Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drug squad officers views on clearing out one head shop in Galway yesterday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Well maybe the State needs a nanny....no-one seems to want to do what they're bloody well told! I think we need a State Naughty Step as well instead of prisons so all those bold people can have a three minute time out and think about what they did, say sorry and off to play again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Einhard wrote: »
    I'm aware that alcohol can have serious health implications, but clearly they are not so profound, nor so immediate as using legal highs. Also, I put myself at risk by binge drinking, drinking to excess, as you point out. But someone who uses these legal highs, puts themselves at risk with one single experience of them. That's a massive difference, and as such the comparison between the two is disingenuous.
    I think your thoughts on this, while not invalid, are a little flawed.

For a start, what do you mean by "legal highs"? If you're going to compare them to alcohol, you have to do a drug by drug comparison. You can't just state that the negative effects of legal highs are more immediate and profound

I take particular issue with the following statement:
    But someone who uses these legal highs, puts themselves at risk with one single experience of them.
    How did you come to this conclusion? Earlier, you gave anecdotes about people you know who have been smoking weed for ten years, and about your brother, who began smoking legal smoking blends every night. Neither of these anecdotes indicate that a single experience of any of these drugs could put oneself at risk any more than a single drink might. And what I've said above about lumping all "legal highs" together applies here. What drugs are you talking about when you say "these legal highs"?

When you binge drink, there's no reason to suggest that you put yourself at any less risk than anyone else indulging in any other drug.

A valid point to make, however, is that there is not the same culture or attitude surrounding using drugs as there is surrounding alcohol. Drinking every day, getting drunk alone or drinking during the day is not socially acceptable (in other countries it's not socially acceptable to get plastered when going out either). However, the daily smoking of weed is not perceived to be problematic by many who support its use. While not addictive, I personally believe that daily smoking can be a very bad idea for many people (of course, there are many others for whom it is not a problem also). But there're no sensible guidelines in society for what is an advisable or acceptable frequency to be indulging in something like weed. There's just "Drugs 'r bad, mmk?" vs. "weed is harmless, go for it!". There's no middle ground, no source of non judgmental, non loaded information on what is a sensible frequency of indulgence.

Banning drugs is a harm elimination approach. Needless to say, it doesn't work and it tramples all over people's personal freedom.

What's better is a harm reduction approach. Some headshops claimed to be this. They weren't. But the idea of a regulated drugs market where information on sensible (not necessarily harmless) usage is freely available and promoted.

Seeking to eliminate the uneliminatable doesn't work. The best approach is a compromise.

(This post has been longer and more tangential than intended, apologies :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Anyway, I don't really think anyone can seriously compare the risks inherent with alcohol, and those involved with a chemical composite invented in a Far Eastern lab. Also, many people drink responsibly; they don't risk their health by doing so- indeed, it has been shown to have positive health implications. On the other hand, there is no such thing as the responsible popping of a mild altering hallucinogen. That's a pretty major difference.
    You honestly think that alcohol is the only drug with recreational potential, of all the recreational drugs which exist, that can be used responsibly and which can have positive health effects?

Ad why does the method or location of the production of a chemical have anything to do with whether it's possible to use responsibly or has positive health effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Uh huh no no no no

Let the headshops open all they want, but let the punters who USE THEM and inevitably get into trouble, fund their own rehab.

No hiding behind general taxes.

Soon put a stop to this wankery;)

You're not thinking this through.

Should McDonalds pay people's gym memberships?

Should the LVA pay for people to go to rehab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Personally ,I've never had trouble with headshops ,as is the same with a lot of people.

But ,peoples concerns were completely ignored and rational thought when out the window. Thats the problem and thats why the government banned the stuff.
    It's not the drugs that were the sole problem ,it was the way people were being treated in small towns around ireland.

It's crazy to expect this stuff to be sold on every street corner ,thats never what it was all about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Funkfield wrote: »
    You're not thinking this through.

Should McDonalds pay people's gym memberships?

Should the LVA pay for people to go to rehab?

heh he... you're the one not thinking this through.

You are going on to the ridiculous.

Should Ford pay for those involved in car accidents....

Start again buddy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Uh huh no no no no

Let the headshops open all they want, but let the punters who USE THEM and inevitably get into trouble, fund their own rehab.

Soon put a stop to this wankery;)

You do understand that by putting the drug trade back into the hands of non-tax paying dealers it costs YOU the taxpayer more money right?

