Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal / North Dublin Transport Study

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I sometimes play a thought experiment.

MN was essentially shelved in 2009. Suppose it had got the go-ahead then. It would have meant something like €500-€800m of expenditure per annum from 2010 to this year. That's a lot of money, in the region of 0.3%-0.5% of GDP, 1%-1.5% of all annual government spending, not have been so small as to be unnoticeable. It would have meant appreciable cuts in other government spending, say more social welfare cuts or more public service pay cuts or higher PAYE. All this would have taken place through one of the largest fiscal contractions ever undertaken by a government in a developed country. It would have received a lof of criticism on cost grounds. You would probably have slightly higher poverty levels now . The immediate economic benefits would have been low as well: the multiplier effect of the spending on the metro would have been small as a lot of the expertise and plant would have been imported.

On the other hand, by now you would have a metro ready to open. This would be completely transformative for anyone who commutes from within a 2.5km corridor leading from the city centre to Swords. It would make Ireland considerably more appealing for FDI - imagine foreign execs being whizzed into the city centre in <20 minutes. There would be a ready solution for Dublin's current rising rents. There is plenty of land available in close proximity to the MN corridor for large-scale development. The tunnels could be good for a century of use.

It's ironic that even though the economic recovery over the last 3 years has been led by Dublin, yet again the meagre capital spend is spread around the country. I know there are very good road safety reasons for all the spending on for example: Gort-Tuam, N11 to Arklow and Ballaghadereen bypass. But very soon Dublin's transport infrastructure is going to start creaking again and are only amenable to solutions that should have started half a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

MN was essentially shelved in 2009. Suppose it had got the go-ahead then. It would have meant something like €500-€800m of expenditure per annum from 2010 to this year. That's a lot of money, in the region of 0.3%-0.5% of GDP, 1%-1.5% of all annual government spending, not have been so small as to be unnoticeable. It would have meant appreciable cuts in other government spending, say more social welfare cuts or more public service pay cuts or higher PAYE.
    what I am going to post is off topic, so I will keep it short. The **** infrastructure and services here are all a result OTT social welfare and PS... They are seen as sacred cows, a cent goes to anything else and its seen as wanton waste to politicians, as a euro in extra welfare or a tax cut, is worth a hell of a lot more votes than a euro somewhere else...

In my opinion it would have been a fantastic investment to deviate the money from welfare to MN etc, instead it has just gone up in smoke...

At this moment in time, I am happy with any fudging, that will result in the postponement of anything being done on this corridor, because if that joke Luas option is chosen, it is the worst possible outcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's interesting because if you take a country like Spain, poorer than Ireland by all accounts, it has excellent high speed and conventional rail, the cities all have metro and trams with 100% integrated ticketing needless to say. Every city and even large towns have bike schemes, there are good cycling facilities across the country and over the past 15 years they've spent mountains of money on water. Mainland Spain now has good quality water services across the mainland.

All this form a country that is traditionally seen as being dissorganised and frankly a bit backward. People there want good infrastructure, a lot more than they want endless welfare 'allowances', e.g. 'communion allowance', 'back to school allowance', 'fuel allowance', 'mobile phone allowance' etc.

Spain also has double the unemployment that we have with GDP growth and GDP per capita way behind Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hardy_buck

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what I am going to post is off topic, so I will keep it short. The **** infrastructure and services here are all a result OTT social welfare and PS... They are seen as sacred cows, a cent goes to anything else and its seen as wanton waste to politicians, as a euro in extra welfare or a tax cut, is worth a hell of a lot more votes than a euro somewhere else...

In my opinion it would have been a fantastic investment to deviate the money from welfare to MN etc, instead it has just gone up in smoke...

At this moment in time, I am happy with any fudging, that will result in the postponement of anything being done on this corridor, because if that joke Luas option is chosen, it is the worst possible outcome...

Are you kidding me!? look at what has happened when they try to bring in a measly water charge! The professionally entitled are untouchable in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's interesting because if you take a country like Spain, poorer than Ireland by all accounts, it has excellent high speed and conventional rail, the cities all have metro and trams with 100% integrated ticketing needless to say. Every city and even large towns have bike schemes, there are good cycling facilities across the country and over the past 15 years they've spent mountains of money on water. Mainland Spain now has good quality water services across the mainland.

