Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gareth Brookes - the atheist + agnostic angle

Options
  • 11-07-2014 11:27am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Granted there's a war in Ukraine, military strikes in Palestine, the burgeoning marriage equality debate, the mother and baby enquiry and much else besides. But even a cursory examination of the Irish media suggests that the importance of Gareth Brookes and his three/four/five/whatever concerts far exceeds anything else the world has to offer just now.

Anyhow, as the topic hasn't come up here in A+A, I thought it would be useful to open up this thread here where we could put everything related to the Babbling Brookes. And hopefully, encourage a little debate too.

What are Mr Brooke's religious views? Does he have any? Is he gay? Does he support marriage equality? What are his views on abortion? Is he a committed secularist? Has his religious views, or those of the managers at Croke Park, unduly influenced what appears to be the most trivial political bunfight since Gladstone stubbed his toe and blamed his cat? Who is Gareth Brookes and what's all this about anyway? Uh, god.

*discuss*

Comments

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Who is this Gareth Brooke, and what does he have to do with Garth Brooks' on again, off again concerts in Croke Park (of which we are making a holy show of ourselves again by kowtowing to a musical non-entity in the blithe expectation that the whole world is scrutininsing every minute detail of this non-event)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Ah Friday, personally I feel the residents of this forum have a right not to be subjected to other baked goods and that the traditional baked good form of the biscuit should be the only acceptable form of baked good and in this light I ask you to withdraw the above post and modify it so that we have biscuit fights rather than "bun fights" (as though that's a real thing) as is traditional for this forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Forgot about biscuits. Must be the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Gareth believes in re-incarnation:

GARTH BROOKS LYRICS
    "Cowgirl's Saddle"

Last thing I remember was saying,
    "Hey y'all, watch this." Next thing I know I'm walking toward this light
    When a voice from out of nowhere asked this question.
    "Garth, what did you love most in your past life?"
    "Well," I said, "it had to be between cowgirls and horses."
    And as I wondered which one that I would settle on,
    The voice said, "May you be happy with your answer."
    I said, "What answer?" He said, "Watch this." And I was gone.

[CHORUS]
    Now I'm back as a cowgirl's saddle
    Heaven on Earth for all eternity
    Forever in between
    Every cowboy's dream
    Riding horses, holding rodeo queens

Sew me, show me, throw me in the pickup
    Take me, break me, make me what you need
    It's safe to say we're made for one another
    And you'll never fall if you just stick with me

Fit me, sit me, get me how you want me
    Wrap me, SLAP ME, STRAP ME ON YOUR STEED.
    Can't believe I'm out here flying with an angel
    Oh this afterlife's sure looking up for me

[REPEAT CHORUS]

Loping, roping, hoping that you're happy
    Racing, placing, chasing all your dreams
    Makes me think if I'd lived life a little better
    Would I've come back as a pair of cowgirl jeans

[REPEAT CHORUS]

Every cowboy's dream
    You know just what I mean
    Riding horses, holding rodeo queens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A few points to note:

1) His followers are mostly of the older generation.
    2) He has loads of followers in this country, but it is impossible to understand why.
    3) He was apparently around a long time ago and is due to return soon, but that is highly unlikely to happen.
    4) I have never seen any proof that he exists.
    5) It is claimed he wants to bring happiness to his followers, but really just wants their money.

Therefore, Garth Brooks is Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Why is the media not asking about his stance on Pineapple on pizza?

The people DESERVE TO KNOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Real name Troyal! Is this a biblical name?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he seems willing to perform on the lord's day, so i hope they refuse him a visa for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Concerts off again? As WWN commented recently, Music is the winner here. Gareth/Garth Brooks/Brookes/Brooke* is not music news. The passing of Luciano Pavarotti/Frank Sinatra/Freddie Mercury, now that's news.

I don't believe in evolution. I mean how could country music evolve in the human population? Alongside Jazz and Classical music and Opera? Unless country music fans are a different species. That must be it! I bet they think Jaffa Cakes are biscuits! And don't have pineapple on their Hawaiian pizzas. Weirdos.

*delete as appropriate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Long extant flaws in Irish processes highlighted by disastrous failure without anyone dying as a result, for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Garth Brooks. At this stage I'm convinced people pretend not to know how it's spelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I know this thread is a pisstake but should point out that Garth is Pro-SSM Equality

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have only one comment on this thread: Why ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a question, not a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

robindch wrote: »
    Granted there's a war in Ukraine, military strikes in Palestine, the burgeoning marriage equality debate, the mother and baby enquiry and much else besides. But even a cursory examination of the Irish media suggests that the importance of Gareth Brookes and his three/four/five/whatever concerts far exceeds anything else the world has to offer just now.