Heres a little list of what you are currently paying your taxes towards because of phohibition:

- Large amount of garda drug units
    - Petty drug crime administration staff
    - Judges salarys
    - The people in jail due to drug related offences
    - Hospital bills

A chunk of your tax is going directly towards these government costs.

If these drugs were regulated, made legal and sold with high taxes, the government would not have to pay anything towards the problems listed above as the users pay for themselves by the tax generated

By legalising and regulating certain drugs, it means YOUR tax is going to worthwile services (and bailouts!:D)

Some people will use drugs regardless of whether they're legal or not. It's obvious though that literally selling them on the street corner, and legally, entices people who would not have encountered them otherwise. This really can't be denied. Otherwise, why set up the shops in the first place?

I agree with you there. The way the headshops opened 24hrs was really cheeky as they knew people with a few drinks in them would be more likely to want their products. This is where strict regulations should have been brought in to keep opening times to normal business hours

These are good points, but I'd stilla argue that no drug is safe. It's ridiculous the way some supporters of legal highs point out that alcohol and tobacco are dangerous but legal, and then state that their substance of choice should be legalised on that basis. Surely if the drugs are dangerous, then there's a case to be made for their prohibition, regardless of what else is legally available?

No drug is completely safe, fair enough. There are however certain drugs eg MDMA that have extensive and prolonged research on them and have been found to be very safe as long as it's not abused over a long period of time. It's moreso about education and damage limitation at this stage, as we know people are going to go out and consume drugs

The alcohol vs drugs argument has been done to death alright and it can be misleading when used in defense of illegal drugs so I wont get into that

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

See, you don't get my point. If alcohol was a recent discovery, and imbibed by only a small section of society, we would ban it. But it's neither. It's millenia old and used by approx 95% of the adult population. It would be impossible to prohibit its consumption. The same isn't true of legal highs, or drugs in general. e can prohibit them with a degree of success. It's not perfect obviously, but it's an objective that's far more achievable than outlawing alcohol.

Anyway, I don't really think anyone can seriously compare the risks inherent with alcohol, and those involved with a chemical composite invented in a Far Eastern lab. Also, many people drink responsibly; they don't risk their health by doing so- indeed, it has been shown to have positive health implications. On the other hand, there is no such thing as the responsible popping of a mild altering hallucinogen. That's a pretty major difference.

I think your post is well thought out but I would like to point out a few things.

First of all I think comparisons with alcohol made by cognitive libertarians are a bit old hat and constantly brought up in drug arguments; however pointing out that its legality is because its use is socially acceptable is too. Substances other than alcohol are used by the same fraction of society that they always have, and for thousands of years as well. Sure, that doesn't apply to mephedrone and the other ****e that has come to be sold in head shops, but the popularity of mephedrone is only due to the prohibition of other substances.

A society with a sane approach to substances would never see the sort of industrial chemistry that produces the beta-ketones and synthetic cannabinoids that are neurotoxic and possibly carcinogenic as are/were sold in head shops. Since mephedrone et al are banned now anyway, I think this discussion of headshops is now theoretical; headshops in a free society would probably sell cannabis, DMT and ergolines which are definitely safer and have seen millenia of use in one form or another.

Secondly, I disagree that there is no such thing as responsible use of hallucinogens. Hallucinogens have been used in rites of passage, religious rituals and recreationally by civilisations stretching as far back as the invention of writing. I can provide links if you are interested, it's a fascinating subject.

Absolutely there is no responsible use of unresearched chemicals such as mephedrone and JWH-018 (while they remain so), but a society that allowed research of cannabis and other substances, as well as research into the safest analogues of MDMA (for instance, MDAI shows promise as an empathogen and SERT but is not as neurotoxic as MDMA) could definitely allow the responsible use of hallucinogens. You cite research that mentions the health benefits of drinking; there have been many scholarly studies showing the positive health effects of responsible psychedelic use, particularly in a clinical settings. :)

Certainly what we don't need is muddying of the waters by the irresponsible sale of novel chemicals to the public and people like Helen Stone and other headshop apologists have not got a leg to stand on. If the amount of effort these greedy entepreneurs spent on importing vast quantities of filth, lying about its purpose and selling it to people was spent on trying to stop the ridiculous practice of putting drug users in jail, we'd be in a better society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

PCPhoto wrote: »
    thats b0llox !!! ..... curran was drunk and high on weed at 17yrs of age .... and is a scumbag, he wanted the polish lads to goto the off licence to buy him and mates drink, the polish lads refused.... so he went off - got a screwdriver and tried threatening/bullying them into doing it .... and we all know what happened next (he went overboard)

(this info is from two sources one of the witnesses and also one of the neighbours in the area at the time
    )
    would be good if you could quote the sources all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

If someone been laid off with little prospect of work and the government seemed to be indirectly supporting illegal drugs markets I would say becoming a dealer/mover etc would be high on the list of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Buddy, I'd rather drug consumers paid for their own problems.

get your head fcuked up by some head shop **** shit, pay the doctor yourself and pay the hospital yourself, on your own pal.

