morass we have come to know as the nation’s media. Who among the members of the Irish writers’ guild had the firmness of character required to fill my considerable void? Who would embody the courage and fortitude that forms the sine á que non of writing my conservative column, railing against a media where little people are allowed comment both unsupervised and uncensored? Who would dare to voice the truth of the insidious menace that masquerades under that nom de guerre, ‘Garth Brooks’?

O_o

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement