Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heh. I'm starting to like the sound of this Microcube.

/scowls at MG beside him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, I'm pondering getting a job til Christmas. Should end up with about €1500. Then an ENGL combo wouldn't be unreasonable or even something from Ernie Ball. Spend the other money on the amp or guitar (whichever I didn't buy).

TBH, I'm not impressed by Mesa cleans. ENGL sounds nicer :D The microcube roxors tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Go for the job so, that way you won't have to skimp on the old Guitar, and at the same time, you can get quite a nice amp. Although I still say a Microcube would be a good option.

Why not get the John Petrucci signiature model Musicman?
    How much would one cost, do you know?

The JP model is pushing five grand the last time I checked :(

ERK!

That's a lot of money!

• Advertisement

Two and a half times the price of a Leviathan...

Are you considering getting a Leviathan?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Not a fan of the Tremonti SE doc?I heard they were good value!I don't know play bass myself.I like the distortion off a MGDFX.Better than a Fender Stage Combo.

And tbh, the distortion from a Microcube is nicer than the MGDFX.

Na Karl, too expensive for me. Plus the style doesn't suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Mongo wrote:
    Not a fan of the Tremonti SE doc?I heard they were good value!I don't know play bass myself.I like the distortion off a MGDFX.Better than a Fender Stage Combo.

Nah, there are much, much butter guitars out there which just have less fashionable brand names and cost a lot less too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i have the mg250dfx... i have to admit,, depending on the settings you can get **** distortions.. but mess around with it for a little while and you can get some awesome distortion!!! and the effects on it are pretty good also..

Hmm, it seems that the option for an ME-50 and and Engl combo are suddenly quite possible...

Engl combo, about €800

Get a better guitar then the LTD FFS!

i know you said no second hand but... but.. mmmm

36_1_b.JPG

see here

TBH, my LTD feels and sounds better than basically every guitar I've ever tried. Admittedly, the only high end guitars I've tried have been a Gibson Les Paul Special, Gibson Gothic Explorer and a few high end Godins.

As for that PRS, I've seen nicer looking haemorroids. TBH, if I was going to spend €1200 on a guitar, a PRS is near to the bottom of the list.

A Gibson Les Paul Special? Godins? High end guitars? This isn't North Korea, my friend.

Godin are made in Canada...

Eeen my cowntreeee, Godins don't qualify as high end, more upper-middle class. Sort of like a new Primera.

OK then boss, what's your version of High end?

This would qualify.

rg8520.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

big fan of ibanez aren't we? :cool:

Unfortunately, I'm not. HAven't played a prestige neck but generally I don't like the feel of the lower models (rg570 etc)

This too. The fact that the one your thinking of has LTD written on it suggests corners were cut somewhere.

MII.jpg

Meh. Lower models and higher models are different guitars. If Epiphones felt like Gibsons, noone would buy Gibson.

that esp looks like a jackson dxmg......

See, I'm still trying to see the logic of running a €1200+ guitar into a €100 amp. Really doesn't make sense to me.

That ESP is basically what I have, except in LTD with a rosewood board and EMG's. Bolt On.

you'll just have to do what i did.
    blow all your money on the guitar then wait a while to get the amp.

But my point is, no matter how good the guitar is, it's still going to sound ****e going through a bad amp.

The amp is temporary, the guitar is for life. If you're selling your gear to upgrade, then upgrade properly. Get a top quality guitar. You will always play that guitar, at gigs , at rehearals, at home, whenever, you will always have to play your guitar, so don't compromise. It will be the one constant in your musical life. Buy a decent amp for the moment, a la Peavey Bandit, Line 6 Spider, whatever. The amp will only serve a purpose for a time. It will do. When you do a gig, you may or may not use your own amp, either way, it will do. When you're rehearsing, you may or may not use your own amp, either way, it will do. When you're playing at home, are you really going to be playing loud enough to get the best of of a good amp? Unlikely. You don't really need a great amp until you're gigging and recording in studios. Since that may not be next week, or even the week after, I put it to you, you have time to save and get a great amp while making use of a decent amp in the meanwhile. If you compromise on the guitar or the amp at this stage, you will just be going through this process again in the future, for both the guitar and the amp.

• Advertisement

not as **** as a **** guitar through a **** amp

Advertisement