Don't expect me to clean up after you or pay for Dr. Feelgood's Beemer.

That's the way I roll buddy....ingest all you like but you are on your own.
    Thats silly. If someone has a car crash, should we determine if he was at fault before deciding whether to cut him out or not?
    Should we decide not to bother cutting him out because it's his choice to drive?

Don't care about head shops (never even set foot in one) but I can tell you that illegal drugs are so ingrained that even some primary school kids can get them. Especially in socially disadvantaged areas, where I could swear sometimes that some of my pupils are being bread to be criminals.
    These same children will earn a little pocket money selling drugs to their mates at every opportunity and it seems like there is nothing we can do to stop them.

Please get rid of all drugs but if you cannot get rid of them, at least make sure that it's some bit of a challenge for children to get and, in the event that some do get them, make sure that they are not ingesting poisons.
    I think that legalising and taxing them is the way to go - maybe each store selling them should have to pay for a guard to be present at all times to make sure that no kids are ever sold any!!

heh he... you're the one not thinking this through.

You are going on to the ridiculous.

Should Ford pay for those involved in car accidents....

Start again buddy;)

You're just adding to my argument. It's the same thing.

Ford, or any other car manufacturer, shouldn't pay for people involved in car accidents.
    McDonalds shouldn't pay for any gym memberships.
    LVA shouldn't pay for rehab.
    And Head-Shops shouldn't pay for rehab.

Any reason why head-shops should, if they were legal, be treated any differently than the other bodies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cowen4life

I think some people are saying that we should legalise drugs like cannabis, tax it, and the government will gain and the illegal drug dealers will suffer.

If it were legalised would it not make Ireland one of the biggest exporters of drugs to other countries thus making drug dealers millions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Are head shops licensed premises?

Is there any control on who sets them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

cowen4life wrote: »
    I think some people are saying that we should legalise drugs like cannabis, tax it, and the government will gain and the illegal drug dealers will suffer.

If it were legalised would it not make Ireland one of the biggest exporters of drugs to other countries thus making drug dealers millions?
    Usual Customs and excise, smuggling laws, and the others countries drug laws would still apply.

pooch90 wrote: »
    Thats silly. If someone has a car crash, should we determine if he was at fault before deciding whether to cut him out or not?
    Should we decide not to bother cutting him out because it's his choice to drive?

Don't care about head shops (never even set foot in one) but I can tell you that illegal drugs are so ingrained that even some primary school kids can get them. Especially in socially disadvantaged areas, where I could swear sometimes that some of my pupils are being bread [sic] to be criminals.
    These same children will earn a little pocket money selling drugs to their mates at every opportunity and it seems like there is nothing we can do to stop them.

Please get rid of all drugs but if you cannot get rid of them, at least make sure that it's some bit of a challenge for children to get and, in the event that some do get them, make sure that they are not ingesting poisons.
    I think that legalising and taxing them is the way to go - maybe each store selling them should have to pay for a guard to be present at all times to make sure that no kids are ever sold any!!

No. Just put up an over 21s sign only if head shops are to be tolerated. Agree with on point about the availability of these drugs which we really dont know that much about.
    There is to much of a liberal agenda going round about the head shops. They are a relatively new phenemonen here and as such folks shouldn't be expected to welcome these proprietors with open arms.

No, in the brief time they existed here ANYONE could set one up.

They should have been licensed, heavily regulated and heavily taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

cowen4life wrote: »

Well first of all i'd doubt irish dealers are smart enough to setup export infrastructures!

Also, why would international dealers import to Ireland just for Irish ones to export again losing time, money, and quality of product?

So if irish dealers were to start exporting, then they'd need to get home grown stuff which A) can be easily monitored and controlled in such a small country as Ireland so they can't just start making their own fields, and B) would be pretty rubbish compared to available stuff elsewhere and have little international demand.

The last option for them would be to buy legally here, and sell illegally abroad, thus making their millions......which of course comes back to Ireland as 42% tax when they're buying it to export in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

No. Just put up an over 21s sign only if head shops are to be tolerated. Agree with on point about the availability of these drugs which we really dont know that much about.
    There is to much of a liberal agenda going round about the head shops. They are a relatively new phenemonen here and as such folks shouldn't be expected to welcome these proprietors with open arms.
    Actually we could impose mandatory blood testing on all children every week or two to catch the ones taking drugs and move against the parents.

