Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drug squad officers views on clearing out one head shop in Galway yesterday

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Horse_box wrote: »
    Not trying to cause offence but that is a ridiculous idea!

It shouldn't and never will happen
    Thats the point! We cannot do what it takes to stop people taking drugs, so we will never get rid of drugs.
    All we can do is manage the problem but the way its done today means even my kids (primary school teacher) have access to drugs if they want them.

There has to be a better way - find a way to stop kids getting drugs or something but banning them the way they are banned today is failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Do you have a similar attitude towards skateboarders, or people who engage in activities with a high risk of costly injury?

With all due respect Dumbbell, you can hardly compare skateboarding to the taking of hallucinatory substances.

Testing sssssssone sstwo:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

With all due respect Dumbbell, you can hardly compare skateboarding to the taking of hallucinatory substances.

Testing sssssssone sstwo:rolleyes:
    Why? They're both activities in which people engage in their leisure time, and they both carry health risks that could end up costing the taxpayer.

And again, head shops were not selling hallucinogens.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Why? They're both activities in which people engage in their leisure time, and they both carry health risks that could end up costing the taxpayer.

And again, head shops were not selling hallucinogens.

If you believe that load of bulldust fair play to you.;)

You are not in my league buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

You misunderstand me man. I'm well aware the head shops were selling psychoactives for human consumption, but they were stimulants like mephedrone or cannabinoids like JWH-018. Hallucinogens would be the likes of LSD and mushrooms; the drugs sold in the establishments were certainly mind-altering but not really hallucinogenic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

LOL

This guy has to be a troll

FlutterinBantam

You never got back to me in relation to my points put forward in post 38. Maybe have a look and get back to me, buddy

You do understand that by putting the drug trade back into the hands of non-tax paying dealers it costs YOU the taxpayer more money right?

Heres a little list of what you are currently paying your taxes towards because of phohibition:

- Large amount of garda drug units
    - Petty drug crime administration staff
    - Judges salarys
    - The people in jail due to drug related offences
    - Hospital bills

A chunk of your tax is going directly towards these government costs.

If these drugs were regulated, made legal and sold with high taxes, the government would not have to pay anything towards the problems listed above as the users pay for themselves by the tax generated

By legalising and regulating certain drugs, it means YOUR tax is going to worthwile services (and bailouts!:D)

Drug trade!!! what has that to do with legitimate business?

Let me get my head around this, guns are illegal, by opening shops to sell guns legally you would appease the problem??

USA !!

Just because you pay taxes on something doesn't make it right!!

Tax cocaine to the nth degree and it's all hunky dory.:confused:

Back to the drawing board buddy:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Let me get my head around this, guns are illegal, by opening shops to sell guns legally you would appease the problem??

USA !!

Bad analogy, guns are not illegal and there are already gun shops :)

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Bad analogy, guns are not illegal and there are already gun shops :)

So you can walk in off the street and load up with an over and under?;)

• Advertisement

USA !!

Sure you were the one saying ''I'd rather drug consumers paid for their own problems'' This is the way for this to happen

Also I never mentioned cocaine. I'd never be in support of legalising a proven physically addictive drug, especially one that turns people into arrogant dickheads like coke does

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'd never be in support of legalising a proven physically addictive drug
    So, by your argument we should make the sale of Nicotine, Alcohol, Caffeine and Codeine illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

An interesting documentary on the 20 most dangerous drugs...

Horizon 20 Most dangerous Drugs

Has probably been seen by a few of you already, but worth a repost in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'm starting to have doubts about that list watching the film. Just got to solvent abuse, kills 50-60 people a year, yet cannabis higher up on the chart

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

prinz wrote: »
    From your own referenced article..

Care to check out the policies of Sweden, Finland or Greece, I mean they must be way more liberal when it comes to drugs then the Netherlands.. we heard on page one..

There's a reason countries with more liberal drugs policies have a much lower rate of drug use than those with stricter policies, the "thrill" of doing them is taken away

http://eldd.emcdda.europa.eu/html.cfm/index5174EN.html

What is the % for the Irish. I can imagine it being higher than Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Pretty well known-graph on the issue of drug use:

Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_(mean_physical_harm_and_mean_dependence).svg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

USA !!

Did you not hear about the Rocket Launchers found in Kildare?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055910597

To my understanding, Guns sold legally in the United States are registered items and each unit has a unique ballistic fingerprint which during any forensic investigation can be checked against the registry. Theres also been a drive in recent years to individually serialize bullets and shell casings but this is meeting resistance due to the cost of implementation and destruction of existing ammunition stockpiles.

Anyway, moot point.

Yes, there is a market for weapons. Always will be. From the rocket launcher to the rock, humans have always desired to have them.

Lets face it though, its not like THC would even be nearly as volatile a decision as re-legalizing personal defense weapons. How many lethalities can we honestly expect? Would these be at numbers remotely that of alcohol? If it was even 5% of all consumers of THC (which would actually be more like 0% and even -5% with medicinal use) and you taxed it @ 21% (or likely, much higher) you're still realizing a huge boost in revenue which can be injected straight into the Medical Budget.

Instead what you have is the example you shat on above: THC is directly costing the state money in regards to Law and Order. That and the money is probably winding up overseas where, currently, most of these drugs are being cultivated; instead of right at home in Legal Greenhouses.

So, by your argument we should make the sale of Nicotine, Alcohol, Caffeine and Codeine illegal?

No, but legalising more physically addictive drugs, especially cocaine would not be wise imo

I'm all for legalising non addictive relativly safe drugs. Coke is extremely bad for ones health though and is physically addictive so I wouldn't be of favour of legalising it, especially in a society where drug knowledge, or lack there of, is gained from tabloid newspapers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

No, but legalising more physically addictive drugs, especially cocaine would not be wise imo

I'm all for legalising non addictive relativly safe drugs. Coke is extremely bad for ones health though and is physically addictive so I wouldn't be of favour of legalising it, especially in a society where drug knowledge, or lack there of, is gained from tabloid newspapers

No it isn't.
    Overdosing, addiction, neglect of one's own body: that's where the drug gets it's bad name, but that's not the drug's fault, instead it's the user's ignorance that causes the negative effects. Exception is unscrupulous dealers who cut the drug with poisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

rubensni wrote: »
    No it isn't.
    Overdosing, addiction, neglect of one's own body: that's where the drug gets it's bad name, but that's not the drug's fault, instead it's the user's ignorance that causes the negative effects. Exception is unscrupulous dealers who cut the drug with poisons.

It's also bad for everyone elses health. A person on coke gets a feeling of invulnerability and self importance. Sounds great. Unfortunately the kind of person who needs to feel all powerful is the same kind of person who will beat the head off a stranger to demonstrate this power. Because not only does coke make you feel this way it also reduces your impulse control and concept of reality. If a person mixes it with alcohol a taser would have trouble taking them down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement