Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post & Telegraphs (P&T)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gosub wrote: »
    Surely it could be found on Google?

Do you think I'm making this up? If so, why would I?

Google throws up a lot of sh*te and urban legends presented as fact, Wikipedia has to be used with caution.

Have you got photos of these vans, incl interiors? Technical specs of equipment used? Otherwise I'm calling BS on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Google throws up a lot of sh*te and urban legends presented as fact, Wikipedia has to be used with caution.

Have you got photos of these vans, incl interiors? Technical specs of equipment used? Otherwise I'm calling BS on it.
    OK you call BS all you want. I could give a sh¡t. I'm not going to trawl the internet for you. I saw the vans, I spoke to the operators. This was in the 70s. Probably before your parents were born though, therefore it didn't exist.

I've had enough of dealing with the kids. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

OK you call BS all you want. I could give a sh¡t. I'm not going to trawl the internet for you. I saw the vans, I spoke to the operators. This was in the 70s. Probably before your parents were born though, therefore it didn't exist.

I've had enough of dealing with the kids. I'm out.

Good for you buddy. An anecdote from John Joe back in the day does not constitute a 'historical record'. Come back to me when you find some hard evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mod
    Reel it in lads. Whatever about the evidence theres no need for the sniping

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

CRT screens have been readable from a distance for many years. You didn't know that? Sad.
    They were real. They were packed full of the technology of the day. Why would I make that up? Jeez some people.

Sorry dude. Didn't mean to offend. I don't believe it. The hesitance of an Post and BBC to prosecute using proof obtained from those devices serves to feed that doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Roman Emperor

Boy does this thread roll back the years! I started in the P7T in 1973, just as the new orange and white vans were being introduced into the fleet. My first van when I was made an "official driver" in 1974 was a VW T1 transporter split-screen, fleet number K20. It was fantastic!...

I did my driving test in one of those Bedford gang trucks in the early 80's.

The test began on the hill at Infirmary Rd heading towards North Circular Rd.

Two of us learner drivers spent three weeks doing a driving course around Dublin.

Our instructor was a man called Brady. I can't remember his first name but everyone knew him as Brakes Brady.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CRT screens have been readable from a distance for many years. You didn't know that? Sad.
    They were real. They were packed full of the technology of the day. Why would I make that up? Jeez some people.

Neither reliably nor accurately enough to be of any use at all in an urban area. The vans are, and always were a scare tactic. Nothing more. Equal to the "people will treat you as a pariah" style advertising.

Come the early 1980s and the home computer boom it was entirely pointless to make an assumption that CRT = TV anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They probably just had a few old P&T dial telephones in the van anyway.

Advertisement