All this form a country that is traditionally seen as being dissorganised and frankly a bit backward. People there want good infrastructure, a lot more than they want endless welfare 'allowances', e.g. 'communion allowance', 'back to school allowance', 'fuel allowance', 'mobile phone allowance' etc.

Spain also has double the unemployment that we have with GDP growth and GDP per capita way behind Ireland.

So all that infrastructure hasn't been so successful in Spain then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

We could go back to the horse and cart I suppose.

It's been very successful and has kept Spain moving despite the global financial crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Imagine what Spain would be like without the (fantastic) infrastructure it has!

The fault lies ultimately with the Irish people and in particular the people of Greater Dublin for not screaming for the Interconnector AND Metro North. Apathy abounds....we deserve it as we let it happen to us. If 50k people from the greater Dublin area marched for underground rail, Dublin would get it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But we have great motorways in the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

murphaph wrote: »
    Imagine what Spain would be like without the (fantastic) infrastructure it has!

The fault lies ultimately with the Irish people and in particular the people of Greater Dublin for not screaming for the Interconnector AND Metro North. Apathy abounds....we deserve it as we let it happen to us. If 50k people from the greater Dublin area marched for underground rail, Dublin would get it.

You don't see many other countries requiring mass protest to get stuff done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

But we have great motorways in the sticks.

A predominately rural political system that doesn't understand public transport. The vast majority of our TDs spring from rural Ireland. Its also fair to say that over the years, even Dublin based TDs originated from rural Ireland directly or indirectly via their families. The car was the first sign of success in Ireland. That continues to this day and hasn't changed. Public transport was lost on the donkey cart brigade that chose the car once they could afford it. The bus became the de facto public transport option as it yielded cheaper offerings in rural Ireland. That was post WW2. Subsequently the railways died and their death spread to Dublin as a rural dominated political system that had cars thought the Harcourt Street line was similar to the Cliften line and should close. Ya gotta remember that a Dublin surburban railway closed before the West Cork lines.:rolleyes:

The moral of the story is simple. Irelands political system came about when we only had one real city of any population. It had a very good tram system that was ripped up because apparently buses could do it better and cheaper. Not a problem in rural Ireland, but a ****ing big problem in a city that quite obviously would grow and grow in tandem with car ownership. It did and now we find ourselves here.

Historically roads dominate things because of our poltical system. I'm way off topic, but the Fingal thing will be dominated by what I have already mentioned, because the mentality hasn't changed and has become ingrained into our culture that it will never be an election issue.

Also keep in mind the anglosphere means that our brightest have been exported for generations leaving the backwardsmen behind. Other countries had to keep their smarti pants people because learning another language was exponentially more difficult.

Also keep in mind the anglosphere means that our brightest have been exported for generation leaving the backwardsmen behind. Other countrieshad to keep their smarti pants people because learning another language was exponentially more difficult.

Good point, but to be honest I'd take crumbling infrastructure over an inability to engage with most of the world, in particular the business world any day of the week.

hardy_buck wrote: »
    Good point, but to be honest I'd take crumbling infrastructure over an inability to engage with most of the world, in particular the business world any day of the week.

Spain is perfectly capable of engaging with most of the world, in fact Spain is the the wealthiest state in the Spanish speaking world, and English is commonly understood in Spain.

Spain is perfectly capable of engaging with most of the world, in fact Spain is the the wealthiest state in the Spanish speaking world, and English is commonly understood in Spain.

I'm sorry but I beg to differ, out of all the 'developed' European nations, Spain has one of the worst grasps of English compared to Germany, Scandanavia, Switzerland etc.

Anyways this is going off topic.. to bring it back on topic I see that the government has found an extra €1.5Bn: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/tax-surge-adds-to-calls-for-more-spending-in-budget-1.2337979

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

English is commonly understood in Spain.

That's probably just the 800,000 british immigrants living in Spain... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

government has found an extra €1.5Bn

Did someone say West on Track ? ;)

Did someone say West on Track ? ;)

If only there was some kind of corridor that could be extended...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I'm sorry but I beg to differ, out of all the 'developed' European nations, Spain has one of the worst grasps of English compared to Germany, Scandanavia, Switzerland etc.