Same could be done for all adults I suppose - have them come to the clinic once a week for a few years and jail anyone with drugs in their system or who fails to show.

Not sure if that's an Ireland i want to live in but its the only way to get rid of drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Stky10 wrote: »
    Here's some examples
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal --- Check out the Results section
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands --- Check out the 'Results of the drug policy' section

From your own referenced article..
    In the Netherlands 9.7% of young adults (aged 15–24) consume soft drugs once a month, comparable to the level in Italy (10.9%) and Germany (9.9%) and less than in the UK (15.8%) and Spain (16.4%),[20] but higher than in, for example, Sweden (3%), Finland or Greece

Care to check out the policies of Sweden, Finland or Greece, I mean they must be way more liberal when it comes to drugs then the Netherlands.. we heard on page one..

There's a reason countries with more liberal drugs policies have a much lower rate of drug use than those with stricter policies, the "thrill" of doing them is taken away

http://eldd.emcdda.europa.eu/html.cfm/index5174EN.html

Actually we could impose mandatory blood testing on all children every week or two to catch the ones taking drugs and move against the parents.

Same could be done for all adults I suppose - have them come to the clinic once a week for a few years and jail anyone with drugs in their system or who fails to show.

Not sure if that's an Ireland i want to live in but its the only way to get rid of drugs.

Not trying to cause offence but that is a ridiculous idea!

It shouldn't and never will happen

So you would be okay with minors going into these head shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

If their parents are happy with them doing that then what's your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dkin

I think the constant comparisons with alcohol is lazy reasoning. Are people really suggesting that we allow the one because the other is also legal?

Everyone is pointing out the hypocrisy of allowing one drug to be legal and massively available while banning other more benign substances. See for instance these graphs.
    Not exactly a great basis on which to form legislation.

I think most of the arguments are based on the simple fact that prohibition doesn't work and has never worked. Civil liberties and a whole load of other arguments also enter in (controlling criminal gangs etc.). It is lazy reasoning to simply assume that because one person makes the alcohol/tobacco argument they don't have many other good reasons.
    The reality is that alcohol is too ingrained in human culture to be prohibited now. It just wouldn't be possible to ban pubs and off licences. It's the same with tobacco. The situation is different with these legal highs. Relative to the other two, a small proportion of the population use them. I don't see the merit in keeping them legal because alcohol is, when even those who propose this, acknowledge the harm that alcohol can cause.

I completely disagree with prohibition as I think it inevitably leads to the substance taking on an illicit, counter cultural aura thereby massively increasing the attraction for many people especially the most vulnerable.

Based on your argument maybe marijuana should be legalised? It's is a drug with a huge circulation and deeply ingrained in youth culture.

My opinion of the issue is that these substances should be sold but in a strictly regulated manor, the problem with the head shops at the moment is that it is too easy for people to get their hands on the drugs. The problem is identical with alcohol and tobacco. Having off licences on every street corner and cigarettes in every shop where the drugs are highly accessible is no good.

I would require everyone to first go to the doctor and after being briefed on the effects of the drug he would like to take the person is given a card that he can use in a small number of government run centres. Maybe 1/2 in every large city. The person is not allowed to buy more than enough for a single person for one day and the buying frequency is recorded.
    Heroin addicts and other heavy drug users should also use the same clinic so that the buyer can talk to and witness some of the effects of more harmful drugs. Nothing about this clinic should be cool or trendy instead a white sterile environment similar to a hospital.
    If a person buys with a very high frequency he should be given a mandatory meeting with a doctor/specialist to highlight the danger he is causing to his body but at no time should anyone be prohibited. Upon entry to a hospital if you are known to be a high frequency drug user you should not get priority over heath conscious people (this should apply to alcohol and tobacco users as well).
    I also think alcohol and tobacco should slowly move towards this form of regulation, due to the cultural ingraining this cannot happen quickly but if approached slowly over a period of several years during which time licences were not renewed and off licences were closed down we could eventually reach that stage although maybe not to the same extent.
    Also, I think it's pretty plain to all but the most partisan supporters of head shops, that their wares are far more potent, and potentially damaging than alcohol, and even tobacco.
    Although no long term studies of mephedrone have been conducted it is in the amhetamine class of drugs then (assuming the long term effects are similar) according to the lancet graph posted, it is slighlt more harmful than alcohol but also less addictive. The addictive nature is very important however as if a drug is only moderately harmful in small doses like tobacco but very addictive then overtime the effect is far worse than the more harmful drug taken with lesser frequency. However it is important to note no long term studies have been conducted.
    My group of friends have all been drinking for at least ten years, and none of us suffer drink related ailments. I do know several people however, who've been smoking weed for the same period, and a sizeable proportion have been seriously and adversely affected by this. It's as plain as day. It's so bad that sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between their stoned state and their natural state.
    I think if you've been drinking for ten years you will likely have suffered long term harmful effects. In particular areas of your brain are likely to be impaired and you probably don't have the cognitive reasoning and ability you would have had you not drank. See here for links to articles. Also remember that in Ireland our idea of an occasional drinker is different from the scientific literature where a binge is considered to be be four or more pints. Tobacco due to its highly addictive nature is worse again as its harmful effects are constanly reinforced until death.