Anyhow, as the topic hasn't come up here in A+A, I thought it would be useful to open up this thread here where we could put everything related to the Babbling Brookes. And hopefully, encourage a little debate too.

What are Mr Brooke's religious views? Does he have any? Is he gay? Does he support marriage equality? What are his views on abortion? Is he a committed secularist? Has his religious views, or those of the managers at Croke Park, unduly influenced what appears to be the most trivial political bunfight since Gladstone stubbed his toe and blamed his cat? Who is Gareth Brookes and what's all this about anyway? Uh, god.

*discuss*

Granted, I don't know a thing about the guy cept he sings a kind of music that makes me wonder about humanity.

Heard him on the radio and he came across as pretty shallow and insincere. That parsed through US-speak (especially southern), which can often sound shallow and insincere anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What are Mr Brooke's religious views? Does he have any? Is he gay? Does he support marriage equality?

The first song of his I ever heard informed me that some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers. So I believe he does have faith in the sky fairy.

The song references his wife and a woman referred to as his old high school flame who he dreams is an angel. So I'm presuming he is straight. His deceased sister was a lesbian and Brooks has campaigned for gay rights. He has a song imploring on us to 'stand straight, walk proud' which may mean that heterosexuals should go have fun at pride.

And the guy clearly likes biscuits, though I suspect when he thinks of biscuits he's thinking of those scone like things Americans eat with gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

A few points to note:

1) His followers are mostly of the older generation.
    2) He has loads of followers in this country, but it is impossible to understand why.
    3) He was apparently around a long time ago and is due to return soon, but that is highly unlikely to happen.
    4) I have never seen any proof that he exists.
    5) It is claimed he wants to bring happiness to his followers, but really just wants their money.

Therefore, Garth Brooks is Jesus.

Jesus can't even get most people to turn up to one poxy 45 minute Sunday gig, Garth is on another level:

somvrn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I stopped caring so long ago, and I wish the whole story would just **** off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Haha turns out if he were gay he would have got his concerts according to our fab Iona loving, rebooted, definitely not homophobic but anti-equality, columnist. I bet if he were atheist the trendy, righton, flavour of the month media would also have been behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

I like Garth Brooks. His music reminds me of the early to mid-90s, long summers, and happy times. Call it nostalgia. I love some of his songs.

By the way, he's closely aligned with the Carter foundation and is a staunch advocate of same-sex marriage, so accusations that he's a redneck are baseless.

I have no opinion on the concerts. But I do think that around half the people who want to see him are trying to revisit the mid-90s, which were something of a golden age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Instead of doing 5 concerts in Croker, he should do 200 in the Tivoli and that should cover all 400,000 fans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sorry for contributing nothing major to the discussion beyond an observation that for such a popular person, the spelling of his name seems to have so many different variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

FURET wrote: »
    I like Garth Brooks. His music reminds me of the early to mid-90s, long summers, and happy times. Call it nostalgia. I love some of his songs.

By the way, he's closely aligned with the Carter foundation and is a staunch advocate of same-sex marriage, so accusations that he's a redneck are baseless.

I have no opinion on the concerts. But I do think that around half the people who want to see him are trying to revisit the mid-90s, which were something of a golden age.

Back then I used to work in a traveller bar and a rural bar ergo i hate pretty much all country music, expecially 'irish' country 'music', but nearly all others bar a-bit-a Dolly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Manach wrote: »
    [...] for such a popular person, the spelling of his name seems to have so many different variations.
    It's hard to have a variation that isn't different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I'm a bit torn on this one. If he had come it meant lots of work for me between the stage build and the rigging. However, his 'music' won't now be played and personally I think that is a result for the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

Interesting tick list for judging people, would make a good thread all of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

lynski wrote: »
    Back then I used to work in a traveller bar and a rural bar ergo i hate pretty much all country music, expecially 'irish' country 'music', but nearly all others bar a-bit-a Dolly

Way moreso than the darkest metal, country music is suicide music.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Manach wrote: »
    Sorry for contributing nothing major to the discussion beyond an observation that for such a popular person, the spelling of his name seems to have so many different variations.

That's our Gary

On an aside- he seems to have become the Irish Godwin's Law- as is uaually only matter of time before he is mentioned in any online discussions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

wprathead wrote: »
    That's our Gary

On an aside- he seems to have become the Irish Godin's Law- as is uaually only matter of time before he is mentioned in any online discussions

Godin? Does he have a law too?

:D

Advertisement