Very true; I spend a lot of time there away from the tourist resorts - very few speak English.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the Gov are talking about a second runway, might that not increase the demand for a decent link to the airport? Either Metro North or the Clongriffin Dart spur - or both.

• Advertisement

...or turning more of the fields around the airport into lucrative (low quality) car parks.

If the Gov are talking about a second runway, might that not increase the demand for a decent link to the airport? Either Metro North or the Clongriffin Dart spur - or both.

the passenger numbers will be as good as 25,000,000 this year, Ryanair announced over a million extra seats on Dublin routes today. Airport numbers with 10% growth will hit 35,000,000 by end of 2019... Currently growth is 15% this year, throw in the IAG takeover of AerLingus, I think they said they would route another 2.5 million through Dublin and all of the other growth. That corridor with all the development land alongside it, would probably have MN packed from the get go, bear in mind, nothing will be ready for what? another 5-6 years minimum? Cant wait to see what the city is like then! Its going to be off the wall...

murphaph wrote: »
    ...or turning more of the fields around the airport into lucrative (low quality) car parks.

... or commercial/industrial sites providing employment - needing more transport links.

... or commercial/industrial sites providing employment - needing more transport links.
    ...to which the "solution" will be some half baked BRT for the poor people to use and more car parks for everyone else. The vision just isn't there. The people are content with not having what everywhere else takes for granted and most would rather a cent in the Euro reduction on their income tax (not noticing some other tax taking it back) rather than see proper infrastructural development of our country. Sad state of affairs.

A story in the Irish Times today:

There's nothing much new, save to say that a decision is imminent.
    Minister for Transport Paschal Donohoe is close to deciding whether to approve plans for a rail line connecting central Dublin with the city’s airport.

The National Transport Authority (NTA) has drawn up a shortlist of six options, including a Luas line or a revamped version of the controversial Metro North plan, for connecting the city with the airport and north Dublin suburbs.

Mr Donohoe said yesterday he expected to decide on the overall capital plan “soon” but would not be drawn on a deadline. Any recommendation he makes would have to go to Cabinet first.

The NTA’s shortlist includes a connection from the Luas cross-city line, which is now being built, and an amended Metro North, both of which would involve tunnelling under parts of Dublin. Spurs from existing rail lines and rapid bus transit also feature on the list.

I'm very nervous about this the thoughts of a botched luas line to stop a km away from the airport or shortened metro platforms to save a few cents is just too much. I'd like to see no funding until next year if it means doing it properly.

I'm very nervous about this the thoughts of a botched luas line to stop a km away from the airport or shortened metro platforms to save a few cents is just too much. I'd like to see no funding until next year if it means doing it properly.

what in gods name is their rush with this?! unless and it wouldnt surprise me, its all about votes in the upcoming election, even for the botch luas job. A lot of people in those areas would think Luas, great...

We have waited decades, are just coming out of the recession, it can wait another few years if there isnt the will or funding to do it right! It may be a hard political sell, starting MN and DU. Just get DU rolling before planning lapses...

This project is a harder sell and DU is straightforward. This route nowhere near as much, in terms of what is the best option, MN or heavy rail...

Best case might be the dart spur, at least its relatively cheap and from a political perspective, it would look like they are doing something... Worst case is luas, as it would knock MN or similar adequate solution, back decades potentially...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Of course it's all about the election.

Our esteemed Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport is under huge pressure in his constituency.

He's just picked about €8.5M out of nowhere for the redevelopment of Dalymount Park.

Now he has an opportunity to put a Luas line to the airport that will do nothing for the good of Dublin but possibly win a few votes locally.

All this at a time when his constituency is being redrawn and he loses loads of middle class voters in Drumcondra.

Another question.

Assume the Clongriffin spur was agreed by government tomorrow and funding is not an issue.

In the meantime you have (in no particular order): design (tricky in and around airport), EIS, railway order, planning application, inevitable planning appeals, CPOs, construction, testing, etc.

Is this something that could feasibly be in operation in under ten years?

• Advertisement

10 years is of course possible, I doubt there'd be many objections to a railway in the middle of nowhere.

Advertisement