Final note is that people need to take responsibility for their actions, if someone decides to take drugs with their eyes open and knows all the harmful effects that who am I or you to decide what they can put into their bodies? However they also must accept personal responsibility for their actions.

Who says their parents have no problem with it.
    I dont get your argument.
    I have heard instances of residents in both Clontarf and Malahide objecting to these head shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

There was some very brief talk of creating a licence that would cost 200 grand. However, this would obviously legitimise them too much and would harm attempts to legislate them out of existence.
    Funkfield wrote: »
    No, in the brief time they existed here ANYONE could set one up.

They should have been licensed, heavily regulated and heavily taxed.

The problem is that most of the arguments in favour of head shops in some form or another centre around them being an alternative to drug dealers. There were headshops before, going all the way back to 2001 (when I remember there being "super skunk" and various mixes of parsley and oregano in a certain shop that catered to goth/minirocker types). Only when they were able to offer a cheaper and effective (but extremely unsafe) alternative to illegal drugs did they become popular.

It's not unreasonable to doubt that extremely regulated and taxed headshops which would pass expenses on to a consumer would be able to undercut drug dealers. For instance, some medical marijuana patients still go to drug dealers for their medicine because it is cheaper. On the other hand, quality control of chemicals, proper work with health authorities and strict age control are absolutely necessary in future drug dispensaries and must be the financial burden of the dispensaries themselves (and their consumers), so I agree with the above caveat (and also what I stated before about their choice of products).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Uh huh no no no no

Do you have a similar attitude towards skateboarders, or people who engage in activities with a high risk of costly injury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

It's completely absurd to assert that alcohol is unique amongst the 1000s of psychoactives in that it can be enjoyed responsibly.

Head shops were not selling any hallucinogens at the time the bill was passed, by the way.
    Ok, this is the nonsense that annoys me. Anytime the government does something that someone doesn't agree with, we're living in a nanny state.

The government lowers drink drive limits....

The government makes wearing of seat belts compulsory...

The government prohibits smoking indoors in public places...

Nanny state, nanny state, nanny state...
    You can still drink. You can still drive your car. You can still smoke tobacco. Please tell me how I can legally imbibe cannabis, MDMA, or mephedrone in this country without being part of a clinical trial.

With the proposed legislation, the government is effectively attempting to ban getting high. How are these not the actions of a nanny state?
    See, you don't get my point. If alcohol was a recent discovery, and imbibed by only a small section of society, we would ban it. But it's neither. It's millenia old and used by approx 95% of the adult population. It would be impossible to prohibit its consumption. The same isn't true of legal highs, or drugs in general. e can prohibit them with a degree of success. It's not perfect obviously, but it's an objective that's far more achievable than outlawing alcohol.
    The status quo can and should be challenged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

Ok, this is the nonsense that annoys me. Anytime the government does something that someone doesn't agree with, we're living in a nanny state.

The government lowers drink drive limits....

The government makes wearing of seat belts compulsory...

The government prohibits smoking indoors in public places...

Nanny state, nanny state, nanny state...

the 3 instances you refer to above would have a direct impact on others due to my personal choices to which I would not refer to as nanny state

if I want to and I will partake in some substance use the odd time throughout a year then it's my choice. it is the choice of a lot of people worldwide mate. I usually refer to things stinking of nanny state when it is something i know for a fact that my nanny wouldn't even tell me not to do.

and what does she know only the dribble the media and totally out of touch politicians. what experience do any of them have in their fields?

minister for health? minster for finance? education? the actual drugs tzar?

they don't have a clue and I tend to trust tried and tested advice over anyhing my government tries to tell me is bad for me for my own good.

Advertisement